Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Decent job experience
Front End Specialist (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB16 February 2019
I enjoyed my time working for save-on as a cashier. Only issues were the long times standing, and the job did get quite dull after a long eight hour shift.
productive
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC14 February 2019
Save On is a fast paced envirmont. Its open floor which means they can put you on cash, deli , produce anywhere. Supervisers are fun to work with and managers are easy to get along with
Pros
room for advancment
Cons
late night
People not the greatest
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB12 February 2019
Full Time workers tended to hate themselves and the people around being only 16 the treated you poorly. Just because I was better at your job and have a future doesn't mean u have a right to open your mouth to me I am your superior in everyday except age.
Pros
Cons
People
Average place to work
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Langford, BC11 February 2019
For me at my location, I don't mind the jobs I do but I don't get paid enough considering I work in 6 different departments including the health and safety for the store. I only make minimum wage.

The management is nice, however they change your schedule frequently and sometimes they'll call you a week before you have a shift change.

However, they do recognize you when you do a good job and go above and beyond and sometimes you'll get something for it. They also have employee of the month.
Pros
Good benefits
Butcher
Butcher (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 February 2019
I worked alone alot, this is a great job for someone that enjoys working alone but dealiong directly with the public.
The hours were not that great and was mainly part time.
Grocery Stocker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 February 2019
I find save on foods a great place to work. Great shift flexibility and a nice working environment. Fellow staff and management are friendl and helpful.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No lunch room
Engaging workplace culture
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 February 2019
At SOF, you have a great team working with you, and the support of management. You are provided everything you need to succeed and advance in the company. Hard work and dedication will get you far. Most shifts are either 4 hours or 8 hours.
Pros
Good opportunities
Cons
Minimum wage
Painfull
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Canmore, AB4 February 2019
Long hours little rewards or benefits to working with them. We used to call it Slave-On-Foods because it was that unenjoyable. i was glad the day i left
Pros
Cons
everything else
Wine
Wine advisor (Current Employee) –  BC3 February 2019
I enjoy my position as a wine advisor a lot. I don't like the low wages, and scheduling
The pay isn't enough for what they require, but it is a good jumping off point for the wine industry
Pros
Learn a lot about BC wine
Cons
No consistent schedule, low wages
Busy environment, safety conscious
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC1 February 2019
I good first job, very fast pace environment, learn safety as a priority, management in deli department was lacking, pay was minimal and hours where not worth it with long travel times!
Good first job, treated fairly given enough breaks as well. Management does there job and is pretty fair
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 February 2019
I enjoyed working here and enjoyed connecting with my employees. It has really helped me learn how to deal with difficult people. Pay is very low and you get basically no discounts except 1 free item chosen by the store a week. Management is nice and fair however I do have a supervisor who isn’t very helpful and treats people unfairly. You are on your feet all day and get a fair number of breaks which is nice. Altogether it was a job I enjoyed and it was a great experience but definetly isn’t super exciting.
Pros
One team member offer a week, very inclusive and fair
Cons
Always on your feet for long periods of time very tiring
Okay place to work
Restaurant Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 January 2019
Good beginner job for experience. Coworkers for the most part are great. Expect to be called in on days off. Job gets repetitive. Have to find things to do when not busy with customers.
Pros
Always food in Employee lounge
Great company atmosphere and strong team playing environment
Shop Steward (CLAC Local (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB28 January 2019
Team members are always willing to help each other out and pitch in where needed. Management supports team member success and development. There's the opportunity for growth and learning.
Pretty decent.
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC28 January 2019
Working for save on I always managed to go back. Despite people saying it's negative it depends which store you're in because the one I was in everyone fought like they hated each other but at the end of the day we were a family. The pay could be better especially if you live in BC and are a newer employee. And I wish they had been more specific about fu!l time not being available because of the union even though you work 40 hours you're still considered part time
Pros
Fun atmosphere
good place to work
Cashier/Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC26 January 2019
i like working here i like the job i go to work every day it is fun sooo sooo sooo much fun fun fun yayayayayayyayayya hello how are you doing today. i don't like writing reviews
Fun and Interesting place to work
Restaurant/Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK25 January 2019
Recommended company to work for, Company to stay and work for till you grow old, good compensation, better working environment, very professional people.
Pros
Knowledgable Managers
Cons
Early Operating Hours
Best work experience i've had
Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB25 January 2019
Everyone is friendly, gets along very well. management is very understanding about life coming first, and happy to give more hours when they're available.
Pros
Benefits after working 1 year with them, friendly co-workers
Overall a good time
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB23 January 2019
I was a cashier, and I was able to talk with people, which is what I wanted. I got along with the other cashiers. I didn't like how strict they were about getting to work on time. It's set up that you have to log in 2 minutes before or after your shift starts. Anytime after that, you have to get a manager. Which I think is crazy, I don't see a problem is someone might be 5 minutes late sometimes. I was always running to punch in, it took the joy out of working there.
Pros
Lots of More Rewards Points, great training
Cons
Punch in times, you have to pay for lunch
Demanding workplace
STORE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Canada22 January 2019
This workplace is very demanding and is only getting more demanding as competition increases. It can be rewarding. There is a culture of overworking management. Management can be very ambitious.

Save On Foods does have allot to offer those who are willing to accept the corporate culture. The downside is that if you have a family you may not be able to see them very often.
This place can have an inconsistent work schedule, demand long days, and overwork you with no remorse, compensation or regard for personal well being.

Think long and hard before joining management.
Pros
Decent pay, lots to learn, great coworkers
Cons
Long hours, inconsistant schedule
Great for students
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC18 January 2019
Will work with your schedule if you have another job or going to school. Hours can be late and might not see a day off for 7 days. Or, working 1 or 2 days a week. Benefits are good if you can work up enough hours on average but expect to work late. My co-workers were excellent however and very much a team environment. You won't see this being a career however unless you get lucky and the store manager wants you for a promotion or working for 7+ years before a decent wage. 4/10 unless you want a flexible part time job.
Pros
Works with your schedule
Cons
poor pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.