Save On Foods

Calgary, AB105 reviews

Found 105 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,776 reviews
savesaveongroceryfoodunionstoredepartmentwage

Friendly work environment

Generally a good place to work. Supervisors and other employees are supportive and willing to help when needed, Employee discount program is decent.

Pros

Discount program

Cons

Variable shifts from early morning to late evening.

bad work environment

The people I worked with were nice but the managers were the worst they were not organized. I did not enjoy working there and was not satisfied at all.

Pros

breaks

Cons

manager

Insights into Save On Foods

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job

Regret even working there for a day.

Managers have no clue what they're doing. Schedules are so inconsistent that at times you'll only work 16 hours in a month. Managers often don't respond to messages for long times. Store managers are verbally abusive to staff. Your tasks to complete as a worker are constantly added to until you can't even complete everything in one shift. Constantly scheduled alone during our busiest times. If I could go back and stop myself from stepping in this place, I would.

Decent place to work at

Usually not too busy. Understaffing can be an issue. Workplace culture is fine. Everyone is pretty willing to help each other. People are generally pretty nice.

This place is essentially a cult...

This was one of the hardest most toxic environments I have ever worked in. If you are just looking for a part-time union position and will eventually move on, no worries just be mindful of how toxic it is. However, if you are full-time or in management -- do not even bother. I left after having a complete nervous breakdown after a year of insane amounts of stress and abuse. You will be expected to work beyond your scheduled shift especially as a department manager. If there is still issues in your department - get ready to be verbally and sometimes physically abused. No one wants to hear any reason or suggestions for fixing it, even bring it up will make you a target, it's a cult! I left this place with a PTSD diagnosis and had to be on medical leave. It was not worth it in the slightest.

Pros

Some very lovely coworkers

Cons

Long hours, stressful, abusive, cult mentality

over worked for 15$

I was working alone the toughest job in the bakery they were making so much money off me and couldnt pay me more. how do you expect someone to have any motivation with such a low pay. plus some employees are very disrespectful and I was threatened at work by an employee, I could've easily punished the employee in the face but I know I am better than that so I just walked out on my shift happily never to be seen again

Wouldn't reccomend

I was a student working here throughout highschool, for about 3 years. The environment was manageable for someone like myself (who wasn't there too often), but over time the workplace culture deteriorated a lot and both management and employees would treat each other terribly. ie, gossiping, arguing, very high turnover rate, favoritism etc. Hardest part of the job is the excessively/overly friendly customer service policy, and strict rules about dress code and talking with coworkers during your shift. Most enjoyable was working night shifts- the atmosphere was so much better with a small team and no customers!

Fair job but it’s stressful

The job is fair. You have assigned work but it can get very stressful. You’re not forced to have all your work done at the end of your shift but it’s expected of you, regardless of how busy it is. Managers dont hide their stress or disappointment

Pros

Free random item (picked by the company) every week

Cons

Exhausting

Great first job

The management and company overall was great. Breaks were always given and management was able to work with us schedule-wise. I loved my co-workers as well. It was a great first job for me and for those looking for a long term commitment, the company wants you to grow and move up in the ranks (aka it is a great place to succeed). However, some customers were a nightmare. There were times when I was verbally abused and had to stand there and take it or else I would get in trouble (although these instances were not the fault of the company itself, it is a negative side to the job).

Pros

great management, good company, union

Cons

customers

Okay

Coworkers were nice but management changed a lot and all over the place. Very intimidating when they hover around you and don’t let you do your job. Store is nice and clean which is a plus, but it was never a permanent job for me

Fun Place but get ready for lots of work

No matter which position you enter as you will end up doing more than you signed up for and sometimes it can be fun.Managers are amazing but management could be better.

Easy day to day tasks. Stressful during pandemic. Communication could be better.

I enjoyed this job when I first started out. It was a relaxed and social environment which I found fun. However as COVID has progressed I have felt that the customers have started treating us worse and it has definitely had and impact on my mental health. Some parts of the day are extremely slow with nothing to do and other times the crowds can be overwhelming. Some of the rules have gotten stricter lately, for example me and my coworkers have gotten in trouble for talking to each other during slow periods despite not having any other tasks to complete. I have also gotten in trouble for things that were never outlined to me during my brief training period. Overall not an awful job just not my preference, I think if you enjoy customer service/retail then it is one of the better ones!

Pros

Team member discount and free weekly item, Good coworkers, Job stability during a pandemic.

Cons

Strict rules for a minimum wage retail job, Confusing indirect communication from management, Punching bag for customers.

Productive and fun

Basic minimum wage grocery job - some managers are good some are bad same with employees Easy to move up if you want to Management is fairly easy - covids made it a lot harder Company needs to stop promoting just because of their time served into the company - if you’re not meant for management you shouldn’t be one

Management do not care about employee well being, can be intentionally mean

Management were all about the "bottom line", although this is understandable, pushing employees to accomplish more than is possible in a give amount of time is discouraging. The employees that are actually working hard feel disappointed for now being able to meet quotas, while the lazier employees do not care at all. Instead, management should focus on increasing productivity by limiting the amount of time employees spend socializing with one another instead of working - this is especially true for the grocery manager and supervisor who constantly spend their time talking to one another about things unrelated to work instead of getting work done.

Very poor management/Leads

OMG! I've never witness such poor disrespectful management & Leads.Unsupportive, lack of trust towards drivers, very clicky within themselves and with other drivers. Getting angry with drivers of asking questions to understand better of things...which in turn they become very defensive and running & whining to the head leads instead being mature to have a conversation to clarify things. Which thereafter...they ignore and don't acknowledge you. This becomes stressful and makes you not want to be there in that toxic environment!!I've noticed senior drivers who train new drivers....not doing a very good job of doing so. This is very disheartening and you wonder why this drivers quit so soon from not being training properly.Anyways....I would not recommend anyone becoming a driver unless your desperate of needing a job for the short term.

Pros

snaks offered in the lunch room

Cons

met some very nice drivers...only a handful

Great staff members

The people are great, the managers need to go back to basics and learn some compassion, sensitivity, respect, overall….remember the people that work for you are human beings…just like you. We are not slaves or puppets…we are human beings…just like you!! Treat others the way you want to be treated and your family members too. Have a heart and do the right thing!!!

Pros

Great staff members

Cons

Horrible management skills from the managers

New system,New management

If you was young and you don’t know your passion ,this is your stepping stone, for pay your bill because they offered minimum pay until you can get next level.

Responsible fast pace environment

My job is too deliver groceries to your doorstep. I am responsible for about 20 stops in an 8hr day. I load 20 lbs totes into a company supplied truck. On a strict schedule I drive to each home and carry your groceries to the door. I can have as many as 6 shifts a week, but have selected 2 shifts a week.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Days go fast, accuracy and driving skills

Previous employee

Hard physical labor expect a lot for being short staffed and overall salary I found the management creepy towards female staff , not treating staff the same. I had my personal items thrown away by store manager. Overall if you need work and desperate it is ok

Benefits

Cons

Hard physical labor

Not many hours per week

You can work hard and be efficient yet that won’t matter because you hours won’t increase. Management only cares about their bottom line. Whenever cost needs to be lowered your hours will be the first ones to go.

Poor Management

Brand new store, brand new managers. They don't have a clue as to how to run a store. Schedules change mid week, never enough hours to do your job, but expect it to be done. They constantly tell you "ask managers for help when you need it" yet when you ask they never help. Promises made, promises broken. They each have their favorite department and favorite people, so if you're not one of them, watch out. Spent the first month of store opening with no communication from management, it was like we didn't exist.Finally started speaking up and saying things, and hours got cut. They put words in your mouth when they don't like what they hear from you. On one of our busiest days during Christmas, you look up and see 2 managers sitting in the managers office looking down on everyone. Great teamwork boys!!!Very disappointed to say the least. Is it the company for rushing people into management when they aren't ready? Or is it simply the management themselves? Hard to say.

Pros

Cons

Management team that is lacking people skills

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save On Foods. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement