SAIL Employee Reviews

Poor Management at all levels
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON9 April 2019
Management chooses to listen to customer opinions exclusively rather than verifying with employees. Favouritism between departments - some departments get more slack to do what they want while others get into trouble for taking a thirty-second break after restocking the entirety of the departments. Management does not defend employees when customers shout at them, choosing to focus on a customer relationship rather than the mental wellbeing of their employees. Little to no understanding of dealing with mental health issues such as panic attacks that can result from being understaffed during peak times. Refuse to hire security for shrink prevention choosing to place employees at risk in an attempt to stop theft and then are disappointed when things are still stolen. Complete invasive bag, coat, and locker checks when leaving the store for a break and shift change.
Pros
Good break room, discounted equipment
Cons
Bad management, busy periods, physically intensive
Good first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON19 March 2019
Nice place to work in terms of benefits and discounts, staff is amazing to work with but management have no clue how to run a business or communicate. What I saw was if you are in bed (literally) with management you get to hangout all day in their office as opposed to actually working on the floor. I enjoyed working here, the pay is minimum wage which is okay but the discounts compensate. For a first job to have in your resume I would recommend SAIL for sure, do they live by their values as per the employee hand book?...hardly. If you get on the wrong side they literally yell at you? Who does that in this day and age.
Pros
Discounts, colleagues and one hour lunch on the weekdays
Cons
Management and no hours
fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON18 December 2018
working for sail was great, management was personable and respected you, the benefits are great, and its a good retail job.I learned ho to handle customer issues and a lot of warranty processing, The culture at Sail is adventurous and kind, full of passionate individuals who care about what they do
Pros
discount
Cons
retail life
Fun workplace. Very relaxing if work is completed first.
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON12 December 2018
Getting along with co-workers makes the culture of the store a lot better. Management is great very approachable. Always learning something new from new products, product knowledge session with other company reps, and customers.
Great staff with lots of product knowledge and experience in the outdoors
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON14 November 2018
I love working for sail, the staff are lots of fun and very adventurous. A very friendly and supportive environment to work in. It is fun working in a store that sells lots of outdoor equipment, especially when you love the outdoors.
Warehouse Clerk
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON9 November 2018
I really liked the workplace environment. I learned a lot about the outdoors and there were a lot of staff activities. The workplace culture was good.
Pros
BBQ days
Cons
mandatory training nights
Its a fine place to work if you're passionate about the outdoors
HUNTING DEPARTMENT SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON29 October 2018
I enjoyed my short time at SAIL. I was able to meet many like minded people and was supported by them. Not everyone is passionate about the department they work in but they're still lovely people.
Good environment but inefficent
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  ottawa11 October 2018
Staff is really nice, most are knowledgeable and we all share a love for the outdoors.

My issues are with the outdatedness of the company.
- terrible product search program - slow and frustrating
- understaffed, especially during high season constant divide between cleaning and helping. there should be people that just clean.
- outdated scheduling, schedules are ONLY posted in the backroom. they say this is for privacy... but it's just outdated there are many programs that highlight privacy and allow your schedule privately emailed to the individual.
- You have to go online and print your own cheque which cannot for many e-deposits services be validated. Outdated - why not e-deposit...
- during my time there, I had little to know pk training unless it was a company rep that came... but until that time I just kind of had to wing it..
Pros
steady schedule, nice staff, discount, employee snack area, laid back
Cons
lack of focus on product knowledge
Horrible
Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 September 2018
Terrible management, posess no empathy. Insensitive to employees feelings and thoughts, issues are brushed under the rug or ignored simply because store manager is afraid to deal with any conflict. Cheap! Nothing gets fixed properly, props all from dollar store. Huge lack of communication and unrealistic “chain of command” does not work. Management is allowed to treat employees horribly especially if not a “favourite”, but if anyone speaks up for themselves they are coined as “negative” and is ignored and mistreated until employee eventually leaves. There is no cross training allowed in other departments but are expected to lead customers to other store areas and help. Cut backs are huge! Low staff ratio to size of store but are expected to watch for theives, great and help all customers, plus get all our work done. Doesn’t work! Basically there is a huge lack of respect from upper management and in turn makes employees not care. Low morale, company events receive low participation and management doesn’t get it. The environment is a direct result of their leadership! Zero respect! Zero appreciation!
Pros
Discount. Freebies unless stolen from store manager
Cons
Everything else
Good first job to gain retail experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON10 September 2018
Pros
-good environment
-great team
-flexible schedule
-great work/life balance
-discount on clothes

Cons
-management is constantly changing
-turnover rate is high
Enjoyable place to work, but overall better environment is needed!
Cashier / Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON7 July 2018
A typical day at work consisted of a mix between a high and low volume environment. The customers and work flow are always enjoyable, but management and employee friendliness could be worked on.
Wouldn’t reccomend.
Sales employee (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON16 June 2018
I can’t say I’d recommend working here. Balancing personal life and this job is challenging since there seems to be a lot of scheduling conflicts, plus long, awkward hours. Management doesn’t even bother to get to know employees and their management style seems to lean towards instilling fear in workers.

There’s a lot of store theft and employees are generally blamed for it. It’s silly though, because this location is short staffed and has very little floor coverage. Plus they pay minimum wage, so why would an employee even care if something is stolen, especially if store managers show minimal interest in them all together.

I balance multiple jobs and management knows that but didn’t acknowledge or even attempt to find terms that we could both agree on.

I was also unsettled by some borderline racist comments the store managers made.

I would suggest working for a company that cares about its employees and acts professionally. Not here.
Pros
Free stuff from PKs
Cons
Work/life balance, low wage, poor store management, pretty much everything
It was good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 April 2018
Its a great place to work at if you have an interest in the outdoors, nautical/winter sports, hunting/fishing. The employees are great, they make great friends.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 March 2018
Amazing place to work with amazing employees. Very supportive management who understand their employees needs. Very outgoing place to work, awesome work environment. I honestly cannot say enough amazing things about this place.
super
Fishing department sales associate (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC7 February 2018
super emploi j'ai adoré travailler pour eux. je conseille vivement
stimulating work environment
Warehouse Employee (Former Employee) –  Brossard, QC1 January 2018
Working at Sail allows outdoor enthusiast to pursue their passions and work in a field that they truly enjoy. Friendly staff and good work environment
Great work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON3 October 2017
Job was never stressful, but it does get busy in winter seasons. There's always something to learn with the technology in jackets, shoes, tents, and many other products
Worst Job
Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON24 July 2017
There are many things I can say about Sail and my experience there but it all gets summed up to a terrible job and a terrible experience. The management was horrible and not organized at all and quite frankly never managed. There were constantly associates standing around and no one cared. There is a HUGE lack of respect from both sides. Management doesnt give it so associates dont give it back. The communication is rediculous. There are so many asssociats that want to leave and are not happy working there. There have been several HR complaints and nothing comes of it. These are just a few of the things that made this experience so horrible. This company over charges for their products and keeps things for years until it sells. They are very cheap when it comes to fixing things in the store (usually gets left or done in the cheapest way) or display props (purchased mostly from the dollar store). The way it is run is very bad (management, shipments, clearance, stock levels, pricing etc.) The only good thing I can say about this company is that the discount is good and fellow associates were nice. I wouldn't reccommend this company unless you are looking for a very relaxed no one cares kind of job where there is no chance of moving up in the company.
Pros
Discount, friendly colleagues
Cons
No movement, bad management, no respect, no communication, bad company standards etc.
Not Bad, Not the Greatest
Fishing Associate (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 July 2017
I worked at SAIL for 3.5 yrs. No chance of advancement. Raises were minimal. Working conditions were good, My department manager was great to work for. Fellow employees were great to work with. BUT, Sail had many employee turn overs. Great for students as a part time job till they continued their education or filled time before starting a career. For Full time employees trying to make a living, not so good.
Pros
Worked inside, air conditioned.
Cons
low wages
Fun Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON5 April 2017
Productive work environment with successful morals of how to run a business. Fun environment to work in with acceptable salaries and benefits. Great prices and lots of diversity in products!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SAIL. Our community is ready to answer.