Sargent & Lundy Employee Reviews

S&L - Nuclear
Mechanical Design Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DE6 June 2018
S&L is a great company to work for with good management and good pay. However, working specifically in the Nuclear industry is slow-moving and frustrating.
Promotions are based on how well you suck up
Project Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL16 May 2018
Great benefits, however unless you are willing to sacrifice your home life, you will never move up. Far too much internal political conflict, upper management gives the illusion they care.
Pros
Benefits, pay, location
Cons
politics and lies
Excellent learning environment
Associate II T-Line Engineer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ14 May 2018
Awesome place to start as entry level.
committed to helping employees grow throughout their careers.
Owned and run by engineers, staff comes from hundreds of colleges, universities, and technical schools worldwide, bringing diverse talent, skills, and thought.
Large company, easily lost in the masses
Structural Associate III (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL25 April 2018
Never really seems like anyone really knew you or your workload. If you're asked to go into the field it's a great experience; however, when you return it will seem like you were forgotten as an employee during your "absence."
Pros
Lots of older engineers to learn from
Cons
No work life balance, promotions are time based, not performance based (mostly)
A Place to Work
N/A (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL10 April 2018
The management planning and communication with staff is very poor. Promotions are based on who you know and not the quantity and quality of work you do.
A Job
ELECTRICAL & CONTROLS WIRING DESIGNER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL9 April 2018
Poor management planning and communication between the management and the staff. Promotions are based on knowing the right people and not on the quality of work and accomplishments.
Excellent Company
Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL5 April 2018
My work is interesting, challenging, and rewarding, and the people I work with are great. I strive to impress them, so I push myself to continually improve the quality of my deliverables. There is always something to new learn, something new to work on, and my skills are continuously changing. I'm recognized for my contributions and appreciated for my achievements. Because of this, I have great job satisfaction and look forward to coming to the office each day.
Pros
Fantastic benefits, industry leading 401(k) plan, flexibility, great location
Cons
IBM Notes, lack of regular manager training for engineers, office amenities need updating
Nuclear Industry
Engineering Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL5 April 2018
The company had several projects which resulted in the employment of many engineers. However, the accident of the 3-mile Island resulted in the decline of the industry.
Solid Company to Work for, so long as there is work
Nuclear Piping Engineer (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, IL20 March 2018
I don't have any complaints about Sargent and Lundy other than when we ran low on work as a company, we were left to fend for ourselves. I started looking for work elsewhere once I had to start taking my vacation days since there was no work for me to do at the office. When there is work to do (and a charge number to charge your time to), this is a great place to work. Unfortunately, you are at the mercy of your clientele.
Great Employees and Learning Opportunities
Associate Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL12 March 2018
I came to S&L with experience, but I wish I had come here out of college. I got plenty of design experience on a variety of projects. The employees are friendly, some are standoffish but nice once you get to know them. It’s mostly engineers so that’s expected. The monthly Community of Practice meetings were great for meeting other employees and sharing knowledge. I worked remotely, but I left because there was no advancement opportunities unless I was willing to relocate to Chicago. I would go back if given the opportunity.
Pros
Very Organized, Great Learning Experiences, Social Networking, Nice Offices, Good Location
Cons
Can be a masculine environment with good ‘ol boy tendencies
Nice people to work with
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL14 February 2018
consulting company with cycles of heavy and light work. nice company to work for and nice people. Workload changes quite a lot over time and one should be ready for heavy workload as well as layoffs.
Pros
nice company
Cons
workload up and down
Good company
Structural Designer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL13 February 2018
Design of steel structure and concrete structures for power plant brownfield and greenfield projects. FEA used were Staad pro, safe, micro station and naviswork.
Great Job with good benefits
Associate (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN30 January 2018
It's a great place to learn and grow in the engineering industry. It is stressful sometimes, but relaxing others. The management can be hard to deal with sometimes, but for the most part they just try and get the jobs out.
Pros
vacation, pay
Cons
stress
Stressful environment.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DE26 January 2018
Can be difficult to work in this office. Need to convince the client how valuable S&L can be over the competition. Keep employees informed better about future business opportunities.
Average Company Stuck in the Past
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL22 January 2018
In a rapidly declining fossil fuel market, Sargent & Lundy is too used to their old ways to diversify their business and hedge their future. There is a company culture of quelling young talent to keep the aging and inefficient engineers in power.

Pay and bonuses are not based on performance which allows for a large percentage of employees to "punch the clock" every day at work with very few actual productive hours. This leads to a significant difference in work product and resentment between the intelligent, hard working engineers and the slackers. Engineers and project managers who have proven that they cannot complete a project under budget are given chance after chance while their unsuccessful projects eat in to the bonuses of successful employees and hurt the company's reputation.

All of the good leads, project managers, and project directors are so overworked that you can watch the happiness drain from their bodies after every successive "promotion" (aka more responsibility with the same pay). I find that a good way to evaluate your company is to look at your boss or your boss's boss and ask yourself, "Do I want to be in that position one day?" In my opinion, the pay is not worth the unhappiness that I see on all of our Manager's and Director's faces day after day around the office. It is very hard to walk around our office and find someone who is happy.

In the last 4 years, I have watched half of our business group and most of the good young engineers leave the company for better pay and better positions. The fossil business group has lost over 100 of their
  more... employees while our competition is hiring them and growing their business. Every person I talk to here is looking for another job at the moment. Sargent & Lundy refuses to hire experienced engineers and project managers from different industries to grow their company into new markets. The lack of diversification, creativity, and foresight at the top of the organization could be the downfall of this company.

Project directors / VP's are promoted from within which sounds great but does not work in practice. You do well as a detail oriented engineer sitting alone at your desk doing complex system calculations you are moved up to lead then maybe project manager. Now, you need to be great at a whole new skill set: managing teams of people, budgets, schedules, and communicating clearly with clients. That's where most people usually quit or plateau in the company. If you succeed as a project manager you may get the opportunity to be a project director / VP after 25 or so years where now you must learn a third skill set: business development. This is where the Peter Principle really sets in. Most great engineers are horrible at developing business because they have spent their whole career engineering things not cultivating business relationships. This is the fatal flaw in the career path at Sargent & Lundy. Project directors are so busy traveling 4 days a week trying to drum up business they do not have any time to direct their projects. This leads to bad projects snowballing into huge losses for the company. The company needs to hire dedicated business development individuals to grow into new territories and markets.

My advice to upper management: Promote your young, hard working, intelligent engineers and pay them based on their performance so they do not leave, they could be the future of your company. If these individuals are instrumental to the success of a profitable project why should the VP's be the only ones who reap the benefits? The only way to correct this path is to replace the old with the new and usher in a younger generation of engineers who can breath life into this archaic company.
Productive environment
Document Management System Records Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL19 January 2018
The environment was productive and very fast paced. The role of document control records manager had a lot of repetitive work. The office environment was a nice group of people who supported each other.
Pros
Free luncheons
Great Company
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL15 January 2018
The people I work with are top notch. Our management cares about the future of the company and is investing in people and programs to make us more efficient. Management also encourages responsibility personal accountability.
Pros
company activities, training, free lunches
Cons
Lotus Notes
Very Good Place to Work
Project Associate 2 (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, IL11 January 2018
As a part-time employee, I worked approx. 1600 hours per year. I did receive Health Care and about a week of PTO, but no other benefits. The work was stimulating, but never stressful. I was able to work remotely from my home a majority of the time. The management is fair and open. As a part-time employee, my job security was low, and I had no areas for advancement. Overall, it is a good company to work for, especially if you are a full time direct employee.
Good company
Senior Associate Engineer (Former Employee) –  sr. Project engineer21 December 2017
They provided competitive work assignment and they would listen to your suggestion and tried their best to make you important and they noticed you. The only issue that I saw was traveling to customers site that you could not charge.
Pros
They provided competitive work assignment
It can be bittersweet...
Computer Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL6 November 2017
The people really make Sargent and Lundy worth working at. You can make some really good friends participating in/on one of the many teams/events at S & L. But office politics can (and sometimes does) ruin the work experience. There is little chance, upon you having a suggestion on how to improve an existing procedure, that it will be taken into serious consideration especially if you are a subordinate. Work procedures are near of set in stone. That having been said, many of the employees have been with the company for decades so you'd almost never have to worry about job security. All and all, it's a pretty good place to work.
Pros
relatively good job security, good work life balance
Cons
not really open to change, office politics

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sargent & Lundy. Our community is ready to answer.