Saint Mary's University Employee Reviews

Summer Custodian
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 April 2018
Working with Saint Mary's University Facilities Department has been a interesting learning experience that if pursued further could have offered further advancement in the department. The attitude of management was not so pleasing but was workable under the circumstances.
Academic
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS10 April 2018
• Teaching assistant for introductory and intermediate accounting & corporate finance
• Reviewed student assignments with compliance to university’s academic policies
• Tutored lab classes where I helped and guided student for improvement with course work
• Marked students’ assignments and projects with excellent accuracy, integrity and responsibility
• Posted and prepared feedbacks and statistics on students’ work before tight deadlines
Pros
Good Faculty
Cons
Productive and easy going place to work
Residence Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 March 2018
The atmosphere is very friendly. The university is a great place to work and a great place to get your starter job right out of college. I would recommend any recent graduate to work there.
fun and loving workplace
Teaching Assistant, Financial Accounting (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 March 2018
i just enjoy being a marker because i get to check students assignments and see their improvement over the course term. it gives me a sense of achievement as i am helping students to realize their potential.
Pros
networking with university professors
University job
IT Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 February 2018
Typical university/on campus employment. Pretty flexible with shifts and hours of work. Pay is basically a dollar or 2 above minnimum wage. Average management.
It was just a TA job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 November 2017
It was just a TA job
I marked lab reports and gave them back to the professor. There's not much to say about this job. Students with a good grade in chemistry can mark lab reports for one term.
Student at SMU.
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 October 2017
Great university, with a great culture. Lots of opportunities to explore and engage in the clubs and societies on campus. SMU brings a work play culture to university.
A terrible place to work
Staff (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 October 2017
Management is terrible and underqualified. The Human Resouce department is useless and the salaries (unless you are a professor and/or director) are below average. Avoid Saint Mary's University.
Pros
Some good people
check answer key
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 October 2017
check answer before marking is the lesson I learnt from it. when you have 200 students assignments to mark, using careful attention to detail and employed fairness in marking, you have to make sure that the answer key is correct
Low pace, average
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, Nova Scotia25 September 2017
I was a PhD student while I worked there. If you are lucky, you find good colleagues. The Business department does not seem a great place to work. You can be fairly independent as a part-time professor, so it is not a problem to work there.
Pros
location
get to know people
Personal tutor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 August 2017
Need to be patient because some students because they are very demanding.
Need a lot of time to make them understand and correct there pronunciation.
Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS9 July 2017
Made some extra money as a student, decent work hours. However, workload varies greatly depending on the professor. Workload increases around exam time.
Pros
money
Cons
workload
Good students but bad apple prof and admin
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS25 May 2017
Work was alright, good people, good atmosphere BUT really horrible admin and a few bad profs, especially microbio. Really small minded place, my faculty (Bio) not so good but geology and business are great!.
Pros
Good cross section of interesting people
Cons
Nightmare to deal with their corrupt system
Engaging work environment with opportunities to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 May 2017
The two positions I held with Saint Mary's University, one as a TA and another as an RA, were both great. My bosses were both kind and understanding about my busy family/student life. Both positions held something new for me as well: teaching is something I find both rewarding and engaging, while being an RA at the Abbie Lane Memorial Hospital taught me about attention to detail and helped me consolidate information I was learning from my courses on a very practical level.
Pros
Empathetic employers
Overall a positive experience
SMUSA Verified Tutor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 April 2017
Diverse community. Well-rounded experience There is a definite sense of belonging here. Halifax is also a great place to work in and commute to, and the bus routes are comprehensive, so it makes it easier to get to work if you live off campus.
Great Student Positions
Multiple Positions (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 April 2017
I have done multiple jobs while at Saint Mary's. The pay is great and everyone I have worked with is easy to approach. Since these were campus jobs, staff was always understanding when exams and papers started getting heavy. Would suggest a job through Saint Mary's to any current students.
Flexible and fun work environment
Depart. of Finance and Management Science (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 March 2017
I absolutely enjoyed my time as a teaching and research assistant. The professors that I got to work with were always helpful and it gave me a lot of flexibility to manage my studies while earning some money.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
no career advancement in this position
Fun workplace while helping students with their studies
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS31 January 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to talk to students and help them develop lab skills and chemistry experience. You did not however get any say in who you were a teaching assistant for, just which days worked for you.
Pros
Talking to people
work from home
STUDENT MARKETING INTERN (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS18 January 2017
I was working online and submitted my reports to my program cordinator. Saint Mary University is one of the renowned university in Atlantic Canada and I am so honored to be working as an intern here.
Pros
Working online. No office hours
Cons
Limited scope
It was a good place to work
RESIDENCE SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS3 January 2017
During my work duration I was pretty much satisfied with everything that I used to learn from there. Everyday I used to meet new people with different thinking that helped me gain my experience. The hardest part of my job would be settling a fight. The ambience at my work place was great as all my co-workers were fun.
Pros
Paid breaks, hours as per requirement
Cons
busy hours