Save on Foods Employee Reviews in Edmonton, AB

Found 158 reviews matching the search See all 1,204 reviews
Miguel
Bakery Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 May 2019
Basically, I worked at the bakery department with a great team
No support
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 April 2019
Management doesn't care at all about you or any troubles you are having in your department. If you need help from management or someone from a different department you would have better luck wishing on a star.
Be prepared to take all abuse from customers with a smile because if you aren't pleasant to the customers even when they're yelling and swearing at you, you can get in trouble.
Be prepared for a culture that pushes you towards voluntarily working unpaid over time and punishing you in millions of petty ways when you don't.
Pros
Food in the breakroom, cable tv, couches, guarunteed raises
Cons
Low pay, few hours if part time, no clear communication between departments
Decent first job
Receiver/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 April 2019
A job that is for the most part fast paced. You are expected to be enthusiastic and friendly to all customers. The management changes a few times while I worked here, but from my experience they try to provide a safe and fun work environment.
Much ado about nothing
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 March 2019
Each store is different so please keep that in mind.
While there is a union it is not always effective. Management gets offended when you bring the union in to discuss something. It is not uncommon to not feel listened to or that management is actively forgetting what you said as you are saying it.
Hours are constantly cut and management has unreal expectations of what staff can accomplish.
Positive environmnent, and team members are very friendly and customer service is the main goal.
non foods specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 February 2019
Typical day includes working freight and stocking shelves, partly in the warehouse and partly main store. Facing products, cycle and free counts and regularly assisting customers with finding products around the store. Management is active in the daily ongoings of the store and assists at the front end frequently. I have learned and expanded upon my personal organizational skills, and have become much faster and more efficient of a worker than I once was. The culture is very welcoming and friendly and team member lounge is a nice added bonus and makes breaks enjoyable. Hard part of the job may be locating new shipped in items. Assisting the customers and jumping into small talk and conversation can be a nice and fun part of the job.
Pros
Unionized, positive atmosphere
Cons
Hours can be difficult to come by
Great place with good benefits
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 February 2019
-average 7hr days
-slicing and weighing meat for consumers
-creating deli trays and dips for shelves
-positive employees
-good dental benefits
-poor management
Pros
good coworkers and positive vibe
Cons
management seemed unfair
horrible
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 January 2019
overall horrible first job, they did not underrstand that a student had to balance work, school, and family and you would be penalized for it. management was awful.
Pros
Cons
everything
Slave-on-Foods...
Senior Specialists (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 December 2018
The workload continues to increase and the number of hours to complete it to standards decreases, which equates to working overtime without compensation just to keep managers from browbeating you!

Let's face it, upper management need their heads shaken to realize that cutting department hours and expecting ever increasing workload standards to be met is NOT possible! All you do is stress out your staff unnecessarily; it's slavery.

Provide reasonable department hours and stop expecting staff to part the sea everyday.
Family oriented
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 December 2018
The entire store works as a team. There isn't a "that's not my department" attitude, we help in whatever department we can to get jobs done. Community driven for fund raising.
Pros
diverse employee hiring
Cons
lack of communication
Standard cashier postition
Front-End Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 December 2018
It was a cashier position. The people I worked with were nice enough, but sometimes the supervisors were not the best at making decisions and often assumed we wanted later breaks. Other than that, nothing special
Work hard and you'll never go home
Meat/seafood Dept Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 October 2018
I worked myself hard while working for these guys. Literally, like so hard I lost weight. My job here was also my workout. I went home sore a lot.
1. Whatever I did was never enough, no matter how much I got done in an 8 hour shift.
2. The managers don't manage, they just go on extensive coffee breaks and complain about having to work.
3. I hope you really don't like getting your breaks, because you won't be getting them. Your 30 minute break will always be late.
4. Scheduling is screwed. They don't care that you got no sleep, they want you closing from 2-10 and then there the next morning from 7-3 to open.
As an added bonus, the customers are a**holes and waste your time for no reason.
Pros
Medical benefits after 6 months.
Cons
Oh my god look above mate
Don't work here unless you can put up with bad management
St NW - Dairy Specialist (Former Employee) –  silver berry, Edmonton4 October 2018
the summary says it all, management is abusive and was not understanding in terms of flexibility of scheduling
Typical work day ended with me being over worked, to work faster then i'm able to and ends up hurting myself most days, really need a strong back
was quite the workout
Pros
gains
Cons
everything else
OK place to work
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 October 2018
Can have fun with coworkers. Pace of job is moderate to busy. Time constraints can cause some stress.
Good people to work with. Some outside duties to get from fresh air and sunshine.
Pros
Not hard work
Cons
Could use more management support when busy
productive place with kind staff
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 August 2018
The work there was fine. After all it was my very first job so I do not really have many complaints about it or the people. Some I didn't get along with mind you a would rarely interact with them any way, but I cant really complain.
Pros
close to home
Cons
Very easy people to work with
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2018
Very easy work in any department. Management was very attentive and helpful when problem came up and needed to be handled. Although it was very repetitive.
Pros
excellent people to work with
Cons
very repetitive
Positive work environment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 August 2018
I loved working at Save On Foods! The work environment was very organized, people were helpful with one another and the experience was a very positive one!
postive and negative
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 August 2018
There is positive and negative.

For me the positive parts were getting along with my co-workers and interacting with the customers.
I also enjoyed problem solving when it was necessary.
Pros
great people
Cons
not my kind of job
An above average part-time experience
Front End Specialist, Service Desk, Price Change (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 July 2018
Typical day was not unlike most other part-time jobs. The biggest benefit was the opportunity for easy advancement and option to move around from department to department. Culture at this specific store was quite good and most people got along well and were friendly to talk with when you had down time. Management was unimpressive and constantly changing save for a few members.
Pays the bills
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 July 2018
This job is my least favorite I've had, its mostly easy but customers are extremely rude and entitled. The managers are really mean, as well as they employ a general manager who slept with a co-worker in his office. These things make me very uncomfortable working with this company.
Pros
usually have food for employees, extra dollar an hour on sundays
boring not really fun
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 June 2018
you really can only describe as bland managers are hit and miss you love or hate them no in between. the employees though are usually amazing people this is a good first job just be ready to butt heads with your manager
Pros
sometimes free food (usually expired)
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.