Safeway Employee Review

productive
inventory (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba19 November 2013
come in put inventory away.
learned safeway's way of stocking shelves
management was good
co-workers were ok
hardest part was evening shift while maintaining my day job

Other Safeway Employee Reviews

Was very understaffed, was given very little respect due to my age.
Bakery Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 May 2018
I have heard about good safeways that people like working in, but the store I was at was not one of those. The District manager did not authorize our department to transfer in more staff to help, but tripled our workload. We could not keep any new staff because the workload was too intense for anyone who got hired, and it also took a toll on all of the current workers in my department. The branch and department managers requested to promote me to help with the under-staffing issues, but it was denied by upper management because I was only 21 at the time. They try their best to not give anyone sick pay, and the stress was so intense it caused many of my coworkers to have mental breakdowns, anxiety attacks, and develop stress disorders. After I quit (to save my own mental health) I had to take a year off work for therapy and healing. I have heard from some of my former coworkers that the location I worked at still has not improved.
Pros
Great teamwork and in-store management, amazing customer service
Cons
Terrible work compensation, stressful environment.
Co-workers and patients served kept me looking forward to the work day.
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2018
The hours during that time of my life were flexible and matched my lifestyle. I immediately built strong relationships with the staff at my home store, however that is one of my strong points, as demonstrated repeatedly on my annual reviews. I've always felt that not only does it make coming to work more enjoyable, but if you don't work well with your coworkers and other healthcare professionals then it's the patients who suffer as well. A typical day at work was ensuring to lighten the mood in the pharmacy if needed and then dive in to dispensing and fixing problems. Safeway gave me the tools to open my own store and take on any and all issues related to operating a retail pharmacy. The most difficult part of the job was allowing others to leave issues/problems/unfinished business for the next pharmacist on duty as I have a hard time not doing everything myself. I've since learnt to delegate better however if questions arise I end up finishing the work myself rather than explain and show how to fix/complete the problem. However, teaching and apprenticing comes naturally to me so the reason for taking on issues myself may have been a product of my busy environment and keeping the patients satisfied if I feel they may become impatient. The most enjoyable part of my job should be unanimous with any other pharmacist's which would be helping our patients the best way we can and ensure they leave happy and feeling they are in good hands.
Pros
hours
Cons
non-pharmacy related personnel making pharmacy related decisions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.3K