Sandman Hotel Group
Happiness score is 65 out of 100

Sandman Hotel Group Employee Reviews

A great experience. A nice place to work with very good mangers and co workers. This hotel also provide you bonus and pay the salary at time. A very good place to learn something.
Was laid off from my job due to Covid 19...in March. I was never called back , (I was a housekeeper for almost 5 years), and was told they no longer had my housekeeping position due to " restructuring of the company", but get this...they hired a cleaning company. Like seriously. Something wrong there. Very stress full and difficult place to work, the company doesn't seem to care about their employees...not a very friendly environment and not at all supportive, they care more about the guests than they do about their staff... hard work, short staffed, not even a thank you at the end of the day for the hard work that you do. Years ago it used to be a fun place to work. Not anymore. It is not a very healthy place to work, maybe if they treated their staff with more respect, and showed their appreciation to their staff for all the hard work that they do, the staff might even enjoy working there.
Pros
every once in awhile we would have pizza day for lunch
Cons
very stressfull, hard work, too many rooms to clean on some days up to 23 rooms, working by yourself, not much help from the GM or Head Office.
Just a difficult place to work Bully mentality Very cliquy ppl Aggressive staffNot a friendly environment and not supportive To many people telling others what to do
I wasn't unhappy with my job until I caught a cold and was sent home for 14 days due to covid out break. I never had the symptoms. I was let go a week into my leave due to "Economic" reasons and was never called back even for another position that was suitable .
Pros
Good work team
Cons
Got dismissed because of covid and never got a call back even for another position
All housekeeping Attendants work very hard, rooms are very clean. Everyone nice and friendly. Guests always satisfactions. This hotel was always busy, before Covid-19.
Pros
Salary starts increase after 1 year
i work night shift at this hotel. mostly quiet working in nights. everyday new experience handling different type of guest. i do night audit for this company. i have to balance all day transaction and need to close all accounts.
Pros
Discount 30%
Cons
n.a
Great management, lots of opportunities to grow. Very multicultural. Great benefits, good place to work. Canadian company lots of locations in most provinces.
GM/Regional Manager micro manages everything and everyone. This type of leadership does not allow one to grow in their role or with the company. She tends to play God with your future. She is outstanding in Operations, but a terrible people manager. The culture supports this bullying type of management style. The hotel has huge turnover. The Sandman brand has many positives. They need to be more progressive in changing their iron fist management style. It's time to retire the dragon lady!
Pros
The Canadian company brand
Cons
The old fashion management style
It’s hard but challenging because you have to lift the table and chair but I learned on that job because you Have to think your own strategy to how your work gets easy
Sandman is just an ok place to work at. I was the night auditor and the only staff on site from 11pm to 7:30am. It was stressful when there were teams staying at the hotel. The manager who took over in the morning was always late and blamed it on traffic ALL the time. There was no security so if a sketchy person came in, it was up to you and the non-emergency police line.
Pros
Nothing i can think of
Cons
No security.
I busted my but working for these people for three and a half years and was paid only minimum wage the same amount of money as somebody with no experience even though I had 10 years of experience. I'm a very fast paced individual so I cleaned double what other people cleaned. The place is a joke
I had my first experience as a manager and learnt how to supervise a team of Guest Service Agents. With management I also developed leadership skills.
You need to work hard and exceed all expectations and then pay off will come to you. It is not an 8 hour job or position and lots of hard work need to be put in.
Great Experience. Good Management. Good work environment. Great Manager and staffs. Friendly and safe environment to work. Was a learning experience and so proud.
I'm working as a night auditor at the Sandman Hotel in British Columbia. Every person who is working with me, especially my general manager are really helpful and supportive.
it was a great place to work. As a banquet server there are numerous events you work where you learn something new each time. The staff were quite nice and worked together greatly
Good management, fun people, great experiences. Hour's go by quickly while there is lots of time for growth and reflection on your shifts. Things that you can improve on. Only con: Inconsistent schedule.
Staff is amazing , job is fast passed and stressful and feels like alot of pressure somedays. Management don't know how to appreciate there staff and take you for granted. There is a serious dis connect with employees. Lack of communication and not paid for over time
I have bad knees and when I had to do the washrooms in the rooms, there was no broom to use, they told me I had to use a rag an spray bottle to sweep and mop the bathroom floors on my hands a knees. Terrible and rude staff members that were horrible at training.
Overall, I don't like filling this information but there is a minimum of 150 characters worth of explanation. Just check it out. You wouldn't know until you try.
Training was very difficult as the managers are overwhelmed and overworked themselves. No communication between shifts, way too many responsibilities for the pay offered and no clear directions or responsibility taken from management.