Sally Beauty Employee Reviews

Found 90 reviews matching the search See all 2,787 reviews
A dead end job
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2018
Working at Sally's was great at first, and then new upper management came in.
New DM and TM are trying to push out old staff and with the contrast between how it was before and how it is now, original staff are dropping like flies.

No opportunity for advancement and a complete disorganized mess. The company is so inconsistent and things change almost everyday.
The upper management is also incredibly condescending- DM is no leader and possesses absolutely zero skills which someone in upper management should have.

When new management came in they demoted us all to part-time so they could change our hours and give us as many or as little as they wanted. Upper management's solution for getting rid of someone is putting their hours at zero and making them quit.

This is honestly just a dead end job. Maybe if management cared about their employees and recognized people who have put the time in at THEIR company, this would be a good place to work. Instead they treat their employees like idiots. Zero recognition, zero opportunity for advancement. Only work here if you're desperate for cash and don't plan on staying long-term. You are just a replaceable nameless figure here (DM can't even learn employee's names) who's only expectation is to make sales (Other stores with INCOMPETENT store managers are praised because they are in a busy location and make sales). It's a joke.

Only pro I can say is I made some awesome friendships working here and learned a lot but honestly that doesn't reflect on the company, it reflects on the other employees.
Pros
Good staff within the store
Cons
No opportunities, incompetent management, no recognition
If you want to like your job, find another place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 November 2018
Mississauga districts
Sally Beauty USED to be a great place to work. They USED to be 100% for their employees. Now they're all just money hungry bullies. New DM and TM are pushing out old staff. New DM has insanely poor leadership and communication skills. Demotions, hour cuts and no opportunities to move up with new management. HR is also little to no help. Little to no security. They try to promote girl power, but it's all just gossiping amongst managers, DMs, TM and HR. Basically trust no one. The one thing positive i will say is the training in hair care and colour you gain a lot of experience through customers and the training provided here.
Pros
Training
Cons
Management, hours, Hr
Used to be a great company NOT NOW
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 October 2018
Over the past year this company has slowly eat the soul of anyone who was long term employee. Not only has the company got rid of the DM's who help build this company in Canada, they pushed out the RD who was amazing to work for. Now we have a bunch of Bullies in place. No mangers in half the stores. We can't hire full time workers . we have to close our stores by ourselves due to reduced hours.
Not sure if our CEO even know what's going on. The New president and her sidekick is just a network of DSW fired employees.. this is who is running the company now.
DO NOT WORK HERE
I have only two staff members but the new RD won't let me hire . I have to almost work 6 days a week and I only get paid for 5 . Not sure if they know anything about ESA .
Pros
got samples of products
Cons
bullies in upper managment and lazy who do no work
Sally’s will eat your soul
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 September 2018
Working for Sally’s is basically like being in high school. I’ve worked in all female workplaces but never anything like Sally’s. Truth is this goes as far as the management and higher ups. If you called in sick for a shift, you would spend your next one being ignored by staff as punishment.
Sally’s is a difficult place to work. You need chemical knowledge for every product (because customers will ask) and its a very lengthy discussion with most customers needing to be walked through the entire process.
Working at Sally’s you need to sell a certain amount of products to be considered a “good employee”, you’re told to even lie to customers to sell them these products that aren’t suited to their needs.
If you don’t lie to enough customers, you’ll receive a corrective.
Pros
A free product every month you’ll never use
Cons
Minimum pay, bad management, long hours
great workplace
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 September 2018
great management and staff. The manager does her best to make sure the each staff member is comfortable working: by giving excellent training and ensure you have product knowledge to answer any questions customers might have.
Don't apply here
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 September 2018
Extremely low wages, even in higher positions.

High turnover rate.

Treated like a commission position despite not being compensated. You will be hounded about your numbers on a daily basis.

Everything you do is tracked, if you delete an item from someone's order because it's no longer wanted you are penelized.

Management is lazy and quick to blame their lower staff.

The gossip among managment is unprofessional.

When good employees leave they dont question why they are leaving.

I was continually lied to about my position and moving up within the company

Training is lack luster and minimal. Assistant manager training is a joke.

Assistant manager means you will do everything the manager does but get paid less. So your manager can come to work and make personal phone calls all day.
Pros
Free products
Cons
Discount is minimal. Moving up isn't worth it.
Worst Job
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON8 August 2018
I worked at Sally Beauty as a manager for 5+ years and it was the worst job ive ever had...only stuck around for so long cause I loved my staff. Upper management is literally garbage and doesn’t care about your well being at all. They want you to eat sleep breathe Sally Beauty. Pay isn’t worth it at all...save yourself the hassle and look for another job, unless depression is what you’re looking for.
Was a better job years ago
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham Region, ON2 August 2018
I worked for CosmoProf for a very long time. Things were amazing until a new DM was hired for my territory about 10 years ago. Upper management is the only problem with this entire company. They care nothing about you as a human being and your personal life and think that you should live, eat, breath, sleep CosmoProf just like they do. If you don’t, your life will be made miserable and you will walk around with a huge target on your back. Upper management makes it a point to lie, make up stories, push people to quit or fabricate situations so they can write you up until they get rid of you. And don’t even think of taking any sick leave!! Got a medical condition? You better hope you won’t need time off!
The pay is also garbage for what you are required to do. They pile on the work with no notice and no exceptions, yet expect more work for the same pay. Don’t expect a big raise even if you’ve put in years with the company either. Loyalty means nothing to this company. I once received a .03 cent raise. The difference in pay from a part time employee to a manager is literally only $2/hr. Absolutely impractical wages for anyone to survive on their own without another form of income.
The experience was great and the customers and staff are all amazing.
Just don’t expect much for what is needed of you. Definitely, 100%, not worth it.
Pros
Benefits, rrsp’s, sales incentives, staff and coworkers
Cons
Upper management, wages
Horrible company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON30 July 2018
Worst company I have ever worked for they treat the staff horriblly and they take advantage of their staff and much as they can, they have double standards, they will tell one person one thing and tell someone else another thing
Awful work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  City of Falls Church, VA26 July 2018
I applied for management position, was promised said position, then was placed as a cashier in the front with NO MANAGER for at least a month. The other cashiers would take advantage of this and use student discounts on the products (you get more of a discount than the employee discount) and assured me it was okay. Little did I know it was not okay and I was promptly fired as soon as a manager was hired.
Pros
lots of good products for affordable prices.
Cons
poor management.
do not recommend
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC13 July 2018
Pay is min wage, treated horribly. Hours are not the best very late and get accused of many things. Manger call you phone and forgets to hang up and talks about you to fellow co workers.
Worst boss ever and the fact higher ups won’t deal with her says everything.
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC13 July 2018
It has been almost a year since I quit. I feel that people looking to work for this company should know, The management is horrible and the entire company is bass ackward. Save yourself the disrespect.
Pros
Free products
Cons
Horrible bosses
Fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 July 2018
they offer all the necessary training required for the job, they also believe in promoting within, so there is lots of room for growth.
they offer a great benefits package for all full time associates as well.
Sally beauty
Sales consultant (Former Employee) –  Macleod trail location calgary10 June 2018
I worked at sally beauty supply for 7 months at first it was a great job manager was fantastic. When the manager transferred my hours for cut . I was never late always on time and I worked hard but she cut my hours down to the bare minimum leaving me no choice but to quit . Sad to do this to a licences stylist with 3 kids needing this job . I don’t recommend working for the location I was at .
Pros
Free product
Cons
fun people, horrible higher up's
BEAUTY ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2018
all my co workers were wonderful, but the higher ups in the company love to be negative. location i worked was extremely sketchy - had no security cameras
Pros
fun customers
Cons
working almost every day - hard to book time off
A fantastic team!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON9 April 2018
The team at the woodbridge location is amazing and become more like family as opposed to coworkers. Store 5527 is filled with a welcoming and hard working bunch. The manager is amazing and works well with everyone, always working as a team.
Pros
team
Cons
benefits are not the greatest
terrible
Third Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC9 March 2018
honestly save yourself the hassle,
at a terrible wage you will be a advisor, counsellor, merchandiser, advertiser, handy man, janitor,
you will be walked over by customers and staff.

everything will be your problem, never upper managements, you will have to fix everything, even the cash registers.
its ok if your being paid the part but your not.

on top of everything you are drilled into about average sales, quotas etc, with no incentive for the drive, oh but your manager can win a sweet vacation if you keep slaving off on sales!

to save themselves managers will throw you under the bus, be cautious of everything.

and don't expect any help from your human resource rep

infact nothing is private and confidential, everyone will know everything even stores miles away will know who is hired and fired, where, when and why! your personal life becomes a topic for DM and STORE MANAGERS to discuss in the backroom
Pros
employee discount, but depending on their mood family are sometimes allowed or not allowed
Cons
everything
Best place to work if you love hair and beauty
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2018
This was probably my favorite job I have ever had, my co-workers were the best ( besides management ) we always found ways to have fun, not a lot of annoying customers good work life balance. Management needed major improvements when I was still there but it seems they've cleaned out some bad apples would recommend to any one!
fast pass environment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 March 2018
Always on my feet moving and communicating with many people
scheduling and organizing daily tasks
Self motivator
Being around different people is always great
Pros
Steady work
Team, great. Management, no
Associate and assistant manager (Former Employee) –  130th calgsry21 February 2018
Got overworked,got the job title & stress without the pay, kept hiring bad clueless managers. Takes advantage of their staff,mistreat good workers. Bullies their staff into workig shifts and quitting.
Pros
Occasional gratis, my team.
Cons
Shifts, pay, lies, responsibilities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sally Beauty. Our community is ready to answer.