Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Would not recommend
Part Time retail associate (Former Employee) –  Squamish23 May 2018
Extremely difficult to move to the next level or I would say next to impossible. Senior staffs always have priority over shift times etc. Quantity over quality strategy.
Pros
nothing much
Cons
No room for advancement even when they know you have potential
Great place to work if you are willing to stick around and advance
Bakery Manager (Current Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC16 May 2018
Save On Foods has been a great place to work for the past 15 years. The people are often fun and friendly and if you work hard you can advance very easily.
It is very good place to work for students no pressure while studying
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 May 2018
It is good place to learn skills of customer service . Management is very respectful and caring for their employees. There is no stress on employees. It is a fun place to work.
Pros
It is good place to earn customer service experience without any stress.
Cons
There is no advancement like further position .
lots of stress for little pay
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC15 May 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is the co-workers and many of the customers can be pleasant to serve.

The company expects employees to go the extra mile for wages that are non-competitive wages and seldom gives two days off in a row for going the extra mile and also gives night morning shifts so oftentimes there are employees who are sick.

A typical day at work is going at full pace working hard and listening to the same ten unpleasantly high pitched tunes blaring during the nine hour day.

The workplace morale is low because the company doesn't appear to recognize that it is human beings and not profit making machines that work for them. There is high turn over which can be sad because many good employees pass thru there but don't stay long.
Pros
the expired food in the lunchroom is free
Cons
long hours, inconsistent random schedule
Absolutely Horrible Place To Work For Those With An Ounce Of Work Ethic
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 May 2018
This was my second job ever and I worked as a Produce Clerk. Super invasive work environment. I heavily value individual work over group work, so when I saw Produce Clerk, I thought that I was going to be stocking produce and could just be on my own, doing my own work that was necessary. That was the complete opposite. Co-workers were super lazy, would force me to do work they did not want to do, and would spend most of their shift talking instead of working, often trying to talk to me which led me to do less work. Managers on the same coin have favourites in the workplace, picking employees that they are friends with and employees they don't like. The amount of micro-managing that my manager did was unreal, nit-picking and over-managing every single thing I did. I would see a vacancy in produce, and the managers would tell me to do something completely different because the co-workers who spend all day talking were going to get to it eventually.

Not to mention, we are expected to be overly friendly to the customers. Clerks are expected to say hello and strike up conversations with every single customer that walks into the store. When I'm focusing on my work, I can't be checking up every five seconds to make sure I say hello to a new customer. Often times as well, customers would find it flat out annoying just by looking at their facial expression, as many are there to shop. It's hard for me to fake happiness in a complete moronic work environment.

The numerous amount of social distractions in this workplace doesn't allow for efficient production in the workplace.
  more...

Also, we had to pay full price for all items at the store. That's unheard of to work at a place, and not get discounts for the product.

Only benefit I can think of with working here is that I was offered to speak to the supervisors and managers on the day I hired, and they asked me a couple of questions. I can only imagine this is because nobody gets work done so they're all free to do this.
Pros
Hiring process is efficient.
Cons
Distracting work place, no discounts, micro-managing power hungry managers, work doesn't get done.
Easy job with guaranteed hours.
Front End Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB13 May 2018
Good management, easy tasks, consistent hours. Recommend this as a first job or if you're tight on cash. Everyone is easy to get along with and you will not feel left out.
Pros
Good lunch and coffee breaks, good hours, good management
Noninvasive, very accessible jobs
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 May 2018
The work was not overly stressful and the management was approachable. Learned how to help and handle customers and coworkers were fun and very accepting. Highly recommendable for anyone.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Tedious, but steady, wage increase
Lots to do, learn a lot
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC12 May 2018
Hard work but worth the effort. Lots of flexibility regarding shifts ie if u want later shifts u get them. Good benefits but u need to wait a year to get them and maintain 24 hr average.
Pros
3 breaks per shift
Cons
None unless u don't like 5AM shifts
Fun workplace
More Rewards associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 May 2018
I was not given enough work hours because they hired many people when they first opened. However, the it was a pleasant work environment with great employees. It also paid well.
Fast paced fun place to work.
Customer Service / Meat and Seafood (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC9 May 2018
Working for Save On foods taught me a lot about the different types of meat and seafood. A very fast paced area of a grocery store. the hardest part of the job was having to be in the cold area where the fresh meat has to be kept and wrapped. I enjoyed working on the floor cooking the demos for the customers to enjoy samples of.
Fun workplace, great environment.
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  South Surrey, BC9 May 2018
Excellent workplace to enhance customer service skills. Great place to learn how to work with a team. Was placed in almost every department which allowed me to gain new skills.
Still new but enjoying the job
GROCERY (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 May 2018
Like any other part-time, minimum wage job theres nothing amazing about this one. But the staff is great and upbeat, fun to work with. They are able to easily work around my shift if I call in for a sick day.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Not a lot of hours
Dead workplace where everyone wants to die
Barista (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 May 2018
While the above is true it can be fun but people who shop there are infuriating. The managers tend not to do anything and wont help you if you need something. Most people want to talk so thats very nice.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Managers sucks
great place
Retail merchandiser and customer service (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC3 May 2018
had fun, work was enjoyable, great people hours were usually very long, but the work itself was not too strenuous. got pretty boring at some points, but it was manageable
Pros
nice uniform
Cons
Managers have no regard for their empolyees
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 May 2018
The managers pick certain employees that they do not like and pick on them and make it very difficult to like going to work. Save on foods is unionized but the union doesn't work for the employees, they work for the managers.
could have been better
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK2 May 2018
When I worked at Save on Foods, it was the first store to open in my city and it had only been open for around two months. Maybe that is the reason, but it was never enjoyable working there. All the managers seemed to be their own group and didn't associate with the other workers. Although I worked with some of the people for about over 4 months, I still don't know any of the names of the other workers.
Nice and calm environment to work in
GROCERY CLERK (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 May 2018
great environment to work in, typical days as a grocery clerk is stocking items, has a multicultural workforce, most enjoyable part of the job is that everything is on your own pace.
Pros
Free food, snacks
Cons
not all hours guaranteed, sometimes its given sometimes its not.
stable work environment
Sushi Maker (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB29 April 2018
save on is union based which provides many perks and ensures your job security. hours are good and getting time off is not to hard either. overall a very great pace to work.
Pros
free lunches sometimes.
Cons
no discounts
Good first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 April 2018
This was my first job so I was able to learn a lot of new skills as well as meet new people. Management was good and you learn a lot of problem-solving skills along the way.
It was okay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 April 2018
It's a cashier job, I can't really be picky about how it should go, but it was more or less poorly managed and very disorganized, and because it was in a snobby area it wasn't a place to interact with a lot of kind people. I did like my coworkers more than anything.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Poor management, not a fun job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.