Sargent & Lundy Employee Reviews

Good place to work, however, there is some favoritism issues.
Administrative Professional (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL27 November 2018
Sargent and Lundy is a good place to work. Management in my department tends to micromanage which can get in the way of creativity.

The place is conservative.
Not a place I'd recommend working
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL26 November 2018
The office was beautiful and the view was amazing! What I was hired to do and what I was doing were two completely different things. Most enjoyable thing about my job was a few people I met.
Pros
Some people I met
Cons
Waste of my time
Great Company
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL23 October 2018
Great company that's had a lot of positive changes recently, particularly in the Power Delivery group. There have been new clients, new offices, new technologies, and managers that have shifted styles and now do a better job at coaching, training, and developing the people on their teams. A number of employees who left within the past 5 years have also returned after discovering that the grass wasn't greener.
Pros
Variety of work, training, great coworkers, flexibility, opportunity for advancement
Cons
Office amenities
Great Company
Nuclear Plant Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL24 September 2018
Left because of reduction in force, but working there was amazing. The group I was with was always striving for perfection and continuously pushing the limits of the collective body of knowledge.
N/a
Discipline Professional (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DE11 September 2018
Senior management needs thorough training in how to speak and respect individuals whom they deem "beneath them",

Some managers are excellent and fun to work with, but you're lucky if you get to work with them.
Pros
Excellent Boss
Cons
poor managers
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL12 August 2018
I worked very closely with the Senior Engineers of Sargent & Lundy to prepare and execute tasks everyday to assist in the success of our team and company.
Hard working, down to earth
Marketing Coordinator and Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL20 June 2018
Hard working, down to earth but a bit doggedness in its approach to new ideas. Not much positive interaction between people as the halls are policed by a weird patrol that monitors employees--so creative exchange is dampened.
S&L - Nuclear
Mechanical Design Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DE6 June 2018
S&L is a great company to work for with good management and good pay. However, working specifically in the Nuclear industry is slow-moving and frustrating.
Promotions are based on how well you suck up
Project Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL16 May 2018
Great benefits, however unless you are willing to sacrifice your home life, you will never move up. Far too much internal political conflict, upper management gives the illusion they care.
Pros
Benefits, pay, location
Cons
politics and lies
Excellent learning environment
Associate II T-Line Engineer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ14 May 2018
Awesome place to start as entry level.
committed to helping employees grow throughout their careers.
Owned and run by engineers, staff comes from hundreds of colleges, universities, and technical schools worldwide, bringing diverse talent, skills, and thought.
Large company, easily lost in the masses
Structural Associate III (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL25 April 2018
Never really seems like anyone really knew you or your workload. If you're asked to go into the field it's a great experience; however, when you return it will seem like you were forgotten as an employee during your "absence."
Pros
Lots of older engineers to learn from
Cons
No work life balance, promotions are time based, not performance based (mostly)
A Place to Work
N/A (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL10 April 2018
The management planning and communication with staff is very poor. Promotions are based on who you know and not the quantity and quality of work you do.
A Job
ELECTRICAL & CONTROLS WIRING DESIGNER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL9 April 2018
Poor management planning and communication between the management and the staff. Promotions are based on knowing the right people and not on the quality of work and accomplishments.
Excellent Company
Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL5 April 2018
My work is interesting, challenging, and rewarding, and the people I work with are great. I strive to impress them, so I push myself to continually improve the quality of my deliverables. There is always something to new learn, something new to work on, and my skills are continuously changing. I'm recognized for my contributions and appreciated for my achievements. Because of this, I have great job satisfaction and look forward to coming to the office each day.
Pros
Fantastic benefits, industry leading 401(k) plan, flexibility, great location
Cons
IBM Notes, lack of regular manager training for engineers, office amenities need updating
Nuclear Industry
Engineering Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL5 April 2018
The company had several projects which resulted in the employment of many engineers. However, the accident of the 3-mile Island resulted in the decline of the industry.
Solid Company to Work for, so long as there is work
Nuclear Piping Engineer (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, IL20 March 2018
I don't have any complaints about Sargent and Lundy other than when we ran low on work as a company, we were left to fend for ourselves. I started looking for work elsewhere once I had to start taking my vacation days since there was no work for me to do at the office. When there is work to do (and a charge number to charge your time to), this is a great place to work. Unfortunately, you are at the mercy of your clientele.
Great Employees and Learning Opportunities
Associate Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL12 March 2018
I came to S&L with experience, but I wish I had come here out of college. I got plenty of design experience on a variety of projects. The employees are friendly, some are standoffish but nice once you get to know them. It’s mostly engineers so that’s expected. The monthly Community of Practice meetings were great for meeting other employees and sharing knowledge. I worked remotely, but I left because there was no advancement opportunities unless I was willing to relocate to Chicago. I would go back if given the opportunity.
Pros
Very Organized, Great Learning Experiences, Social Networking, Nice Offices, Good Location
Cons
Can be a masculine environment with good ‘ol boy tendencies
Nice people to work with
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL14 February 2018
consulting company with cycles of heavy and light work. nice company to work for and nice people. Workload changes quite a lot over time and one should be ready for heavy workload as well as layoffs.
Pros
nice company
Cons
workload up and down
Good company
Structural Designer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL13 February 2018
Design of steel structure and concrete structures for power plant brownfield and greenfield projects. FEA used were Staad pro, safe, micro station and naviswork.
Great Job with good benefits
Associate (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN30 January 2018
It's a great place to learn and grow in the engineering industry. It is stressful sometimes, but relaxing others. The management can be hard to deal with sometimes, but for the most part they just try and get the jobs out.
Pros
vacation, pay
Cons
stress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sargent & Lundy. Our community is ready to answer.