Save on Foods Employee Reviews in Edmonton, AB

Found 158 reviews matching the search See all 1,204 reviews
Very flexable with hours when working part time
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2017
Good place to work if you don't mind a little "office drama" here and there.

Wouldn't recommend for a full time job unless you're hoping for a management position at some point and if so its very political; kind of a who you know not what you know.

Hardest part of the job is that its very repetitive and obviously dealing with customers can be brutal.

Most enjoyable part of the job can be coworkers if you get along with them and even if you don't its still decent.
summary
Produce Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 February 2017
housing freezer stocking front facing prepping for floor placement fleshing produce keeping produce floor clean and greeting customers on there way in
Good place to work if you are in for the long haul
DS (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 February 2017
Great people to work with. Good work/life balance and great benefits. You get a raise every 500 hours that you work. Management can be great or horrible depending who they have in the store for top management. Department managers are usually pretty good. Advancement depends more on seniority in the company than other related work experience.
Pros
Great people to work with, good work/life balance
Cons
Unionized, top store management if not the right people
Fun Place to work with good staff
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2017
Save on foods is a good place for people getting their first jobs. For the bakery, they expect a lot to be done from the workers alone just from the start. The hardest part of the job was closing because of having so much to do with very little time and being the only worker in bakery every night.
Pros
Was very close by. Easy to get to
Cons
Hours aren't flexible for people in school
Coworkers are great! Appreciate my supervisor
Full Time Pharmacy Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2017
A good place to work. Has weaknesses like any other organization, but overall I enjoy where I work. Save On tends to attract a favorable demographic (ie) as opposed to organizations that focus ONLY on price point of the products they sell. Large organization, but privately owned, so feels a little more like a family run operation.
Pros
Small perks like providing employees with fruit in the staff room are nice
Cons
Lower end for compensation, somewhat limited opportunity to move up in rank within the organization
Not fun at all
Department Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2017
Its full of repetition for the grocery team, not much else its just commn basic stuff, help customers, stock and face products that's pretty much the complete job
Pros
People are nice
Cons
repetition
easy pace with enjoyable work atmosphere
Baker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2016
working in the bakery department was a fun experience and would've liked to continue in this position. it is a great place to work and balance a life at home as well.
Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 December 2016
Management team was excellent to work for and made a fair and enjoyable work atmosphere.
Always kept occupied and had a task at hand.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Pay was low
Fun workplace with friendly employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2016
I enjoyed my time at save on foods and was treated with respect by my fellow coworkers and management staff. excellent training was provided and i was able to learn how to complete the tasks at hand in a timely manner.
Pros
predictable shifts, good pay
Daily schedule changes
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 October 2016
I've never worked for a company that is so unorganized in the scheduling department . You provide your availability on a form and its useless because you're scheduled to their needs . You're called in and expected within the hour and if you cannot make it ( long bus commute) you will feel the negative vibe from the ' 25 to life employees ' , they call on almost everyday off and no joke DAILY schedule changes without being asked . Most shifts I got were 4 hours and the occassional 6 . I enjoyed the actual cashier job though especially busy days , learning all the codes ,talking with customers , good standing mats , comfortable working area and the music was today's hits I guess . If you like limited hours, daily schedule changes and if you can be there within a finger snap this will be for you .
Pros
Staff room food
Cons
Daily schedule changes
It was okay
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 October 2016
Job wasn't fun or anything, often were rushing to finish days work, forcing the job to be rast paced, environment and co-workers were good though
Cons
Often called in, often understaffed
Good job for students
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2016
Worked in the Grocery department for a little over a year, and it was pretty good experience. Was a good job when I was in high school, but as soon as I got into college, my hours were cut by a lot.
Worst part of working there was scheduling time off. You had to book it off 21 days in advanced, and most of the time, the site didn't work. Also, communication between department managers was terrible.
Pros
Good benefits for those who worked for a while
Cons
Bad communication within managers, not a lot of hours
A great environment with very nice co workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 October 2016
I enjoyed my job because the shifts and hours were exactly what i wanted them to be. My co-workers were always nice and helpful. My manager was very kind and was generous when talking about changing shifts. I did not think my job was hard at all.
Pros
Free food in lunch room
Cons
far away from where i lived
deli
Department specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 September 2016
I worked 1 year on save on foods it was pretty nice.I have to quit because me and my husband doesnt work with our hours at work.
My manger was very friendly and able to talked to regarding hours.
Pros
bonus
Cons
6 hours
Fun environment.
Front End Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 September 2016
Perfect oppurnitunity for those who are looking for their first job. Most positions ads part time, not a lot of full time hours. Very warming, and welcoming management team.
Productive and Fun environment
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 September 2016
Good environment, fun people to work with, very warm and welcoming management team. Perfect for first time workers. Mostly part time work.not a lot of full time hours
Not a great place to work at all
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 August 2016
In the 2 and a half years I worked there, I felt belittled constantly. I found I was doing everything right but felt personally slighted by both my department manager and store assistant manager. The department assistant manager was great, as was the store manager. I was put on probation for 6 months after working there for 4 months because I was 2 minutes late coming down from break. This was an isolated incident. When you are on break, you don't feel like you are on break. Bosses will be there supervising your breaks. I wish I could say this was only true about the particular store I worked at but I've heard similar things about other stores. On stock days bosses kept unrealistic quotas about the amount of product everyone was putting on the shelves per hour (something like 200 pieces). They would shame you in front of other staff and customers if you failed to meet the quota or if they caught you talking with customers for too long, or with coworkers at all. One time I called in sick twice in 3 days (god forbid I have a flu) and they implemented a protocol that if you call in sick twice in a row you must provide a doctors note. Felt bullied by bosses.

Hours were good though.
Pros
Good hours and flexibility
great work environment
Bakery Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 July 2016
i would start with breakout then i would finish the day with cleaning up
my co workers were always helpful
remembering all of the codes for things was hard
Pros
every first Tuesday of every month there would be a pot luck
Cons
over staffed
not much to say
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 June 2016
Liked the coworkers, hated the regulations. Couldn't do much- had to either stand in front of the till or at the till. Liked it when I had to do something that let me move around; do carts, clean, run things back.
connecting with customers and other employees.
Volunteer work at SaveOnFoods (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 June 2016
It was fun volunteering every first Tuesday of the month. I liked the fact that I was able to connect with the customers. Help them carry their bags and help the cashier bag the customers items that they bought.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.