SAIL Employee Reviews

Wouldn’t reccomend.
Sales employee (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON16 June 2018
I can’t say I’d recommend working here. Balancing personal life and this job is challenging since there seems to be a lot of scheduling conflicts, plus long, awkward hours. Management doesn’t even bother to get to know employees and their management style seems to lean towards instilling fear in workers.

There’s a lot of store theft and employees are generally blamed for it. It’s silly though, because this location is short staffed and has very little floor coverage. Plus they pay minimum wage, so why would an employee even care if something is stolen, especially if store managers show minimal interest in them all together.

I balance multiple jobs and management knows that but didn’t acknowledge or even attempt to find terms that we could both agree on.

I was also unsettled by some borderline racist comments the store managers made.

I would suggest working for a company that cares about its employees and acts professionally. Not here.
Pros
Free stuff from PKs
Cons
Work/life balance, low wage, poor store management, pretty much everything
It was good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 April 2018
Its a great place to work at if you have an interest in the outdoors, nautical/winter sports, hunting/fishing. The employees are great, they make great friends.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 March 2018
Amazing place to work with amazing employees. Very supportive management who understand their employees needs. Very outgoing place to work, awesome work environment. I honestly cannot say enough amazing things about this place.
super
Fishing department sales associate (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC7 February 2018
super emploi j'ai adoré travailler pour eux. je conseille vivement
stimulating work environment
Warehouse Employee (Former Employee) –  Brossard, QC1 January 2018
Working at Sail allows outdoor enthusiast to pursue their passions and work in a field that they truly enjoy. Friendly staff and good work environment
Great work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON3 October 2017
Job was never stressful, but it does get busy in winter seasons. There's always something to learn with the technology in jackets, shoes, tents, and many other products
Worst Job
Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON24 July 2017
There are many things I can say about Sail and my experience there but it all gets summed up to a terrible job and a terrible experience. The management was horrible and not organized at all and quite frankly never managed. There were constantly associates standing around and no one cared. There is a HUGE lack of respect from both sides. Management doesnt give it so associates dont give it back. The communication is rediculous. There are so many asssociats that want to leave and are not happy working there. There have been several HR complaints and nothing comes of it. These are just a few of the things that made this experience so horrible. This company over charges for their products and keeps things for years until it sells. They are very cheap when it comes to fixing things in the store (usually gets left or done in the cheapest way) or display props (purchased mostly from the dollar store). The way it is run is very bad (management, shipments, clearance, stock levels, pricing etc.) The only good thing I can say about this company is that the discount is good and fellow associates were nice. I wouldn't reccommend this company unless you are looking for a very relaxed no one cares kind of job where there is no chance of moving up in the company.
Pros
Discount, friendly colleagues
Cons
No movement, bad management, no respect, no communication, bad company standards etc.
Not Bad, Not the Greatest
Fishing Associate (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 July 2017
I worked at SAIL for 3.5 yrs. No chance of advancement. Raises were minimal. Working conditions were good, My department manager was great to work for. Fellow employees were great to work with. BUT, Sail had many employee turn overs. Great for students as a part time job till they continued their education or filled time before starting a career. For Full time employees trying to make a living, not so good.
Pros
Worked inside, air conditioned.
Cons
low wages
Fun Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON5 April 2017
Productive work environment with successful morals of how to run a business. Fun environment to work in with acceptable salaries and benefits. Great prices and lots of diversity in products!
Great Place to Work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON2 January 2017
As far as part-time jobs go this one is great! Co-workers are incredibly friendly, management is always looking out for you. When you work here you really feel like a part of the team!

As a cashier the hardest part of this job would be getting a hold of another department for knowledge, which can sometimes take a bit of time because they are busy with customers. Other then that its awesome.

Best part of my job would be asking people about their planned trips and adventures and learning about some of the activities our customers do!

Want to know more about SAIL?

Ask a question
Sail is good
Warehouse Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 December 2016
Its Good, fun and exciting people are good management are good, no complaints. Good items and fun items. Understandable and funny.
Mostly fun work environment
Cash Team Lead/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON2 December 2016
obviously room to improve, but overall a great place to work. Aside from the pay. Plenty of opportunity to grow within the company.
Pros
fun people, room to grow within the company
Cons
long hours and pay is low
Fun, safe, workplace, with many intelligible coworkers and a great discount!
Sales Professional - Footwear Department (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON23 August 2016
I have very much enjoyed my time at Sail. I have many likeminded coworkers who all share an interest in the department they happen to be in. Sail employs many that are proficient in excellent customer service, including myself, and that makes for a strong team and enjoyable work environment. While at Sail, I have learned a great deal of information regarding my position in footwear and I have also been given some information from other departments thanks to my coworkers. The most enjoyable parts of this job are definitely the people I have spent the past year getting to know, the customer service I have excelled in, and the discount we are given for working within the company. The hardest part of the job for me personally was the lack of reliability for hours. Working part time, I couldn't always rely on getting a decent amount of hours.
Pros
The Discount
Cons
Terrible Management, high turnover.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 August 2016
Working at SAIL was very interesting. The work environment was a family setting. Team members respected eachother and the atmosphere was overall great.

However, the cashier's manager was very strict, close minded, and rude. She had terrible customer service skills and lacked the ability to have a normal conversation. She didn't care about personal issues when I worked there. She didnt like working with men. She fired most of us and kept all the females (even though they obtain the high numbers males got)

My VIP numbers were the best on the team, yet that didn't matter. I was fired because I didn't "fit in".

They don't care about their employees.
Pros
Friendly team
Cons
Terrible management
Sail is a reliable fun workplace. Great staff to work with, its always enjoyable, but also hardworking employees.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON5 July 2016
On a typical day at Sail, I would stock the floor as well as re merchandise a few aisles. I learned how to become better at visual merchandising as well as I grew my knowledge in the outdoors. The management as well as my co-workers are all reliable and are never afraid to give a helping hand. I find the hardest part of the job is to re merchandise aisle that you do not have a lot of product for. For example, if I had to re merchandise the freeze dried food aisle and there is not a lot of product I would need to spread product out. The downfall is it looks empty. The most enjoyable part of the day is helping customers finding the exact product they need and seeing them walk out the store with a smile on their face.
My time at Sail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan18 May 2016
Pros; Great team at Sail, made a lot of relationships with fellow co-workers. Meeting customers and learning from them or teaching them was a great experience. Discounts/prostaff deals. SOME managers were friendly and sociable. Benefits.

Cons; Some management were not sociable and would constantly lurk around trying to catch you doing something "bad". Sales are pushed hard to a point of tracking what you sell (non commission job). Can be slow on some days so keep busy for 8 hours facing product, or sweeping if no other tasks are needed. Low pay.

Higher management needs to work a month in the sales environment to see all the product they dont carry that people are wanting.
A functional work place with great product knowledge and activities
Sales Associate/Hunting Department (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 April 2016
Work is fast paste, event full and fulfilling. I've never hunted before, and with this job I've learnt how animals work, how to attract them or repel them. I've learnt how to bring my customer service to another leave and to ensure that the customer not only attains what they are looking for but also have an enjoyable time getting what they want. The management at sails is amazing, they take into account everyday life in and out side of work and help to make it mesh well together.
My co-workers have all answered question that I was confused about, and have helped me understand exactly what I am selling.
The hardest part of the job is to make sure that the customers have exactly what they need when they leave. If we don't have it in stalk, we can either order it in or direct them to exactly where they can find it.
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers and learning from them, they all have different experiences and opinions on merchandise.
Pros
a great disciount
Horrible management, will not work around other jobs and the politics are unrealistic.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON8 April 2016
I worked at Sail for a year i loved it at first as i worked in the hunting department and i learned alot from my coworkers. But then i got moved into the warehouse full time and it went down hill. I was constantly working weekends when other coworkers had every weekend off, i was accused of false statements and they never even gave me a chance to explain. I was harrased twice while working here once by a male employee calling me ugly and another time by a coworkers girl friend who threatened to beat me up if i talked to her boyfriend. Neither time was anything done by the company. And to top it off i was fired because i apparently am a racist. Not a good place to work. You get a review once a year and your lucky if you get a 25 cent raise. Its a joke.
Pros
The discount
Cons
The management
SAIL is a fun, positive place of employment.
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON30 March 2016
A typical day at work consists of greeting customers and giving them the best service and product knowledge possible. This involves finding out the needs and desires of our customers through consistent communication, asking questions and inquiring about each background. Because SAIL is such a huge work environment, it is extremely important to know each department and management team as well as product knowledge. It is an outdoor store so advanced knowledge with regard to outdoor living is required.
Although I do have a vast background related to backpacking, camping, hiking, fishing and outdoor activity, I have learned much more during my experience with SAIL. The management as well as the staff are open and honest. We take pride in working with and assisting one another whenever possible. Not only do we work well together within our work environment, we have created a special bond outside of our work lives through our social committee. We believe that communication, trust and empathy are important aspects to maintain our relationships.
Pros
I have a passion for the outdoors, enjoy learning new places, products, meeting new people
Cons
The most challenging aspect of the job are the hours spent on my feet on the concrete floor. However, I have learned to adapt and thrive in the environment.
Productive exciting work place
PART-TIME SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 February 2016
I loved working at the SAIL Outdoor Store and was completely heartbroken when I discovered my employment was seasonal and I was subsequently laid off. Aside from a few individuals, the co-workers and management were friendly and helpful.
Pros
Being in an environment I had a lot of experience with
Cons
Negative manager

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SAIL. Our community is ready to answer.