Sally Beauty Employee Reviews

A fantastic team!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON9 April 2018
The team at the woodbridge location is amazing and become more like family as opposed to coworkers. Store 5527 is filled with a welcoming and hard working bunch. The manager is amazing and works well with everyone, always working as a team.
Pros
team
Cons
benefits are not the greatest
terrible
Third Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC9 March 2018
honestly save yourself the hassle,
at a terrible wage you will be a advisor, counsellor, merchandiser, advertiser, handy man, janitor,
you will be walked over by customers and staff.

everything will be your problem, never upper managements, you will have to fix everything, even the cash registers.
its ok if your being paid the part but your not.

on top of everything you are drilled into about average sales, quotas etc, with no incentive for the drive, oh but your manager can win a sweet vacation if you keep slaving off on sales!

to save themselves managers will throw you under the bus, be cautious of everything.

and don't expect any help from your human resource rep

infact nothing is private and confidential, everyone will know everything even stores miles away will know who is hired and fired, where, when and why! your personal life becomes a topic for DM and STORE MANAGERS to discuss in the backroom
Pros
employee discount, but depending on their mood family are sometimes allowed or not allowed
Cons
everything
Best place to work if you love hair and beauty
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2018
This was probably my favorite job I have ever had, my co-workers were the best ( besides management ) we always found ways to have fun, not a lot of annoying customers good work life balance. Management needed major improvements when I was still there but it seems they've cleaned out some bad apples would recommend to any one!
fast pass environment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 March 2018
Always on my feet moving and communicating with many people
scheduling and organizing daily tasks
Self motivator
Being around different people is always great
Pros
Steady work
Team, great. Management, no
Associate and assistant manager (Former Employee) –  130th calgsry21 February 2018
Got overworked,got the job title & stress without the pay, kept hiring bad clueless managers. Takes advantage of their staff,mistreat good workers. Bullies their staff into workig shifts and quitting.
Pros
Occasional gratis, my team.
Cons
Shifts, pay, lies, responsibilities
Fun, Fast paced work place.
Beauty Advisor(Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 February 2018
Fun place to work. Lots of perks. Lots of changes in the company, so lots of issues within the store. Hopefully will get better in time. Lots of availability to move up in the company.
Pros
fast paced
Cons
lots to do always
Good first job
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Queen River Boat, AB7 February 2018
This job is overall “ok”
Probably good for a first job, You learn how to handle money, and help customers with their questions, there can be a lot of rude and “entitled” customers.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
A Good place to wrok at.
Assist customers (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON1 February 2018
Sally beauty is a nice environment to work at, and it is also good for part time. I got a good experience working there and I would to recommend sally to people who want to work there.
Poor management
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC28 January 2018
Poor management, bullied by manager and staff Into eventually quiting. Personal issues of the manager became public with the staff. Soon everyone became involved, everything was pinned into one girl and the work place environment became hostile and uncomfortable.
Cons
Abuse and bullying
Retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 November 2017
A typical day consisted of helping customers find the right products; running them through the cash register, setting up and tearing down of displays.

Management was ok.

Workplace culture was meh.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with rude or angry customers who treat you like you're the scum of the earth.

Want to know more about Sally Beauty?

Ask a question
good
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS29 October 2017
it was super good, i throughly enjoyed it and it wasnt too difficult but gave me day to day challenges to overcome proving that i have the ability to work quick on my feet and think quickly
Awful management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 September 2017
My title says it all. I've worked for Sally Beauty twice, and it is no different than the first time. The teams are great, at least my teams were fantastic, upper management however was zero help on many many occassions. As an assistant manager, I kept sales driven and the team focused. The new manager however, liked to leave early, leave while on shift to attend to her many "appointments" and treated her employees like absolute garbage. Again, uppermanagement had no help, and refused to help. I came from a staff of ten, and all ten, including myself, quit under the direction of this manager. Sally Beauty needs to focus on the Alberta area's DM, and TM's. Corruption is afoot.
Fun but management suck
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 September 2017
Sally's is a fun place to work. Employees are great but managers and Dm's are the worst. I just cant stress that enough. It all number focused. If you don't sell the items of the month you can get a corrective. The whole girlfriend in the knew if literally harassing customers. Any complained or concerns you have the response is " well there's the door"
Pros
Free samples of new products
Cons
management
They need to look into better managers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 August 2017
I worked at Sallys in a city that had several locations I admit it I've always dreamt of working there, but honestly not until I started did I notice how horribly run it is. Between customer running us over at our location and loss prevention from the company not helping with the amount of theft we had. The girls I worked with we were always on our feet and watching out for theft and no matter the measures loss prevention would tell us to do nothing actually prevented theft or even stopped it. Not to mention the mall security would never respond to when we had a problem the police would show up sooner than them and that's 30 minutes later. Other locations when we would ring them for customers looking for products they wouldn't answer at all and give customers the wrong information about the products and than we'd have angry customers and upset people come in and throw fits at us when we tried to help fix whatever the other locations did. I really hope that they start hiring more people that actually know and care about products and the people because I loved that job and helping out the customers but even I got tired from that job. I was hired as a part time and I worked full time. Try balancing school and work with that when it's a few hour bus ride to work every day there and than back again. Honestly Sallys needs to make sure also that they're managers aren't drug addicts too because they would be aware of managers like that and not do anything about it and than wonder why all of they're money would go missing. As a cosmetology student you learn even more at Sallys than you  more... do in school, it adds to the information which is a bonus. But other than that it's a really poor work environment with the polices in place that don't keep employees actually safe from anything, the amount of times fellow employees or I would end up going home injured from customers was endless. Also if they worked out a better time table program that would be great because I know tons of outgoing students that loved working there as well but couldn't handle it because the job is way more demanding than it advertises. They're under new management the company and there were a few weekends when we had to also write invoices the old fasishomed way which took a whole day of just writing them because that takes a long time when on a Saturday the busiest day. If you can handle long hours and unexpected work environment than it's perfect for you but if you can't than save yourself the trouble, I'm sure working at Walmart would be better than Sallys. They're always out of high selling products for more than a year in the warehouse. We'd check every week and they would be completely out like they're never ordering them which would make no sense because they're the products in demand. Plus the district managers even when constantly will forget to give you your raise by half a year too late. When paying rent and student loans that really sucks with the delay when I could've made more money and be out of debt. So save yourself the trouble don't work there it will save your insanity for the most part. I'm an honest person and I honestly wish I had seen an honest review about Sallys I would've taken a job else where.  less
Pros
Employees discount, shipment day
Cons
Might get a day off every three weeks, customers can injure you over hair products, minimum wage, raises are forgetten by the district managers no matter how many times they are reminded, no overtime pay
Managing a succeful team
point of sale
inventory
reports
purchase orders
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
no comment
Solid company
Beauty advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2017
Slackers stay away. Good workers are treated very well. If you are lazy, you won't last. Good career if you are honest and care about others. Free product for staff every month. Love it!
Pros
Great manager
Cons
Till problems
Good place to learn about beauty products
Sales Associate / Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 July 2017
A typical day at Sally Beauty would include interaction with customers and staff about new product and trending products.
The most valuable thing was to able to provide my opinion about products I was familiar with before joining Sally beauty.
The most enjoyable part of the job was receiving monthly free product. The hardest part of the job was poor management which did not allow me to feel comfortable at work.
Pros
free samples, close to home, interested in beauty industry
Cons
poor managment, immature co-workers, lack of respect
Great company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON4 July 2017
I was at Sally Beauty for quite a few years. It was a great job and helped me to open up my eyes into the beauty world. Sally's was what inspired me to go to school for Esthetics. They are always coming out with the newest products and appliances and are always concerned about their customers experience.
For a minimum wage job, they expect A LOT
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON26 June 2017
The first week of your training flies by and if you have a great store manager they will make you feel welcomed and make sure you're learning on the floor as well. after a few months you should be a pro at all the products and day-to-day tasks however, behind the scenes there is a lot of other information and numbers to make sure you're up on. You have to have a certain number of sales and if you don't meet them the district manager comes in to play sometimes and my district manager wasn't the best team leader and sometimes I felt like it was more personal than anything. She was also not professional at times. Overall this job did have room for growth but there was a lot of stress that came with a part time minimum wage job and if you're not serious about this in the long run, it's really not worth it.
Pros
Free monthly samples
Cons
district manager, low pay, lots of stress
Fun place to wofk
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC14 June 2017
Great to work for. Friendly environment. Great leadership. Lots of little bonuses if you work hard. Very well organized company. Lots of training involved

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sally Beauty. Our community is ready to answer.