Saskatchewan Health Authority

Saskatchewan Health Authority Pay & benefits reviews

Canada128 reviews
Like all jobs has its good and bad and its ups and downs. Can be stressful and not all management are fit for their roles. Overall a decent place to work.
Horrible pay, no raise in 4 years. Horrible work life balance... good luck having holidays and summer vacay with family unless you have 20+ yrs seniority. Youd think being in healthcare youd have good benefits but its not that great. Not all managers are suited for their roles, 2 out of the 4 managers i have had since being employed are the worst ive ever had in my entire working life. Care more about budget than staff safety, constant issues with not being paid properly. In my LTC site they seem to make their own rules rather than following provincial guidelines during a pandemic.. told to come sick instead of isolate, i guess thats what you can expect when you're so severely understaffed.
Pros
Sorry i got nothing... better than minimum wage
Cons
Pay, benefits, union, safety, managers
Good benefits and pension plan. I love my job. I also aspire to be accepted for RN program someday. I like that we're part of Union, though not a strong one, give you peace of mind that someone can help you.
Friendly, informative, walk about and asked what felt I could bring to the position. Offered ideas for advancement, reviewed benefits. Reviewed expectations. Reviewed line of communication.
Working for years I have seen to go from a disciplined organization to a Chaotic state. Sounds exaggerated but after over 30 years and many departments I have noticed that Management and staff Stress levels are high everywhere. Management continues to extract as much time out of staff as they can causing some departments to get their sick time up, They then punish anyone who takes sick time. Oh BTW they do not cover sick notes which you need after the 3rd day, You will absorb the 10 to 30 $ yourself , funny thing is YOU don't need then note THEY do..Management secretly encourages the staff by making key members push the others members to start 5 to 15 minutes early (no pay and not covered by WCB if you injure yourself ) and your peers will rag on you if you don't keep up. The union care less about this and is more interested
collecting their dues than supporting and fighting for causes. The staff treat the union accordingly by not going to their meetings that extends back since a bad contract negotiation back in the 90s. All in all this has caused the employees to distrust management , union and staff alike . Back in the 90s upward motivation was possible and made the job nice as you could move to better jobs , But sadly around 2010 the policy stopped and there is a preference to hire from the outside. over top of internal employees.
Overall I felt my job was important and the money and benefits good but do not make this place your life long career. Xmas bonus equals nothing but Xmas supper IF you work Xmas day and if you are required service you will only get every second
 - more...
Excellent management, reasonable millage pay good time to work load ratio allotted for an eight hour shift. Available vacation and sick time when needed
Good hospital, 12 hour shifts, fair breaks.
Good benefits program post probation period, open to casual and full time staff.
Staff were welcoming and friendly
Great place to start your career.
Needs more team building skills.

Great benefits for health and retirement.
Collaborative approach

Great place to work if you like to work independently or as a team.
Pros
I love working with people
Cons
Long hours short staffed
I was often compared to others who have had more experience than I. The supervisor did not understand how to deal with someone with a disability and its seemed like they couldn't comprehend that people won't always match each others speed or skills. Some people need more time with more supports instead of ultimatums and judgements. I also witnessed favouritism.
I also found that ergonomics wasn't as important to my supervisor. I felt like I was rushed when I was setting up the environment for my safety and well being as well as the patient. I had to lower and raise beds for my back which slowed me down a bit and was given a stern talking to regarding my speed. The supervisor was never there to witness any of the SOPs (standard of procedures) of workers including myself. What was said to her in person was how she understood things to be and instead of checking on the situations herself she based her actions on other's words.

On the other hand, the job can be rewarding. Everyday I learned something about the human body and our health care system.
Pros
helping people, working on your own
Cons
Long hours, short breaks
SHA is top heavy with management who do not know the day to day job their employees do. My coworkers were awesome and the pay and benefits are good. If you can get past management that is always changing and the politics of working in a government run organization it’s good...
Pros
Wage and benefit
Cons
Poor management
Best place to work in medical field Saskachewan Health Authority- Saskatoon Health Region.
Give good benefits to employee. Freedom to choose your chosen carreer and can work independently.
Saskatoon Health Region is a good place to work providing job security and plenty of room for advancement.
With a gym in the work place it makes that much better especially in winter time
Pros
Low gym fee for a small gym area
Great Job/ Life Balance
Great Benefits
Great Management
Safety First

Lots of room for improvement

Great Work Culture

Great team of people to work with
Staff were so nice and so fun to work with. I like working there because of the benefits and the managing department listens to their staff. Complete equipments to help the staff with. their job.
A very friendly and fair place to work. people of all types are treated well and fairly. Parking can be tough, worse in the winter. union environment with 3 unions
Pros
benefitsand pension
Cons
tough getting permanent full time
Quick to terminate for unjust reasons. Difficult to communicate when dealing with a tough matter. Managers tend to be generally supportive of stuff and stuff are amazing.
Pros
Benefits, staff, wage
Cons
False sense of job security
The people are friendly and nice they will also help you to grow and learn the work responsibilities well. Meeting people in the healthcare field is fun and working n the field in afast pace workplace is perfect .
Pros
lary and benefits
Cons
i cant think of any
Average paid. union-ed environment. Good job security , but do not have too much room to advance. Home everyday, 8-12 hours/day.Hard to find parking for employee.
I've worked at St. Paul's Hospital on 5th Med for quite a while. I had to get out really quick. You will never feel welcome and you can only pick a few staff that are genuinely nice. The nurse educator is really intimidating. You'll be scared if you're a colored person.
Pros
High salary and nice benefits
Cons
Discrimination is rampant
Worked as an intern with the Saskatoon Health Region's 'Oral Health Department'
Worked with a very dedicated team of oral health nurses doing their work diligently on the field across the health region.

Very disciplined work culture, very motivated in achieving goals.
Pros
Generic benifits working with government health organisations
Cons
No comments