Save On Foods

Langley, BC63 reviews

Found 63 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,776 reviews
savesaveongroceryfoodunionstoredepartmentwage

Good for students

A good job for students as you can set your own schedule. Just prepare for last minute schedule changes and lots of closing shifts at the beginning.

Blah

Worked here for a few years. Was toxic management at the time, you never get any time off, always push people too far and never any reward even a thank you.

Insights into Save On Foods

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job

Not fun

not a good place to work, no tips and you get most of your paycheck cut out for “union fees” which was nothing. you’d work long hours for basically nothing in return. very poor management and poor scheduling.

bad very very bad managmenet at the IT department

you want to work at the IT department at Save on Foods? dont even think about it and look somewhere else. managements at this place dont have any clue on how to run things and its all about saving money and saving their butts.they do changes first and then they sit down and think about it if its a good change or a bad one. who would run IT department like this?!

Pros

good benefits and thats all

Cons

bad management, low salary, too much work and no future

Highly Recommend

I've recently started working at the Langley office, and I've had some unexpected life-issues back-to-back recently. My colleagues, seniors and supervisors/management, have all made me feel comfortable and worthy of accommodating me even though I am new. I feel so happy to have finally found a position where people appreciate my presence, but still treat me like a person during difficult times. I highly recommend this office/company to everyone.

it can be stressful...

the work culture is okay, some employees are snarky, and cant make short-notice RTOs. Sometimes fast-paced, having to deal with customers that are difficult.

Enjoyed my time there Good work life balance , work can be monotonous at times but culture is good and so are benefits. Head office location is good unless you live downtown.

“Best Place To Work”… not.

Management is only nice to those they like. Very cliquey workplace. COVID has made it extremely stressful as there isn’t any support and all departments put the blame on customer service. You’ll find yourself feeling the disconnect from the entire company as they see our department as a joke. Your team members also won’t do their due diligence and angry customers will call back and scream at you over something your coworker promised to do. Pay is not good for what you deal with. Give you bonuses and then tax them so you don’t get the full amount they promise. When you get a review they make you become extremely hush hush about what your pay raise is which should raise red flags. When you call stores they complain about how much they also hate their jobs. HIGH HIGH turnover. Majority of the systems are down and they just do bandaid fixes but never fix the actual problem so customers will be calling and angry over the same thing. Your mental health will decline as it is micromanaged with the new management as a few are on power trips since they got promoted. Overall don’t waste your time. Save-On-Foods likes to say they are the “best place to work” but it’s a fraud.

Pros

Fixed schedule, benefits

Cons

Management, pay, workplace atmosphere, stress

Avoid IT Positions at the Head Office

Avoid any IT positions at the head office. Stressful and a highly political environment. Little training and support. No work/life balance. A number of senior staff have left / moved to other positions / retired recently, so there are large gaps in knowledge, and the remaining staff are over stretched. Pros: People are friendly. Lack of micro-management. Good pension plan and some perks on groceries / local activities.Cons: Management are not IT literate. Below average salary.

Good, stable job

Save on Foods' head office is a decent place to work. Right off a highway exit in Langley, the commute from Vancouver is not bad. There is not a lot of room to grow. Many employees are older and have many years of service. There is not a lot of movement that allows for internal postings and growth.

Pros

Free parking, On-site gym

Cons

Meals in the cafeteria are not free or discounted, Not a lot of room to grow, Not a very diverse work environment, The work perks are minimal

It was okay

It was okay/ made friends. communication gaps with management as they do not have the background in the fields and have rose through ranks from the stores

Pros

Made friends

Cons

management communication

Very Collaborative team

Great team and very friendly environment. SOF is modernizing and replacing some of their IT systems. It's great place to learn and very helpful team.

Pretty good overall

I worked at save on for almost two years and honestly it was one of the best jobs I've ever had. a majority of my coworkers were amazing to work with, the online shopping department was a blast to work in, and i had only just started in the kitchen. The hardest part of the job was keeping my energy up closer to the end of my time there. I knew that if I wasn't moving then I wouldn't have left.

Pros

Nice staff, great benefits, good pay

Good place to work while in school but don't get stuck there

Save on foods is a fine place to work. They have a good union that makes it easy to work around school as long as you don't work more than 24 hours a week. Unfortunately you can only work full time if you are also fully available, and you can only take on supervisory and management roles if you are fully available and work full time. The people are nice enough but the gossip culture is exhausting and anyone who has worked there for more than 10 years make more money for less work than any new hire ever will.

Pros

Wasn't closed during covid

Cons

Wage disparity, employee burnout

Really good first job

They did group training a couple days after the interview and gave each of the hires two training shifts. The people were always supportive positive, and patient when someone was new. There was never less than 1 person per shift, so you never had to worry about being understaffed. Management knows what they're doing and are very professional in dealing with problems. They also work around your schedule if you're a high school or university student, which is really nice.

Pros

Good training, good people, good management

Cons

Crowded lunchroom

Save on Foods

I work at save on foods currently, have been for almost 5 years but its time for a change. Depending on what department you are in, the typical day looks different. I have learned customer service skills, how to time management, leadership and teamwork.

Great starter or schools job

everyone for the most part is super sweet! I got promoted very fast from cashier to customer service and it built me a great resume. would not recommend for long term job and you cant take vacation for more than 3 days until you've worked there a year. you get paid every week at he same time which is super nice!

Great company to work for!

Everybody at the head office is friendly and professional. There are lots of opportunities to grow in this company. The managers,supervisors, team leads, and employees care about everybody's wellbeing and the company has a good sense of work/life balance. Very glad to work for this company. Keep up the good work!

Pros

Friendly and helpful employees, cafeteria in the building, free coffee and tea

Avoid IT Head Office Jobs

It really depends on your team. The people not in management roles are usually fairly nice and down to earth people. Job stability, if you like to repeat tasks and would like to stay in one position/title for your whole life. Some discounts of free items in store (a free bag of chips once in awhile). Their IT department is taking a huge hit in the last 2 years. Many people have quit and left. All of these people being in key roles. If you need proof, check LinkedIn on the status of all of their former employees. Ask any of them about it or ask a current employee. You will be expected to work more hours without any extra pay. Management is very political. If you plan on working on any projects expect major delays and a very lengthy process. Save yourself the hassle of having to join them only to have to find a new job after a few months. It has happened to a handful of new (now former) employees. Listen to your employees, keep the environment less political. This is 2020, management needs to stop living and operating as if it is still 1990.

Management wasn't very helpful

I was hired with conditions due to my illness and the lower management did not follow through with the things i was able and not able to do, the didn't follow my availability at all.

I learned a lot working here. It's very fast paced but once you get the hang of things it's fairly easy. Very people oriented. so you really have to like working in small proximity with other workers as well as being able to help out the customers in the store. Management is friendly and are usually available when needed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save On Foods. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement