Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Flexible Scheduling
Driver (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 October 2018
Great company. Usually it is pretty straight forward. Some day are tough.

It's a good job overall.

There is some issues as every place does. The down side is that they don't listen to you to much.
Lots of opportunity to learn
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC14 October 2018
In the 2 years I was employed at Save on Foods, I had the opportunity to learn how to work in almost every position in almost every department. The management was sub-par, but the coworkers were wonderful and made every day worth it!
Fun and Friendly
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 October 2018
I loved working there it was great! The other team members were so friendly it just was not for me and i had life just crumbling beneath me. I totally would recommend save on foods
Pros
After 6 months you get heath+ ton more benefits
Cons
No real employee discount
Save on
Pharmacy Intern (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC11 October 2018
Workplace culture was lacking and the hardest part of the job was the customer service experience. A typical day at work would involve dealing with prescriptions
Depends on the person if you will enjoy the job or not
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  British Columbia11 October 2018
Pretty good job for a student to have. I think all high school kids should work with the general public to achieve the life skill of fast pace customer service and productivity.

Enjoyed the job up until I left, (because I had a bad attitude and didn't speak up for myself).
Pros
You work with some legit people
Cons
Sometimes you work with some not so legit people
Fun workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 October 2018
lots of opportunity for advancement
high turn over rate
the customers can make your day
management can be insensitive
all about the numbers
easy to learn lots
Customer oriented
Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB9 October 2018
It was a very physical and stressful workplace.Always needed to rush everything you did. Management wasn't the best for teaching or helping. They were all about the bottom line.The hardest part of the job was how physically demanding and exhausting it was.
Pros
Some of the people were nice
Cons
Very low paying job for the hard work
Not the best place to work.
Department Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grocery8 October 2018
Management could use some work, almost all the people are nice and friendly. Its always cold on the floor and sometimes theres not enought staff to keep up and we all get blamed when its out of our controle.
Pros
Warm staff room
Cons
Not enought hours
Very cooperative and friendly staff
frontend specialist (Former Employee) –  Stoney creek,fortmcmurray7 October 2018
enjoyed working at Save-On-Foods, and would love to return. I had the position of Cashier and liked it immensely, while I had wonderful managers, and helpful staff offering encouragement and happy smiles to help me along. I did not want to leave at all, but i had to move another city. I am very happy to return as soon as possible, I am very vibrant and excited to work again in this field.
Cons
Less hours of work some times
Get hired, hire to many, cut your hours.
Ecommerce (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 October 2018
They hire way to many people, guarantee you'll "have full 40 hours so dont get a second job!" Then one week the cut all of ecoms hours to 8 per week!! No one can live off $80 a week. Get real. Unless you want job uncertainty then this is your job. No other complaints bu
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Cut hours constantly
Enjoyment level and Job work load
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC5 October 2018
I enjoyed working at Save-On-Foods, and would love to return. I had the position of Cashier and Shelf stocker, at 8 hours a day, and liked it immensely, while I had wonderful managers, and helpful staff offering encouragement and happy smiles to help me along. I did not want to leave at all, but my illness made it tough to work through. I am very happy to return as soon as possible, I have beat the illness and very vibrant and excited to work again in this field.
Pros
Breaks and Time management
Cons
Small lockers
Don't work here unless you can put up with bad management
St NW - Dairy Specialist (Former Employee) –  silver berry, Edmonton4 October 2018
the summary says it all, management is abusive and was not understanding in terms of flexibility of scheduling
Typical work day ended with me being over worked, to work faster then i'm able to and ends up hurting myself most days, really need a strong back
was quite the workout
Pros
gains
Cons
everything else
Productive and family-like coworkers
Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 October 2018
Fun, fast paced work. Lots of incredible staff. Lots of opportunity to advance in the company, whether managing or working in the Langley head office.
Pros
great staff
Cons
not overly flexible hours
Horrible Management
Cashier/Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC1 October 2018
In my month working there, some major issues came up. Here they are in (semi)-chronological order:

1. They told me orientation would be only 4 hours, when it was actually 8 hours. I missed part of my shift at the job I was still working at that time.

2. Poor coordination. When I started in the bakery, nobody knew they were supposed to be training me - for 3 shifts in a row! This lead to me not being thoroughly trained in the bakery.

3. Shift scheduling. I was constantly scheduled to close the bakery on my own, despite not being properly trained and having only worked there for 12 hours. I rarely was able to complete the tasks provided in my 4 hours closing. Sometimes the bakery manager told people working before me to give me extra work to help me get better, but that extra work ended up being 3 hours on top of the already excessive work given to a new employee.

4. Payroll issues. I had to resubmit my direct deposit form 3 times before they finally paid me correctly. I didn't get my first 2 paychecks until I was 3 weeks in to working there - and paychecks get sent every week!

The work itself was not bad, but management made this an unbearable experience.
Pros
free lunch at orientation, unionized, weekly pay.
Cons
see review.
Low morale / abusive supervisor at Orchard Plaza
Personal shopper order picker Ecom (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC orchard plaza1 October 2018
Ecom (personal shopper/grocery order picker) manager was abusive , sarcastic and condescending. She constantly sent mixed messages. Spoke to several levels of management and nothing changed. Was forced to leave.
Pros
Fun interacting with customers and other staff
Cons
Abusive. High turnover. Not enough staff.
Great place to work, good morale, good people.
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK28 September 2018
Simply a great place to work, there’s lots of opportunities to move up if you’re willing to work for it, very high quality products, seemingly reasonable prices, etc.
Pros
The best people, on both sides of the counter
Cons
Definitely will not get you rich
General Clerk Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC24 September 2018
This is an okay job for someone just entering the work force. IT IS NOT A CAREER unless you are a supervisor or manager and even then...
Your shifts vary from day to day and it is very difficult to plan a life and go to personal and social events outside of work. New workers (less that 6 years) almost never get time off on the weekend. Forget about joining a club unless you restrict your days of work. The maximum days per week you allowed to restrict is one, even if you restrict the number of hours.
Benefits are minimal on the medical and dental etc.
Most people you work with are fine.
Customers are the hardest part of the job. Some of the customers are terrible. They can treat you any way they want to. Customers can be as rude as they want to be to an employee and management will ALWAYS TAKE THE CUSTOMER'S SIDE over the employee's side. Not only that the cashier will be written up if they call the customer on their nonsense. I don't know many people who enjoy being a cashier.
Pros
It is better than a kick in the pants!!!
Cons
Pay and very difficult work
productive fun accepting workplace and eployees.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC24 September 2018
Everyone was very nice, easy to work with as well as helpful and patient when training me. Communication between coworkers and management is awesome and easy to do.
Pros
flexible
Cons
late hours
It was a good environment but had its flaws as well
Deli Departmental Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 September 2018
Good place to get a summer job but the job gets increasingly tedious and monotonous and there's , furthermore a lot of in-store politics. Some co-workers are good but some are really hard to deal with as well.
friendly fun good place to learn
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC21 September 2018
I found the management team supportive and quick to answer any questions, the training was fun. I enjoyed meeting my new work mates, helping and watching them grow. it was sad when I watched them leave for bigger horizons. even sadder when I left.
Pros
atmosphere of friendship
Cons
sometimes the work seemed to much

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.