Safeway
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

Safeway Employee Reviews for Cashier

Cashier297 reviews
Canada297 reviews
On job learning. Closing clerk got paid to take first aid....mgmt had favorates and they got what they want. Didnt schedule senior people first but would schedule favorates first...even if not senior people....some people didnt have ro qork weekends and others did
Always short staffed, schedules keep changing without any notice, you need to check schedule daily. Too much micro managing . Manager needs to trust her employees more it’s ridiculous that the garbage is locked up and employees have to call management to come and unlock the garbage for it to be placed in compactor Employees not appreciated.
Pros
Working with good people
Cons
Not enough staff
I have worked at the St. Albert Inglewood Safeway for a few years now and have noticed heavy oppressive and discriminatory behaviors from some of the managers. They keep you in one place all shift, every shift, with no opportunity for advancement. When I brought an issue up to the branch manager, she dismissed me with a raised voice and wouldn’t hear my story. I feel unhappy and repressed at the Safeway
Pros
Some coworkers are pretty cool to work with, floor managers are usually willing to work with you on an issue
Cons
Rudeness and unprofessionalism by managers and oppression
Its easy and quite working at oceanpark safe.Everyone is co-operative and kind.
I like working as a cashier there.The one thing i like the most about woking is that everyone is helpful there
I enjoy working with people and helping in anyway I can. I am good at it when I have a line up full of customers and my team are all hard workers. Safeway is a fast and a steady pace of customers and we are there to provide ower time an Services for the shoppers whom go through at all times of the day and we are there to make a difference. Hope we made a difference for all shoppers.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
We gotta work for it
* it's really great working at Safeway if
u love to interact with customers

* The working r lovely and very helpful

* I learn a lot about customers here love it
Pros
Great location to work
Cons
Insufficient hours
It wasn’t a bad place, there were just some stressful things that occurred. Some managers were good. Others could of done better. The store did need some fixing as well.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Weird customers
It was my first job after coming to Canada and i learnt a lot about Canadian culture overall it was a great learning experience. some days were good some were really like dark nights but that's how life goes on.
Pros
free food during christmas
Cons
limited cashiers
Safeway has been a really nice store where I have been working for almost an year now. My manager, supervisor and all my colleagues are of friendly nature. They understand me very well and appreciate me for my work which is obviously always nice to hear. While working at Safeway I have learned team work, leadership, time management kind of qualities. I never feel tired or bored while working in the store.
Tbf, one manager was good but the rest were meh. You come in, you work, you leave. There wasn't anything other than that. I met a lot of good customers and co-workers who made the experience better. You really get to face all types of personalities. As for the discount part, I don't understand why they don't give workers a 10% discount from the store like so many other stores do.
It has such a friendly environment, and it is an overall great place to work with lots of experience and benefits. The staff is great, as well as the management.
Good for a stepping stone but that is about all. Not a job to help carry your family through living. There is many great co-workers but at times it can be difficult. The higher ups want more from you and at the same time they want to take more benefits away.
Coworkers are not friendly when stressed
Management is not the best and can be rude

Fast paced job very little support

Bcz its a minimum wage job is most suitable for young ppl in highschool
As an employee there are some days that are rough but over all its a fun environment to be in and my coworkers are amazing as well. I enjoy coming into work and talking to my customers and meeting new people.
Fun staff to work with, everyone was easy to talk to, we were one huge work family. I learned great customer service skills and how to work with many different people everyday, and how to handle cash, card and cheque payments from customers.
My day used to be tiring. I was hired as a cashier but they also give shifts to bring the buggies from the parking lot to the store. I found it very rude because they did not mention it in the job description. The management was quite strict, They barely gave you any off even when u are sick.
They do not pay enough and make you work over your weekly limit of hours and made you work even when you d=said you absolutely couldn't they were not nice people
I really like working over here. It's really a good opportunity to work at Safeway. I would like to work here again if I get a chance. Every co-worker really treats you in a good way.
a cool place to work meting new people each day. fast paced and pretty laid back, coworkers are pretty friendly management is nice. has a star bucks to
Management was awful and almost completely absent. They kept booking me in for when I had said I couldn't come in because of school and then proceeded to get upset that I couldn't come in. Would also book me in for extra shifts and not let me know, would then call me upset that I hadn't arrived for the shift they hadn't told me about. Training was poor and management was often completely absent. All emergency exits had been blocked as had the customers bathroom.
Pros
Customer interaction experience
Cons
Almost the entire job
I love the customers that come through Safeway, i just didnt like the veterans, its a very biased employee society were the day ones get special treatment