Saskatchewan Health Authority

Saskatchewan Health Authority Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

Registered Nurse11 reviews
Canada11 reviews

authorityregionunionhealthhospitalnursestaffcare

Great job but no security

Worked in the Saskatchewan Health Authority for twelve and a half years. Loves the work I did but there was very little job security. After 12.5 years I still found myself working a part time position as jobs kept getting cut.

Pros

Competitive wages and good benefits

Cons

Poor management and no job security

Busy environment, good place to learn but system in crisis

RN since 1995, in SK 2001 - present. Very high workload in all RN positions. Managers on some units helpful and supportive.. on others not so much. Senior management is too busy fixing emergencies and dealing with an overloaded system to really care about the frontline staff. There were many problems (short-staffed, not enough beds, growing patient acuity, base hospitals in poor condition/ maintenance) before covid; the pandemic just blew the seams apart. Some units can be a great place to learn and thrive. It's finding one that has supportive unit management and staff that is enabled to help new members integrate and grow. Unit managers now have an attached HR Business Partner that performs some of the functions a manager used to do. This can lead to managers passing off difficult decisions (vacation/ leaves denied, staffing deficiencies not filled, discipline actions) and then passing the blame when staff raise concerns. The business partners are NOT supportive of RNs' concerns in any way. The online staffing system is problematic as well. SHA got rid of all the unit staffing clerks a few years back (Lean had a lot to do with that). In some units staff requests are frequently initially denied due to the 'program' not allowing it. In actuality it's certain managers just not approving requests and then waiting for grievances to accumulate before approving a bunch at once. Again, a way to deflect difficult decisions..... Units with decent managers usually have leave requests approved by the next day. SHAs' centralized management system and use of Lean -

Insights into Saskatchewan Health Authority

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Fair pay for job
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

The hardest part of my job is under staffing with heavy patients and risk of injury

Iam a pleasant and motivated nurse with varied experience in healthcare. I enjoy caring for seniors and getting to know them and understand their needs. The work can be heavy at times as under staffing would be the cause and location of care home is not always suitable for others to get to work there. I learned team work and communication is key to proper patient care.

was a relaxed place to work

All staff and managers were easy to communicate with and helpful. i liked the multidisciplinary approach. i liked the Independence of the job. i liked the professional courtesy of all staff and clients. i would recommend anyone to work for this company.

Excellent benefits program, available to all staff, not just line staff.

Good hospital, 12 hour shifts, fair breaks. Good benefits program post probation period, open to casual and full time staff. Staff were welcoming and friendly

Extended probation without giving reasons; believed staff when falsely accused.

Some of the staff members, behind my back, created a stack of incidents against me while I was on probation. No one spoke to me about any of the complaints. First HR told me my probation was extended but refused to explain why. Then I was called to a meeting with HR and a new manager (who had never even introduced herself to me), and shown the incidents against me. When I asked why no one spoke to be about the complaints, the HR rep said, "We were of the understanding that they did." End of conversation. They had no intention of hearing what I had to say. One person even got 18 incidents written up for one 8 hour shift! Who makes that many mistakes? I was forced to resign or be terminated and my license put in question with SRNA.

Pros

Small facility fairly well staffed

Cons

Some staff (including the union rep) are phoney.

Needs more staff, more management with experience

Great place to start your career. Needs more team building skills. Great benefits for health and retirement. Collaborative approach Great place to work if you like to work independently or as a team.

Pros

I love working with people

Cons

Long hours short staffed

Long term employee discarded

Quick to terminate for unjust reasons. Difficult to communicate when dealing with a tough matter. Managers tend to be generally supportive of stuff and stuff are amazing.

Pros

Benefits, staff, wage

Cons

False sense of job security

Fast Paced Environment

Faced paced hospital environment with lots of learning opportunities being a teaching hospital. Lots of communication and collaboration with many interprofessional teams in coordinating care for patients.

Increasing number of racist and discriminatory staff

I've worked at St. Paul's Hospital on 5th Med for quite a while. I had to get out really quick. You will never feel welcome and you can only pick a few staff that are genuinely nice. The nurse educator is really intimidating. You'll be scared if you're a colored person.

Pros

High salary and nice benefits

Cons

Discrimination is rampant

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Saskatchewan Health Authority?

Good teamwork, management supportive, excellent learning opportunities

SPH ICU is a collaborative, stimulating, positive work environment. Evidence based practice and family participation is encouraged and supported. High standards of care are maintained as we work together to support patients and their families through difficult and stressful times towards best possible outcomes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Saskatchewan Health Authority. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement