Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Slave-on-Foods...
Senior Specialists (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 December 2018
The workload continues to increase and the number of hours to complete it to standards decreases, which equates to working overtime without compensation just to keep managers from browbeating you!

Let's face it, upper management need their heads shaken to realize that cutting department hours and expecting ever increasing workload standards to be met is NOT possible! All you do is stress out your staff unnecessarily; it's slavery.

Provide reasonable department hours and stop expecting staff to part the sea everyday.
fun first job
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC6 December 2018
great first job, takes a long time to move up pay scale. coworkers make the job great. do not expect to get weekends off unless you book them off. customers can be too much.
don’t work here
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 December 2018
i have been working for this company for 2 years now and nothing has changed—other than the contestant revolvement of new employees. the reason these employees keep leaving? 100% because of the management; the management is terrible and employees are treated like scum. hours are a complete joke (i work roughly 8 hours a week, 15 if i’m lucky), and there are no benefits whatsoever. to be completely honest, the single only reason i’m still working for this company is because of my coworkers: the nicest, sweetest group of people ever. also, the company is headed into the ground aka they’re broke which ties back to hours being terrible for everyone, unless you have full time availability. highly suggest not working here unless you have absolute no luck at finding another company to work for.
Pros
friendly coworkers
Cons
no benefits, terrible hours, all management cares about is looking good
Family oriented
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 December 2018
The entire store works as a team. There isn't a "that's not my department" attitude, we help in whatever department we can to get jobs done. Community driven for fund raising.
Pros
diverse employee hiring
Cons
lack of communication
KITCHEN/RESTAURANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC3 December 2018
Store management is quite young. All working towards Regional Director positions. Currently the CBA is not paying enough to retain people, and they are being lost....
Pros
Great Online learning tools
Cons
Salary
day to day work is good
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 December 2018
Can be a good working environment, will teach you a lot, training courses, can improve your knowledge, experience and skill levels people I work with care about customers.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
sometimes tough days, but that happens everywhere
Standard cashier postition
Front-End Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 December 2018
It was a cashier position. The people I worked with were nice enough, but sometimes the supervisors were not the best at making decisions and often assumed we wanted later breaks. Other than that, nothing special
Great company! Fun and people oriented management.
Scheduling Assistant (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC29 November 2018
Great company to build a career. People and customers are the most important for the company care value. The management is great and they know how to motivate their staff.
productive and fun fast paced envronment
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC26 November 2018
i loved working there. it was a great learning experiance. the staff is friendly and the envronment was team orientated and fast paced work. i enjoyed the work, i learned alot and definatley reccomend working here if you enjoy hard work.
Pros
great pay
Good experience
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 November 2018
Great place to work ,
nice people
good environment,
important policies about costumer first , good place to develop communication skills.
The managers are supporting persons.
Procedures are clear
Pros
Nice co workers and supervisors
Cons
Schedule
great
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC22 November 2018
good place to work, nice people and a encouraging environment. very easy going with school schedule and accommodating for all my needs. great beginner job.
Overall good workplace
Bakery Department Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, AB20 November 2018
A typical day depended on if I worked one of three shifts I was trained in. Packaging, closing, or as the secondary baker or 'MIWI' as its called in the department. On a packing shift I would solely be responsible for packaging anything that comes out of the main bakers oven. On closing shifts I would pan up required frozen products to be baked off in the morning following my shift. while on MIWI, I am responsible for collecting and keeping count of all expired product, baking select products in the secondary oven, packaging them and putting out on the shelves.
Management is fairly good, not much I can say other than sometimes I wish they communicate more with the employees about certain policies getting put in place or new product. But overall good.
Culture is good, all employees are very nice, easy to get along and make friends.
Hardest part of the job is time management, you must be consistent with getting product in and out of the oven or else you will fall behind very quickly.
Most enjoyable part is being able to make connections with the staff who work there and sometimes customers. Being a part of a store that promotes sustainability and quality local producers.
Nice employees and nice pay schedule
Cashier, General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC19 November 2018
A typical day at work was quite unpredictable in the way of trying to figure out how busy it would be that day. I learned how to talk to customers and how to problem solve (it was my first ever job). The management was nice but they'd schedule me for shifts that were well into the night. The workplace culture was okay, all my coworkers were nice. The hardest part of the job was when working in grocery, they wouldn't tell me that I was supposed to be off until I was working an hour of overtime. I enjoyed talking to customers the most and the pay schedule was great.
Pros
Good pay schedule
Cons
Not flexible with schedules
sucked
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC19 November 2018
hated it. for such a ' well established' company they are unorganized, rude and so much more. there pay is 10 cents over minimum wage
after taxes its nothing. as a cashier your pulled from till to till, running around the store.
Fun place to work at
Front End Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 November 2018
The job involved interacting with customers, therefore if you love working with people and talking to people then this might be the job for you. They give great hours and work with the availability you give them.
Good staff bad customers
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC16 November 2018
The hard part of working at any grocery store are the customers that attend. Due to this I didn't like working at the store i was located at. It made it unpleasent to work at.
Great place to work!
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC14 November 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my job at Save on Foods! I had lots of friendly co-workers, and met lots of nice people. I never had any problems with staff, or customers. I learned a lot and had fun while doing it!
Great people
IT (Current Employee) –  Langley14 November 2018
Great people and environment. The "fun" in the office has significantly dwindled over the last 10 years.

I'd say if salaries matched industry standards for the region, the job would be more fulfilling.
Pros
Flexible working hours, good benefits
Cons
Salaries are not equivalent to industry standard for the region
fun job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC11 November 2018
liked working there staff always kind. customers could be mean sometimes.. i liked working there. Learned about new meats and salads. Sundays are always busy
Good Starter Job
Cashier/Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK8 November 2018
I'm going to just say that I didn't like it because one of the assistant managers was kind of rude to people and didn't seem to care if someone was hurting from a past injury or didn't feel good. O just wish Save on Foods had more options to give.
Pros
Amazing Coworkers
Cons
Poor Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.