Safeway
Information from Safeway:

Safeway Employee Reviews for Deli Associate

Deli Associate194 reviews
Canada194 reviews
Depending on the day it can get very busy or very slow. Safeway has lot of team work and family value oriented. The workplace can be very stressing if your team is lazy and unmotivated. The most enjoyable part of Safeway was my breaks and lunch.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Lack of advancement
its crazy too work for safeway because u should work hard with low salary
Co workers are not friendly at all

Union is fake and they do nothing for u

The shifts are not good
- Management is a mess and does take action if an incident is to occur. I've been assaulted and nothing has been done about it. They get other people to do their work for them. The pick and choose favorites and treat everyone non-favorite different. They either schedule too many people or not enough people. That can take a toll on the behavior of workers.
- Hardest part is getting the list you have to get done no exceptions otherwise you get questioned and criticized why it was not done. This also takes a toll on behaviors.

- Most enjoyable part is the communication and connection you have with customers, they are super nice and understand if we make mistakes or do not have a product. They do not get mad over a little thing. Sometimes they get mad but that is less than a 5% chance.

- Typical day is an 8 hour shift on a certain task/side of department. The certain tasks you are given is based on your strongest suit but once you have been there long enough, you can shift around. It can get really stressful when you get no help or it is overly busy that nothing is getting done.

- There are a lot of things you have to learn or memorize like codes, recipes, temperatures, ordering. you need to know where everything goes and how it is to be placed.

Overall most people do not like working there because over the years it has changed and gone downhill. It used to be enjoyable every single day but now there are days you cannot wait for your shift to end and get out of there.
Worked here for almost 3 years. Only changes I ever saw were for the worse. Not only did the company consistently make decisions to lower the quality of the products on the shelf, the management is some of the worst I've ever experienced. Disorganized beyond belief, borderline incompetent, and so many supervisors play favourites and ignore the complaints and concerns of the workers below them. Scheduling is all over the place and inconsistent, managers would play favourites giving better hours and positions to those who they just happened to like more. God forbid you needed specific times or days off. People with children and school would have to fight every week to get shifts covered simply because management either didn't listen or didn't care. Silence any hopes of getting a raise, you only get a raise after working a ricidulous amount of hours (by the time you get there the provincial minimum wage just goes up anyway) and even if you do reach that amount it's such an inconsequential amount, maybe 15 cents. Do not work here, negative environment with no room to grow and move up fairly.
My job in the deli was so stressful, I was a parttime worker and I was giving like 10 to 12 hours a week. It was not up to 20hours. Sometimes I get like 5hours a week. I'm a black person and some time I feel like some staffs always like telling on me. People dont mind their business they always like to report you to the manager on irrelevant things. I worked in Safeway Winnipeg and It was myworst job everwas
They are unionized but different unions for different areas in the store. Great Management, has a lot of 20+ year employees. Not a lot of career advancement. Good company to work for. I enjoyed my job.
I am happy with this company, This company provides good health benefit, provide excellent training on proper handling on food and good customer service,
The environment of cooperation and collaboration of staff and managers helped me to get into the duties. The job is sometimes stressful, and demanding but the team work makes everything easier.
working at safeway is fun. My co-working are friendly as well as the manager. Everyday i learned different things, Dealing with our customer and helping them are the most exciting experience i had when iam working at safeway.
It's always busy in the deli, however you can still have fun with your co-workers. I have learned to be patient with people, people who can't speak English or people who had a bad day at work. The people who work at Safeway impress me because I have never encountered prejudice. I respect the management in our store. I enjoy going to work because of the people I work with and because you meet interesting people.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Safeway?
They always change the manger and transfer regular staff from one location to another which is tough for workers because there’s always a changes on the methods of the systems of our work duties, cutting hours as well which not properly distributed..most young kids they hire don’t really care on their duties.
It is a stressful and fast-paced work environment. You really have to know what you're doing. Hours are flexible and understanding of your school schedule. Good place to work when you're a student.
At Safeway I have learned new things, such as making salads preparing sandwiches cooking different types of food and interacting with different people and customers who come to buy their food at the grocery store every day.
Safeway is a very nice place to work. Managers, coworkers and people are so nice, friendly and caring. The only reason I had to leave Safeway was because they don’t offer any full time position.
Super high stress place to work. I was in the deli and it was incredibly bad for my mental health. It was the only job I worked where it was that much of a struggle to go to work. It was a toxic environment and they didn't deal with work place issues aside from telling us to deal with it ourselves. Management used nepotism for their friends and family. Honestly haven't been as stressed as I was working here. Paid barely minimum wage to deal with mean co-workers and useless managers.
good place to work friendly staff who can take time and help a customer if they need something. always answers a phone call to take an order for different departments healthy multi-cultural environment.
I passed the interview in 1 hour with hiring manager then I started work in two days. It was good experienced working their. I got to learn to learn good things.
Overall, it was the supervisor's within the company that made this workplace a positive place to go to everyday. I was quickly trained in my department and given many opportunities to improve myself as an individual worker and a team member.
This may not be true for all of them, but the Chestermere Safeway has the worst deli manager. She is nasty, mean, condescending, patronizing and rude. She acts as a dictator who doesn't know how to schedule, your time is not respected, your availability does not matter. Instead of training, you get yelled at and belittled for not knowing things you weren't trained in. Store manager is cocky and pompous. No regard for his employees at all, if you are disabled good luck, they don't care.
It is the best place to work as a part-time employee if you are a student and want something less stressful. the staff is very friendly, cooperative and helpful.
The attitude of the workers in general was very poor. A lot of hard work on minimum wage. Management seemed to always be sitting in the office laughing and slandering workers behind their backs. In management, it is expected to have the work of 2 people done in a day-to stay overtime to finish the job, write schedules, run reports-yet was not compensated for extra time spent. Wasted time in “meetings”, not supported by upper management ed