Sandman Hotel Group

Sandman Hotel Group Employee Reviews

Canada183 reviews

Insights into Sandman Hotel Group

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

not bad, could be better

management are good people but the environment and structure is all over the place. Certain things make sense whilst other things don’t. everyone kind of swimming for themselves

Pretty good place

Most departments meet face-to-face and via video calls. The company is always ordering food and the benefits and other perks are good (fitness reimbursement, travel reimbursement)

Pros

free lunches

Cons

Run away from all the Deceit in this company, a total dead end job

Sure all the lies sound good in the hiring phase and after your hired , the management will take advantage of you to the max. Terrible work moral, most all staff back stab and talk behind everyone's back. You will be promised raises and asked to do more work and give up more of your personal time , just to find out , its nothing more than lies. Most ignorant,and self centred management I ever worked for.

Pros

You get to learn how to clean up human feces, and how to pick up used needles.

Cons

This gets routine on a daily basis.

Lots of opportunity for advancement & growth. Lots of teamwork to achieve common goals.

The company is constantly evolving and very focused on growth and teamwork. Lots of appreciation for hard work, engagement and commitment. I personally have grown into progressive positions and have found it very rewarding to be part of the growth and evolution over several decades and look forward to continuing to be part of this corporate team. I also love being part of a 100% Canadian owned and operated company.

Fun place to work

Very relaxed and laid back. Management is good but I think pay is not enough. Also not much of opportunities but always fun to talk to guest and learn

I used to work at the Squmish B.C. location and i love it

I used to work at the Squmish B.C. location and i love it and I wish that i never left. B.C.and I wish that i never left. There to move back to Hamilton. Ont

Pros

Great people and great pay and hours

Cons

Not enough rooms for me to clean

Long hours, fast paced environment, low pay

Long hours, fast paced, low pay. Found it difficult to manage home life and work life balance. Is physically demanding. There is a high turnover rate.

Don't expect the wages you're thinking

Short version: will offer pay rate of X then once you are there to start and turn away others they give you a new lower offer. The environment where I worked great, flexible people however poor managment ploys. My main reason to write this is I was offered a job at X rate. Fast forward a few days of me turning down other offers and getting there for my start day and I get the "we can actually only pay you this (less) instead". I then found out somebody else got hired the same way. Needless to say i applied again and was gone a month later, All of this took place about 18months ago. I decided to post this after a friend where I live now applied to a new location and had the exact same thing happen to them so I assume this is common practice now.

Flexible/ Awesome team

Sandman signature kamloops was the most homely work place I have worked in. They have a great supportive team in the housekeeping department. The executive housekeeper is a the best person I have ever worked with.

Pros

Flexible schedule/ great benefits/ supportive team

Frequent change of management

Not a good company to work for. Minimum pay and maximum work. Managers change quickly. No job security. Raises occur yearly but in pennies. There is scope of advancement but not too much.

good company for start

for some people transferring to different position is easy and flexible. They tend to keep staff who has bad behaviour and is not collaborative with team.

Pros

properties in easy & accessible locations

Cons

short of staff

Great Company

Great Canadian company to work for with and Great Mangement structure and competitive pay scales. I love how each manager is supported and knowledgeable in thier field and are experts

Pros

Discounts at many Northland Properties brands, People, Environment/Culture

Cons

Outdated Systems e.g payroll Construction years on end

I loved my job, but management are terrible

Most toxic environment I ever worked, very stressful workplace. Managers treat you terrible and get away with it. No consequences when your management.

Not much room to grow, but very supportive team with relaxed work environment

I worked here for 2+ years. The team is great but unfortunately the wage is too low. But they have pretty decent benefits. Location is pretty strategic. Hopefully in the future they can raise the salary

It's ok, it's just a job

there are many other hotels with better salaries, they try to pay the bear minimum, and always talking about empty promises of growing with the company, there might be 2 or 3 people that grew with the company, but that it is.

Pros

just a job, easy to get

Cons

salary

If the listing has no advertised wage, it is minimum.

I had no dialogue with my manager regarding what my wage would be, and was only "awarded" a wage by the time paperwork was signed and I was on the clock. Truly scummy hiring practice. Woefully inadequate training materials. Provided checklist actually prevents you from completing your core job tasks if followed, and nobody in management seems interested in correcting these inadequacies and would rather fix the resulting mistakes as they come up.The perfect job for someone who likes to spend time on the phone with 911 while being paid as little as the law will allow.

Pros

1-3 hrs downtime per night

Cons

Frequent police calls and incidents, low pay

Very good compane I am try to make this job please select from my family and life.

Nice company and very good deceplean. my life seat in canada and this company.job very important.l promise time to time works.and very fast works.please select this jobThanks for this company.

If looking for a 2nd job this would be it. Flexible hours

Great company to work. Fun people, managers are helping and support staff are great too. Highly recommend working for this company. Plus hours are good too.

Management isn’t trustable

at first this place seemed like an awesome environment to gain work experience. training period was fast and a little thrown in your face. the real kicker is that management will backstab you if necessary. they do NOT care about the situation, company policies or making them known to the workers. i find this workspace was incredible to work with the housekeepers and maintenance man and some of the front of desk agents, hotels guests were lovely. in its entirety no one has your back and everything is about them and management covering their butt I find it extremely unprofessional on how they chose to deal with my situation and I do not recommend than anyone ever stay at any sandman ever or work there.

Pros

50% off at denny’s

Cons

management

I would not recommend

I have worked here for a few months now, I got less than a week of training and then I was expected to finish around 20 rooms a day. The management is very nice I love that aspect of the job, but I would seriously expect more training. I felt unprepared and very angry every day I went in because as I said before I got very minimal training.

Pros

Nice co workers

Cons

Long hours, trashed rooms, minimal training

They set high standards but don’t keep up their end

Supposed to have 3 full days training. You’ll get 1.5 then sent your way and told everything’s wrong that you’re doing.They set such high standards for how each room needs to be perfectly cleaned, yet they want each room to be done in 30 minutes or less. They expect each cleaner to do 12+ rooms a day, which means most of them are bound to be skipping things (eg. Not changing sheets, not cleaning bathrooms properly or thoroughly)You’ll be running up and down the stairs all day for supplies and then they wonder why you can’t keep up with their standard of how fast you should be going.They let other cleaners be bullies and hog supplies, but they’ll assure you it’ll be dealt with when it won’t be.Overall, this company looks like a wonderful place to work, then when you start you’ll realize they have 2 “new hires” every single week quit before they make it to lunch.Do yourself a favour and don’t come here.

Pros

Pays $0.50 above minimum wage

Cons

Long days, high standards, not enough supplies, no teamwork

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sandman Hotel Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement