Safeway Employee Reviews

Hated it
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 February 2018
Worked for a few months and hours were eliminated completely with no explanation. Attempted many times to find out why but kept getting no answers and was just redirected to other department managers.
good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC7 February 2018
it was a typical day of work easy and slow very boring job not much to do very slow working job i worked in three different departments grocery, produce, and cashier i did my tasks at hand during the day
Sevice Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC6 February 2018
The workplace culture is very friendly every coworker is very helpful when customer or employee needs help to find the item always have an assistant close by.

I learned how to wrap gift basket at florist department and how to write raincheck for item not in the shelve when it is on sale for customer to take it later.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Long Hours
Doesnt respect employees
Courtesy Clerk/ Cashier - Part-time (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK6 February 2018
while working at safeway for more than a year i had asked to switch into a different department multiple times, asking for different departments because i was being told that the departments i was asking for were full. but literally the day after i had asked the manager and he had told me it was full, they hired someone else. That had happened to me twice there. The managers just really disrespect the employees.
What's there to say
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2018
It's Safeway. What are you expecting? Great pay? Great Benefits? Full Time positions?

No what you get is 37.5 hours a week. Bare minimum wage. Random work schedule which you must keep open at all times for those random call ins to work.
Pros
Off chance you might get something free
Cons
Lots
Safeway
Deli Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newton, BC5 February 2018
Safeway is a great to place to work, I have learned a lot from this company over the year I have worked there.i have gone from being a deli clerk and worked myself up to a deli assistant manager.
Had a good table tennis
Warehouseman & Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 February 2018
Over 24 years of service I have met many people and I have learned many thing and moved up from a warehouse man to a supervisor. I am looking to grow into a different role.
Pros
Great people
good workplace.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Canmore, AB1 February 2018
lovely view, lovely staff, hot produce manager, wonderful environment and they have a starbucks! love it and love all my old co workers, miss everyone there!
Great position while you're in school
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 January 2018
Opportunities to move around to different departments and up within the company. Great position to have while in school. Flexible with hours for those with other commitments.
Good
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Neepawa, MB30 January 2018
Good place to work. Easy going staff and good shifts. Compensated for nightime and early morning shifts. Good benefits and fair salary based on hours. Unfoturnate hour cuts periodically
Benefits
Cons
No employee recognition
great staff
Various Roles (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 January 2018
They have hard working staff that try to accomplish a multitude of tasks in a very short time allotted. Can be a very difficult job on the body. Management do not care about the employees, they are more concerned on the bottom line.
Tired
Overnight shelf stocker and overnight team leader (Former Employee) –  Parkgate North Vancouver29 January 2018
I did graveyard shifts for about 8 months here, was promised I would get day shifts if I felt like I couldn't handle nights anymore however when I requested days there were no hours, bummer.
Pros
Descent pay, cool boss
Cons
Management was not efficient
The demand is unrealistic
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 January 2018
most co workers are awesome, the job itself can be fun and can be very challenging, that being said, sometimes the management doesnt give you the tools u need to succeed in your tasks.
benefits
Cons
unrealistic demands
Productive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB26 January 2018
The management is somewhat hard to deal with. The co-workers make it easier to work with however, I just worked as a part-time so my judgement might be different had I been a full-time
Friendly people
Cashier/Bakery Helper (Former Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC25 January 2018
Safeway allows you to expand your range. I started as a cashier and learnt store standards and bakery aswell so you're never bored. Friendly staff and fast training.
Mixed review
Part time / Temp (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC25 January 2018
Excellent training and educational processes, but my location had too many managers and not enough staff, Which puts stress on employees when demands are made from multiple sources, each wanting their job done first. Tried discussing these concerns with management but was ignored then later let go, placing blame on me rather than the disorganization. With that said the company as a whole is good to work for, would have loved to have transferred to another department that was more organized.
Pros
Good work environment, excellent learning potential. decent benefits
Cons
Bad communication, organization and general management.
Learning experience
Meat Clerk and Full (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK24 January 2018
A typical day included of taking a look around at the product that needed to be made, then after seeing what needed to be done you would then go ahead and start on the tasks which would include, cuttings of different meats, seasoning of different products, fileting seafood, helping and serving customers etc.

I learned a lot from the different cuts of meat, to the way you can make different products from chicken or seafood. I learnt on how to deal with different types of customers and how to make sure they were satisfied with my service.

I think the hardest part of the job was learning that each steak has a different cut, for example you would not cut a strip loin steak the same way as a sirloin or a tenderlion.
No room for advancement, poor pay and work environment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 January 2018
Pay is minimal, often dropping below minimum wage after union fees. Benefits are minimal. Employees come and go. Managers don't care what your think. No room for advancement in any area. Employees know more about how the store runs than the managers and managers often have to come to customer service to ask us how to do simple tasks.
Pros
Hours are good when you have seniority of over 1 year
Cons
Job sucks, people suck, no emotional support for front end staff that get yelled at by customers for the managers decisions.
Easy to move up
Cashier/Starbucks Barista Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2018
Very easy environment to move up/advance. Plenty of departments/areas to excel. Friendly environment for the most part. Guaranteed 40 hours a week and full good benefits if full time.
Great place to grow in your workplace and learn
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Castlegar, BC21 January 2018
Safeway is a good job to grow within and use teamwork to get the job done, to make the customer satisfied. My job consists of making sandwiches, making pizzas, doing production, making hot food and salads, and cleaning duties.
Pros
good health benefits
Cons
Can be stressful when unorganized

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.2K