Save on Foods

Save on Foods Employee Reviews in Kelowna, BC

Found 44 reviews matching the search See all 1,278 reviews
Very fast-paced and stressful
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC1 February 2020
It's a good entry level job if no one wants hire you or you are going through school and you need money, but it is very stressful and fast-paced. Not everyone is welcoming and patient and you will be mistreated by customers from times to times. If you work in a department in which you rely on the work of others, you will often get screwed as not everyone will work hard. In conclusion, lots of frustration in exchange for minimum wage.
Okay as a clerk but that's it
Ecomm (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC19 January 2020
As a clerk it was fine, paid minimum wage to start but the benefits are pretty good, once you qualify and as long as you maintain 24 hrs/week. Benefits are pulled if you drop below that, which I did because I got sick. Over time, my wage increased but I worked way too much overtime - to the point that I got sick - and the workload just kept increasing. A lot of the people are good, though, that's why I've stayed as long as I have
Good place to work but does not pay enough for a new employee
Produce clerk (Current Employee) –  Lakeshore Road Kelowna (store 932)18 November 2019
a typical day is stocking produce shelves and cleaning

learned about large corporations and the struggles they face

management is typically good but often changing - they play favorites

Culture is good, but far too much turnover of staff

Hardest part is rushes when people call in sick or quit and the turnover

Most enjoyable is meeting and greeting the customers - most notably the many who come into the store every day and like to chat
Nice environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC4 November 2019
Good management
Health and study benefits etc
Staff behaviour
Proper uniform
A team work
Customer services
Earning a-lots experience
Good pay rate
Terrible Management, Tough Work, Good Bottom Line
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC23 September 2019
During my work as a Cashier at the Lakeshore branch, I found that Management which went anywhere from the front desk to low-tier corporate brass were extremely focused on the sales and following company procedure, which leaves little room for error.

The same management does not care about the betterment of their employees and will have no idea on how to help you advance in your career- of which there likely will be no advancement.

The Job also uses common scare tactics and various bullying methods to get you to come in on your days off or when you are sick. They obviously do not know that someone who handles food shouldn't also have a cold. Expect calls from anywhere from 5-6 am in the morning to try and get you to come in.

The pay is rather poor too- if you're not minimum wage, It'll be close to that and it'll only be a few cents more per raise per YEAR, and your benefits can only be applied for after a probationary period.

The only redeeming quality of this store are it's bottom line workers, from the Cashiers to the produce aisles to the General clerks. There are some very wonderful people who are stuck at the bottom rung scraping by in life in these positions who do their best and constantly get hung out to dry for no good reason.

Please treat them with kindness and respect if you see them at the lake-shore location
Pros
Learning Human Interaction Via Retail, Decent Breaks for Lunch, Food is right there for any break.
Cons
Bad Management, Long Hours, Strenuous Work, Difficult customers.
Typical day at work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC20 September 2019
Stressful from the first minute You hit the floor. Completely understaffed, so the entire cash area responsibility falls on one or two employees. You are barked at by older female employees for every little thing even though they themselves make so many mistakes. The hours are long and exhausting and You are worked to death for minimum wage. Many Customers are very rude
and
Supportive staff
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC7 September 2019
I have had good staff to work with and a good amount of hours for being part time. Management is great, they are very supportive. Overall it has been a great place to work.
Very poor management
Cachier (Former Employee) –  Kane Road, Kelowna BC2 July 2019
Save on - Kane Rd. Very poor management. No work life balance at all. Management is difficult to deal with at best. Management is rude. On days off, they call you in. If you have an appointment they do not care. They expect you there. The schedule changes almost daily which makes planning anything very difficult. What I learned while working there...they go thru employees like water because the management does not have their employees best interest at heart. There is NO balance. Employees need to know that on their days off they can make plans and you shouldnt have to check your schedule every day to see what changes have been made. They do not accommodate their employees, and I am not talking about the employees that abuse the system. If they want good employees, employees that care, employees that have been there for years and will continue to do so, they need to start looking at what is wrong at the management level.
Cons
Poor management, no work life balance
Great people, not so great managers
Department Manager, Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC29 June 2019
Everyone is supportive and nice to each other but managers have a hard time seeing who are actually good workers and should be moved up. Brand new employees are left to do closing shifts alone and given positions that require being familiar with the workplace. Senior workers are left in the same positions and not moved to the higher positions.
Pros
Good people, good enviroment
Cons
High turnover, poor manager comunication
Great people but horrible workplace
Cashier/Baker/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC3 June 2019
Working in a Save On basically feels like being in a purgatory, you'll usually be there for an 8 hour shift but it feels like it's been an eternity. It's only saving grace is usually the coworkers and management are great people.
fairly easy job, poor management
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC23 May 2019
Not a fun place to work. Although the hours are quite flexible management makes it a very unpleasant place to work. Would not reccomend to someone trying to find a job
typical day
Vernon/Kelowna - Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC24 February 2019
you start the day by signing in on an internet connected (company provided)phone/device so that it logs your shift. proceed to your designated department and follow up on any health/safety/WHMIS procedures. you must sign out for your 30minute unpaid lunch, the staffroom is very pleasant, large table, comfy couch, television with channels, fridge and microwaves, and coffee/vending machine. the work atmosphere is great, although you do have high school kids that work there as well, sometimes they can be a little "immature" but ultimately they brighten the day. Management is very hierarchal and uses the chain of command type procedures. iv learned so much about logistics, and inventory merchandise and product placement, along with receiving and delivering products in a timely manner. most enjoyable aspect(s) about working for Save On Foods would be the cumulative efforts by fellow team members that perpetuate an efficient store, also helping elderly people with their day is great. the hardest part about the job is typically all holidays and weekends, a lot of people need an efficient grocer, and save on delivers that. Save On Foods is a union, after one year of employment you can apply for a minor benefits package, and paid sick days and acquired time off, but you need a certain level of requisition for some benefits, however. it is a great company to work for if you have 10years+ of service because of the collective agreement.
Pros
staff lunches, Bbq, Christmas/halloween parties
Cons
being at the store late one night and early next day. typical 8.5hour days
productive
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC14 February 2019
Save On is a fast paced envirmont. Its open floor which means they can put you on cash, deli , produce anywhere. Supervisers are fun to work with and managers are easy to get along with
Pros
room for advancment
Cons
late night
less shifts
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC4 January 2019
I am getting less than 20-hour shifts a week. that is not that beneficial for us. because we have to pay our rents as well as school fees. so one should require at least complete 20 hours.
Good place to work and shop
Customer Service/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC3 January 2019
If i was on the customer service desk i would in charge of the bottle recycling if a customer brought some in. Tobacco orders, customer issues and running the front end basically. I worked there during the major fires that happened in Kelowna so I also had to make sure all the government slips brought in by the evacuees were properly processed otherwise the store wouldn't get reimbursed. As a cashier I was very quick, great at memorizing all the produce codes and packed bags efficiently and in a way that products weren't damaged. Quite often if I was on till and it was busy my line would be the longest as the customers could see I was moving quickly and doing a good job. Management was decent, didn't see too much of them. Atmosphere in the store was good for customers but I found between co-workers there seemed to be a fair bit of gossip and drama. Hardest part of my job there would have to have been avoiding the co-worker drama as much as possible. I enjoyed cashiering honestly, memorizing all the codes kept my mind nimble and packing bags was like a mini game of tetris plus I got to meet all sorts of people daily and enjoy getting to know my regulars.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
Not so great co-workers
customer service
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC19 December 2018
I enjoyed working here, since it was a great opportunity to help customers, and get to work as a team. Good communication and going the extra mile were objectives of the job.
Terrible management
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC23 October 2018
Management is terrible, they never let you leave early if you need to and abuse their power as managers. Pay is terrible and there is no way to move up the ladder.
Pros
Weekly payment
Cons
Managment
Fun and Friendly
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 October 2018
I loved working there it was great! The other team members were so friendly it just was not for me and i had life just crumbling beneath me. I totally would recommend save on foods
Pros
After 6 months you get heath+ ton more benefits
Cons
No real employee discount
Enjoyment level and Job work load
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC5 October 2018
I enjoyed working at Save-On-Foods, and would love to return. I had the position of Cashier and Shelf stocker, at 8 hours a day, and liked it immensely, while I had wonderful managers, and helpful staff offering encouragement and happy smiles to help me along. I did not want to leave at all, but my illness made it tough to work through. I am very happy to return as soon as possible, I have beat the illness and very vibrant and excited to work again in this field.
Pros
Breaks and Time management
Cons
Small lockers
Low morale / abusive supervisor at Orchard Plaza
Personal shopper order picker Ecom (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC orchard plaza1 October 2018
Ecom (personal shopper/grocery order picker) manager was abusive , sarcastic and condescending. She constantly sent mixed messages. Spoke to several levels of management and nothing changed. Was forced to leave.
Pros
Fun interacting with customers and other staff
Cons
Abusive. High turnover. Not enough staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.