Sargent & Lundy Employee Reviews

I loved S&L
Senior Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL21 March 2019
Sargent & Lundy was the best company I have ever worked. Management was excellent, people were recognized for doing a good job, living in downtown Chicago was fantastic!
Pros
Great Management
Exciting place to work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN27 February 2019
Sargent & Lundy was an awesome place to work. The Power Delivery Group taught me so much about human error prevention and the way we get our electricity. It was nice learning something new.
High Turnover, low pay, and stressful
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN17 January 2019
Don't work here unless you are ready to sacrifice your pay increases for the foreseeable future with the potential of being let go when management feels they would rather pretend to work on getting new clients than get some.
I worked for S&L decades ago and barely remember it.
Stress Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL6 January 2019
Sargent and Lundy were very involved in the nuclear power plant design industry back in the 1980s when there was a nuclear plant design work being performed. That was a long time ago.
It is a reasonable place to work
Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL1 January 2019
I recall that we worked in teams. It was good; I wished there were more autonomy given to individual employees. I adapted and worked well with other employees to the best of my ability.
Competitive salary and benefits
Designer2 (Former Employee) –  55 EAST MONROE ST. , CHICAGO, ILLINOIS4 December 2018
It is a place where you are paid well .With insurance benefits paid vacation and sick leave. Provides training to its employees to improve skills. Provide opportunities to advance professionally. Plenty of people to assist you whenever you need technical help. To sum up, it is a good place to work as evidenced by people who had spent whole of their lives working with the company, some worked as long as 40 years and some even return after their retirement.
Good place to work, however, there is some favoritism issues.
Administrative Professional (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL27 November 2018
Sargent and Lundy is a good place to work. Management in my department tends to micromanage which can get in the way of creativity.

The place is conservative.
Not a place I'd recommend working
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL26 November 2018
The office was beautiful and the view was amazing! What I was hired to do and what I was doing were two completely different things. Most enjoyable thing about my job was a few people I met.
Pros
Some people I met
Cons
Waste of my time
Great Company
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL23 October 2018
Great company that's had a lot of positive changes recently, particularly in the Power Delivery group. There have been new clients, new offices, new technologies, and managers that have shifted styles and now do a better job at coaching, training, and developing the people on their teams. A number of employees who left within the past 5 years have also returned after discovering that the grass wasn't greener.
Pros
Variety of work, training, great coworkers, flexibility, opportunity for advancement
Cons
Office amenities
Great Company
Nuclear Plant Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL24 September 2018
Left because of reduction in force, but working there was amazing. The group I was with was always striving for perfection and continuously pushing the limits of the collective body of knowledge.
N/a
Discipline Professional (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DE11 September 2018
Senior management needs thorough training in how to speak and respect individuals whom they deem "beneath them",

Some managers are excellent and fun to work with, but you're lucky if you get to work with them.
Pros
Excellent Boss
Cons
poor managers
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL12 August 2018
I worked very closely with the Senior Engineers of Sargent & Lundy to prepare and execute tasks everyday to assist in the success of our team and company.
Hard working, down to earth
Marketing Coordinator and Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL20 June 2018
Hard working, down to earth but a bit doggedness in its approach to new ideas. Not much positive interaction between people as the halls are policed by a weird patrol that monitors employees--so creative exchange is dampened.
S&L - Nuclear
Mechanical Design Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DE6 June 2018
S&L is a great company to work for with good management and good pay. However, working specifically in the Nuclear industry is slow-moving and frustrating.
Promotions are based on how well you suck up
Project Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL16 May 2018
Great benefits, however unless you are willing to sacrifice your home life, you will never move up. Far too much internal political conflict, upper management gives the illusion they care.
Pros
Benefits, pay, location
Cons
politics and lies
Excellent learning environment
Associate II T-Line Engineer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ14 May 2018
Awesome place to start as entry level.
committed to helping employees grow throughout their careers.
Owned and run by engineers, staff comes from hundreds of colleges, universities, and technical schools worldwide, bringing diverse talent, skills, and thought.
Large company, easily lost in the masses
Structural Associate III (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL25 April 2018
Never really seems like anyone really knew you or your workload. If you're asked to go into the field it's a great experience; however, when you return it will seem like you were forgotten as an employee during your "absence."
Pros
Lots of older engineers to learn from
Cons
No work life balance, promotions are time based, not performance based (mostly)
A Place to Work
N/A (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL10 April 2018
The management planning and communication with staff is very poor. Promotions are based on who you know and not the quantity and quality of work you do.
A Job
ELECTRICAL & CONTROLS WIRING DESIGNER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL9 April 2018
Poor management planning and communication between the management and the staff. Promotions are based on knowing the right people and not on the quality of work and accomplishments.
Excellent Company
Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL5 April 2018
My work is interesting, challenging, and rewarding, and the people I work with are great. I strive to impress them, so I push myself to continually improve the quality of my deliverables. There is always something to new learn, something new to work on, and my skills are continuously changing. I'm recognized for my contributions and appreciated for my achievements. Because of this, I have great job satisfaction and look forward to coming to the office each day.
Pros
Fantastic benefits, industry leading 401(k) plan, flexibility, great location
Cons
IBM Notes, lack of regular manager training for engineers, office amenities need updating

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sargent & Lundy. Our community is ready to answer.