Save On Foods

Vancouver, BC85 reviews

Found 85 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,779 reviews
savesaveongroceryfoodunionstoredepartmentwage

Management is bad

The sanitary situation is bad and managers do not care about it. If you are sick in emergency and ask a leave they will blame you and don't give you off. That is horrible.

High stress and low pay.

Not a great place to work. They claim to be about the people but are more about making them work until they can’t take it anymore because they are expected to do too much all at once.

Insights into Save On Foods

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

Good and Bad

Everything is good, environment is friendly except if you have any emergency during your shift they will not allow you to go home. I found this really disappointing, they investigate about your sickness/ emergency as if you are criminal.

Enjoyed my time there

Worked night shift shopping for customers. Easy to learn, a pretty stress free experience honestly.Didn't have to wear any uniform, and no customers which is always nice.Would recommend doing night anyways, can't speak on the day shifts.

Decent workplace, not too stressful.

The management is good, and they offer somewhat flexible hours. The job is fairly easy, albeit slow paced. Stores can get pretty busy during peak hours. Some customers may be unpleasant to deal with, but such is the nature with jobs in the retail industry.

Fun workplace

First company I worked for as a service specialist upon arriving in Canada. It is a fun workplace. The people I work with are fun and welcoming. You will not feel out of place wven on your first day. Yes, management may have some issues un decision making as it seems they are power tripping but overall great benefits and salary.

Fun workplace

Great people management, problems are solved the moment difficulties arise. Good environment for rest and lunch. Availability of change in work schedule.

Pros

Work team.

Cons

Changes in working hours

Good starter job for students to gain experience, but can get boring or stressful at times.

Gets kind of repetitive, workload depends if your store is more strict on constantly facing the shelves. It can get stressful if you struggle to finish your routine before your shift ends.

Employees are not being treated fairly. They only care about profits. They don’t take care of their hard working employees.

Management is getting worse. Hardworking people are not appreciated. Too much rules that are implemented but they don’t even think of how to take care of the employees. The environment somehow is so toxic and uncomfortable. Not so organized and no good communication between managers and employees.

Pros

Great extended benefits

Cons

Bad management

Productive and fun workplace

My overall experience with Save on Food was great. You get to meet a lot of different people, and theres tons of opportunities by just working in the store itself. but I had to leave cause I want to branch out and experience new opportunies.

Pros

Theres free lunches *occasionally Opportunities

Cons

Not enough people

Working as a PDA can be physically straining work. But if done with the knowledge of what is expected, it’s not too bad.

Working as a PDA can be physically straining work. They have procedures in place which make it easier to navigate. The hours are long but they pay decent.

Pros

Pay, long hours

Cons

Pay, long hours

Bad management = Bad work environment

If you enjoy being mis-led, micro managed, having your ideas ignored, bullied and shouted at by management then this is the place for you. Management move up dependent on how long they have been there, rather than having the skills and knowledge to do the job. Expect to work long days that start early.

Cons

Awful work life balance/ rude managers

Managers were rude and didn't want you to have a life. Heaven forbid you ask for a weekend off and swear at you if you call in sick. Especially during covid they didn't care if you were sick and had a negative test. They take you for all you have and change your schedule with no notice. Just a complete lack of respect

Dumb management

Literally the management works upfront instead of hiring people.Maybe cause they push employees multiple departments real hard.Shifts changes every week. If working full-time, days off for you definitely change upcoming week.Good news, you can view your schedule 3 weeks in advance. But if the position describes you working at the back, you'll end up covering up break for the receiver or his whole shift.NO HR, NO training shift.Save yourself, apply to any fast food chain.Save yourself, apply

Pros

Cons

Schedule changes every week, heavily understaffed, $1 over min wage 👏👏👏

Uneducated management lacking deligation.

Management doesn't know how to deligate. They work themselves up front rather than hiring people.Pay is cheap. Dollar/hour more than min wage to work multiple departments with next to no train.Scheduling is all over the place. Every week schedule changes.Don't work here as you'll be guided by high school graduates as they are at management position.

Pros

Work here, only if it's your first job

Cons

Management will make you work multiple departments.

Good for starters if willing to do exercise

I had good experience with saveonfoods, training was perfect ,this job is demands lifting some weight, if you like to do exercise take it. for me ,except the pay rate every thing was good .

Pros

Everything is good

Cons

They should increase pay rate

Bad and constantly getting worse

I worked here multiple years. Hoped things would improve but they only got worse. Employees are just a means to generate profit, their well-being is low priority. Stay away!!

Descent place to work

Most of the people are descent to be around, lots of work to do. People try to be happy which is nice. Management has a tendency to give you more responsibilities even if you don't want them. I would recommend this place to anyone that just wants to work.

Pros

Lots of work and some descent people

Cons

Some not so descent people but they don't usually last long

Fun workplace

It was overall a nice place to work at with job security, benefits and most important multicultural working environment. You will get help at every single step of your work, if needed.

Pros

Free lunches sometimes.

Great place

I would recommend it for retired people and students. I learned a lot of things I really didn't know before.They we're very understanding about me taking time off when the pandemic started.

Pros

Great Manager

Hard work for a low pay

Direct supervisors are great, nice co-workers overall, but higher management don't work well. Department usually understaffed, with bad quality systems and a total lack of procedures. A very physically demanding work.Turnover is huge due to lack of any career progress or pay bump related to employment time. They gave 0.25 + 0.25 cents raise after 300 and 600 hours respectively, which is not on par with the market wage.It is basic exploitation. I do not recommend.

Pros

Self paced environment

Cons

Physical work, low wage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save On Foods. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement