SAIL

SAIL Employee Reviews

Canada69 reviews
Holiday cashiers are fully trained before interacting with customers solo. The team at the front of store are super supportive and will do their best to help you while you learn.
Management were a pleasure to work for and would check in on you throughout your contract term.

Remembering the full check-out process takes some time, especially during holiday season when customers just want to get in and out as quickly as possible.
Overall positive experience despite HR jumping to conclusions on rumours which ultimately get proven false.

Good management team. However HR will bump heads with store heads if they don't do things their way. Despite overwhelming success by store.
The typical day at work is that you would show up to your shift and management would usually tell you a goal or something they want you to work on. The training process is as you go.
The clothing department is mainly individual work. The workers are to focus on providing exceptional customer service, and are expected to maintain the SAIL standards while interacting with all customers. The team is friendly and management will get involved (if the need arises).
A good place to work because the people you work with end up being really cool and you share similar interests but the management sucks and you won't get promoted very often even when you are one of the hardest workers.
The managers are mostly awesome people. The employees are mostly awesome people. Awesome people shop there. There is a family-like atmosphere that makes the job one that you want to go to. The stress is low when the customers are slowly coming in but gets fun and a little hectic when they come in waves. Awesome place to work!
while working at Sail, the company and co workers all where bad, they had been talking bad about other co workers as well as the managers. there are a couple nice people at Sail but the rest bashes your name behind your back. it's not okay for a company that hired you for a reason belittles your name like that. I would not recommend working there at all. great experience to know what's it's like to figure out what kind of store it is. but horrible at communication with staffs. they change your schedule multiple times without acknowledging you.
yet they want to keep hiring new people, leaving many with little to no hours to live on.

keep things tidy, make sure you know about the products, fit suggestions to their needs. staff is friendly enough, no commission so nobody has to fight for sales.
Une très belle équipe dans un environnement les plus agréable à y travailler.
C'était une belle expérience que je garde en mémoire et peut-être un jour j'y retournerai.
At first working at SAIL was an enjoyable experience, my coworkers were amazing and the management was good at the start. After 3 months in my department manager became very rude, and would point me out and make fun of me to other coworkers, my manager would talk behind my back, and belittle me during my shift. They would make rude and unnecessary comments that were not related to work at all. When I first applied they told me any day I needed off that were not busy holiday days (i.e Black Friday, Christmas, etc) they would not hesitate and allow to have that personal day. But instead they would always deny my request, they did not hold to their word. The whole management would belittle and talk behind your back. The management was also very sexist and would allow one gender more leniency than the other. When it came to disciplinary actions, if they do not like you, you would be the example, whereas if you are liked everything would slip under the rug. Also, even some of the managers do not follow the code of conduct when it comes to other employees, and allow their feelings to get in the way of the work capabilities which is unprofessional. In all, my coworkers and the customers was the only good experience I had working there, but the managers made my experience terrible to a point where I would rethink working there everyday.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at SAIL?
I worked at Sail for about 4 years. I left due to how stressful it got working there, poor management, conflicts of interest between employee and managers, and just overall not making it an enjoyable place to work. At the beginning I enjoyed going to work but after awhile it become dreadful.. there is a lot of favoritism that takes place where if you are well liked you will spend a shift in the managers office drinking espresso. There was always bad talk coming from managers about employees which is not professional in any way. I'm glad I left because there is a lot of stuff head office should know that took place there but never will know.
Good job as a cashier although slightly boring at times when not busy. Good supervisors and assisted when anything was needed, other staff members were nice.
Sail Cambridge has so much potential to be a top dog in the outdoor retail industry even with its local competitors such as MEC and Atmosphere being located so close. However the lack of leadership qualities in majority of their management team has created an incredibly divisive and toxic environment. Sail Cambridge seems to have an "us versus them" mentality with their managers rather than using their position to mentor and develop a strong and experienced sales team (as outlined by their new 'profiles for success').

Management decides to spend their time disciplining staff, passing around false information, speaking in a condescending manner and holding minimum wage employees accountable for the success or failure of the business with little to zero training. They do not value their employees and do not display any desire to keep them, or build them into a stronger staff team. The store manager is known to be out of touch with his sales staff, and is the epitome of a hands-off manager. When delivering discipline has screamed at employees at a volume their co-workers could hear through a closed door and a wall.

They have an incredibly passionate and experienced sales team that really drive their business! However due to the low turnover rate, especially among their full-time employees, head office and the District manager neglect complaints about management and the incredibly low morale in the store.

This building has an incredibly negative energy.

KPI numbers are thrown around every morning with no plan or strategy as to how improve. The restructure into a more
 - more...
Pros
Great discount, like minded coworkers, passionate sales staff
Cons
Poor management, discipline heavy, no leadership qualities among store/assistant store management, toxic environment, low wages.
There is little to no job advancement with this company. Hour cutting and minimal wage does not make this job a long term commitment.
The perks are what most employees stick around for.

Expect to stay in the same role with little pay.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No room to grow or make more money
It's not a bad place to work at if your goal is to move up the ladder b/c there's a high turnover rate at the store that I work at. it was a great place to work at when I first started but head office has made some changes which are not employees friendly. There's always some drama within the store every year without fail. I've been there for a while due to school so I was able to work minimal hours. They try to be very understanding to part timers and give them the time off that you ask for. Like I said, we've had some changes that have made us, employees, less happy and ready to work. They expect a lot (selling their VIP program by asking the customers lots of intrusive questions) but you get paid minimum wage. Also, expect a mandatory store wide meeting 2x a year and mandatory training for 3 hours 3x a year. we used to get free dinner/lunch during those meetings and whenever it was expected to be busy during that day (black Friday, Boxing day, Christmas Eve, etc) but that changed to us getting our own lunch and/or dinner.
Pros
not a lot of hours to give around.
Cons
new management, getting basically frisked whenever you're leaving the store (lunch, smoke break, leaving for the day), can get written up for silly things (for going to the washroom).
If you're interested in great retail experience, SAIL provides training in the workplace with staff and third party organization. Great employee discounts.
Good place to work if you love the outdoors! Flexible with schedules especially if you are in school. Everyone is pretty chill and welcoming at Sail!!
Outstanding care for students and understanding their busy schedules. Worked with students to figure out a schedule that was particular to working around classes.
Management chooses to listen to customer opinions exclusively rather than verifying with employees. Favouritism between departments - some departments get more slack to do what they want while others get into trouble for taking a thirty-second break after restocking the entirety of the departments. Management does not defend employees when customers shout at them, choosing to focus on a customer relationship rather than the mental wellbeing of their employees. Little to no understanding of dealing with mental health issues such as panic attacks that can result from being understaffed during peak times. Refuse to hire security for shrink prevention choosing to place employees at risk in an attempt to stop theft and then are disappointed when things are still stolen. Complete invasive bag, coat, and locker checks when leaving the store for a break and shift change.
Pros
Good break room, discounted equipment
Cons
Bad management, busy periods, physically intensive
Nice place to work in terms of benefits and discounts, staff is amazing to work with but management have no clue how to run a business or communicate. What I saw was if you are in bed (literally) with management you get to hangout all day in their office as opposed to actually working on the floor. I enjoyed working here, the pay is minimum wage which is okay but the discounts compensate. For a first job to have in your resume I would recommend SAIL for sure, do they live by their values as per the employee hand book?...hardly. If you get on the wrong side they literally yell at you? Who does that in this day and age.
Pros
Discounts, colleagues and one hour lunch on the weekdays
Cons
Management and no hours
working for sail was great, management was personable and respected you, the benefits are great, and its a good retail job.I learned ho to handle customer issues and a lot of warranty processing, The culture at Sail is adventurous and kind, full of passionate individuals who care about what they do
Pros
discount
Cons
retail life