Save on Foods

Save on Foods Employee Reviews in Surrey, BC

Featured review
Save on Foods selected this as a representative review
Save-on-Foods is a good place to work with good opportunity for advancement. They offer competitive wages, great benefits, and a friendly atmosphere.My co-workers were good to work with, and several became good friends.
Everyone was quite kind to each other, and the managers were understanding, shifts could get very busy and hectic, but I never felt particularly stressed, just had my hands full.
Pros
Encouraging work space.
Cons
Difficult weekends.
They are driven by the rules of the union and are strict with amount of hours they give. Scheduler is childish and will give you bad hours if you complain. Even if you are willing to work more they won't give you hours. They often change schedule after its been posted, sometimes multiple times, so it is hard to schedule life events. Some people are hard to work with, others are very nice. They appreciate people with a good work ethic.
Its great working with save on foods. The stuff and costumers are friendly. I recommend my friends to work there. I recommend my family to work there too. Great place to work and the union is great to UFCW 1518.
They provided a lot of training and sufficient guidance throughout the first few months. The team was very inclusive and helped with training. Great Staff
No set schedule, makes it difficult to plan. Fast paced environment, multicultural. If you are a driver you're your own boss. Most of the time going back to same customers which is very convenient.
It was a joy to work at Save On Foods in South Surrey, as a cashier, and seeing my dearest friends from Wendy's Restaurant that I use to work at, and they came to see me which was a nice surprise, and the hardest of being a cashier was to do the check an customer gave you do that stuff on the back of it, and also people that smelled like pot couldn't stand the smell, and had to get another employee to take over for me. Was sure nice to meet different cultures in this world that we all live in.
While working at save on foods I made a lot of new friends since everyone there is quite nice. But the management is not the best. They don’t really care about there workers and there life’s. They care more about the company. Working with people I can call my friends was the best part because we got to talk while get our work done. Though it was stressful coming in everyday because you never really know what to expect from the managers that day.
It was a fair place to work at. Very fast paced if working as a cashier. It takes a while to gain seniority and sometimes it is not accounted for properly.
everyday is different , a great job on account of it is flexible and you never have to take work home with you . People are great and if desired you have the ability to move up quickly with in the company.
The hardest part of the job is working on cash with difficult customers. The management can sometimes be unreasonable and not always understanding from their staffs point of view. It is a very clique filled company, you sometimes feel like you can't trust anyone.
Pros
Mostly friendly staff
Cons
Not always following your schedule restrictions, sometimes unreasonable management
I learned a lot of different things Dealt with money Customers Closing my departments What I like the most was being a cashier The hardest part was the meats because I wasn’t use too but I did it at the end because I got use too it. The management was awesome All the employees were awesome
loved the employees i worked with,love how the breaks were all scheduled if you worked on the front end, bakery was my favourite department as was floral as well.
Pros
extra points
Cons
standing for a long time
When you're new, you pretty much only get the closing shifts for a long time until you get some seniority and even then it's not guaranteed you'll get any day shifts. They WILL call you to pick up shifts on your day off and/or ask if you can come in earlier/stay later. If you want a day off you have to book it 3 weeks in advance.
Pros
lots of hours. you get trained in more than one department, occasional employee lunch
Cons
late shifts, weekends, no life, no time with family, getting days off can be difficult
Can be busy at times and relaxed at other times. Management is not the best. The pay is not worth it at all, I feel like we are worked more and paid less for the job. Often times we are under-stafffed and those working are killed with the long lineups.Okay for part-time but I could never do it full time.
Good service and co-operation I always feel immensed to work here. Due to health issues I have to quit with them, but I always miss them and their work
Every person is smiling and patient in the work. People are all helpful. My English is not very good. I want to practice my listening and speaking. I am afraid that people are angry with me when I say wrong. I feel people are kind in save on food, so I want to try to get a job in here. I live in cloverdale, I want to the local near my home.
Good beginner job for experience. Coworkers for the most part are great. Expect to be called in on days off. Job gets repetitive. Have to find things to do when not busy with customers.
Pros
Always food in Employee lounge
Save on Foods developed my communication and time management skills. It is a good place to start your career. A good environment to work and also flexible.
Love the people i worked with there , they were super nice and helped me every step of the way. it was easy and not stressful at all i would so work with any save-on-food company
my store specifically had a rag tag management, mixed directions from most and a lot of slack employees would be kept over those who are hard working because they suck up to management. its affine place for a student looking for seasonal work but the long term is short lived, they make many promises to promote those who want it but rarely deliver to those who excel. the union is also not very helpful at backing employees or investigating issues in regards to management.
Pros
free deli foods and baked goods when not picked up
Cons
horrible management choices