SAVAGE Employee Reviews

Savage is a dead end company
Worker (Current Employee) –  Bruderheim, AB14 March 2018
First off I’d like to start with the biggest Lie they can feed you!

Savage prides themselves on ‘having integrity’ which could not be farther from the truth.

Regardless of your attitude, skill or work ethic, there is no room for advancement both financially and career wise. Upper management claims “with savage you can do things you never dreamt possible”
In a way that is true, I never dreamed I’d get a 40% pay cut, and then do twice the work for zero raises or incentives for over 3 years. Only to be threatened and told by management that ‘’if you don’t like it, quit, we’ll replace you tomorrow” or to be told that “you should just be happy to have a job” as only savage veterans advance, move up the paygrade and anyone not drinking the koolaid is left behind. Furthermore you are told to be content with not so much as a cent for cost of living raise or any financial gain unless you are a ‘veteran’ and secretly get paid more than you are suppost to. For a person with a family to provide for that’s pretty hard to accept. On top of all that there is a quarterly “safety bonus” that is suppost to be an incentive .... to be safe......instead the management constantly abuses that, threatening to take it away if certain things are not done such as housekeeping and other personal projects they feel should be done; not safety related at all! They work on other companies sites so reporting of hazards are an industry standard...... if any worker reports any legitiment safety concern that might negatively impact how the company looks, it is dismissed and deemed unnecessary. That
  more... takes me back to the ‘nothing trumps safety at savage’ quote that is preached to no end. The brothers who started the company would roll in their graves if they saw how humans are treated. ( and to be clear there is no torture or crimes against human rights, just the total ethics of the company is falsified)

My personal opinion is upper management is in experienced at managing people as they were only just regular operators themselves mere months before getting promoted with no qualifications, no schooling other than the fact that they drink the most company ‘koolaid’. THEY are only interested in THEIR reviews, keeping THEIR budgets down so THEY can get their bonus’ to boost THEIR salary’s.

If you want to waste years of your life for no progress, fulfillment or financial gain, then this is the place for you.

If you don’t heed my warning then you deserve this job.
Pros
If you work here any other job in the world will seem better after
Cons
Biased management, no pay increase, false company values
Overall a good company to work for.
transloader (Former Employee) –  Nampa, AB5 October 2016
A company that appreciates and respects their employees and their employees opinions. Very family oriented company that makes one feel a part of the company and not just another employee. Would gladly go back to work for this company when the oil patch recovers. Would like to pick up where we left off. I was almost signed off to run locomotive and would enjoy learning more.
Worst companey I'v ever worked for
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bruderheim, AB3 February 2016
My former employer sold there Bruderhime assets and the new owner subcontracted the operation to savage. This resulted in a 40% pay cut for my self.

During there orientation / hr meeting which was 1 month after startup and ran to 3 am (who runs a hr meeting on night shift?) the HR guy suggested we did not deserve sick day more money, and perhaps that's why the former company was unsuccessful. He promised to get back to us on our concerns and never did. we had to go to Alberta labor to get the company to comply with provincial overtime laws

Safety is secondary to production, the now assistant manger once sent a guy out by him self in the rail yard to clean on top of a rail car without fall protection. Drug and alcohol testing is only preformed on select employees, if your long term and spill have a safety incident no testing is done and no incident report is written up.

There is very little stability there they higher and lay off based on market fluctuations. one guy got a layoff in his orientation. 8 others got tossed less then two months on the job but they added a second assistant mangier.

Hard skill are not required or valued (the mangier has to ask what KPI stood for...) there full focus is soft skills and attitude, people can be afraid to work in the rail yard with you because of poor skill but you will get promoted if you express you love of the company.

Please don't disregard this as a bitter employ who misses the gravy days of the old company, there is a recurring them in the bad and good reviews here. This is an American company with an American
  more... point of view. They believe they are the best at what they do and if you don't agree then you can go. They have little respect for the worker and a very narrow scope of operations. Production is foremost in there minds, there is no formal training or certification for anything other then the rail yard. The vast majority of the local staff hate savage that's why all three of the operations mangers were brought form other sites.

I cant see them being there long as the client has expressed there distaste in savages performance many time and many workers have bee approached by the customer and asked if they would like to leave savage and work directly for the site owner.
Pros
super easy work, verry little going on since they lost most of the carrier contracts
Cons
culture and saftey