SAIT Employee Reviews

This place is toxic and soul destroying
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 December 2018
worked at SAIT for 5+ years and have never seen a place that has more ego. The turn around in senior management proves how horrible it is, if senior people don't want to stay who does? I have never met anyone that has left and has anything good to say about SAIT. The culture is one of throwing people under the bus, motivation is done by fear and it is common that people step on others to get ahead. Workplace bullying is rife in most departments and HR is only concerned with covering it up instead of correcting the issue. It's the only place I know that continually gets worse.
Pros
vacation
Cons
bullying, HR cover ups, ruled by fear
absoluletly no job advancement and management are brutal
Finance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 August 2018
If your looking for a company where you can make a difference to the business, look somewhere else. SAIT only wants robots who do as they are told, they don't want you to find more efficient ways of doing things, they don't want you using your brain and they certainly don't want you to think outside the box. They are an institution and have been doing things a certain way for 100 years and they aren't going to change their processes now.

Management certainly don't care about their people either, they are aggressive and bullies and if they don't like you, they make you as miserable as possible hoping you will quit.
Pros
good medical benefits
Cons
a general nightmare to work for
Inept leadership
Managment (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2019
When I began at SAIT, it was fantastic, tremendous vision and management. Beginning in 2016 a number of key management positions were forced out and replaced by unqualified puppets who would fall in line with the top level of managers. This practice still continues and while there are still some possible "pockets of bliss" to be found at SAIT, the overall environment there is one of fear and frustration under the current leadership.
Pros
Great view of the city
Cons
Poisonus work enviornoment
Senior Management Only Concerned With Building Empires
Manager, Health, Safety & Environment Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2018
The SAIT I left is not the one I joined. I was made audience to the disintegration of an excellent talented management because they chose to voice opinions learned from decades of service to a director that showed little in the way of knowledge, skills or abilities. Can't and won't recommend it as a place to work
full time work without benifits for years on end
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 June 2018
SAIT can divide the work of contract employees between different types of contracts to avoid the union requirements for benefits. They will also 'encourage' casual instructors to incorporate so that union limits to hours worked without benefits do not apply. The incorporated instructors receive the same pay rate as casual employees; they do it so that they will be assigned more teaching hours.
There are instructors who have been working without benefits for decades...usually in the more "pink collar" educational programs.
No longer the place it used to be...a lot of unhappy people
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2018
Great place and culture but has changed into a $$$ focus...layoffs everywhere. A lot of previously happy people not so anymore!! Lots of people moving on.
Pros
Used to be great place...gone downhill...poor Management.
Cons
Employees treated poorly
Overall a good place to work.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary Canada5 April 2018
SAIT is a workplace where your manager makes it a good or a bad place to work, like everywhere else. Some departments have great managers that make the job a joy, and others do not have great managers making the job a drudge. So, my advice to you would be to find out something about the manager before you get hired.
Pros
Not forced to stay on campus in your off hours.
Cons
Very reluctant to give raises.
4TH class lab experience
4th Class Power Engineer lab Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 December 2018
Intended a comprehensive power engineering lab after completing power engineering theory courses to gain six months of valuable hands-on experience for my 4th class ticket.
Pros
Great instructors, Jim and Dale with a lot of experince
Cons
Working during evening and some nights to Cover my bills
Architectural Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2017
SAIT Polytechnic has a very good reputation as an employer with extremely good benefits packages as well as competitive work environments. Working at SAIT was definitely one of the highlights in my career because of the work/life balance.
A higher education establishment
Business Instructor (Project Contract) (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB27 August 2018
SAIT generally offers wide range of programs from academic to vocational. However, certainly within the corporate training area programs are not well organized and communication with instructors is poor.
Great place to work!
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 May 2014
My experience working at SAIT was the best work experience I have ever had. I don't view my role at SAIT as work - I view it as part of my career. I enjoy working at SAIT because I am pushed to my limits, by limits I mean I am given the opportunity to utilize my skills and successfully perform with the support of our management team.
Pros
My boss was very motivational, inspiring, and wise. I enjoyed the work environment and culture of our department.
Cons
None, other than the cold weather in Alberta.
Great work/life balance and benefits
Manager, Project and Change Management (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 April 2017
Overall a great place to work. The organisation struggles with positive culture and collaboration. There are eight Schools and many departments. Benefits include Manulife dental and health, health spending account, and 11 flex days on top of 4 weeks vacation. Christmas and New Years is paid time off.
Pros
4 weeks holidays to start
Cons
Hard to advance your career
Good benefits for a price
Corporate Reporting Accountant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 November 2017
The best part of working at SAIT is the great benefits. Most positions start with 3 weeks vacation and 4 weeks to start for middle to upper positions. Employer paid health premiums with a health spending account. Generous flex day program and up to 10 special days off for things such as family emergencies, exam days, or other extenuating circumstances.
The price for these great benefits is that management is terrible. They do not care about their staff and will try to get as much out of you for as little as possible. As a large portion of the positions are part of the union there are certain standards, but management puts so much pressure and makes threats if you don't put in the overtime you may not be here next month. Everyone is very fake and puts on a good face for the public, but those of us in the background are getting beat on.
As a member of the finance team there are certain times of the year where timelines are very tight. Due to this, management expects you to work on the weekends and come in on holidays and make no effort to compensate or appreciate the extra work. They also beat on you for not doing good enough work, but we always have a clean audit every year from the OAG.
This is a terrible place to work - at least in finance - if you respect yourself and want to be appreciated for your hard work.
Benefits
Cons
makes us to be more familar with work site
Pre-apprentice plumbing (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 July 2018
I have got more experiences like how to cut pipes with measuring inches and making joints. And team work with 18 persons and it is only for training and now almost I did it so now I am for looking jobs.
Fun workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 May 2016
provide general administrative and clerical support including mailing,scanning, faxing and copying to management
maintain electronic and hard copy filing system
open, sort and distribute incoming correspondence
perform data entry and scan documents
manage calendar for Managing Director
assist in resolving any administrative problems
run company’s errands to post office and office supply store
answer calls from customers regarding their inquiries
prepare and modify documents including correspondence, reports, drafts, memos and emails
schedule and coordinate meetings, appointments and travel arrangements for Managers
maintain office supplies for department
Pros
Free Lunches
Great environment conditions
Trainee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 June 2018
It is a great time to work as a Fourth class power engineer trainee in SAIT. working Environment is very good and the instructors are so experienced. i learnt very much about boiler operation from here.
Stimulating work place enjoyed working with my colleagues.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2014
I really liked working in an educational environment. I found it to be very stimulating and I kept learning which is something that is very important to me. I liked the people I worked with although I found the students to be a challenge. They were treated too much like consumers and not like students and I think that this is inappropriate. I do agree that we need to meet all types of learning styles and cultures but we have to also have a strict code whereby the students show RESPECT for their instructors.
I think that SAIT is doing their students a disservice by keeping most of its instructors on contracts without the ability to get permanent employment, no benefits, no vacation pay, no continuing education courses and ability to take workshops offered to permanent employees. Salary was lower than the going rate for my profession.
The part of my job I enjoyed most was witnessing the growth of my students.
Pros
stimulating work environment
Cons
complete lack of consideration and respect by managment
Leadership between business units do not cooperate.
Manager, Technical Service/Information Systems (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 January 2018
Strife between the Academic Division and Corporate Division has existed for many years. Senior Leadership has failed to address this challenge, placing employee against employee for their career opportunities.
Would not recommend anyone to work here
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 April 2016
You want to make a difference? Your ideas won't be heard and your hard work will not be recognized. They say they encourage you to move around the organization but are not supportive. Internal politics. Unhealthy work environment. Manipulative and micro management. Most managers need formal management training or should not be in leadership roles. Pay is not worth the work!
Pros
Gained post secondary work experience
Cons
Poor interview experience, poor mgt, poor pay
Terrible Experience
Admin (Former Employee) –  calgary2 June 2014
Not sure if SAIT has a quota for hiring SAIT graduates in order for them to have numbers that prove they do hire them and then in a couple of days "off-load' them due to unspecified reasons but this organization does not care about their employees and new hires. In addition to no support from management there is absolutely no direction and training involved for new hires, this is a great example of how an organization and its management sets people up for failure.
Pros
salary
Cons
management, training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SAIT. Our community is ready to answer.