Saskatoon Health Region Employee Reviews

A good place to work
Special Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK10 September 2018
Very Fast pace ,working with family ,working with a lot of different kinds of people Doctors, nurses, OT ,PT etc als needing to manger or time to get your work load none.
People working the hardest make the least!!!
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Wynyard, SK6 August 2018
I have a *someone's gotta do it job* in housekeeping and laundry. We are on our feet all day and make the least. Oh.. and have the pleasure of cleaning up EVERYONE elses mess all the time.
Other departments have scheduled report times or can sit and visit with patients/clients.. but no. If we get caught watching a news story on tv or stop for a cookie we are reprimanded.. while EVERYONE else has time for that in their day..
Our union has been shoved to the wall by the gov and we employees are suffering. Won't even go there with the poor management....
Pros
Paid 15 min monitored coffee breaks..?
Cons
Unpaid lunch.. stressful work conditions
worst place on the planet
Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  Royal University Hospital, Saskatoon2 August 2018
I currently work at Royal University Hospital. I have worked at all three hospitals in Saskatoon. I tried many different departments by internal transfer. All departments I worked in suffer from poor management, rampant bullying, gossip, discrimination and have rampant verbal abuse between employees. People with health issues (like heart conditions, thyroid, diabetes, anxiety, depression, hernia, shoulder injuries, cancer, female reproductive organ surgeries) who have no choice but to use sick time when they are having major problems are treated horribly for being sick. The union (SEIU WEST) used to be strong about 15 years ago but is now weak, lazy and useless. They will not help you. The employer uses human resources to bully employees when they feel like it. If you report an incident in the workplace that needs to be rectified you are told you are lying/over reacting/ just like to cause problems. Everyone in each department was very stressed every day due to lack of good working conditions. Overall all that I have learned in working for the saskatchewan health authority is that you are a worthless number, don't ever get sick and even though it is a horrible place you had better not say anything about it to help improve it.
Pros
money is meh
Cons
extremely negative work environment
Great
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 April 2018
Great place to work. I have learned a lot while working in this health region. I have worked in numerous facilities and have enjoyed them all. I love helping people and that makes what I do so fantastic.
care driven company
Director Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 April 2018
Currently healthcare in Saskatchewan is going through the health system transformation. From 12 Regional Health Authorities to the single Saskatchewan Health Authority

The IT team and partners at the original Saskatoon Health Region are among the best in the country and was my greatest privilege to work with.

Patient centric , often stretched to the limit, people went above and beyond to make sure patient care is provided 24/7.
Pros
all employees know and care for the clients at any level of organization
Cons
work/life balance is difficult to achieve in out-of-scope levels
Competitive wages and benefits
Certified Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK16 March 2018
The best part about the job is the patients. Its busy, fast-paced environment that keeps you on your toes all shift.
You meet lots of people during a shift, and there is always something new to learn. I find it a very rewarding place to work.
fun work place
info nurse (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK7 February 2018
very close knit staff, everyone relatively friendly. Administration not very supportive of personnel situations that you maybe experiences but over all a pleasant place to work.
Pros
flexible
Cons
not always supportive of staff
work place
cca (Former Employee) –  Watson, SK31 January 2018
great atmosphere. good management.loved working night shifts and 12 hr shifts for hca's . dementia wings were definitely more challenger but rewarding. nice to wok in pairs.
Pros
long hrs if wanted
Great workplace
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon19 January 2018
Productive workplace. Positive environment to help improve the lives of many people. Enjoy helping people get better and achieve their full potential.
What a day looks like as a Home Care Nurse
Home Care Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 November 2017
The shift started at 0730. First we would begin by organizing client charts so we knew who we had to see that day. Then we would grab all the supplies we needed for the day and leave the office to go see our first client. In a day we would see anywhere from 5-12 people depending on length of visit. At the end of the shift we would go back to the office to finish charting and drop the charts off to the evening staff. Management was not very organized and there was a hierarchy between the RN,s and LPN,s which at times was not very fun to be at work
Pros
can go to personal appointments during work time if needed
Cons
management
a lot of team work which is helpful
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 November 2017
being a nurse requires you to think outside the box, it also shows you how to be compassionate and understanding. A nurse has a lot of experience working with a wide variety of cultures and backgrounds, which gives us insight into what people struggle with and succeed in. Hardest part of the job is to not take the job/day home with you, finding coping mechanisms and distressing techniques.
SWITCHBOARD OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK7 November 2017
Working a 12 hour shift at switchboard took some getting used to, but the 4 person team is close knit and focused on getting the over 5500 calls handled in a professional manner each day.

Couldn't ask for better management, and if any issues come up (which happens at any job site) the managers were proactive and supportive.

The most difficult part of the job is the initial learning curve. It takes about 8 months of training to be able to handle the volume of information you need to know, but once you understand the health care system, the work becomes pretty basic.

The most enjoyable part was working with the wonderful women on our team. Just knowing you made a difference makes the hours fly by. I also loved that every day brought different experiences--traumas, codes, alarms. It definitely keeps you on your toes.
Fast Paced Environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK2 November 2017
Faced paced hospital environment with lots of learning opportunities being a teaching hospital. Lots of communication and collaboration with many interprofessional teams in coordinating care for patients.
Stressful place to work
Special Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK13 October 2017
Not a happy environment to work in always conflict between management and staff. Patients never looked after right. Unhealthy place for patients and staff
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
I want to a job for learning experience
Work Readiness (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 September 2017
I learnt a few skills in getting ready to work but I need an actual job. Resume writing was the first thing I learnt and to keep my education a priority
Something different every day
Addictions Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK12 September 2017
Great place to work with lot of opportunities to advance. Great environment and something new every day. Have the chance to interact with clients and learn new things from them.
Increasing number of racist and discriminatory staff
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK16 August 2017
I've worked at St. Paul's Hospital on 5th Med for quite a while. I had to get out really quick. You will never feel welcome and you can only pick a few staff that are genuinely nice. The nurse educator is really intimidating. You'll be scared if you're a colored person.
Pros
High salary and nice benefits
Cons
Discrimination is rampant
Good enviroment and people to work with
Office Administrative (Current Employee) –  Saskaton, SK30 May 2017
Great place to learn and professional advance. Good enviroment and people to work with. I like my work although it is temporary.
I work in the division of mental health and I am passionate about collaborating in the recovery.
Pros
career advance
Cons
Temporary position
Busy Acute surgical ward.
Acute surgical nurse (Current Employee) –  5B Surgery18 September 2016
The ward I work on is typically very busy, we deal with general surgery patients which can be very acute with changes happening at all times. The hardest part of the job is not being able to spend enough time with the patients due to work load. The best part of my job is when a patients thanks you for your care, especially if you have been this patients nurse for the course of their stay. Our ward is team nursing which makes it easy to work with one another. You need to count on each other to make your day flow at times.
exciting and challening work environment
Director, Practitioner Staff Affairs (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK6 August 2016
dynamic work environment, talented, dedicated and highly committed team members, collaborative partnerships internal and external to the organization