Save on Foods logo

Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Found 1,440 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,471 reviews

Work Hours

They gave limited hours of work. Like 4 hours/day. Hired many staff but can't give enough hours for each team member. The management team is supportive and very friendly. The work environment is good.

Pros

10% discount and 30x points, free product every week

Cons

Low hours

Fun workplace

It was overall a nice place to work at with job security, benefits and most important multicultural working environment. You will get help at every single step of your work, if needed.

Pros

Free lunches sometimes.

Horrible place to work

NOT WORTH IT!If you want to stay as a general clerk you can only make up to 20.00 an hour. work is stressful and unfair. My stores supervisors do nothing to help co workers. YOU HAVE TO BABY SIT grade A workers (People in the company since 1991) and still cannot do there jobs. Underpaid and over worked with budget cuts. under appreciated staff. Overworked. Not worth it for the money. VERY little employ deals

Pros

you can choose how many hours

Cons

NO over time

Disappointed experience

Inappropriate management behaviours, lack of leadership, lack of transparency in advancement opportunities, unrealistic expectations, high turnover rates for grocery managers, old school type of management

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Poor management culture

Best place to work

Made great friends and worked a lot kept me in shape always happy to learn new things hoping one day I can get that job back I sure do miss it a lot miss the food trays

Pros

Free food

Cons

Not a lot of shifts

Management is terrible and shows no support. No one cares and the stores are failing because of it. Especially the West Maple Ridge location. Only work here if you want a part time garbage job.

Responsible fast pace environment

My job is too deliver groceries to your doorstep. I am responsible for about 20 stops in an 8hr day. I load 20 lbs totes into a company supplied truck. On a strict schedule I drive to each home and carry your groceries to the door. I can have as many as 6 shifts a week, but have selected 2 shifts a week.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Days go fast, accuracy and driving skills

Good place to work while in school but don't get stuck there

Save on foods is a fine place to work. They have a good union that makes it easy to work around school as long as you don't work more than 24 hours a week. Unfortunately you can only work full time if you are also fully available, and you can only take on supervisory and management roles if you are fully available and work full time. The people are nice enough but the gossip culture is exhausting and anyone who has worked there for more than 10 years make more money for less work than any new hire ever will.

Pros

Wasn't closed during covid

Cons

Wage disparity, employee burnout

Not enough hours

They will hire you during busy season and guarantee you 30+ hours, but don’t tell you that once it slows down your hours will be cut in half. If you want to work more than 24 hours a week, you have to have open availability as in 24/7, otherwise you’re restricted to part time hours. They also do “schedule changes” which means they change your whole schedule literally the Saturday before the next schedule, and sometimes they even did it the night before the new week.

Pros

Above minimum wage

Cons

No work life balance, last minute schedule changes

Stressful, strict, sketchy

the managers never asked for bank info, they forced me to work in departments I never applied to or wanted to work in,extremely strict, no flexibility, the managers and supervisors don't care about your mental or physical health

Pros

No comment

Cons

Overworked to see how much they can push you, extremely strict, no flexibility

Jobs at Save on Foods

See more jobs

Being a clerk was fun!

I loved coming to work and chatting with my customers I learned so much so much about them and the company, cleanliness and keeping yourself moving is key. Keeping the customers happy and coming back is second nature.Management was awesome, my Super was such a superb fun, outgoing, and supportive lady. I didn't have a problem with anybody I worked with and around, great people and great environment. I never had a dull moment in any of my shifts we all were either laughing and/or smiling, never a dull moment.The hardest part was memorising the codes for the whole produce section.

Pros

Raise and benefits after six months!

Cons

Memorising codes!

Terrible Management

Honestly, it is problably just the Save-On I was specifically working at but the management was just bad. Never had enough employees for the day therefore everyone ended up working more, taking extra hours or having to come in extra days. Also, the attitude from managment to employees wasn't moyivating at all.

Pros

Extra More Rewards Point

Cons

Everything else

Great place

I would recommend it for retired people and students. I learned a lot of things I really didn't know before.They we're very understanding about me taking time off when the pandemic started.

Pros

Great Manager

Worst place to be in

No value towards the employee, you will be treated like robots! Leaving this job, the new management has everyone under stress, our hours are taken away and yet they tell our managers to cut more hours off. It gets soo busy but 1 person has to run to do everything, you will not be able to do anything when you get home thats how demanding they have become. The mangers and assistant mangers have been working soo hard yet this company has no respect for them and show respect towards them. They have rude tones and rude ways to ask for things, i would encourage people to not fall in the trap. They offer good hours for 2 weeks after they will cut them all and only call you when they need you. Just hire people and give them the hours so we can all do our jobs properly, its literally soo stressful.

Pros

The managers and assistant managers are awesome

Cons

No hours, no respect, no value, overworked

Fun staff to work with

Fun staff to work with. Helping them with everything possible and friendly. Boss expecting more than expected. Sorry I said anything to head office. Then I get fired.

Pros

Some free lunch’s but they sucked still

Cons

Not enough pay

Great place for Advancement & Learning

I have been working with uniformed guard program for a great length of time now. I am impressed by the uniform, equal treatment, very adequate training to perform my job successfully, and with how there always room for learning. Save on Security (Kelowna) has a good team of quality guards who try their best and display a high level of customer service and professionalism. To get in with this team and with Save On Foods was one of the best decisions I’ve made in my job career so far. Resource protection is very understanding of personal matters as well, and takes care of their employees. I will always recommend to work for them.

Pros

Good training, equality, constructive feedback, opportunities to learn, advancement

Cons

Sometimes stressful like any job

stressful place to work

They expect too much of the employees. Not enough employees to get the jobs done properly, continually cutting hours so part time employees suffer with lack of hours and full time employees are expected to do the job of almost 2 employees at times.

Cons

stressful

Previous employee

Hard physical labor expect a lot for being short staffed and overall salary I found the management creepy towards female staff , not treating staff the same. I had my personal items thrown away by store manager. Overall if you need work and desperate it is ok

Benefits

Cons

Hard physical labor

Terrible work culture

Management has favorites. If you are thin you get whatever you want from the senior Management staff. Union doesn't protect you at all yet you get fees taken off every check. Management is extremely gossipy and talk about who they don't like constantly. Zero assistance in actually learning your job. Extremely unhealthy place to work.

Pros

One good looking guy working there

Cons

Emotionally draining

Fast paced with a lot to do.

In the area my store is placed there is a lot of work for security and loss prevention so it is more than simple sitting/standing at the door, there is enforcement and even arrests to be made.

Pros

Job security, busy, new things to do, great team.

Cons

Some risks

Don’t do it unless you have to

You won’t enjoy the job dudes. This is not the place you wanna be. You will barely able to talk with your friends if you’re a cashier. Boring and stressful simultaneously

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement