Save on Foods

Save on Foods Employee Reviews in Kelowna, BC

Featured review
Save on Foods selected this as a representative review
Save-on-Foods is a good place to work with good opportunity for advancement. They offer competitive wages, great benefits, and a friendly atmosphere.My co-workers were good to work with, and several became good friends.
i hated it, they have no idea how to schedule hours for there employee's. one day they be over booked for worker's the next under booked, a single employee would be left alone at the till until they close and that would be a good couple hour's. they make that same employee who worked till closing and make him/her show up the next day to open the store. we are only human there is so much we can do. they run there employee's like robots once they lose energy or cant stand the strain they get rid of him or her. being a nice employee meant nothing to them even if you worked fast and hard. they just use you till they cant no more.
Pros
got a 10% discount or 30 times point on you're more-reward's
Cons
over worked and under paid
Very dishonest and discriminative toward people with disability. You want a job don't tell them They will call you after interview, make you feel very unconfortable
BAd
Cons
Dishonest
I enjoyed working here and would love another chance to work with this company again. The staff was good to me and understanding while i was pregnant and the work was interesting and organized
I always prefer to my friends that there is amazing environment while working at the job. Pay rate is very fair and all the employees and manager are very cooperative.
Pros
Fruits in the lunch
Cons
It's a good entry level job if no one wants hire you or you are going through school and you need money, but it is very stressful and fast-paced. Not everyone is welcoming and patient and you will be mistreated by customers from times to times. If you work in a department in which you rely on the work of others, you will often get screwed as not everyone will work hard. In conclusion, lots of frustration in exchange for minimum wage.
As a clerk it was fine, paid minimum wage to start but the benefits are pretty good, once you qualify and as long as you maintain 24 hrs/week. Benefits are pulled if you drop below that, which I did because I got sick. Over time, my wage increased but I worked way too much overtime - to the point that I got sick - and the workload just kept increasing. A lot of the people are good, though, that's why I've stayed as long as I have
I keep ending back at save on. A good job, decent flexibility, but it is still an entry level job, and the pay is poor. A lot of the experience depends on coworkers and management.
a typical day is stocking produce shelves and cleaning learned about large corporations and the struggles they face management is typically good but often changing - they play favorites Culture is good, but far too much turnover of staff Hardest part is rushes when people call in sick or quit and the turnover Most enjoyable is meeting and greeting the customers - most notably the many who come into the store every day and like to chat
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Save on Foods?
Good management Health and study benefits etc Staff behaviour Proper uniform A team work Customer services Earning a-lots experience Good pay rate
During my work as a Cashier at the Lakeshore branch, I found that Management which went anywhere from the front desk to low-tier corporate brass were extremely focused on the sales and following company procedure, which leaves little room for error. The same management does not care about the betterment of their employees and will have no idea on how to help you advance in your career- of which there likely will be no advancement. The Job also uses common scare tactics and various bullying methods to get you to come in on your days off or when you are sick. They obviously do not know that someone who handles food shouldn't also have a cold. Expect calls from anywhere from 5-6 am in the morning to try and get you to come in. The pay is rather poor too- if you're not minimum wage, It'll be close to that and it'll only be a few cents more per raise per YEAR, and your benefits can only be applied for after a probationary period. The only redeeming quality of this store are it's bottom line workers, from the Cashiers to the produce aisles to the General clerks. There are some very wonderful people who are stuck at the bottom rung scraping by in life in these positions who do their best and constantly get hung out to dry for no good reason. Please treat them with kindness and respect if you see them at the lake-shore location
Pros
Learning Human Interaction Via Retail, Decent Breaks for Lunch, Food is right there for any break.
Cons
Bad Management, Long Hours, Strenuous Work, Difficult customers.
Stressful from the first minute You hit the floor. Completely understaffed, so the entire cash area responsibility falls on one or two employees. You are barked at by older female employees for every little thing even though they themselves make so many mistakes. The hours are long and exhausting and You are worked to death for minimum wage. Many Customers are very rude and
I have had good staff to work with and a good amount of hours for being part time. Management is great, they are very supportive. Overall it has been a great place to work.
Save on - Kane Rd. Very poor management. No work life balance at all. Management is difficult to deal with at best. Management is rude. On days off, they call you in. If you have an appointment they do not care. They expect you there. The schedule changes almost daily which makes planning anything very difficult. What I learned while working there...they go thru employees like water because the management does not have their employees best interest at heart. There is NO balance. Employees need to know that on their days off they can make plans and you shouldnt have to check your schedule every day to see what changes have been made. They do not accommodate their employees, and I am not talking about the employees that abuse the system. If they want good employees, employees that care, employees that have been there for years and will continue to do so, they need to start looking at what is wrong at the management level.
Cons
Poor management, no work life balance
Everyone is supportive and nice to each other but managers have a hard time seeing who are actually good workers and should be moved up. Brand new employees are left to do closing shifts alone and given positions that require being familiar with the workplace. Senior workers are left in the same positions and not moved to the higher positions.
Pros
Good people, good enviroment
Cons
High turnover, poor manager comunication
Working in a Save On basically feels like being in a purgatory, you'll usually be there for an 8 hour shift but it feels like it's been an eternity. It's only saving grace is usually the coworkers and management are great people.
Not a fun place to work. Although the hours are quite flexible management makes it a very unpleasant place to work. Would not reccomend to someone trying to find a job
you start the day by signing in on an internet connected (company provided)phone/device so that it logs your shift. proceed to your designated department and follow up on any health/safety/WHMIS procedures. you must sign out for your 30minute unpaid lunch, the staffroom is very pleasant, large table, comfy couch, television with channels, fridge and microwaves, and coffee/vending machine. the work atmosphere is great, although you do have high school kids that work there as well, sometimes they can be a little "immature" but ultimately they brighten the day. Management is very hierarchal and uses the chain of command type procedures. iv learned so much about logistics, and inventory merchandise and product placement, along with receiving and delivering products in a timely manner. most enjoyable aspect(s) about working for Save On Foods would be the cumulative efforts by fellow team members that perpetuate an efficient store, also helping elderly people with their day is great. the hardest part about the job is typically all holidays and weekends, a lot of people need an efficient grocer, and save on delivers that. Save On Foods is a union, after one year of employment you can apply for a minor benefits package, and paid sick days and acquired time off, but you need a certain level of requisition for some benefits, however. it is a great company to work for if you have 10years+ of service because of the collective agreement.
Pros
staff lunches, Bbq, Christmas/halloween parties
Cons
being at the store late one night and early next day. typical 8.5hour days
Save On is a fast paced envirmont. Its open floor which means they can put you on cash, deli , produce anywhere. Supervisers are fun to work with and managers are easy to get along with
Pros
room for advancment
Cons
late night
I am getting less than 20-hour shifts a week. that is not that beneficial for us. because we have to pay our rents as well as school fees. so one should require at least complete 20 hours.
If i was on the customer service desk i would in charge of the bottle recycling if a customer brought some in. Tobacco orders, customer issues and running the front end basically. I worked there during the major fires that happened in Kelowna so I also had to make sure all the government slips brought in by the evacuees were properly processed otherwise the store wouldn't get reimbursed. As a cashier I was very quick, great at memorizing all the produce codes and packed bags efficiently and in a way that products weren't damaged. Quite often if I was on till and it was busy my line would be the longest as the customers could see I was moving quickly and doing a good job. Management was decent, didn't see too much of them. Atmosphere in the store was good for customers but I found between co-workers there seemed to be a fair bit of gossip and drama. Hardest part of my job there would have to have been avoiding the co-worker drama as much as possible. I enjoyed cashiering honestly, memorizing all the codes kept my mind nimble and packing bags was like a mini game of tetris plus I got to meet all sorts of people daily and enjoy getting to know my regulars.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
Not so great co-workers