Saskatchewan Health Authority

Saskatchewan Health Authority Employee Reviews for Licensed Practical Nurse

Great place to work. I have learned a lot while working in this health region. I have worked in numerous facilities and have enjoyed them all. I love helping people and that makes what I do so fantastic.
I have worked for the Sask Health Authority going on 19 years. I am currently at Sask hospital and I love everything about it. The only area which may lack a little is stafgimg bit please keep in kind it is brand new and required a large staff capacity. At times days off are hard to acquire but worth more time I believe this will be resolved.
Love my job as an LPN with Saskatchewan Health Authority! Great opportunity and great learning! Would like to get back in the work force with this company!
Lot's of beautiful posters talking about how much care about staff but in my opinion it's punitive, regressive, top-down, unappreciative, unsafe, not evidenced-based, and overall toxic. One of the worst nursing environments I've worked in. To add insult to injury the extended care program started drop-down rotating rosters. Expected to work all lines: days, evenings, nights switching every three weeks. There is little respect for work-life balance or the other life commitments staff have: children, other businesses, etc. Working relief is hard for most since have to be available to be pre-booked every 72 hrs. To get approved for leaves, vacations, etc is challenging and often leads to conflict. Resistant to accommodate disabled staff. Promotes staff conflict by not dealing with issues at the lowest level and encouraging staff to write each other up. I do not feel they adhere to most of their Accreditation Standards. They have written policies but most managers do not follow them. The ones that try to be progressive usually leave. I went through 7 managers in about 10 yrs. The turnover is very high. They often do not replace staff even though workloads are high with normal staffing levels. Workplace injuries are high as is the amount of violence that management do not deal with and most often blame staff for their approach. The training is ineffective. Many staff complain about reprisal for reporting health and safety concerns. The Occupational Health Committee does not address most incidents. I could write a lot more. The only positive I can think of it's in the Wascana Park - more...
Pros
in the park.
Cons
too many to count. see review
Needs help. There's needs to be significant change here, it is not client centered care. Not sure amalgamation helped or not yet. There needs to be more focus on employee happiness
Productive workplace. Positive environment to help improve the lives of many people. Enjoy helping people get better and achieve their full potential.
The shift started at 0730. First we would begin by organizing client charts so we knew who we had to see that day. Then we would grab all the supplies we needed for the day and leave the office to go see our first client. In a day we would see anywhere from 5-12 people depending on length of visit. At the end of the shift we would go back to the office to finish charting and drop the charts off to the evening staff. Management was not very organized and there was a hierarchy between the RN,s and LPN,s which at times was not very fun to be at work
Pros
can go to personal appointments during work time if needed
Cons
management
being a nurse requires you to think outside the box, it also shows you how to be compassionate and understanding. A nurse has a lot of experience working with a wide variety of cultures and backgrounds, which gives us insight into what people struggle with and succeed in. Hardest part of the job is to not take the job/day home with you, finding coping mechanisms and distressing techniques.
Jobs at Saskatchewan Health Authority