Saint Mary's University

Saint Mary's University Employee Reviews

Canada81 reviews

Great people to work for

Worked with 5 different professors during my university years and pretty much did all the grading and ran the workshops. It was a great experience, helped me overcome my public speaking anxiety and became a very good public speaker

Productive and fun place to work

It was a pleasant working experience over there. Not very stressful along with the relaxing city and environment. Colleagues are friendly and easing-going

Convenient place to work

A very convenient place to work if you are a student. There are a lot of opportunities available if you look for them. I had a fairly good experience, but I think it can depend more on your boss.

Nice place to work as a Student

I worked since the second semester to graduation, I LOVED working there with different departments and professors. Everyone was highly-educated and respectful, so it was easy to solve conflicts. Students were friendly to each other. However, Slow and LOW pays! They delayed payments for one month at least and this is due to the "normal" process, if you complain, everyone would say "sorry" but do nothing, they did not prioritize student workers! Working on campus is great on your resume, but be careful.

Pros

everyone was nice

Cons

low and delayed payments

It's pretty much great!

I had an excellent instructor I was working with, easy going and makes the job easy despite the fact there is lot of work to do. I was great overall to work at saint Mary's university.!

Amazing university

I personally love Saint Mary's University. Working there along side teachers as a TA as well as a tutor for the French department was the highlight of my 4 years undergrad. Very nice work environment, they offer a lot of support for their student in the Faculty of Arts department especially the FRENCH department. They are both friendly and serious. Love it!

Run for the hills! Students and staff both!

This place is the worst I’ve ever worked at. The pay is deplorable, paying just $16 an hour for a skilled admin. Directors are an absolute joke. On the flip side, they pay these bozos &100k+ a year. So many chiefs barely any workers. One of the directors I worked for would come back from meetings and give me all of the things that she was told to do. She was so rotten. Terrible pay, mediocre benefits, and terrible, awful people to work with. What a mess!

Pros

You got off a half hour early in the summer.

Cons

Everything else.

Excellent environent

I have benefited in many ways working at Saint Mary's University. They are great people. I learned personal and professional development skills. They will stay with me forever.

Hardest part of the Job

Typical with major institutions, the challenge of impacting and influencing while being an Intraprenuer. Innovation is typically stifled due to bureaucracy.

Very poor management, lousy pay

Negative work environment and low paying jobs. Too many long-term staff and managers who were not even qualified for their positions, they advanced just because they had worked there so many years. Staff and management were not helpful and treated one another badly.

Pros

Helping students

Cons

Low pay and no respect

job

good work environment and a lovely staff to help when you need people anything. The work is fast-paced and you would require a lot of training. No long breaks

Fun and helping others learn

Tasked with coordination and execution of daily activities Facilitated athletic activities and drills for students Provided feedback to young athletes and update parents on skill development

Creative environment, but student TAs aren't paid well

As a student TA or research assistant, you will not be paid well. However, the work culture is great and very open to creative thought. I learned a lot.

Pros

Good work/life balance

Cons

Poor pay

I love Saint Mary's University

Beautiful neighborhood. Extremely friendly staff. Awesome experience. Volunteering is the most enjoyable part. Studying & preparing for exams is the hardest part. Multicultural !!!

Pros

Free events

Cons

increased tuition

Great environment

A quiet space to work, with lots of support in terms of reference material to work with. As a working student, they are understanding of multiple commitments and provide sufficient time to finish a job.

parts advisor and driver

Great work environment, work together as teams, our main objective is to make the customer happy in a safe and healthy environment. go above and beyond to meet our customers expectations

A friendly face kind of place!

Lovely place to work. Friendly and flexible. Lots of opportunities for undergraduate students, graduate students, as well. It is important to make connections in and around the university, however, as sometimes it is not directly apparent what opportunities may be available to you. Also : Be sure to ask about schedule flexibility if you are a student!

Pros

Networking, Staff Activities and Lunches, Flexible Schedules for Students

Job at Saint Mary's

Getting to learn good communication skills and builds in confidence and amazing working skills. The management is quite well worked up. Hardest part of the job is actually nothing.

Pros

Free chocolates

Cons

Less Hours

A well rounded student job

Evening work, fun environment, good culture and interesting conversations that would be witnessed on a daily basis. The goal was to make money, but as well as building relationships with alumni.

Pros

Snacks and bonuses

Cons

Sad stories from alumni

Does not value student employees

Despite employing students to fulfill a variety of roles on campus, Saint Mary's University does not dependably compensate student employees. There are continuous issues with payroll and excuses made when student employees fail to receive their pay when they are meant to, despite filling their paperwork on time. There is also no job security for student employees as positions are always finite in duration, leaving students scrambling to find employment each academic year. However, working on campus is convenient as it does cut down on the work-to-school commute.

Pros

No commuting between work and school

Cons

You may not get paid

It was a fun workplace so I liked it.

I think it was fun to work with the people over there. A lot of people came in every day for their daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I learned how to communicate with people and handled the cash register. The management was very lenient to us students for our scheduling.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Saint Mary's University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2