Save on Foods

Save on Foods Employee Reviews in Edmonton, AB

Featured review
Save on Foods selected this as a representative review
Save-on-Foods is a good place to work with good opportunity for advancement. They offer competitive wages, great benefits, and a friendly atmosphere.My co-workers were good to work with, and several became good friends.
The day to day work is pretty straight forward, usually department managers and co-workers are fun to work with. At the end of the day, upper management only cares about their bottom line and turning a profit at the expense of the employees. Pushed hard and often required to do more work than can be fit into a regular shift. Departments are often understaffed and not always provided with enough support to succeed. Stress levels are very high for a minimum wage job.
Pros
Coworkers are usually friendly, minimal benefits available
Cons
Often breaks are missed in order to finish work, upper management aren't supportive
I cannot say this enough: This place is SO STRESSFUL. Worked here before and during Covid and ended up reporting company for failure to comply with health/ safety standards for the pandemic.Let me point form sum up my experience:-I was teased for my gender and sexuality.-I was offered promotion only for it to be pulled away as a 'means of ferreting out gossips'.-I was told I had to take my breaks but was given a work load that didn't allow them.-I was forced to literally run half of my shifts due to poor scheduling leaving us under staffed.-Managers rarely if ever stepped in to deal with harrassment, safety issues, health concerns, or scheduling issues. -Direct supervisor often pushed his responsibility onto others and barely trained anyone (myself included).-I was forced to train newcomers despite not being fully trained myself; supervisor and managers claimed they weren't fully trained either or said they were too busy too help OR claimed the newcomers were 'already trained'.-PPE wasn't provided and therefore had to be forced out of them by OHS when I was there.-I was contacted almost daily when offshift to come fill in. Many others were too.-Pests aren't properly dealt with: The entire time I worked at my location there were wild birds in the store that ate the produce; the company had people come in to try and SHOOT THEM while we were working the night shift. There was no covering on the product in the event they hit the birds so had they been successful there would have surely been bird 'matter' on the food for sale. We also had to work while not knowing if we - more...
Pros
Basically none.
Cons
Poor management, harrassment, pests, horrible work-life balance, nepotism, the list goes on and on.
just puling the next groceries up. taking the broken stuff away. stoking was just oo relaxing and calm. i get to finish i was just a work experiencer doing it for school credits but it was actually fun working there. at the Londonderry mall save on food's
Being a cashier was extremely boring and management never backed me up when customers were rude to me. I didn’t feel respected or valued. It’s unionized but if you work part time it’s hard to climb up the ladder for seniority and get hours because many people have worked there for years and are top priority. You don’t get discounts. It’s monotonous.
Pros
Union, easy interview process
Cons
boring
Working at save on foods has been a great oppourtunity, unfortunately my body is not physically cut out for the ammount of stationary standing work done, but if physically able, it is a great job.
Pros
You get paid
Cons
Bad scheduling, bad hours, not enough personal support
There good place to work is fun and u will love there. The people there are so nice. U will make so munch friends there that u will love to keep. It is a really nice place to work
Serviced customers' in deli; ensured all logs were kept up to date in terms of temperatures; took orders; built cross sales of all departments, cleaned deli, work with to staff members; created deli orders solo and with the team when necessary; worked frozen and fresh orders and trained staff. Unionized and Save on Staff always go beyond to help out. Deli is one of the most labor-intensive departments. I enjoyed working with all levels of the company and team mates as well. There is always something we can learn from someone, and you can take it with you to the next company.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Sales dedicate your hours. Only 3 main levels get most hours
a typical day at save on foods includes, wearing the uniform, clocking in and speaking to the manager about the duty of the day. After that is known, you get to work.
Pros
A good manager who cares about her employees
Cons
scattered shifts
Save on foods overworks their staff, expect one person to do more than they can physically do. I would never recommend working here if you are a hard worker, if you are lazy, you will probably get ahead quicker, as all you have to do is show up and they are happy!
Do not have a review have been the 24 years. looking for a change to low stress levels, and manage health. I am getting older and need to look after self.
Learned good customer service, how do you Shrink, grab stocks, learnt all sorts of drinks, wash an sanitize all spoons cups an espresso machine correctly.
I 'm happy working with save on foods , team member is familiar I was learn many issues and I had got a lot of experience good management also good training,,
even though you are full time not enough hours to servive .Management is not nice ,racist environment. not good overall.hdushdsjhjshjjdjddssdssdjdsjddd
I always showed up 10 minutes before my shift when working on the cash register to make sure I had enough bags, receipt paper as well as any other stock up required for my shift.Serving each and every customer with the respect that they all deserve and helping them either find or return an item was one of my duties. Customer service desk I was responsible for the lottery as well as complaints and returns or mistakes on the receipt. Price change Department I was responsible for printing and hanging all new price tags for the weekly flyer sales as well as special sale prices for each and every department.
Need to be able to roll with the punches just do the job. Great job to have while you are in school. The gocery industry is uncertain right now. Benifits are ok for retail.
Loved the people I worked with and management was super down to earth! The hours sucked. Some weeks I’d be working 30+ hours and some weeks I’d only work 10. Was always super busy so if you don’t like a fast paced environment this isn’t the job for you!
This job really depends on the department you work in and your manager. I have had the best and worst work experiences working there and management had a huge part to do with it. So ask around and find the right store or department if you have the opportunity to do so. The company is generally pretty easy going with working with your school schedule but be prepared to work weekends and holidays. Certain managers push for people to apply for higher positions but it so rarely goes to someone in-store. The work culture is overall good, they really put forth the effort to offer staff luncheons or first dibs on discount items as a thank you. Pay isn't great as they like to keep everyone as part timers and really cut back on your hours with no notice.
I would say that the culture at Save-on-Foods may not be for everyone. It can be hard at times on the body. The mind is also taxed. Speed is the main focus of the warehouse.
Pros
Pay can be good
Cons
to fast pased
If you infuse fun into the work enviroment, you will have more engaged emloyees, greater job satisfaction, increased productivity and a brighther place to be.
Save on foods is a company filled with diversity of cultures. They provide you with with loads of support and opportunities for advancement, both internally and externally. They are unionized, and through the union I was able to get a leave of absence for my education in another province and be able to return to my job in the summer.