Save on Foods Employee Reviews in Edmonton, AB

Found 155 reviews matching the search See all 1,182 reviews
Company culture
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 October 2019
Save on foods is a company filled with diversity of cultures. They provide you with with loads of support and opportunities for advancement, both internally and externally. They are unionized, and through the union I was able to get a leave of absence for my education in another province and be able to return to my job in the summer.
It's good for teens starting part time
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2019
The team is very friendly and supportive of each other. Managers are always very understanding and it's an easygoing atmosphere. It has a union which offers great job security and benefits
Cool environment
Meat Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 October 2019
good company, lots of customer interactions daily, completing tasks for department and making sure shelves are properly dated for the next day make sure to dress appropriately
Fun coworkers
Cashier/ Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 September 2019
I was a cashier and I enjoyed the fast paced environment and how each day is different. Sometimes dealing with customers is not always fun, but your coworkers make it fun
It was okay
Deli worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 September 2019
People were really friendly the environment was always peaceful and nice. Everyone there worked together to make work efficient and managers were very kind.
Nice coworkers everything else is bad
Ecomm (Online Shopping): (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 September 2019
You're never paid enough for what's expected of you. Good luck with advancement, they'll never let you move up. It's aggravating and management is generally not interested in lending a hand.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Everything else
Good if you stay a long time but it is a tough job
Deli Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2019
The benefits are good if you stay for a long time since everything is based on seniority. There is more job security if you stay for a long time. The job is also unionized.

Some of the managers are good some are not. Most of the coworkers are nice.

Always cutting hours though so sometimes the workload is too much for the amount being paid. There is a big disparity in the amount of work between departments. Some departments are really easy are some are overly stressful.
Working here was good
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 September 2019
Union job so small raises every so many hours. Staff and customers were great. I was the Cake Decorator. Loved being able to be so creative.Only left because we moved otherwise would probably stll be ther.
Demeaning coworkers
Deli Department (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 August 2019
At first the job was great. Then as time went on a co worker made me feel horrible about myself. She made me feel like i wasnt good enough. Things had to be absolutely perfect. Made one tiny mistake and she went on a huge rant. Management sucks. Scheduling sucked. I wouldnt reccomend working for save on foods. Thank god its just a job and thats why i left.
it was alright working at save on foods
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 August 2019
there was not a lot of money to be made in this company at that time. now to start is probably fifteen dollars an hour, and there was no hope for advancement at least that is what I thought.
Not acomidating
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 August 2019
Not a bad job, not good if you're busy and play sports. Did not enjoy working there. Worked there for a short time I got the job at an bad time and was not enjiyable
Horrible management
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 July 2019
You can work your butt off but your managers will still expect more from you and if you can’t perform they will cut your hours. The management is also rude and talks behind employees backs it feels like your constantly harassed there would not recommend. Also go against union rules for example my manager showed my whole department my personal doctor note because he didn’t believe I was sick
Cons
Management, Expect too much
productive
Department Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 July 2019
ok place to work. salary raises take for ever to achieve due to overhiring. Managment is ok, Store does not stand to their motto firmly. Times where you are required to help others.
Pros
stable
Cons
overhired
Drama
Cake Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 July 2019
I left on personal leave due to the drama in the department, and the people attempting to make others choose sides. I came back and went to school, and the management went against union protocol in not scheduling me, was also attacked personally 'written up' over something one person lied about me saying - I fought it and won. I will never work for or with anyone with those names.
Nice place to work for first job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 June 2019
Save on foods is a nice place to work if you are looking for a good job that’s in a nice environment with kind hearted people. The workers are friendly and respectful and everyone is tested equally
No wage security whatsoever
Department Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 May 2019
In the last 6 months, hours across the company, have been cut between 30-50%. Long term employees no longer qualify for medical/dental insurance because of these cuts. The company demands more than employees can deliver in a shift, and though not ordered, are slyly expected to ignore some breaks, and work beyond their scheduled times. Won't even go into the amount of hours that are expected from the employees that are full time. Dodge this company, as it is continually getting worse as time goes by.
Pros
No longer any real perks
Cons
Job expectations are not realistic
Productive and organized work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 May 2019
I enjoyed working for them, I always felt that I was treated fairly and there were plenty of opportunities for advancement. A typical day involved working the tills and handling customers with lots of support from management. Overall a solid place to work.
Miguel
Bakery Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 May 2019
Basically, I worked at the bakery department with a great team
No support
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 April 2019
Management doesn't care at all about you or any troubles you are having in your department. If you need help from management or someone from a different department you would have better luck wishing on a star.
Be prepared to take all abuse from customers with a smile because if you aren't pleasant to the customers even when they're yelling and swearing at you, you can get in trouble.
Be prepared for a culture that pushes you towards voluntarily working unpaid over time and punishing you in millions of petty ways when you don't.
Pros
Food in the breakroom, cable tv, couches, guarunteed raises
Cons
Low pay, few hours if part time, no clear communication between departments
Decent first job
Receiver/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 April 2019
A job that is for the most part fast paced. You are expected to be enthusiastic and friendly to all customers. The management changes a few times while I worked here, but from my experience they try to provide a safe and fun work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.