Save on Foods Employee Reviews for Bakery Clerk

Found 33 reviews matching the search See all 1,196 reviews
Work envirnment
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 October 2019
The team menbers were pleasent but management team were selfish and only looked out for themselvs. I often had to deal with messes they left behind or fill their shoes for them when they werent there
Fun place to work specially helping customers.
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC17 September 2019
Working for Save on Foods for almost 20 years gave me an opportunity to improve myself in comes of work etiquette.
Very warm environment to work .
Benefits are great and with Union too it just make my job secure.
Great place to work with an awesome team
Deli/Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Revelstoke, BC11 September 2019
Busy store for a small town . Meet people from all around the world mostly during ski season . Locals are awesome and friendly. Lots of outdoor activities for all ages . Skiing,skating,swimming and hiking just to name a few .
Worst Management I've ever experienced
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Revelstoke, BC5 September 2019
Management does not care about anything but themselves and their precious night shift. People working the day shift have been having their hours cut in favor of the night shift, which they aren't even allowed to do because they're supposed to cut hours from the most recent hire up, and the night shifters haven't been there that long.
They just started a new bakery overnight shift that they didn't offer to anyone already working there, and I am being pushed out of my job as a result. If you have the choice, don't work here. You can talk to management until you're blue in the face and they'll claim to hear you and will 'look into the problem', but then nothing changes and suddenly things are somehow getting worse. The one good thing was the other eople that worked there, but now management has them all so bitter and angry that it's not a fun environment anymore. I'm done with this company, don't even plan on shopping with them anynore after I quit.
They’re a good place to start out
Bakery Clerk/Baker, Deli Clerk and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, BC19 August 2019
It was a good first job. I worked with Save On from the time I was 15 until I was 18, and they were really flexible around my school schedule which was great at the time. They have benefits after 6months which is great and automatic pay raises after you’ve worked a certain amount of hours.
Great Workplace!
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  British Columbia17 July 2019
I’ve worked at Save On Foods for 3 years and I really enjoy it! In my specific store, the people are very nice and the managers are super helpful and understanding. The pay is nothing special. However, you receive benefits if you work 32 hours +. I think this job is awesome for high school students and/or college students. It’s a great first job!
Pros
Benefits, Paid breaks and one unpaid lunch, friendly staff!
Cons
Ok wage
great place to work for 26 years
Bakery Clerk/ phamacy assistant (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC6 June 2019
I enjoyed both of my positions...had worked in pharmacies for over 20 years..just wanted a change..loved working 530-100 in bakery..had all day after work..The staff at save on became some of my best friends who i still keep in close contact with..The pharmacy manager was here just yesterday for visit..I like to keep busy at my work,and both places were the perfect places for that.the best part of my jobs were me being able to help the sick get better in the pharmacy and getting them treats in the bakery
Pros
staff all got along
Cons
my inability to help some of the sick
Learned a lot, but not a great experience.
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 May 2019
I learned a lot from my main supervisor, but as far as store management they were pretty much useless. I never saw one of them down on the floor for more than a couple of minutes and then they'd run away back to the office. Poor leadership, treated staff poorly. Not a healthy work environment at all and it's only getting worse.
Pros
Decent benefits once passed probation
Cons
Awful management.
No support
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 April 2019
Management doesn't care at all about you or any troubles you are having in your department. If you need help from management or someone from a different department you would have better luck wishing on a star.
Be prepared to take all abuse from customers with a smile because if you aren't pleasant to the customers even when they're yelling and swearing at you, you can get in trouble.
Be prepared for a culture that pushes you towards voluntarily working unpaid over time and punishing you in millions of petty ways when you don't.
Pros
Food in the breakroom, cable tv, couches, guarunteed raises
Cons
Low pay, few hours if part time, no clear communication between departments
Worked as bakery stay away
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK31 March 2019
I worked as a bakery meats and grocery person if your looking for someone whos getting their hours cut this job is it. The managers are horrible they don’t even know who to do their job correctly. I asked one of the managers for a reference he said “I would rather not” please do not work here it’s stressful and the managers are dumb
bakery
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT29 March 2019
at the beginning all sounded all fine and dandy until about 6 months in when you found out you had to work 13 months the get benefits...we were lied to in orientation. half of mgmt are great including the store manager, but the other half suck.
Much ado about nothing
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 March 2019
Each store is different so please keep that in mind.
While there is a union it is not always effective. Management gets offended when you bring the union in to discuss something. It is not uncommon to not feel listened to or that management is actively forgetting what you said as you are saying it.
Hours are constantly cut and management has unreal expectations of what staff can accomplish.
Boring
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB13 August 2018
In the bakery I was usually working alone which made it very boring and when there was a lot to get done it was sometimes overwhelming for one person to get finished.
A great place to look for both semi and permanent work
BAKERY CLERK (Former Employee) –  126 Kensington Blvd, Saskatoon, SK S7L 6V72 March 2018
My typical day at work was signing in and then throwing away what product went bad that day. I then went and gathered the product needed to fill shelves for the day, and went over what cake orders were done or needed to be done. Then I would start making the popcorn, and periodically throughout the day serve customers and make popcorn bags.

I learned many valuable decorating, time management, and personable skills.

The management was all kind and understanding, they did their best to help you do your best.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Not enough hours for everyone at the time I was working there
its a great place but with alot of drama
Bakery clerk (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK28 October 2017
great for the first bit. it then has filled with drama. Costumers had completes about the prices not always being up. it is a friendly place to shop..
Overall good experience
Cashier and Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC13 October 2017
The store was not very good with scheduling. The schedule changed almost every day. However, the management was awesome and very helpful. The environment at the workplace was very positive aswell.
co workers were great and store managers were great
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, AB3 September 2017
I didn't really have a problem with this employer but i didn't like how the bakery managers treated people. Overall it was not a bad store and the selection and quality of products was very good.
Pros
friendly
Cons
not enough hours
I hated this job
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC3 May 2017
Job while in high school, was taken advantage of in more than one way. Never received a raise and was given minimal hours. Employees only stay because the union gave good wages for those who started 15 years ago. Very monotonous and boring.
It was good but it got too repetitive.
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB6 March 2017
I liked working there, the people were friendly and the work was manageable. I loved the morning shifts especially since I got to work with other people which i preferred. Sadly due to school I mainly got closing shifts, which meant me, all by my self, alone. But it taught me how to handle problems, sometimes things would go wrong and I'd have to fix it my self, which is good. But in the end It was getting to repetitive.
Pros
Always busy, Flexible Schedule, Great Management
Cons
Repetitive, Handling Frozen Foods
good learning experience
Cashier and Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC2 March 2017
this is a good company to work for if it is your first job. you learn man skills to get you through life.

I don't believe the management staff was very well trained in dealing with the staff, but i liked working there very much
Cons
constant schedule changes with little to no notice

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.