Salvation Army Thrift Shop Employee Reviews

Long days, decent people
Sales Associate/Cashier/Stock (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 June 2018
Hard work for low end wages. Decent job for two reasons; management treats you like a human being and you do occasionally find very interesting items.
Flexible and effective workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 March 2018
Amazing people to work with
Customers are left satisfied
Clean store
Organized and efficient staff
Great location
Amazing service
Flexible hours
dynamic, friendly working enviroment
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON9 March 2018
Rotation on the tasks, self-starter are encouraged, cooperative cooworkers, friendly and undertanding management.
Safety comes first. Opportunity to develop communication skills while assisting costumers.
Highly respect for the guests is taught.
It is a wonderful place to do God’s work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NS5 March 2018
A typical day is learning about people and their needed and being very friendly and being there to show people that it is a place of minstrey as well as a clothing store .helping others who are in need .welcoming people no matter where they come from or who they may be .we are all the same inGods eyes .it is a learning job and as for me I just love people in our small town you get to know all most everyone and people look forward to coming in to our thrift store daily over all I rate the thrift store and management as a wonderful place to work and officers here are people who treat you very well .overall I highly recommend this place to anyone
Pros
It would be nice to have free coffee
Cons
I don’t mind doing long hours
A day at a Thrift Store
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ON27 February 2018
Depending on the daily task you are given you will spend your shift doing one of three things; Front cash, Sorting clothing or Sorting other goods(ie everything that isn't clothing) Customers are usually great, they enjoy making conversation while they shop for trinkets or a new outfit. Some of them of course are not so easy. Co-workers were great when I first started the job, several of them have gone on to other workplaces and a few of the co-workers that are like to gossip about the other workers and the reason for the others leaving.
Management has not reprimanded these occurrences and the work environment has soured considerably. As they do not offer benefits, advancement opportunities or an enjoyable atmosphere I am looking for opportunities elsewhere.
It was great to help people in need
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON23 February 2018
I loved dealing with the public. Helping families in need or just looking for a custom. Getting to know the regular customers was the best part of the job.
Pros
It could be fun working there.
Cons
New management was unfair, favoured the young employees, Also they did not understand it was a charity group, not your everyday store.
Amazing place!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON12 February 2018
What an amazing place to volunteer at! The owners/managers are so respectful, understanding and provide quality support and assistance to their workers and customers. I loved working here as a volunteer. It's also a great place to meet new people.
Okay to volunteer at
Sales Associate and Merchandiser (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2018
Did some volunteering here. Not the best place to make a slow day go by faster. Good way to gain experience for retail and merchandising. They accept anyone as volunteers.
Chill place to work as long as procedure gets done
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Streetsville, ON29 January 2018
It was a great place to get to know new people, where customers become friends and comeback just because they want to see you. Overall work environment was fun and chill as long as you get work done
Not worth it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 January 2018
For the amount of things you’ll do and how much is expected of you by piers supervisors and managers this job is not worth it, you can do much better and the company does not look after its own
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB10 December 2017
Good place to work with some great people. I enjoyed the time there and appreciated the experience with the customers. I also enjoyed the great finds.
Flexible hours
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Port Credit, ON18 November 2017
Able to pick and choose flexible volunteering hours with little to no difficulty. The employer was very helpful in the distribution of work and responsibility and made the work easier for a new volunteer.
This was an enjoyable place to work. Management was always ready to help as needed.
Truck driver and customer sevice (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB8 October 2017
This store obsevered a Christian atmosphere.It was a fun place to work everyone was happy and cheerful. Always willing to help each other. Management would get down and dirty if such help was needed.
Pros
A nice cheerful atmosphere to work in
Cons
Had to spend a lot of time on the road between Calgary and Red Deer.
Very enjoyable workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON26 September 2017
Staff was very pleasant and kind, also very helpful for any beginners with questions. Management was very understanding of any personal issues that may impact working ability, and also very accommodating for that.
Easy place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON31 August 2017
It was a fun and easy place to work with simple tasks and good music in the background. Very fair with their hours and all very kind. I had positive interactions with all employees that worked there and other volunteers.
was good
All Rounder (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 August 2017
Pretty easy going, always something to do. Workers were nice and patient, organization was hard since everyone mixed everything up anyways, the company was enjoyable and so was the work environment.
Pros
breaks
Cons
not many people stopped by
A pleasure to work with the team
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON9 August 2017
I enjoyed going to work every day as it was a pleasure to work there . I learned how to price the articles for the store which was very rewarding in my compliments that were given to me . I'd like being part of the Salvation Army team . The hardest part was the heavy heavy lifting .
Pros
Meeting different people everyday
Cons
Extremely heavy lifting like furniture
Salvation Army
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 July 2017
I loved working there. The manager treated you like a friend. They dealt with all concerns appropriately. We got our pays on time. The staff was friendly and enjoyable to work with. It was a great environment. The only reason I had to stop working there was due to my illness.
positive and comfortable
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2017
All workers were friendly making for a fun work environment allowing me to be excited to go to work to interact and work with my colleagues, also allowed me to be a more efficient worker and always felt included in the community we had at work
Pros
good pay, exciting enviroment
Cons
lots of dust, clogged sinuses on some days from dust
Productive and fun.
Casheir (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB8 May 2017
Nice workplace,good staff.realy enjoyed working there.would still be there but they closed down the store ,had a great relationship with lots of customers,still see people all the time,really miss the job.
Pros
Rasp contribution every pay check.
Cons
Hard on your feet.