Sally Beauty Employee Reviews

Found 95 reviews matching the search See all 2,855 reviews
Dont waste your time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON19 January 2019
I have been a part time employee for 1 year.
In the beginning it was great. The original manager that trained was awesome. I learned a lot and she was very supportive and considerate with employees.
New management is under qualified, lacks consideration, manners and respect .
Employees are pinned against each other and certain emoyees are favored above others.
Always pressured to tattle tale or snitch on another employee behind their backs and gossiping about them is and has become an artform.
Managers friends are in the back room periodically.

Always short staffed and very pressured at last minute to cover shifts.
Risky and potentially dangerous to work at night.
Good luck with approaching management your concerns, questions etc.
You will be turned away and ignored.
Threatened and intimidated with corrective action and reporting to the DM about common , petty mistakes instead of adressing it themselves.
Personal business is shared and gossiped about in the back room constantly and with customers.

Manager likes to befriend the younger employees to control them and then pins them against each other.
You will not be praised, motivated or recognized for your overall professional conduct but called out on anything that is irrelevant to your shift.
Bullying, ego and power tripping is the focal point of management.
Very dissapointed.
I would not recommend working in such a catty, unethical environment.
Apply to a more professionally run business.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
Horrible abussive management.
save yourself
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 January 2019
Since working at sallys i've experienced human rights violations, had my manager go against employee standards, had my manager try to constructively dismiss me on multiple occasions, was written up or given a "corrective" for being hospitalized due to illness.
Was lied to by managers regarding sick days and paid sick days, And then was bullied by my manager into quitting my job due to illness.
I've carried so much stress from this job that i could barely move my neck, I wish this on no one.
Pros
absoluteley nothing
very bad experience with coworkers/managers
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 January 2019
Do not advise to work for, they hide opportunities for hard working employees, and let other employees slack off and do illegal things while on shift at work. Alot of favortism, Especially bullying, and discrimination, whether or not this is a racist thing is another worry, but it all felt that way, coming from Managers and coworkers! They are not honest, Fair and will lie to you about positions, well, where I was located. Only use you for the sales, not dedicated to the employee.
Fun workplace but terrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 December 2018
Really enjoy working for the company and for the interactions I get to have on a daily basis with all different types of people, including the rude customers because the good always outweighs the bad. Don’t really care for the free products. You do not get ANY basic benefits/insurance as a part time employee (which is terrible considering one store is able to make $2000-$8000 thousand selling small product in a single day?). The raise is very little and only happens once a year 6 months from your date of employment and it’s only a 5-10 cent raise. The employees are the reason the company is making money AT ALL. As they tell you in training to “keep the customer coming back for more.” Give a little more recognition and praise to the people who make the brand what it is. They are the reason that the company is even thriving. Money hungry, cut hours, no benefits, very inflexible scheduling. Difficult to even get a day or two off due to low amount of employees because the company is cheap and doesn’t want to pay employees. The management is terrible, nothing is organized, poor communication and constantly gossiping about customers and even THEIR OWN employees. I guaranteed sound like a person that absolutely HATED their job but all in all, loved working in the environment but Sally’s Beauty as a whole, is a no from me. 2 whole stars for the work environment! There are better jobs out there with better opportunity and praise for you.

Cheers xo
Pros
Environment
Cons
Everything but the environment
A dead end job
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2018
Working at Sally's was great at first, and then new upper management came in.
New DM and TM are trying to push out old staff and with the contrast between how it was before and how it is now, original staff are dropping like flies.

No opportunity for advancement and a complete disorganized mess. The company is so inconsistent and things change almost everyday.
The upper management is also incredibly condescending- DM is no leader and possesses absolutely zero skills which someone in upper management should have.

When new management came in they demoted us all to part-time so they could change our hours and give us as many or as little as they wanted. Upper management's solution for getting rid of someone is putting their hours at zero and making them quit.

This is honestly just a dead end job. Maybe if management cared about their employees and recognized people who have put the time in at THEIR company, this would be a good place to work. Instead they treat their employees like idiots. Zero recognition, zero opportunity for advancement. Only work here if you're desperate for cash and don't plan on staying long-term. You are just a replaceable nameless figure here (DM can't even learn employee's names) who's only expectation is to make sales (Other stores with INCOMPETENT store managers are praised because they are in a busy location and make sales). It's a joke.

Only pro I can say is I made some awesome friendships working here and learned a lot but honestly that doesn't reflect on the company, it reflects on the other employees.
Pros
Good staff within the store
Cons
No opportunities, incompetent management, no recognition
If you want to like your job, find another place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 November 2018
Mississauga districts
Sally Beauty USED to be a great place to work. They USED to be 100% for their employees. Now they're all just money hungry bullies. New DM and TM are pushing out old staff. New DM has insanely poor leadership and communication skills. Demotions, hour cuts and no opportunities to move up with new management. HR is also little to no help. Little to no security. They try to promote girl power, but it's all just gossiping amongst managers, DMs, TM and HR. Basically trust no one. The one thing positive i will say is the training in hair care and colour you gain a lot of experience through customers and the training provided here.
Pros
Training
Cons
Management, hours, Hr
For Beauty Fanatics!
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ontario7 October 2018
I loved learning about the beauty products.
My favourite part of the job was learning Hair Colour 101. I gained so much valuable information! I loved looking at all the different types of products. I learned so much!
The District Manager was friendly and easy to talk to about anything, including any social discrepancies within the team setting.
The manager was horrible and unprofessional. She liked causing drama in the workplace, and would bring her son in the back room for closing. I don’t know if the company allows that, but whatever.
The coworkers were OKAY. Nothing too special about them.
The girls were infamous for using their cell phones on the floor...Including the manager.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Manager
Used to be a great company NOT NOW
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 October 2018
Over the past year this company has slowly eat the soul of anyone who was long term employee. Not only has the company got rid of the DM's who help build this company in Canada, they pushed out the RD who was amazing to work for. Now we have a bunch of Bullies in place. No mangers in half the stores. We can't hire full time workers . we have to close our stores by ourselves due to reduced hours.
Not sure if our CEO even know what's going on. The New president and her sidekick is just a network of DSW fired employees.. this is who is running the company now.
DO NOT WORK HERE
I have only two staff members but the new RD won't let me hire . I have to almost work 6 days a week and I only get paid for 5 . Not sure if they know anything about ESA .
Pros
got samples of products
Cons
bullies in upper managment and lazy who do no work
Sally’s will eat your soul
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 September 2018
Working for Sally’s is basically like being in high school. I’ve worked in all female workplaces but never anything like Sally’s. Truth is this goes as far as the management and higher ups. If you called in sick for a shift, you would spend your next one being ignored by staff as punishment.
Sally’s is a difficult place to work. You need chemical knowledge for every product (because customers will ask) and its a very lengthy discussion with most customers needing to be walked through the entire process.
Working at Sally’s you need to sell a certain amount of products to be considered a “good employee”, you’re told to even lie to customers to sell them these products that aren’t suited to their needs.
If you don’t lie to enough customers, you’ll receive a corrective.
Pros
A free product every month you’ll never use
Cons
Minimum pay, bad management, long hours
great workplace
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 September 2018
great management and staff. The manager does her best to make sure the each staff member is comfortable working: by giving excellent training and ensure you have product knowledge to answer any questions customers might have.
Don't apply here
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 September 2018
Extremely low wages, even in higher positions.

High turnover rate.

Treated like a commission position despite not being compensated. You will be hounded about your numbers on a daily basis.

Everything you do is tracked, if you delete an item from someone's order because it's no longer wanted you are penelized.

Management is lazy and quick to blame their lower staff.

The gossip among managment is unprofessional.

When good employees leave they dont question why they are leaving.

I was continually lied to about my position and moving up within the company

Training is lack luster and minimal. Assistant manager training is a joke.

Assistant manager means you will do everything the manager does but get paid less. So your manager can come to work and make personal phone calls all day.
Pros
Free products
Cons
Discount is minimal. Moving up isn't worth it.
Worst Job
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON8 August 2018
I worked at Sally Beauty as a manager for 5+ years and it was the worst job ive ever had...only stuck around for so long cause I loved my staff. Upper management is literally garbage and doesn’t care about your well being at all. They want you to eat sleep breathe Sally Beauty. Pay isn’t worth it at all...save yourself the hassle and look for another job, unless depression is what you’re looking for.
Was a better job years ago
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham Region, ON2 August 2018
I worked for CosmoProf for a very long time. Things were amazing until a new DM was hired for my territory about 10 years ago. Upper management is the only problem with this entire company. They care nothing about you as a human being and your personal life and think that you should live, eat, breath, sleep CosmoProf just like they do. If you don’t, your life will be made miserable and you will walk around with a huge target on your back. Upper management makes it a point to lie, make up stories, push people to quit or fabricate situations so they can write you up until they get rid of you. And don’t even think of taking any sick leave!! Got a medical condition? You better hope you won’t need time off!
The pay is also garbage for what you are required to do. They pile on the work with no notice and no exceptions, yet expect more work for the same pay. Don’t expect a big raise even if you’ve put in years with the company either. Loyalty means nothing to this company. I once received a .03 cent raise. The difference in pay from a part time employee to a manager is literally only $2/hr. Absolutely impractical wages for anyone to survive on their own without another form of income.
The experience was great and the customers and staff are all amazing.
Just don’t expect much for what is needed of you. Definitely, 100%, not worth it.
Pros
Benefits, rrsp’s, sales incentives, staff and coworkers
Cons
Upper management, wages
Horrible company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON30 July 2018
Worst company I have ever worked for they treat the staff horriblly and they take advantage of their staff and much as they can, they have double standards, they will tell one person one thing and tell someone else another thing
Awful work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  City of Falls Church, VA26 July 2018
I applied for management position, was promised said position, then was placed as a cashier in the front with NO MANAGER for at least a month. The other cashiers would take advantage of this and use student discounts on the products (you get more of a discount than the employee discount) and assured me it was okay. Little did I know it was not okay and I was promptly fired as soon as a manager was hired.
Pros
lots of good products for affordable prices.
Cons
poor management.
do not recommend
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC13 July 2018
Pay is min wage, treated horribly. Hours are not the best very late and get accused of many things. Manger call you phone and forgets to hang up and talks about you to fellow co workers.
Worst boss ever and the fact higher ups won’t deal with her says everything.
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC13 July 2018
It has been almost a year since I quit. I feel that people looking to work for this company should know, The management is horrible and the entire company is bass ackward. Save yourself the disrespect.
Pros
Free products
Cons
Horrible bosses
Fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 July 2018
they offer all the necessary training required for the job, they also believe in promoting within, so there is lots of room for growth.
they offer a great benefits package for all full time associates as well.
Sally beauty
Sales consultant (Former Employee) –  Macleod trail location calgary10 June 2018
I worked at sally beauty supply for 7 months at first it was a great job manager was fantastic. When the manager transferred my hours for cut . I was never late always on time and I worked hard but she cut my hours down to the bare minimum leaving me no choice but to quit . Sad to do this to a licences stylist with 3 kids needing this job . I don’t recommend working for the location I was at .
Pros
Free product
Cons
fun people, horrible higher up's
BEAUTY ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2018
all my co workers were wonderful, but the higher ups in the company love to be negative. location i worked was extremely sketchy - had no security cameras
Pros
fun customers
Cons
working almost every day - hard to book time off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sally Beauty. Our community is ready to answer.