Save On Foods

Edmonton, AB201 reviews

Found 201 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,776 reviews
savesaveongroceryfoodunionstoredepartmentwage

It's meh.

It's an alright place to work, coworkers are great! Pay is UNBELIEVABLY low though (you start with minimum wage) and the benefits are poor and you will be forced to do alot of more extra work for no extra pay. Only work here if it's your last resort and don't work long term. It isn't worth it.

Poor management, understaffed stores

I worked here for years and used to like it. However, as the stores weren't making their budgets, hours that the departments were allowed to use were cut. This led to having little staff on to complete the work load. This left full-time staff being overworked and overwhelmed with little help from management. Management spent more time socializing in the upstairs offices instead of helping out on the floor.

Pros

Cons

Understaffed, poor management

Insights into Save On Foods

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job

Better place than most

Depending on management, this job can turn into a career. Unlike some places they see you as a person. While the union can work against you, some managers will vouch if you give it your everything.

Pros

good culture

Cons

some toxic people

57% percent turnover should be your warning..

Worked at that company for 4 years with terrible pay. Think a whole 65 cents above minimum wage. It doesn't matter about the quality of your work as wage increases are a whopping 10 to fifteen cents every 500 hours. Union membership is mandatory with fee increases based on wage and they basically exist for management. Management changes every few years and seems to continue to get worse. Workplace culture is toxic. Don't miss it. There are other jobs out there with a better environment and equally garbage pay.

Not too bad

Not much to say really I enjoyed my time there and was going to move further up within the company but left due to personal reasons. Management and staff were fun to work with.

Pros

Free lunches, advancement within the job, decent pay

Cons

Customers

Flexible

Worked there part time during university and I appreciated that management was able to adapt to my schedule changes. Coworkers were generally nice, but the work was boring and repetitive

Not a bad place to work while you look for your dream job

Fairly laid back, gets boring and repetitive just because of the nature of the job. Not overly stressful. When management is decent it's an ok place to work

Productive and fun workplace

It is an excellent place to work if you want to start in retail and the work is not very difficult. Also, it feels like the management care about you.

Good for High school students but terrible for anyone else

Instead of giving more work hours they hire more people for a specific department so I was left barley making 200 a week which is not enough to live on. And their “raise” is a complete joke.

Pros

Free food occasionally, wifi, slower pace

Cons

Too few hours

Department specialist

Good place to start working.flexible and its good for students needing part time jobs. Management is okay. Sometimes it get busy you have to be fast. Pay is okay but fair amount for paying bills. Theres opportunities if you wanna go up. People are nice.

Pros

Free food sometimes

Cons

Fast paced sometimes boring

Easy work but fast paced

I love working at this place.ive been working for 5 yrs now and i love the people i work with. Flexible hours. Repititive, stocking products on the shelves, doing holes,cycle and free counts.

Terrible place to work at

Management is hypocritical. They will pressure hardworking employees to keep working hard and wont bother taking disciplinary action against employees who don't do enough work. They don't care about their employees and expect too much for minimum wage. The pay is also terrible and the "raise" is a total joke. Stay away if you value your physical and mental health!!!!

Overall great first job loved it.

Great work environment. Worked around my busy schedule. Positive and fun place to work. Kept busy throughout the day.

Great place to work, management was superb but not much room for advancement

Jobs were great and not that difficult however it feels like a job that would suit better as a first time job. Not a lot of room for advancement but the management was amazing

It's a good job if you like back pain but no benefits to cover seeing doctors' about it.

The management doesn't care about their employees. Profits will always be before your safety and you will be thrown under the bus at the first opportunity. Workplace culture is incredibly toxic and people will talk behind your back even if they are friendly to your face; don't be surprised if the room gets quiet when you walk in.If you do work here, please understand that they do not care. This company does not value you. Put yourself first. Otherwise they will overwork you until you get hurt and then find a way to fire you and have your job posted the next day.

Pros

If you faint you get orange juice

Cons

You will cry a lot because of the verbal abuse.

Productive and fun place to work and opportunity to grow

A good place to start but growing could be kinda slow but once you decide to make a career out of it then it's not such a bad place to start because you will meet alot of wonderful people along the way.

Pros

Great environment to work.

Cons

Customers come first. I enjoy the cashier position.

It is a great job as part time. The training process was really good. Management seem a bit stress and over work. For me I enjoy the social aspect and keeping myself busy.

Pros

Free item once a week from store

Cons

8 hrs too long for cashier

Customers are always put first. The environment is very clean and has everything needed to satisfy their customers.

I always shop at Save on Foods. It is an amazing place to shop and work.Management is wonderful. Very clean products and such fresh produce. Shopping at Save on Foods always brings me comfort and satisfaction. I particularly appreciate the opportunity to price match products.

Pros

Weekly free item offered

Stressful

I have worked at Save On Foods for over 20 years and have moved up in seniority and position within the company. The stress is ever increasing in order to make more dollars for the company. The conditions are getting harder to finish anything. You have more work to complete in a day and less time to do it. They continually add more jobs and tasks onto your daily schedule. The lack of respect for individuals home life is disheartening after so many years with the company. I've never been more unhappy at a workplace than I am right now. I am well liked and well respected by my peers and subordinates as well as some upper management. But it does not seem worth it. Stay away from this place.

Pros

Benefits for full time

Cons

Unrealistic expectations for management

dont work here

if you need a couple days off to visit, or mourn over the loss of a loved one. Expect an under the table suspension, then to be yelled at and belittled on that fact months prior.

Pros

no customers.

Cons

terrible management.

If you have nowhere else to go

It's okay. Management doesn't care about you, only cares about numbers. You're extremely overworked and hella underpaid and it just gets worse as you work your way up. I got to CSS before I quit because mentally this place was Gunna kill me. Just work here part time until you get your dream job. They do have a back to school programme however it's only for up to 1000 dollars and only if you're going back to school for your masters specifically.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Sell your soul

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save On Foods. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement