Safeway Employee Reviews

fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB21 March 2018
Everyday working at safeway was great and enjoyful. Helping customers was the best part at work as all customers were friendly. Management was very helpful and understanding.
satisfactory
Courtesy clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 March 2018
satisfactory place to work, would work there again, going through change over to sobeys, looking for something new and consistant after 25 years service
Pros
hours
smell
Fun place to work
Front end Supervisor/ In Store Recutrier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 March 2018
Very welcoming staff, I have learned many things in past as i have grown with in this company. Management is very helpful and is always there to help. Enjoyable job.
Pros
Staff/Pay
Cons
Hard to get full time hours.
great
Supervisor/Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 March 2018
Howlette all look great place to work. The existence of the union really helped deal with management when there was issues that arose. they were very accommodating with scheduling
Fun workplace
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 March 2018
As a service clerk my duties were to pick up the baskets and returning good back to the departments. Nice friendly customers. Good benefits when working at safeway after 1 year
Pros
Benifits are good
Cons
management
Excellent workplace for anyone
Sales and Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 March 2018
I worked for Safeway for four years and it helped me improve skills such as problem solving, customer service, as I had to work in stressful situations. The staff helped me grow as an individual and it was fun working in a positive environment with great management. The company itself is outstanding, the hardest part about the job was being able to satisfy every customer. Regardless, it taught me how to be more empathetic towards other people and genuinely provide good service.
Nothing special just have rest for 15 min and go back to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 March 2018
I have good relationship with my coworker. but the management always are cutting hours which gives me hard time to survive because i am responsible person.that's why i got this certificate to improve my situation and also go back to my field.
Pros
nice and clean kitchen
Cons
short hours
Dont bother
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC14 March 2018
Worst job I have worked at they never trained me properly or even gave me hours Management was always upset or never happy certain staff members were very disrespectful to a older generation
Pros
Cons
no hours no proper training
Great Environment
Gas Bar Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 March 2018
It was an overall great environment to be in. I enjoyed every day I was there! I loved everyone that worked there, we all got along great and I enjoyed the customers that came in!
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Not enough OT
Boring job, but good people
CASHIER/ CUSTOMER SERVICE (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg11 March 2018
Safeway is an alright place to work. The people are great, but the job itself is a little tedious. They give many closing shifts, and make you start early the next morning, which can get VERY exhausting. Also, you don't get a raise once you get promoted to customer service, and I don't think that is very fair since you have 10x the responsibility.
Pros
flexible scheduling, good staff
Cons
boring/ repetitive
average work place, nothing extra ordinary
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 March 2018
Pros: good benefits for full time person
good pay when you reach top rate

cons: union, hardworking people don go up, lazy people with seniority go up the ladder because of the union.
Union will defend lazy workers and also those workers will abuse the system.

In this scenario people who actually deserve to be full time or promoted will have to wait 10 years to become full time.
Excelent enivornment
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2018
I worked with amazing people in Safeway. Excellent environment for anyone. You will feel like you are part of the family in Safeway. The customers are amazing also
Good for highschool Student.
Meat Production Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC9 March 2018
Safeway is a good place to enter the working force if you are someone with limited work experience. Meat department employees are friendly and supportive.
Pros
1 hour of breaks every 8 hour shift.
Cons
A lot of raw meat.
No morale, team work or work ethic
Inventory Control Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hinton, AB8 March 2018
In general, Safeway is a poorly managed store. Since the Sobeys takeover, the atmosphere is dull and gloomy. There is no effort being made to help employees feel good about all the changes. There is little effort in general in staff performance. This store is riddled with bullies, behind the scenes schemes and favoritism.
Overall Good Place to Work
Human Resources Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 March 2018
Overall Safeway is a good place to work. However, merger of Sobeys/Safeway did create tension. Micro managing was annoying.Changes in management at my store created morale problems,
Pros
Great front end staff
Cons
Micro managing
Clerk
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Alberta7 March 2018
Safeway has always been good to me. I have been fortunate to have amazing department and store managers. I remained at Safeway for so long because of their ability to be flexible with my school schedule. I rarely had bad days and it was easy work. If you can stick it out the pay is decent too. I would recommend Safeway for students in high school making that transition to college and to stick it out for the top rate.
Pros
Flexible hours, decent pay, easy work
Cons
Working till 11pm
Minimum Wage And Nothing More
Specialty Foods Production Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 March 2018
Only thing that made worth working here was my peers. You don't get a dime off anything or any perks at all. Sometimes you pay more than a dissatisfied customers would. Although hours are consistent and easy to get, there is no room for advancement or recognition for other jobs. A lot of customers give you attitude for no reason (but expected since so much traffic). We always seemed understaffed. Management is okay but don't want to deal with problems.
Pros
Down-to-earth Coworkers
Cons
Wage, No perks, Dead-end job
Productive work environment
Cashier, bakery, deli (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC6 March 2018
It was a productive work environment with lots of additional outings for employees. There were lunches, bowling, and Christmas parties. The staff really felt like a community!
Pros
Free lunches, community
Cons
Long hours, lack of understanding in scheduling
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kenora, ON6 March 2018
I haven't worked at Safeway long enough to exactly get an outcome if i enjoyed it, but it was a good learning experience. It has taught me some skills through training.
Okay, but disorganized
Starbucks Kiosk, Barista (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC4 March 2018
Great first job, but management picks favourite when it comes to getting higher jobs. Some departments get favoured and don't follow rules like the others.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.2K