Saskatchewan Health Authority

Clear
3.9Pay & benefits

authorityregionunionhealthhospitalnursestaffcare

work work work

Days are busy which go by fast.. Managers do not know what front line staff do. low moral as there is not enough staff. Too top heavy. Good benefits, okay pay.

Great management

Really for their employees, secure job with many opportunities to build up. The pay is great with awesome benefits. They really care about their staff

Pros

Great pay

Insights into Saskatchewan Health Authority

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Fair pay for job
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Good place to work for the most part

Good place to work with good benefits. I have always worked with great coworkers and had good managers. They do have horrible parking options for staff members and you will have to wait years until you get a spot, unless you are a doctor or nurse, they get priority.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Horrible parking options for staff and can be stressful environments dealing with patients

Great job but no security

Worked in the Saskatchewan Health Authority for twelve and a half years. Loves the work I did but there was very little job security. After 12.5 years I still found myself working a part time position as jobs kept getting cut.

Pros

Competitive wages and good benefits

Cons

Poor management and no job security

Horible

union is useless and keeps wages low. there is no room for advancement. if a higher position becomes available they re classify it to a lower pay band.they are constantly threatening to outsource your position.management only cares about making them selves richer.

Pros

Cons

low pay, high work load

Great workplace and excellent people

Contract work, so not stable, but paid well and was not a very taxing job. Worked from home, and while the hours were awkward at times I don't have many complaints. Contract ended earlier than I would have expected, but would definitely work for them again.

Job security is even more questionable since Covid19

SHA has become a business, based on dollar value. It is is not healthcare driven anymore. It’s time to get back to basics of care. Based on care not politics!

Pros

Decent wage

Cons

Poor management = more politics

Decent wages and clean work

A very friendly and fair place to work. people of all types are treated well and fairly. Overall decent place to work with little less payGreat Job/ Life BalanceGreat BenefitsGreat ManagementSafety FirstLots of room for improvementGreat Work CultureGreat team of people to work with

Pros

Great Benefits

Cons

Low pay

great people

I have nothing really bad to say about any of the people that I have worked with, but be very careful of management. coworkers are some of the best people I have ever met in my life. low wages for everyone who isn't either a doctor or a nurse, although I was never a housekeeper, I will say that they deserve an extra few dollars an hour for the ammount of work that they do

Busy environment, good place to learn but system in crisis

RN since 1995, in SK 2001 - present. Very high workload in all RN positions. Managers on some units helpful and supportive.. on others not so much. Senior management is too busy fixing emergencies and dealing with an overloaded system to really care about the frontline staff. There were many problems (short-staffed, not enough beds, growing patient acuity, base hospitals in poor condition/ maintenance) before covid; the pandemic just blew the seams apart. Some units can be a great place to learn and thrive. It's finding one that has supportive unit management and staff that is enabled to help new members integrate and grow. Unit managers now have an attached HR Business Partner that performs some of the functions a manager used to do. This can lead to managers passing off difficult decisions (vacation/ leaves denied, staffing deficiencies not filled, discipline actions) and then passing the blame when staff raise concerns. The business partners are NOT supportive of RNs' concerns in any way. The online staffing system is problematic as well. SHA got rid of all the unit staffing clerks a few years back (Lean had a lot to do with that). In some units staff requests are frequently initially denied due to the 'program' not allowing it. In actuality it's certain managers just not approving requests and then waiting for grievances to accumulate before approving a bunch at once. Again, a way to deflect difficult decisions..... Units with decent managers usually have leave requests approved by the next day. SHAs' centralized management system and use of Lean -

Overworked and underpaid

The salary is ridiculous. The management is a joke. They don’t care about staff at all. They dump extra work on you then get mad if morning rounds isn’t finished quickly when clearly more staff is needed. When people call in sick all the time then others are left scrambling to pick up the slack. Management doesn’t seem to care that staff is buckling under the pressure of having too much to do. And when some staff me members are on accommodations and can’t help out they sit in the back and send the rest of us to go do all the stats all day long. Which makes zero sense and makes for a very long and stressful day. After a hard 8 hour shift you may be hit with mandating with is the supervisor basically forcing you to do another 8 hr shift no doubt because someone called in sick for their shift. This place sucks and is so stressful. I regret ever working there.Not the mention the ton of gossiping. I mean, it is to be expected but it’s so bad! run!

Pros

Not a thing

Cons

Everything!

It really just depends on which area in health you are getting into

Good benefits. Clear work and safety expectations. Tough to get into as an external employee sometimes you just have to approach a manager directly...

Pros

Stability

Cons

Lack of seniority hours inhibit ability to work in areas of choice.

Great place to work. Everyone is supportive to new member of the group. I feel more welcome. I do received also a formal training.

Saskatchewan health authority is the best place to work. Good pay scale. Work is not stressful, we worked together as a team. Everyone is easy to approach whenever you do have a questions. A certain tasks must be observed and follow. They asked questions if someone’s need help. Good benefits and lots of opportunities.

Great place to work to advance ones career or to stay on permanaent and create a life

The hardest part of the job is working with people who are extremely arrogant. You do your job the best you can and hope that at the end of the day it is enough for team leads and management. The best way to describe working there is what I was told my first day working by my Team Lead, she said,' today you can do something great for the department, but tomorrow you can be fired, because management doesn't care if you did great, they say what have you done today.' Kudos don't come. Which makes for a colder workplace.

Pros

Benefits, holidaytime and wages.

Cons

Arrogance and no recognition for accomplishments.

Taking care of seniors

I take care if seniors, they are very special to me. And I enjoy making sure they are ok. Everyday is a new day and everyday is different. I often think about getting higher education to get further.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Get called in lots

Amazing experience

my experience was really good, they are very professional with great management! Pay good, they paid overtime too, great hours!everything is perfect, I learn so many new things during this job!

Pros

gain experience

Cons

no cons

Dealing with residents best part

Having adequate staffing levels would be a plus. Higher wages would also help considerably. Having a full staff every day would be great . Respect for all jobs and workers . Love the benefits and enjoy working with people . Appreciation for what we all do in these environments.

wouldn't recommend

Poor pay, constant contact with biohazards, nasty coworkers, useless management, stressful work conditions, very high workload. I would feel crippled after certain shifts. Would be ok if you could only work outpatients, but when you're constantly running to emerg (which is 1/4km away) it gets very hard on the feet and legs. I don't feel that the pay is worth the hazardous work conditions

Pros

union, vacation pay, pension

Cons

stressful, painful, toxic work environment

Productive and hard working easy to adapt in the work and love to learn any thing

Need more jobs and work for the people give them more chances. Increase salary and give good benifits esp this pandemic. Giving more safety education and ppe to the staff

Great Salary and Benefits

Reviewed and entered data related to all payroll and benefits related work. I learned to use a wide number of software programs, planning and organizing skills, and payroll and scheduling systems. I attained this position with no payroll experience and there was a lot to learn. Other staff were annoyed with all the questions I would ask to help me learn, but I know they were busy themselves. When asking for help from management I was made to feel like an idiot. As if to think, I had as much experience as they did. Other staff members felt the same way towards this manager / supervisor. Work culture was fast paced but most people were kind and cheerful. The hardest part of the job was how much there was to learn on your own. I enjoyed payroll and helping employees find mistakes in their pay.

Pros

Salary, benefits, solving issues

Cons

No management support, learning on your own

You feel secured when you work in Saskatchewan health authority

It’s easy to start working in food service especially if you have background in working fast food service.If you also enjoy taking care of your parents and grandparents this is a working environment that you will love seeing old people on their late ages. The Saskatchewan health authority also give right benefits for their employees like medical and insurance benefits.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Fast facing job, mostly physical

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Saskatchewan Health Authority. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement