Save On Foods
Happiness score is 53 out of 100

Working at Save On Foods: Latest Save On Foods Reviews

Showing all 1,776 reviews
savesaveongroceryfoodunionstoredepartmentwage

Decent place to work as clerk, not higher up

Pretty decent job for people looking for a part-time position. Winnipeg region of the company is unionized so all non-salaried positions are protected. Pay is ok, meeting minimum wage for a clerk plus you get a small raise after every 520 hours The only downside of SOF is hours cut with no adjusted expectations. I started out as a clerk at a newly opened store and my first year was fine despite some minor hours cut. Then I took up the assistant dept. manager at a busier store and that's when the hours cut started to impact more. Our store made a lot of sales, but our hours got cut because higher up (regional level, not store level) wanted to "help out" the stores that didn't make sales. Hours got cut but expectations were still the same, thus my dept. manager and I were forced to skip breaks and do way more OT to make sure the department was not falling apart; we were squeezed to the last drop literally. While I could see that I've learnt a lot more skills (especially leadership and management skills), I felt like the job did not fit me anymore, so I decided to look for another job.In the end, I would still recommend SOF as a place to work. The environment is still positive and encouraging for advancement despite the hours cut and most of store-level managers are good (not all since I've worked with some horrible managers before)

Pros

Union, Decent pay for entry-level positions, Great benefits and lots of opportunities for advancement

Cons

No work-life balance for salaried positions, Constant hours cut, Horrible management does exist

It’s not bad

Not a bad place to work.Good benefitsCan be fast pacedHigh expectationsGet to meet lots of new people and rest of staff is usually greatNice to work in lots of departments

Insights into Save On Foods

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job

Tolerable jobs with HORRIBLE management

You receive minimal training then get thrown in the deep end. Biggest issue is management. They are very unprofessional, daft and not helpful. They will give you generic answers if you raise issues and keep kicking the can down the road until you stop talking. Employee discount is 10% off, they used to have a free in-store item every 2 weeks but they're so cheap they even removed that. I only put 2015 as the start date so they can't figure out who I am.

Pros

Nice store employees and a fair amount of nice delivery drivers

Cons

Management top to bottom

Not worth it at ironwood

As a former employee for ecomm and front end I can say this location isn’t worth it they pull people into every department even when the supervisors can get off their butts and do their job. Not only that but this location isn’t with the stress they will change your shifts less than 24 hours notice

Dead end

Over worked .. underpaid .. like being in high school .. union .. everyone is lazy ! Raises are 10 to 40 cents a year roughly .. work HARD to live a mediocre life

Upper managment is horrible

I loved working at Save On Foods and I would've stayed longer but managers were horrible. I was basically the team lead as I worked fulltime, but wasn't paid or considered the team lead even though I did everything. Don't bother asking for help because in short term you'll be told something like suck it up we cant afford to hire anyone else. I would help every other department if I was done my work but if I asked for help it was like everyone was dying. I could've seen myself working there for a couple years while I finished my degree. The coworkers are awesome and understand how you feel because almost all of them have the same things happen to them. Until management changes or gets in trouble for how they treat their staff I would not recommend. Also if they interview you and offer you a position once the interview is finished take that as a warning, they hire whoever and it really does show when you have coworkers who no show for shifts but they're still treated better than someone that comes to every shift

Pros

Coworkers were awesome

Cons

Managment not helpful

Good pay, good people

upper management expects the world while giving you the resources of a small town but the pay is competitive and the people are amazing. I would reccomend working here to anyone.

decent enough

not the best job in the world, but it pays the bills. it can be pretty stressful when the store is busy and the management isn't always super helpful, but the people are overall really nice and good to work with

Recent experience not so well

/Can skim to end/I have been an employee of Save on Foods for the past 3 years. It was my first ever job experience in Canada. I started in an overnight position that I resumed for 2 and 1/2 years. It was very casual and no one to bother you as long as you did the assigned tasks. However, the management changed slowly throughout, and they started cutting more hours. but that's not all. They expected you to do the same amount of work in those hours if not more. a typical 8 hour shift was cut into 4 hours yet the assigned number of tasks remained the same. Then I changed departments and started working during the day and that is when I realized that it only became more intense than ever. They told me that if I handled my duties in my particular department, I could work any stressful position because it was that intense there. I did not give up. Naturally struggled and sometimes I would finish everything but other times I could not. I have even seen staff from my new dept leaving as they could not handle the stress. I do not blame them. There was just so much to do, sometimes I wouldn't even take breaks yet fell behind. It worsened my healthy work life balance since I'm no quitter but was taking a toll on my health since I give my all in the work I have been assigned to. Ultimately, due to other circumstances and work pressure, I decided to look for another job. I would still recommend the overnight positions. They are chill. and overall, the people you work with are nice. I do not have complains against the place itself but Management.

Pros

Company events, Volunteering and other programs

Cons

Terrible work-life balance, insanely high expectations, low pay

Awful workplace and terrible management

I’ve never been so poorly spoken to by a manager in all of my years of working. They are inconsiderate and will cut your hours for no good reason. Wouldn’t let my worst enemy work here.

It's a mixed bag but worth it with the right people

My Save-On is absolutely lovely, the managers there know how to do their jobs, and they do a phenomenal job of keeping their employees in check, however, for my department, and many others I'm sure, the minute someone who isn't manager is put in charge, it's like nothing goes right, and I absolutely hate that part of it

Underpaid and fast-paced

Residing in Canmore, cost-of living is way too high. Yet, company was still paying me 16 per hour and has not given me a raise even though I've been there for 4 years. But wait, the 10% discount will save you on groceries!

Pros

Cons

Being an employee here.

Blah

Worked here for a few years. Was toxic management at the time, you never get any time off, always push people too far and never any reward even a thank you.

Nice place to work

Nicest staff cool management Dealing with public sucks .Fast paced never boring. I HAVE NO MORE TO WRITE LET ME EUBMIT STUOID

Pros

Managed

Cons

Public

No opportunities for raises

I like working for Save-on-Foods, the atmosphere there is really nice. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to make more money, especially if you are only working part-time.

It's meh.

It's an alright place to work, coworkers are great! Pay is UNBELIEVABLY low though (you start with minimum wage) and the benefits are poor and you will be forced to do alot of more extra work for no extra pay. Only work here if it's your last resort and don't work long term. It isn't worth it.

Scheduling and pay need massive improvement

2 years of work and over 2500 hours completed and a $0.20 raise? What a joke Not including the provincial minimum wage increase. Yes it’s slightly above minimum wage but you have union dues to pay so it’s the same thing. As for scheduling, they provide it 3 weeks in advance BUT you cannot change it once the schedule is out, but they have the audacity to call and change your shifts. That’s bs and what’s up with all the split days off if I’m working 32+ hours? And all the Inconsistent times in those shifts? If you want your employees to stay provide a solution to this. People want a life too

Pros

Fun people to work with

Cons

Scheduling, pay, raises

Toooooo much favouritism

They trust their old employees blindly. They don’t see efforts of new employees, whatever old employees says they pass same feedback to new employees even though old employees do nothing. They don’t care how to trained new employees. From first day, they want new ones to do perfect work.Never going back.

Not the best environment

As every store is different, my experience compared to other employees at different save on foods had been bad. For starters, management did whatever they wanted with your hours while in your probation period. I asked to work part time, 4 shifts a week but they had me and others who got hired around the same time as me working 7+ days in a row. Management would pick & choose who they liked, and made it very clear. Promises weren’t kept and the odds of getting off cash (even if you expressed you didn’t like it) were very slim. Overall just a toxic workplace. I wouldn’t recommend working here.

Pros

Coworkers were nice

Cons

Overworked & stressed

No work life balance

Read it all. Be your own judge Okay. First off. The schedule. Everyone wants to know is hours. So you start at the bottom of the food chain. Yep. You get whatever hours are available after everyone who was hired before you. Gets the hours maxed out based on their availability. For example if someone is available 16 and 24 hrs. Those two people would get 16/24 before you’d get your 16. Which is fine…. Except for the next part. The schedule is rolling. So. Like. If one week you worked Sunday to Thursday. Next week you’d work Monday to Friday. Then Tuesday to Saturday. Then Wednesday to Sunday. Then Thursday to Monday. You get the idea. Well. On night shift they don’t follow this rule. You get scheduled just whenever. For those of us “as this is not a full time position” you get to work every Sunday Monday Friday Saturday. So if you have anything happening in your own life. You can’t even count on getting any days off that you needed. For me? I requested a two week period. As I had some things happening. Leading to a lot of stress. So. Just asked for Friday Saturday Sundays for two weeks. None of the FRIDAY TO MONDAY which is what I had been on. It was just two weeks. Schedule lady approved it. Got it on email. Etc. And then what you know. Manager calls one morning saying I no showed. Explained we said. Friday. Saturday. Sunday. He says well that’s Thursday night to Friday morning. Friday night to Saturday morning. And Saturday night to Sunday morning. The problem here is day shift managers are backwards in their speech regarding talking about the schedule. -

Pros

Free fruit

Cons

Complete disregard for minor schedule requests, managers can’t speak clearly about which day we are referring to for scheduling night shifts.

Rude customers & coworkers & management

This job suckedThey hardly ever approve time off requests, customers are rude, managers are rude & absolutely no help, schedules change almost weekly which makes it very hard to plan for anything else in your life & the place is so understaffed you're constantly doing the work of 2 or 3 people at a time with no help

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save On Foods. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement