Safeway Employee Reviews for Clerk

its alright
Curtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Canmore, AB22 April 2018
this job is kinda alright i mean if you like picking up garbage cleaning up dropped food or juice or eggs but again its alright to work here just wish breaks where longer
Gained lots of retail experience
Clerk in Charge (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC23 March 2018
Overall, I have gained the experience what customers truly want from a retail store. As a Clerk in Charge, I learned how to balance out conflicts between the employees, and how to provide better customer service by working here at Safeway.
Pros
Stat pay
Cons
Waiting to long for benefits
Hated it
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 February 2018
Worked for a few months and hours were eliminated completely with no explanation. Attempted many times to find out why but kept getting no answers and was just redirected to other department managers.
Sevice Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC6 February 2018
The workplace culture is very friendly every coworker is very helpful when customer or employee needs help to find the item always have an assistant close by.

I learned how to wrap gift basket at florist department and how to write raincheck for item not in the shelve when it is on sale for customer to take it later.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Long Hours
good place for part time
Coutesy clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 December 2017
every safeway/sobeys is different so cant really be all too biased, they all have there short comings and benefits, hours are always terrible unfortunately
Pros
easy work
Cons
bad pay
It’s a good working area
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB10 November 2017
Possibly an easy job, employees are great and job management is good and hours are sometimes good basing on what type of work time you choose. Work hours are terrible during this time of year
Pros
Cons
Midueam hours
good place to start
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 October 2017
typical day at work when the stock are out.
i learn that time is money
excellent people
its workplace culture
demanding customer that not all things done instant all need process
when the job done and customer happy that what they needs from the store got it and they come back do business with us
Pros
free parking lot
Cons
long standing hours
A good starting job for High School Students
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB8 September 2017
It's a good first job while your in High School, but i wouldn't make a career out of it. I've learned a lot of helpful skills and valuable knowledge about the grocery store industry
Pros
they are understanding of students, and believe school comes frist and don't force you into ridculous schedules
Cons
Pay is not worth the amount of work you do, espically if you have a lot of skills, but no pay raise
Safeway was a great first job !
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 August 2017
-uplifting environment
-equality
-health code up to par
-Great benefits
Pros
Great management
Cons
Has some solid people, but the pay, advancement, and expectations poor..
GENERAL CLERK / PRODUCE (Current Employee) –  Burnaby Heights, BC1 August 2017
Worked there for a year and have gotten a raise of $0.20 which is ridiculous this day and age!

They expect so much but lack the staff to do the job.

Only redeeming factor is that I had a few good coworkers that knew the struggle as much as me.
Pros
Can have decent coworkers
Cons
low pay, irregular hours, little to no advancement, high expectations with little feed back.
Safeway was in many ways a great place to work
Sevice clerk customer sevice (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC17 July 2017
But Safeway did not pay very well for sevice clerks and to advanced to become a cashier was not easy thing to do.asa sevice clerk I could get 40 hours but a cashier I could only get 20hours and I would of lost all my benifits .so I stayed a sevice clerk .after a long while l left the job so could get a job as a cashier.
Pros
I liked the customers and liked the job
Cons
The pay was very low
Good part time job,Bad full time.
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 July 2017
Pay is of course very low and raises are infrequent and negligible. My personal experience has been positive because my schedule has been very easy to move around for school.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Bad Pay
Terrible Wages
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC4 July 2017
The new collective agreement has horrible wages. After 2 years of full time hours, I was only making $12.20 an hour. It's an industry where customers have no respect for workers, and believe if they throw a temper tantrum, they will receive either free product or a gift certificate. This is based on over 25 years in this Industry. The old contract at least had a living wage.
The managers threw you into the job with no training and expect you to figure it out.
HMR Clerk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC22 June 2017
Often times you would have to put in unpayed overtime hours to make up for the fact that there were a lack of workers in the HMR department. The new workers received little to no training and were expected to somehow train themselves.
Pros
It's close to the mall
Cons
Overtime
Great job while in school
Variety/Floor Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 June 2017
Good place for a student to work, with adaptable hours and part time benefits provided by the union. Great environment to work on people skills and room to grow into different departments of Safeway.
Run away, far away if you are new.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  BC15 April 2017
You only get a 5 cent raise every 500 hours you work, no benefits at all for the normal worker. I wasn't allowed to leave my shift early by 5 minutes to catch a bus that comes once every hour. They straight up told me that 5 minutes of their time was more important than 1.5 ~ 3 hours of my time. Hours always getting cut, I started with 30 now I have 20, because they would rather hire a new person and give them and I 20 hours than give me 40 hours. The customer is always right to them, even if they were clearly yelling at you about a mistake they did, you get in trouble for it. One example is, someone wanted a replacement because the product was bad, so I gave them a replacement for free. I got in trouble because we could have sold that product.
Pros
None that I know of
Great Work Place
GENERAL CLERK (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, AB23 March 2017
I have been recently hired at Safeway after applying for customer service positions, as that is my specialty.

It is a great work environment and the people are kind, knowledgeable and just over good people to work with.

I look forward to growing with the company.
Too much gossip and cut throat
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Manitoba5 March 2017
Toxic environment. Job was okay but seemed like you always watched your back with who you talked to. Managment was awful as well as hr. Glad I left after 6 years; best decision I ever made.
Cons
Back stabbing, poor management, and on and on.
Work as General CLerk
GENERAL CLERK (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC27 January 2017
Work environment is good. I enjoy working there and learnt a lot. Management is good. I work mostly in the evening till closing, There are lots of work for me but I enjoy doing it, Wish the pay was a little better but no complains.
Pros
Gets shifts hourly whenever I am available.
Cons
Work load for me as I do two shifts in a day. Pay is less and no benefits for buy grocery there.
Productive and easy
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Terrace, BC19 December 2016
Stalk groceries and run the cash register. It a easy job, just have to stay organized and do what is ask from me. I'm surrounded with nice co-workers and when its a busy day it goes by pretty quick.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.3K