Safeway Employee Reviews for Deli Associate

good company
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB25 April 2018
good environment, lots of room to advance and learn, excellent training, great management team, great team members and customer relations, good hours and benefits
Department heads were great but management sucks
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  100 Mile House, BC23 April 2018
Needed emergency family days for personal matters and lack of daycare and was denied. But because I was already in the union they couldn't fire me .. Did not I form me of this and treated me unfairly until I quit. Also, the store manager never consulted with my department head to even see if the time off was possible. And would not allow me to speak to my department head.
Pros
Weekly paycheques
Cons
Poor communication
Generic Deli Job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK10 April 2018
The job was pretty relaxed most of the time; although the management and co-workers pushed me to work harder and faster even though I was meeting all the deadlines.

The hardest part of the job was cleaning a few certain areas the were pretty much impossible to clean.

The most enjoyable part of the job was customer interaction. I enjoyed seeing all the new faces, and became familiar with the returning customers. I would memorize their usual order and would always chit chat a bit to build a bond.
Pros
Half hour paid break
Close to home
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB4 April 2018
Management choses favourites, too afraid to call in sick, coworkers are nice and make work enjoyable, we all agree something in management needs to change.v
Pros
good pay
Cons
managment
Good job
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC30 March 2018
Under new management things have been changing for the better for employees, flexible schedules, never miss out on breaks, union-very secure, staff is very friendly to new comers and management is very helpful in any situation, training is short and sweet and additional help is given whenever needed. Very welcoming space and it’s fun to be there once you’ve found your footing
Pros
Seinority based
Cons
Seinority based
It was an okay job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Canmore, AB29 March 2018
The Social and International Development field of practice focuses on the social, cultural, environmental and economic conditions and developments that affect the well-being of people in Canada and internationally. In addition to problem analysis, we focus on interventions at the community, national and international levels: the work of social planning departments, community agencies, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and international interventions at the level of the United Nations and NGOs working internationally. The curriculum is built around the concept of social justice, reflected in national and international texts, with particular attention to contemporary issues of interest to social work practitioners, including but not limited to: immigration and refugees; the struggle for human rights and community development; the struggles of Indigenous people; the social implications of climate change, poverty and globalization; the work of truth and reconciliation commissions.
Productive work environment
Cashier, bakery, deli (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC6 March 2018
It was a productive work environment with lots of additional outings for employees. There were lunches, bowling, and Christmas parties. The staff really felt like a community!
Pros
Free lunches, community
Cons
Long hours, lack of understanding in scheduling
very friendly ambience
DELI CLERK (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 March 2018
I learned how to work in a professional environment, how to treat customers in a friendly manner and solving their every query. Every employee treat each other in pleasant way.
productive and co-operate workplace.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC20 February 2018
it was the nice experience with them.
if I will get a chance to work with them again.
I would love to join them.
nice and co-operating staff and other employees.
thank you.
Overall good workplace
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 February 2018
Very multicultural. With only a handful of employees in the deli department, it gets very busy most of the time. I definitely improved my english speaking with a lot of different customers.
Benefits
Cons
non-flexible schedule
Safeway
Deli Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newton, BC5 February 2018
Safeway is a great to place to work, I have learned a lot from this company over the year I have worked there.i have gone from being a deli clerk and worked myself up to a deli assistant manager.
Great place to grow in your workplace and learn
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Castlegar, BC21 January 2018
Safeway is a good job to grow within and use teamwork to get the job done, to make the customer satisfied. My job consists of making sandwiches, making pizzas, doing production, making hot food and salads, and cleaning duties.
Pros
good health benefits
Cons
Can be stressful when unorganized
The deli is horrible do not work there
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC19 January 2018
Terrible disgusting work, rude aggressive, abusive managers. Long unpredictable hours, unmotivated, unhelpful co-workers. Break room is nice but no reason to work there at all.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
deli clerk
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC10 January 2018
cut and made food early days and days off, worked in a slow environment most part had experience in handling knifes and cutting utensils. I enjoyed it..
Pros
Half off food
Cons
no coment
Safeway was good for the most part
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 January 2018
first job in a grocery store, felt very welcome and overall good morale,but when new management takes over,things tend to change and newer management did not care if they got rid of long time workers just get new workers in to pay them low wages,was not impressed with the company after awhile.
Pros
had a good wage at the end of the job
Cons
long hours with not alot of help.
fellow employees were awesome but management lacked routine and organization
Deli worker (Former Employee) –  Powell River, BC4 January 2018
At safeway, some days were definitely better than others. Shifts with people who made the job fun but were still organized and focussed made the time go by quicker. Some staff were very strict and a lot of the time for no good reason so that sometimes made going to work stressful and dreadful. Overall, being employed there was not that bad and i appreciate the managers and fellow employees who helped me learn so much.
Pros
the friendly staff
Cons
no employee discounts in the store
great place to work
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC8 December 2017
great service, good employees good experience busy place lots to do good management friendly staff. hardest part of the job would be running the deli as it is very busy
Okay job, nothing special
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 October 2017
Worked here for a very short time due to the fact that I injured myself on the job. The manager didn't really like me and was writing me up every other week for silly things that had nothing to do with my performance as an employee. When I got hurt using the meat slicer, the manager refused to fill out the worker's comp form honestly and claimed that I was injured at home. I left the position when I realized that I was never going to move up the ranks or payscale here.
Pros
Fun environment, good supervisor, great staff and customers
Cons
Poor management from the higher ups, no opportunity for advancement
Worked 38 hours a week but was refused Full-Time
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MB17 October 2017
I learnt the values of customer service. I loved most of my fellow coworkers, thought the manager was cool until i heard her calling down other employees, the drama between coworkers was ridiculous.
Pros
Lots of Hours
Steady job, but low pay
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC6 October 2017
Lots of multitasking. Deli was often understaffed when I worked there so there is a lot of work to do. If I had the choice I would work as a cashier or stock clerk instead. Same pay but less demanding.
Pros
Unionized
Cons
Low paying

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.3K