Safeway Employee Reviews

its alright
Curtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Canmore, AB22 April 2018
this job is kinda alright i mean if you like picking up garbage cleaning up dropped food or juice or eggs but again its alright to work here just wish breaks where longer
Pleasant Experience
Lead Cut Fruit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK21 April 2018
I had an opportunity to work with some great professionals. I truly enjoyed my working experience with some great coworkers and managers. I learned quite a bit about communicating well with all other departments and team members.
Had fun helping out customers and bringing in shopping carts
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 April 2018
Working for safeway is fun and exciting job. It allows you to get more comfortable with being around people and helping other individuals fine product.
Pros
Nice work atmosphere
Cons
To long of days of bringing in shoping carts/ carry outs
good environment and coworker
Forklift Operator/Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 April 2018
they treat their employees equal and they make sure safety is number one priority , they give people rise if they work hard , an vacations are paid for
yes it was a fun place too work
Janitor/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 April 2018
I was a janitor for safeway for 11years my job was too clean the warehouse too mop sweep floors pick up trash off floors and too pickup all of the plastic and cardbord and bail it
Pros
15 /30 minits aday
Cons
eight hours aday
Productive Environment
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 April 2018
Typical day of work includes serving customers without a break but it doesn't happen often.

The things that I learned working there were how to work in a team.

Working in a team I got to know more about the person I am working with.
Generic Deli Job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK10 April 2018
The job was pretty relaxed most of the time; although the management and co-workers pushed me to work harder and faster even though I was meeting all the deadlines.

The hardest part of the job was cleaning a few certain areas the were pretty much impossible to clean.

The most enjoyable part of the job was customer interaction. I enjoyed seeing all the new faces, and became familiar with the returning customers. I would memorize their usual order and would always chit chat a bit to build a bond.
Pros
Half hour paid break
like the job
Bakers helper (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC8 April 2018
i have been there 10 yrs. and have enjoyed my time with the company. There are too many changes since Sobeys has come on board. I would suggest this to school age folks.
Work at Safeway
Stalking (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 April 2018
I did not work for very long at Safeway but during the time of the few months I did work there it was very fun and my colleagues were very kind and helped me anytime I needed it.
Working for Sobeys
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON7 April 2018
A typical day at work with Safeways was usually very fulfilling and busy. Being trained in most areas of the store I found myself in different departments regularly,I really enjoyed the team I was apart of as well. I learnt how to do inventory, lead a team, professionally, train new employees. The work place culture was quick paced and friendly. The hardest part of my job-- well I felt it was very bearable work! And lastly, the most enjoyable part of my job was the growth in responsibility, the joys of training new employees and running my own cut fruit team.
Pros
I had a good relationship with my bosses and co workers
Cons
mostly unwilling to give time off, wanting me to work while very sick.
Close to home
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB4 April 2018
Management choses favourites, too afraid to call in sick, coworkers are nice and make work enjoyable, we all agree something in management needs to change.v
Pros
good pay
Cons
managment
typical work day
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC4 April 2018
in a typical work day I am usually working independently serving customers.I find a lack of training, as things change very often there needed to be a lot more communication between the manager and employees, I learned to work alone most of the time, and the hardest part of the job was me being the one stuck with some of the hardest tasks week after week, and others not having to do as much in the kiosk. i did like my customers, and enjoyed working with some of the younger coworkers
Pros
slower starbucks
Cons
long time periods by myself
Good
BAKERY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC3 April 2018
It is very goood to work here as all the manage ment is very good and suuportive and it is als good place to work for international students so averall very good
Good job
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC30 March 2018
Under new management things have been changing for the better for employees, flexible schedules, never miss out on breaks, union-very secure, staff is very friendly to new comers and management is very helpful in any situation, training is short and sweet and additional help is given whenever needed. Very welcoming space and it’s fun to be there once you’ve found your footing
Pros
Seinority based
Cons
Seinority based
It was an okay job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Canmore, AB29 March 2018
The Social and International Development field of practice focuses on the social, cultural, environmental and economic conditions and developments that affect the well-being of people in Canada and internationally. In addition to problem analysis, we focus on interventions at the community, national and international levels: the work of social planning departments, community agencies, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and international interventions at the level of the United Nations and NGOs working internationally. The curriculum is built around the concept of social justice, reflected in national and international texts, with particular attention to contemporary issues of interest to social work practitioners, including but not limited to: immigration and refugees; the struggle for human rights and community development; the struggles of Indigenous people; the social implications of climate change, poverty and globalization; the work of truth and reconciliation commissions.
calm enviorment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 March 2018
Always had a good day at Safeway. Majority of customers were happy & always friendly. Management was good & employees were treated fairly. Nothing negative.Days could be quiet & could also be busy but always left happy at the end of the day.
Pros
Pleasant work enviroment
Cons
not enough hours
Great place for students to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC29 March 2018
Safeway provided me with a fast paced and exciting workplace. They were quite felixble with my hours and I noticed they worked around my co-workers schedules so they could still attend school.
Great first job
Cashier/ Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ladner, BC27 March 2018
I was hired at Safeway in grade 11 and worked right up to the end of university. It allowed me to work when it fit my schedule and helped pave the way for may things to come.
Pros
Flexible, good wage for starting out
Cons
Union caps on hires (could only work 20 hour/wk)
co works are fun and good people and hard working
courtesy-clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 March 2018
it with look for karts and make sure the basket are back where they belong and help other co-works boss is great i learn to work more by myself everyone is so different and it great talking them hardest part is try to keep on sale days enjoyable part are the thank yous i get from everybody it nice
Pros
everybody work hard and help out
Cons
the hours are not that great
Gained lots of retail experience
Clerk in Charge (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC23 March 2018
Overall, I have gained the experience what customers truly want from a retail store. As a Clerk in Charge, I learned how to balance out conflicts between the employees, and how to provide better customer service by working here at Safeway.
Pros
Stat pay
Cons
Waiting to long for benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.2K