Saltworks Technologies Inc Employee Reviews

Young company, bursting at the seams
Journeyman Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC2 April 2018
Great work environment, some safety concerns, but generally a good place to work. So much work and tight deadlines offer a good challenge for workers. Too many engineers (young) who expect workers to obey instantly when they need something changed.
Pros
Lots of fun and challenging work.
Cons
Engineers are young and inexperienced
Dynamic, Engaging Work with Supportive Team
Technology Director (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 January 2018
I joined Saltworks back when it was a small start-up with a few employees.

From the early days, I was involved with commercializing different water treatment and desalination solutions. I started off as an engineer participating in the development of innovative technologies, treatment solutions, some of which led to patents and commercial applications. A few of these solutions gained traction and that allowed the company to grow to where it is now. It is still growing rapidly, with lots of new opportunities for motivated employees.

I enjoyed working with talented people in this fast-paced environment. There are ample opportunities to apply your knowledge and work with multi-disciplinary teams, including process, mechanical, electrical, controls, chemical and integrated knowledge. Some tasks involve experimentation and learning, and we have been employing some of the “lean startup” methodology typically associated with software companies, such as “fail fast” to learn what works and what doesn't. Other tasks would require a more traditional approach, but the team is always receptive to suggestions and improvements to efficiency, quality, and speed.

Management cares about its employees, and provides opportunities for growth, increased responsibilities and compensation to those who are productive. Working here is not for everybody, but it is rewarding to those who are capable and want to grow through solving challenging real-life problems and making a difference.

I have grown with the company. I was involved with multiple roles including engineering, commissioning,
  more... development, and project management through the years. There are some long, tough days (e.g. at site, or back in the office when deadlines are coming up). But I always feel that the team is there with me and we are in this together. The team brings the best work in me and I am excited to continue to learn and take part in delivering world-class cleantech solutions.  less
Pros
Supportive team culture, fast pace environment, working with other high performers, see your work make a difference.
Lots of growth, but toughness and perseverance required
Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC4 January 2018
This is not your everyday grind at a big company. You'll find lots of opportunities for growth and various challenges coming your way everyday. Management is very involved in operations and open to feedback. Pay and benefits are fair to the value you bring to the company and you will be rewarded for excellence. The culture is open honesty with professionalism, and everyone is determined to provide quality output. If you want to push yourself to the next level in your professional career, this would be a great place to start.
Pros
Great opportunities
Cons
Longer hours
Growth oriented company with a dynamic young team
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC28 December 2017
* I love working at Saltworks because I get to develop technology that addresses important environmental challenges.

* The team is young and ideas/opinions are encouraged from everyone; this is not a stodgy office stuck in outdated ways.

* The workplace culture is open and direct. Hard work and commitment is expected but also recognized and rewarded.

* Management makes an effort to keep everyone informed with how our specific tasks contribute to larger goals.

* Standard work week is 45 hours with OT during busy times which is paid even for salaried employees.
Pros
fast-paced environment, responsive management, exciting work, meritocracy
Meaningful, Productive, Growth Opportunities
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC28 December 2017
Been working at Saltworks for over 4 years as an engineer.

Work:
- Always interesting (no copy and paste water treatment plants), as engineers get to work on leading edge technology development. Saltworks provides invaluable opportunities for hands on research/experimentation, build and design all happening under one roof
- Site work plentiful for those who value hands on experience. Site work is tough, but there is always support (24/7!) from Saltworks HQ.

Management:
- Great management. There is a clear vision and focus for the company that is well communicated to everyone

Work Culture:
- Hard working, and fast paced (not for the faint of heart or those looking to socialize)
- Minimal office drama, everyone at Saltworks is there to advance water treatment technology and solve real life environmental problems.
- A lot of teamwork and collaboration across different disciplines
- Work/life balance is encouraged. However, the company has a lot of driven employees that care about the technology and company, and longer hours are worked as necessary
Pros
Cleantech, Innovation, growth opportunities and support from management
Work hard, learn a lot, solve the world's water problems
Director of Technology (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC28 December 2017
I have worked at Saltworks for several years, starting right out of university. Throughout my career I have had the opportunity to advance through multiple positions to reach my current one.

There are always opportunities to take on projects of increasing challenge and learn new things. I continue to learn each day as we have a wide range of customers with unique problems to solve.

It is really rewarding to work with people who are super smart and dedicated to solving the world's water problems. We are at the forefront of water treatment invention and we most often out-invent ourselves (50+ patents). This can lead to rework as we innovate, but if it was easy someone would have done it already.

Management is very good at communicating upcoming needs and priorities. They are also readily available to answer questions and offer mentoring where needed. Even the door to the CEO is open and available to all.

The hours are longer (45 h/week min) with additional demands if you are in the field (12-14h/day) or if we need to make sure a project is delivered on time. You get used to it pretty quick and accommodations are made to ensure you have a personal life. I go home tired but satisfied.

Compensation is very fair and improves as you grow and perform. My salary has more than doubled since I started and includes company stock options. Overtime and per diem in the field mean you are always well taken care of.
Pros
Great smart people + making a difference
Growth Opportunities!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC30 August 2017
I've worked at Saltworks for over a year now and I couldn't have been happier here!

They practice a very unique business management approach that leaves a lot of room for growth, collaboration, trying new things and learning! It is very refreshing to see a company that offers advancement opportunities to young professionals. The executive and management teams are top notch!

This isn't the right place for mediocre performers.
Pros
Great culture, advancement, decent pay, leading technology, strong safety culture, interesting work
Cons
longer hours at times but nothing out of ordinary
very exciting and fun place to work with plenty of creative challenges
Technician / Assembler (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 March 2017
very exciting and fun place to work with plenty of creative challenges!
work with scientists and engineers!
cutting science and engineering!
excellent camaraderie!
Pros
lots of parties
Cons
Great company with a great future.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Richmond, British Columbia, Canada12 October 2016
I have been at the Richmond, BC facility for under a year and I've seen Saltworks combine innovation with design and production in a very exciting and fast paced way.
The facility is new and spacious, the professionals here are friendly and the projects I've been involved with are fantastic.
There is a real team culture here which is refreshing and makes me look forward to coming in every day.
Pros
Great future