Save on Foods

Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Found 1,377 reviews matching the search
Featured review
Save on Foods selected this as a representative review
Save-on-Foods is a good place to work with good opportunity for advancement. They offer competitive wages, great benefits, and a friendly atmosphere.My co-workers were good to work with, and several became good friends.
My worst days are when I get overwhelmed with the workload or get treated harshly, but my best days make me feel like I've spent the day getting things done with friends and making customers happy--the latter outnumber the former. Most coworkers and customers are very nice and the work itself is predictable and generally manageable. I recommend working mostly on weekends, I've found the mon-fri full timers can take work too seriously.
Pros
Good opportunities for making friends, work is simple, the lady who writes the schedules is very nice :)
Cons
Often get called in on my days off, hard to form relationships/communicate with management
Shifts were 12 hours and we were often understaffed. Always more supervisors than workers. The salary was below many other similar places and there was no pension. Worked alone at night and weekends (unless there was a show or WHL hockey game).
Cons
12 hour shifts, often understaffed, no pension
Worst company lied to people during the Covid crisis. Said they would look after you if you stayed and worked but what the really meant is that if you started with symptoms you could go on government assistance like the rest of the country. Just lie after lie!! anything to keep it going at the possible cost of a life.
Pros
Cons
company lies
Everyday I came into work I was incredibly stressed, management is no help and is quite lazy. They expect you to do everything yourself and correctly (even being newly hired). If you ask questions, they get mad. If you don't ask questions but mess up even a little bit, they also get mad. Management also is very condescending and the pay is not worth the stress they put you through. My manager always made me feel as though I was about to be written up/fired. They make it seem like this can be a long-term thing, for the majority its not. I also was scheduled to work part-time (as I was a first-year university student taking a full class load), they'd schedule me for around 30-35 hours per week. When there were weeks I had scheduled breaks and was able to work, they'd schedule me for about 10.If you can, stay away.
Pros
10% discount, Coworkers were nice
Cons
Long hours, little help, management is terrible
I would recommend working at Save On FoodsGood training, Respectful employees , quality products, good prices ,fast service, clean store, good location
Pros
Free food
Cons
Low hours
I loved working at Save-On-Foods. I worked in the personal shopping and only left because I moved back to Québec, but it was my favourite job I have had. The team was so friendly, the job was fun, and the management was very fair.
Pros
Free food in staff room, flexible schedule, supportive management
Cons
On feet a lot, work under pressure
It was pretty easy to work here. The staff were alright. But management was pretty bad. Very judgemental and rude. Seemed pretty lazy too. Good thing is, the work is easy, pretty much anyone could do it.
Pros
Easy tasks
Cons
Bad management
Good temporary job, but schedules are so scattered, you can't plan outside of it. My co-workers were great, but I really did not like the managers. If you had a problem with something, they just told you either get over it or go home. Really disappointed.
Pros
Lots of breaks, price break
Cons
Crazy schedule, bad management, low salary
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Save on Foods?
They are driven by the rules of the union and are strict with amount of hours they give. Scheduler is childish and will give you bad hours if you complain. Even if you are willing to work more they won't give you hours. They often change schedule after its been posted, sometimes multiple times, so it is hard to schedule life events. Some people are hard to work with, others are very nice. They appreciate people with a good work ethic.
The produce manager sucked. The schedule sucked. The management was biased and not friendly. The store manager, other managers and supervisors were friendly and encouraging. The colleagues were good and supportive. Work is challenging sometimes which was good for me.
Pros
Free food (sometimes), good colleagues, good benefits (full-time), overtime
Cons
Lots of taxes and deductable fees, biased, no room to make mistakes (even for new comers)
You feel like just another number. Constantly changing your schedule so hard to plan a life outside of work. Need to give 21 days notice for time off.
Pros
Give you free food.
Cons
Favoritism, not good communication with the management.
The pay is garbage, You raise is 10 cents. They lie about alot of the benifits you will receive, such as tuition and such. Company can be sneaky snakes, managment changes alot which mean it could be good or bad. The company itself is very cheap. They understaff and under pay. They tell you that your schedual is put 3 weeks in advance but in reality they can change your schedual at anytime without any repurcussions if its more then 24 hours into the future. They will schedual you to close and then schedual you to open the next day. In regards to that they can make you work for 8 days straight without any overtime or benifits. Also I never got my benifit paper work until it was two months late. Also the union is horrible, they dont care, my rep never got in contact with me even though I contacted them multiple times. Work here if you need to goto school or something or if its your last resort, you will grow old and be stressed out.
Pros
Free food
Cons
No rights, paid poorly, high stress job for minimal wage.
Title says it all. This place stared great but the drama and the way they treat people are horrible. I would not recommend this place to anyone to work.
The day to day work is pretty straight forward, usually department managers and co-workers are fun to work with. At the end of the day, upper management only cares about their bottom line and turning a profit at the expense of the employees. Pushed hard and often required to do more work than can be fit into a regular shift. Departments are often understaffed and not always provided with enough support to succeed. Stress levels are very high for a minimum wage job.
Pros
Coworkers are usually friendly, minimal benefits available
Cons
Often breaks are missed in order to finish work, upper management aren't supportive
Just couldn't handle the stress there. Management was a very stressful person to deal with. I felt over worked and wasn't treated well than other co workers. I was trained alot of different departments and I was all over the place and couldn't focus on a few departments that I worked in. Good experience at first but did like going into the new year
Pros
No lunches or chrismas parties
Cons
Short lunch breaks on all shifts
Supervisor in one Edmonton store is a bully. She consistently picks on the personal shoppers who are young and are working at their first job. She rotates who she victimizes and is also a racist. The young employees are afraid to report her because they need the job to pay rent and education costs. If Save On Foods claims to be an important contributor to the community and youth employment then something should be done about this nasty person.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
new staff get all the hours and long term staff are shorted, Bullying in the workplace
If I could afford to live in that town of probably still be working there. For customer call for us employees we had one phone in the department and if someone else was on it the phone talking to somebody else it would continue reading making customers and other store departments look there is no way of stopping it management had phones on their hips when they were around.
Pros
Worked with food
Cons
No over time
Good place to work I enjoyed my time there with the people I worked with . I worked in making the buffet and keeping it at temp for customers satisfaction and safety in food .
you're completely on your own.Can't trust any other employees.Be smart don't work there.outdated food rotten produce .management likes to play head games.
Pros
Cons
job for losers
As a former Save-On-Foods employee I can confirm that it is an excellent store. They made sure they were always fair with their employees and ensured a welcoming environment for customers.
Pros
Good work environment and friendliness
Cons
High turnover rate
  1. Employee reviews