Safeway

Safeway Employee Reviews

Found 1,571 reviews matching the search
Was a good company to work for when it was canada Safeway. Since sobeys took over lot of rules and restrictions have been modified and put. Definitely Safeway store under union is still better than Superstore for sure.
Pros
Rotation of holiday shifts, overtime hours. Easy dealing with management
The work environment is fantastic.Management is great and understands.We are a team most of us get along great.Everyone help each other out when needed
Pros
Happy environment
Cons
stressful, overworked and under appreciated. schedule changed 3 times a week. always got called in on days off. customers are horrible and all for minimum wage and having to pay union fees on top of that
Pros
there was a starbucks in it
Cons
schedule changes daily
Safeway was a great place to work. If our family hadn’t moved away, I would probably still be there. Highly recommend a job at any Safeway. Aim for one of the bigger locations though, many of the small neighborhood stores have/ or will close.
Pros
Team building, fun
Cons
Stores can close
Very high paced environment . Good advancement for those that would like to do so. I was a Management Trainee, until another opportunity was offered to me. Team work environment. Able to transfer to different locations to meet with travel time to work.
Pros
Underground Parking at the location I was working
Cons
Can Get a bit overwhelmed with duties yo be done at one time
The people were friendly, hood benefits, and good pay. The job was easy to perform and was steady. The supervisors walked me through any problems and took their time.
Pros
The management was easy to talk to
Cons
None that I can think of
They mainly only hire part time employees, fulltime is offered to those who apply internally (which is waitlisted, fulltime positions become available when a fulltime employee either retires, quits, etc). Benefits are covered by the union (which in most part is better coverage than what is offered to fulltime employees - fulltime employees are covered by the company, not union)Employees who have worked with Safeway for many years are for the most part, bitter employees. They form their own cliques.An observation, those who kiss butt are given priority to learn new skills.If you don't kiss butt, you are stuck doing the same thing you were originally trained to do when you were first hired. Seems like good work ethics and integrity are overlooked, and under appreciated.
Pros
They recently implemented an employee discount (weekly 10% discount, max total discount of $15/week), flexible hours, benefits provided by the union for part-time employees
Cons
Support from Management to their employees is lacking: employee vs customer, "customer is always right" mentality
15 March 2021
Thanks for sharing your feedback. My email address is kelly.brown@albertsons.com if you would like to chat more. :) Have a great day!
i had fun working with a lot of the employ's there were a few times i had clashes with the management but overall it was nice and had many nice customers come in. No regrets working for Safeway
Pros
A lot of nice people and increased my social skills
Cons
had one or two people I had to deal with
15 March 2021
We appreciate your review. Thanks so much and have a great day!
Managers are rude, not much to learn, repetitive job, low payment, no place to sit, you stand for long hours, employees are very competitive and rude, don't have opportunities to grow and learn
Cons
long hours standing
Pay is good, thats about it. Basically just a bake off bakery now so don't expect to learn much. Steady decline in this store since sobeys took over. Toxic management.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Alot of entitled people work here
Worked at various stores and pharmacy management is always poor, managers openly hate the union and usually are so stressed out that they take it out on the staff. Scheduling can be a nightmare depending on the store (open, close, open close). Depending on the script count at the store, job duties can be very stressful. Some stores I have worked at were not staffed properly and hired people with no pharmacy experience which meant more stress for the staff that knew what they were doing, lots of mistakes to fix. The head company, Sobeys, offer some of the best wages for retail techs but that also means they will work you to the bone. I have seen many staff leave due to burnout, pharmacists and assistants. Since Air Miles were taken away by ACP in 2016/2017, Sobeys has been putting more and more pressure on staff to get higher script counts, which can include some questionable strategies. The system for headaches is quite possibly the stupidest I have ever seen. They make you book off your holidays in early January even if you have no idea what you want to do in the coming months and if you want a random day off you have to make it up somewhere or risk losing your benefits. It's even worse for part-time staff, they refuse to actually let them get paid time off and are paid out in a lump sum and the majority of it goes to taxes on a regular paycheck.
Pros
Benefits, employee discount, unionized
Cons
Poor scheduling, bad management, vacations are a headache
Safeway is one of the worst places to work, corrupted management without any career growth. Poor leadership and mentoring from supervisors and management team
Pros
Cons
Minimum Wage
Managers would stress everyone out and not help you out when you need it. Or go above and beyond. They don’t take your availability into account and punish you when you can’t work on a day that you are unavailable. Overall okay job. But not amazing management.
Pros
Pay cheque
Cons
This will apply to pharmacy jobs at Safeway only. The union doesn't care about the department and doesn't give it the time of day of even a 2nd thought. The company takes advantage of the fact the union doesn't care about the department. Wages start low and cap low. Most pharmacy will start assistant/ techs at their top wage. I stay because they accommodate my daycare schedule (only after I went to quite and threw labour laws at them, with no help from the union). They have benefits but almost every pharmacy has benefits. Not a good place to start a job in pharmacy with.
Manager is very nice same as coworkers. However, sometimes it get annoying who you work with. Other departments workers get coffees here and few of them are rude and obnoxious. Hours come from seniority, even if you are a good worker and organized. You won't get good hours. Sometimes from 8 to 16hrs per week. Recommended find another decent job.
Pros
Discount only if you work three months.
Cons
Some annoying coworkers, Min wage
30 December 2020
Hi there! I'm so sorry you didn't have a great experience at Safeway. We appreciate your feedback about hours! Have a great day!
I worked there 2 1/2 years, was promised 32-40 hours per week. For 2 years I got it but then a new manager came along and then all of a sudden I would get 0-15 hours per week. Because it’s union they can’t lay you off, they just don’t put you on the schedule. Eventually you have to find another job and quit. They only hire part time and then you hope for a shot at full time.
Pros
Excellent union pay
Cons
Only hire part time and they only have to give you 8 hours every 2 weeks if they want.
I feel fortunate to have a job here. If you are hard working and take Initiative you can advance here and make a career of it. If you go into management expect to get moved around to different stores.
Pros
Decent hours and flexible for students and parents
Cons
It’s retail so sometimes it’s tough dealing with customers
16 December 2020
Thanks so much for leaving a review. We're glad to have you on the team as a Deli Manager!
Their management had already made themselves look like a joke. I've aired all this already so no worry about them seeing his but I want it known. Here's my hiring story...I Went for an interview at the Lawson location. Very friendly and simple, filled out paperwork a day later to start and got told I had the job and orientation date. Then they called me the next day about No emergency contact info which they accepted while I filled it out. I dont know anybody anymore here and have no family contact info for anybody left out there somewhere. They told me it's unacceptable and has to be filed (No it doesn't because there's nobody and I checked). They said ok it's fine... Then they called the next day again for the same thing. I repeated everything and said the last person I know of is in BC but I have zero info or way to contact them, they said it's fine. THEN THEY CALLED A THIRD DAY!! Each time a different person with the main manager in the background coaching them because they all kept saying hold on they have to ask him. They then told me if i have nobody to write down they won't hire me after being told I had the job and to show up with the info or don't come in basically. I had already turned down two other jobs of the same nature because I got this one. I'm told it's discrimination because there's actually nobody I can fill out so I'm going to orientation (continuing to look obviously) and if they tell me they won't hire me the guy I was talking with will take it as a no fee discrimination case.
Pros
None yet.
Cons
Offered the job and then tried to take it back.
The Management at Kenora Safeway are exceptional people. Working there was a very good experience for me. I enjoyed going to work, I liked wearing the uniform.
16 December 2020
We're so thankful you were part of the Safeway team! It sounds like you had a great team. :) Thank you for leaving a review.
The hardest part of the job was learning the produce codes, staff is great to work with. There is never a dull moment. I love being able to have the seniority to tell the new staff what to do as in delegatIng jobs
Pros
Staff discounts with Airmiles after 3 months
Cons
For me longs hours. Not getting the help when u need it
A typical day at work varied, sometimes there were lots of laughs, other times I found I had to waste time standing my ground with someone who just wanted to 'push my buttons' so to speak. I would have to say the hardest part of the job was people who don't want to co-operate, they're just there to get paid and they complain about that too.
Pros
Well, it 'was' a job until it became 'just' a job.
Cons
The company finally making things way too hard on employees, They started 'cleaning house' so to speak, Let's get rid of the long term full timers who are getting benefits.
  1. Employee reviews