Save on Foods
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Found 1,483 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,515 reviews

Pays better than the other big grocery stores

It is a lot of work, but it pays better than the other grocery stores. If you want a career in grocery, this is a good place to be. Lots of opportunity for training and advancement.

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Erratic schedules

little to no hours every week and bad management

consistently got 5-9 hours every week for the time worked there although been around from the start of the store opening. Management is lackluster and saw half of my associates resigning in the first 2 months of operation.

Cons

little to no hours

Awful work life balance/ rude managers

Managers were rude and didn't want you to have a life. Heaven forbid you ask for a weekend off and swear at you if you call in sick. Especially during covid they didn't care if you were sick and had a negative test. They take you for all you have and change your schedule with no notice. Just a complete lack of respect

Good pay terrible management

Working there for 3 months it was good pay but overall the experince was time consuming and stressful. The management were terrible to some people especially to me which is why im not working there anymore and the scheduling was very strict even for people doing school at that time. Overall id reccomend this job incase its your first but dont expect it to be too enjoyable

Pros

Good break times/ pay

Cons

Strict scheduling and management

It was okay

It was okay/ made friends. communication gaps with management as they do not have the background in the fields and have rose through ranks from the stores

Pros

Made friends

Cons

management communication

Terrible workplace

Takes about a week or more after ur payday to ACTUALLY get paid. Management does not care about ur personal life either. Was in class and they called me THREE times as I didn’t answer the first or second (keep in mind I haven’t gotten paid a week after my payday at this time) I listen to the voicemail and they are asking me to come in for a full shift. So they called me 3 times as I’m in class, haven’t paid me a week after payday, and think I’m going to come in for volunteer work at this point? Terrible place to work don’t do this to yourself. Anyone deserves better

Pros

Cons

Don’t get paid right away

Customers are always put first. The environment is very clean and has everything needed to satisfy their customers.

I always shop at Save on Foods. It is an amazing place to shop and work.Management is wonderful. Very clean products and such fresh produce. Shopping at Save on Foods always brings me comfort and satisfaction. I particularly appreciate the opportunity to price match products.

Pros

Weekly free item offered

Chill but boring

Chill co-workers, so easy to book off when you needed to It's just boring when it's not busy. Nothing else to say. They're better than other groceries companies

Pros

Pay is okay, friendly workers, free snacks sometimes

Cons

boring

Dumb management

Literally the management works upfront instead of hiring people.Maybe cause they push employees multiple departments real hard.Shifts changes every week. If working full-time, days off for you definitely change upcoming week.Good news, you can view your schedule 3 weeks in advance. But if the position describes you working at the back, you'll end up covering up break for the receiver or his whole shift.NO HR, NO training shift.Save yourself, apply to any fast food chain.Save yourself, apply

Pros

Cons

Schedule changes every week, heavily understaffed, $1 over min wage 👏👏👏

Uneducated management lacking deligation.

Management doesn't know how to deligate. They work themselves up front rather than hiring people.Pay is cheap. Dollar/hour more than min wage to work multiple departments with next to no train.Scheduling is all over the place. Every week schedule changes.Don't work here as you'll be guided by high school graduates as they are at management position.

Pros

Work here, only if it's your first job

Cons

Management will make you work multiple departments.

terrible management

I worked at save on for 2.5 years. 2 of those years were spent as a cashier (which I hated) when new hires would be hired straight into departments. managers pick and choose if seniority will apply to you. pay is pathetic as you only get a 10 cent raise for every 1000 hours you work. Managers are harsh and entitled and if you displease them once good luck getting back on their good side. if you aren't a suck up then you will not succeed or advance in the company.

Pros

fun coworkers

Cons

management, pay, grumpy old workers

Its ok

If you are willing to suck up to the bosses you will advance in the company.You also have to work your butt off. And work alone most of the time.Tough job.

Pros

Sometimes free lunches

Cons

Managers that dont care.

Great pepople to work with!

Realy friendly place to work,staff is great! Poorly organized and managed rediculous amount overturning staff. Do not attempt to have a life with the way they schedule! Hardest part of the job is to many bosses with a different agenda! The most enjoyable part of the is workers and customers!

Pros

Great coworkers

Cons

Poorly organized and managed

The work is reasonable

Staff and management are friendly and helpful but the scheduling is chaotic and in my experience my scheduling boundaries were not very well respected.

Benefits

Cons

Chaotic scheduling

Productive staff and fun environment to work in

I worked 8hrs a day. They give you resources to improve your working skills in the position you are working in. The management is really good and they care how you are. The culture is very inviting and its like you are a huge family. The hardest part of the job was the customers . The most enjoyable part was working with your colleges and getting to help people and make their day.

Pros

Very friendly work environment, get to make more friends

Productive and Fun Place to work

Excellent work place with job security, that allows a worker to be productive and to still allows for time go to school, have time with family or hobbies.

Pros

At times I would be fruit or snacks in the coffee room

Cons

Draining, thankless, and disrepectful management at Northgate

If "We aren't the Covid police" as an answer to Covid related concerns disgusts you, then Save-On-Foods Northgate is not a place for you. Covid related concerns are commonly handwaved. Poor safety and health measures. Dirty, damaged and broken equipment. Lots of responsibility, very little time, and even less manpower.Working a large department by yourself for most, if not for all your shift. Management almost never has anything good to say, no matter what.

Pros

Decent benefits

Cons

Bad, lazy management. Poor, unstable and sporadic hours.

I worked in All different departments

I started from the bottom and I ended up with a crew under me. I was an opener, closer and a person who teaches other people. I enjoyed to see the outcome of the people who wanted the job.

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Not really anything here

Not a place to shop or work!

Save On Foods is not what the company banner promotes. Beware and read between the lines and expect to be dragged under the carpet if you don't adhere to the candy coated management.

Pros

schedules in advance

Cons

toxic environment

challenging and fun

for a grocery store it had a collection of great staff and customers. The training wasn't the best but it was adequate. Too bad the turn over is so high, the management doesn't value the average worker.

Pros

mostly flexible hour wise

Cons

managment can be sexist

Worst company to work with

This is the worst place to work at. We are always overworked and underpaid. The managers are not good here, they don’t care about your health and just want u to work. The schedule is so messed up, I cannot even start to explain. Please do not apply here, its not just one store, every store of SOF is messed up.

Pros

Cons

Many. All of it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement