Sandman Hotel Group Employee Reviews

good learning opportunity
General Manager I (Former Employee) –  B.C20 February 2019
You will learn alot working for this company and the opportunity for advancement is available for those seeking. You will work long draining hours however.
Good place to work, at least in Vancouver
Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 February 2019
There have been some turnover and things got tight, but after hiring, management payback all those days and hours we work extra, not just on the paycheck but with some time off.

I work for the company for 6 years, and I have seen many people growing in within, including myself. I'm looking forward of the next step, the next challenges.

I have very amazing mentors, if you work hard you get good payback.
Pros
growing, and free hotel nights
Cons
more free nights
Run while you can
Front desk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 January 2019
It’s really unfortunate as a lot of good people work for this company. Fear; intimidation; and being a number is prevalent with this company. If your looking for a long term career avoid this company. Management treats their employees like garbage. Extremely cheap seems to be a standard as they seem to chase the dollars instead of caring for the hotel and the people running it. If you apply for this company ask yourself what benefit will it provide for me. Because they really don’t care about you as your just plugging a hole. Union is in need for every employees benefit, sanity, and being treated equally.
Pros
People you work with while there still there
Cons
Overworked; individual salary scale, lack of care for employees
Terrible Management
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 January 2019
You get the odd good managers, but most don't care about your well being. You want to advance? You have to look out for yourself. But there is opportunity but you MUST fight for it. And break? Well good luck, you do get paid for your break but managers won't relieve you to let you eat. They require you to be at the desk 24/7 oh but generally only schedule one person at the desk in the evening so you are front desk, maintenance and housekeeping.
Pros
Paid Break
Awful general manager
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Penticton11 January 2019
Manager of this operation is a jerk and needs to be replaced , bad management can cause poor conditions for all the only thing that keeps this man here is his lies and bull , he needs to be used like he uses everyone then maybe he will shape up.
Pros
Non
Cons
The job itself is rewarding
Housekeeper (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Calgary Airport30 December 2018
Housekeeping staff were great to work with but Management on the other hand not so much! They don't like to pay their employees. I've been emplyed since November and it's the end of December and still haven't received my pay. Had to go to Employment standards and even then they still don't want to pay their staff. I don't recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
Free apples and coffee
Cons
They don't like to pay their staff
Terrible banquet management
Banquet bartender (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK21 December 2018
Management team promote from within, so they claim.
The turn over rate was outrageous, to keep staff costs low, no one was ever given their proper advancement opportunities.
Pros
Clients were great
Cons
Banquets need proper management
Definitely not my favourite job
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC31 October 2018
Staff are hard to work with. Organization there isn’t even a thing! No one works well with each other. And the management doesn’t seem to be worried about their job or maintaining a staff let alone keeping the cleanliness of the hotel at best. I wouldn’t stay there as a guest because of how dirty it is, even after working there.
Pros
Full time schedule
Cons
Staff, cleanliness, management... etc
Best Company if you want to advance
Front Desk Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC23 September 2018
Sandman spends a lot of time talking to front line employees. Even the most senior regional managers and VP's come and meet with us and ask for our opinion. The difference here is that once they listen to us, they actually take what we said and make changes, and get us what we need to do our job. The other great thing is that if you want to move up in the company, they always let current employees have the first crack at promotion. It's hard work but I'm really happy to work for a company that listens to it's employees and that has senior managers that actually care.
Pros
Advancement. Management that actually cares and listens to staff.
Cons
Hospitality in general can be tough work!
The staff are great
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Guildford, BC6 September 2018
The staff and managers are all fantastic to work with , very friendly !
lots of training given ,
flexible hours if you are in school and looking for part time work
Pros
monthly staff lunches, benefits package
Cons
short staffed
work condition are perfect
Laundry Attendant (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BC6 July 2018
work condition must be good to work hard and give all you got to make others happy
Pros
free meals
Cons
health care
Amazing
Guest Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC14 May 2018
The Sandman has a great working atmosphere and the management is phenomenal. Hours are very reliable and generally pretty flexible. I would highly recommend to anyone looking for work.
negative work culture
Guest Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Okanagan Valley B.C.29 April 2018
As a shift manager you are expected to work long hours, often staying 2 to 3 hours over your eight hour day. Low salary, and expectations are way too high. The lines between each persons roles are blurred. The property where I worked was severely understaffed and it seemed like upper management was constantly cutting hours. Very negative place to work.
Pros
if you are lucky enough to get full time employment, dental and medical benefits are offered
Cons
Long hours expected, Low Pay, Too many constant policy and procedure changes
Not recommended
Maintance Man (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC10 January 2018
Worked there for very short time.As maintenance man.Very unorganized.Expect alot from you in a day!And alot of experience for a very low wage! Always having trouble finding staff.! Gee l wonder why!!! Very part time.! Good Luck with that!
Pros
Don't have any!
Cons
Your on call! Wages suck!
Great place to work for if you like meeting people from all walks of life
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BC11 October 2017
Been with the Sandman company for years. They treat their employees with the out most respect. They have an open door policy if you have any type of complaints.
Not a real position
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Fraser Valley Regional District, BC3 October 2017
Wasted my time working here. As soon as regular staff vacations were covered the position disappeared. They do the same thing every year. On the plus side the workers are for the most part ok. If you want to unplug toilets for a month or so this is for you.
Pros
Easy maintenance.
Cons
Not a permanent position (though that is what they advertise).
Decent Place to Work
Reservations Agent (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC24 July 2017
Lots of opportunities for growth. The pay is decent, however there is a lot of company polytechnics. Good place to start off, growth, and check out different opportunities, however not for the long term.
Great people fun enviroment
Production Assembler - Permanent Part Time (Former Employee) –  Revelstoke, BC21 March 2017
Hard work with great flexible hours
Amazing staff and management
Great perks with the local ski hill and discounted rate at other hotels
Always able to grab more hours
This was the worst job ever.
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BC28 January 2017
I had a hardtime staying positive and able to focus on work here.
There is no consistent staff from gm to housekeeping.
The workplace culture is unsupportive and lacking positive consistent training.
Wages are low for the kind of work expected.
Pros
Cons
Tiring unorganized negative workplace.