Save on Foods

Save on Foods Employee Reviews in North Vancouver, BC

Found 19 reviews matching the search See all 1,278 reviews
Friendly
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC12 November 2019
Friendly staff. Probably the best part about the job. They became family. They make working there a lot more fun. Management wasn’t the best in my opinion, but the friendly co workers/customers make it a lot easier and worth it to be there
Productive and Fun
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC7 November 2019
The people that I got to meet and work with at Save-On-Foods were all really kind, and i felt very comfortable in the work place. It could be a little slow at times, but i did not see that as a problem
Awful work environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC28 October 2019
Definitely depends on the store you work at but Pemberton Plaza is a place you should avoid. Worst management team, negative work environment, poorly run. I’ve heard good things about other locations, and the other locations I’ve been to were much better. It all comes from the top. If the management sucks, it has a domino effect on the rest of the store.
Benefits
Cons
No communication, they’ll tell you that you suck at your job and then never give any advice on how to improve
Great place to work with lots of opportunity for career advancement
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC12 September 2019
I have been working for Save On Foods for multiple years, have tried a few different positions and gotten a lot of good experience. I love how I wasn’t just pegged to one position, and had the opportunity to try new things with their cross training schedule. I hope to move up in this company in the future years to come.
The pay is decent.
File Maintenance Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC23 July 2019
The work environment is quite negative. People talk behind each other's backs all the time, and employees who have been with the company for many years use that as an excuse to slack off and not do any work.
Engaging and fun workplace with great staff
General Clerk/Meat and Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC26 June 2019
I genuinely enjoyed working here. The staff were all very nice, management were kind and understanding, the work was enjoyable while still remaining challenging, and I felt extremely motivated to do my job to the best of my abilities.

The hardest part of the job would have to have been when it was a very busy day and having to keep up with maintaining stock, as around the holidays turkeys would go on sale and having to price up a dozen boxes of turkeys wasn't easy.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the manager I got to work with, as he was extremely fun to work with and motivated me to work more than anyone since. He also knew my strengths and weaknesses and gave me tasks based on them so I wasn't overworking myself or letting myself get complacent.

The most important things I learned while working there were that the customer is the most important part of my job, as making a customer as happy as can be ensures future sales and makes the work more enjoyable. I also learned what it means to take pride in my work no matter what my job is, as that makes the whole experience more enjoyable in the long run.
Pros
Very flexible in regards to hours. Health and benefits system.
Cons
Start at minimum wage, slow increase to wage.
Pretty decent.
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC28 January 2019
Working for save on I always managed to go back. Despite people saying it's negative it depends which store you're in because the one I was in everyone fought like they hated each other but at the end of the day we were a family. The pay could be better especially if you live in BC and are a newer employee. And I wish they had been more specific about fu!l time not being available because of the union even though you work 40 hours you're still considered part time
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Good staff bad customers
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC16 November 2018
The hard part of working at any grocery store are the customers that attend. Due to this I didn't like working at the store i was located at. It made it unpleasent to work at.
Lots to do, learn a lot
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC12 May 2018
Hard work but worth the effort. Lots of flexibility regarding shifts ie if u want later shifts u get them. Good benefits but u need to wait a year to get them and maintain 24 hr average.
Pros
3 breaks per shift
Cons
None unless u don't like 5AM shifts
Terrible work environment
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC14 January 2018
Rating is for the specific store I work at, other stores may be better. Toxic work environment, abysmal management. I would recommend anyone stay away from this location at least.
Pros
Decent medical benefits
Cons
Useless union
productive but politics and at times bad co-workers
Meat/ seafood clerk (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC13 October 2017
Save on foods, in recent years has become a striving business yet its employees at some stores ( myself included) have been stressed to the point of quitting, coworkers can at times be lazy to the point that depending on how you handle your work, can lead to no breaks or set behind in the work day, this happens regularly.
Pros
free lunches every Tuesday, great benefits and job security
An enjoyable job
Online Shopper (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC27 August 2017
Very nice and helpful employees. Very flexible work hours and good union benefits. All together created a very healthy and fun work environment. Would definitely recommend save on food for anyone looking for a good first job.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
usually short staffed
Great Place to start your working experience
Receiver/Junior Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC21 August 2017
Great place to have your first job and build skills that you can take away with you into all future job prospects. Need to be a hard worker and self starter
good learning experience
Cashier and Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC2 March 2017
this is a good company to work for if it is your first job. you learn man skills to get you through life.

I don't believe the management staff was very well trained in dealing with the staff, but i liked working there very much
Cons
constant schedule changes with little to no notice
Poor management, misleading interview, lies non flexible
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC23 February 2017
Interviewer lies about job details. Not flexible for student (need to be available ANY TIME not in school with official letter) graveyard required for everyone at some point (even when told otherwise in interview) management not willing to solve problems, half of them are not friendly,managers/supervisors. It's no wonder they have a high turnover rate. Also not environmentally friendly they have a compost but tons of food scrapes/expired food is just thrown in with plastic and non biodegradable stuff.
Pros
Two 15 minute breaks one 30
Cons
Bad management, liars, don't solve issues employees have
Never a dull moment.
Cashier/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC25 January 2017
When I worked at Save-On-Foods, I never knew what I was going to be doing that day. One day I could be on the cash register, and the next I could be working in the bakery, the grocery, flower department, or working in the back warehouse. Everyone who worked there was a character and they were all different in their owns ways, but they had a hard work ethic and got their jobs done while having fun. The hardest part about the job was not having a set amount of hours so you didn't know how much you were going to be working that week. The most enjoyable part about the job was having variety in the work place to move around and have different skills.
Pros
Constant use of different skills.
Cons
Unable to know how much work would be had each week.
Pro: Friendly Environment Cons: Minimum Wage, Understaffed, Untrained, and flawed System of Management
Restuarant Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC16 August 2016
Serving, baking, dishwashing, and prepackaging of items at the workplace for customers. Friendly co-workers for the most part. Being in a seniority system. Hardest part being understaffed and not being just a restuarant clerk but a cleaner, food prepper, and cashier as well. Having minimum wage, and dealing with industrial chemicals that's toxic and causes cancer as well as other cleaning chemicals that may cause skin allergies, burns from unexpected places. Has a lot of hazards at the work environment. Best part of the job is being able to be yourself.
Pros
Friendly environment, steady work environment, stable job, slight benefits for buying or joining clubs.
Cons
Lack of Safety in environment, dealing with industrial chemicals, medical benefits cover 1 year later, minimum wage, working overtime.
A workplace that worked entirely on teamwork.
Receiver (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, B.C29 August 2015
I enjoyed my time at save on foods. My coworkers were amazing people and the jobs were fairly easy once you get the hang of them.
Pros
free staff lunches
Cons
Management can be pushy