Save on Foods Employee Reviews in Edmonton, AB

Found 158 reviews matching the search See all 1,204 reviews
N/a
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 May 2018
good company, good team work however is mostly part time jobs
Absolutely Horrible Place To Work For Those With An Ounce Of Work Ethic
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 May 2018
This was my second job ever and I worked as a Produce Clerk. Super invasive work environment. I heavily value individual work over group work, so when I saw Produce Clerk, I thought that I was going to be stocking produce and could just be on my own, doing my own work that was necessary. That was the complete opposite. Co-workers were super lazy, would force me to do work they did not want to do, and would spend most of their shift talking instead of working, often trying to talk to me which led me to do less work. Managers on the same coin have favourites in the workplace, picking employees that they are friends with and employees they don't like. The amount of micro-managing that my manager did was unreal, nit-picking and over-managing every single thing I did. I would see a vacancy in produce, and the managers would tell me to do something completely different because the co-workers who spend all day talking were going to get to it eventually.

Not to mention, we are expected to be overly friendly to the customers. Clerks are expected to say hello and strike up conversations with every single customer that walks into the store. When I'm focusing on my work, I can't be checking up every five seconds to make sure I say hello to a new customer. Often times as well, customers would find it flat out annoying just by looking at their facial expression, as many are there to shop. It's hard for me to fake happiness in a complete moronic work environment.

The numerous amount of social distractions in this workplace doesn't allow for efficient production in the workplace.
  more...

Also, we had to pay full price for all items at the store. That's unheard of to work at a place, and not get discounts for the product.

Only benefit I can think of with working here is that I was offered to speak to the supervisors and managers on the day I hired, and they asked me a couple of questions. I can only imagine this is because nobody gets work done so they're all free to do this.
Pros
Hiring process is efficient.
Cons
Distracting work place, no discounts, micro-managing power hungry managers, work doesn't get done.
Still new but enjoying the job
GROCERY (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 May 2018
Like any other part-time, minimum wage job theres nothing amazing about this one. But the staff is great and upbeat, fun to work with. They are able to easily work around my shift if I call in for a sick day.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Not a lot of hours
Good first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 April 2018
This was my first job so I was able to learn a lot of new skills as well as meet new people. Management was good and you learn a lot of problem-solving skills along the way.
It was okay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 April 2018
It's a cashier job, I can't really be picky about how it should go, but it was more or less poorly managed and very disorganized, and because it was in a snobby area it wasn't a place to interact with a lot of kind people. I did like my coworkers more than anything.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Poor management, not a fun job
Very flexible schedules
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 April 2018
Great place to work as a team and place where you get recognized for your work. Good supervisors, give you specific job descriptions and provide opportunities to advance
Not bad
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2018
Has pros and cons on a number of things but so does every work environment out there, just need to ignore the bad and enjoy the good things the company offers
Pros
Good environment
Cons
A number
cashier, bakery, produce
cashier, produce clerk, bakery clerk. (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2018
fast paced. learn safe food handling, one can take courses for advancement of the company. I enjoy helping people with certain things depending on which area one works in. e.g. what's in the baked goods and show them the ingredients.
Pros
job advancement
Cons
staff turnover.
Nice and easy-going employees
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 April 2018
I worked in the deli, so my job consisted of keeping the deli stocked and presentable for customers, as well as cutting meat for customers and cleaning/taking out the garbage to the compactor.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
I did not enjoy working in the deli (more focused on school (G12) and sports)
Run of the mill
Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 March 2018
Run of the mill grocery store with the same issues as everyone. Cut costs while maintaining quality. Wage was minimum, wage increases were not transferred to older employees so new hires made more than experienced workers. Customer service was a priority and sometimes rewarded as such.

The best: better quality than any other grocery store, except maybe Costco.
The worst: could not earn living wage.
Fast paced work environment
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2018
Wonderful staff and a very encouraging management. Grocery department had lots of work to do, keeping me occupied and on task to make the store look clean.
Pros
Fresh Food
Cons
Not ETS friendly
Not too busy place to work with a very relaxing environment
Coffee Shop Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 March 2018
I worked at a Starbucks inside the Save-on so my duties were to make drinks and clean the kiosk when it was needed. The area of town I worked in was still being built so there weren't too many customers other than the regulars which were nice.
Pros
relaxing, not too busy
Cons
management were not good
Good family friendly place
Baker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2018
It was an overall good work experience still wish employees hours were up but also have to respect the planning and Decision of the managers tiem sheet.
Pros
Free food once and awhile
Cons
Not enough work hours and hard work for the time given to do
good company at heart, some managers make you think otherwise
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 March 2018
Overall the company is good at heart. Has a good CEO and a lot of the employees are awesome. Some of the Management makes you think otherwise, Bad culture there. A lot of the upper store management will do anything to hit their targets for the regional. Makes it a lot harder and stressful for lower staff. Also union makes it so you don't get payed very much unless you have been there full time for 5 years.
good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 February 2018
good customers , and coworkers , union workplace so not exactly a good place , did have trouble switching departments though it was not allowed , i ended up being fired for trying .
Good people to work with
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 January 2018
Enjoyed working there, and with the other employees. Hours were not enough though. Some days were slow, but tried to keep ourselves busy. Do miss working there.
Pros
Some discount on store items
Cons
not enough hours
Disappointment, Stress, Condescension
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 January 2018
Worked there for 2+ years. Poor management--> they aren't very encouraging, they don't acknowledge any of your hard work as an employee. They tend to be very condescending. I've had several managers make fun of me in an attempt to "be friendly." That in itself made the work environment quite unpleasant.
They don't take the employee's needs or concerns into consideration. Their primary concern productivity and sales. You feel like a cog in a system working at Save-On, and you don't truly seem like you're making a difference.
The pay isn't very good for the amount of you do there. You'll deal with a lot of rude customers (like most customer service jobs).

But, they would occasionally have free food in the staff room, so that was nice.
Pros
Free food in the staff room sometimes
Cons
Bad management, poor wages, draining
Decent workplace
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 January 2018
Great place to work. Fun, relaxed environment, with friendly co-workers. Management could sometimes leave something to be desired, but that was the only rough spot. Break times were flexible, and pay was decent.
Easy, positive enviroment
Florist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2018
Typical day here was slow, yet enjoyable. I worked as a florist so i was in the back not so much the front of the store. Break time was always fun because staff would get to hang out. The staff room was a comfy pace where you could relax while enjoying some coffee or snacks provided my the co workers or boss.
the Company hates produce.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2018
Part time workers often get the sh** end of the stick; at this point it's to be expected. However if you work produce at save on foods while also being part time, you might as well just quit and count your blessings for never having to deal with management that make your life hellish just for working the position that the company hates the most.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.