Safeway

Canada42 reviews

Found 42 reviews matching the searchSee all 13,068 reviews
peopletimegoodworkworkinghourmanagementsafeway

Pharmacy

Overall Good. Staffs are generally nice. Sometimes if you travel out of town, you may be the only pharmacist for the entire day but they do compensate with a higher pay.

Pros

Fully covered out of town travels

Disappointing experience.

Management needs to be more respectful and work with that in mind instead of intimidation. Expectations are different from job position posted on here. If you try to have an opinion its shut down.

Insights into Safeway

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job

High Stress, dull, unsafe later hours.

I didn't feel safe working in the late hours with the kind of traffic we got. I always had to worry about someone recognizing my face and taking their frustrations out on me after getting kicked out for shoplifting. The most they did was make a note about it and move on.

Wouldn’t go back.

Spent 3 years of my life from age 16-19 and was spoken to like garbage. I only stayed as long as I did because of the people in my department. They made the job what it is. Otherwise it’s tedious, nobody comments on your hard work, and everyone gets mad at eachother for reasons they shouldn’t have. Everyone’s noses is in everyone’s business. Safeway is filled with little tiny groups and niches. It’s exactly like highschool with adults. It was fine while I was there, but the breath of relief after I left is unexplainable.

Pros

Breaks, benefits

Cons

Pay, compensation

The other people were eady yo work with

The people were friendly, hood benefits, and good pay. The job was easy to perform and was steady. The supervisors walked me through any problems and took their time.

Pros

The management was easy to talk to

Cons

None that I can think of

Official response from Safeway

25 June 2021
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're glad to hear you enjoyed working at Safeway!

A decent job while a student

The best part was meeting uni students/uni aged students. Even better if you're in the same department. The tasks are fairly easy except during holidays or peak hours. Alslo taking orders at first is hard and sometimes communication with those orders with co-workers can get confusing.It was okay though, older people tend to work there and they make the work culture not as pleasant. I don't know if it's the same now but the benefits were really great there as well. It could have changed though.

Pros

easy job, benefits

Cons

bad work culture

Safeway is a very good place for part time seekers

The company sells anything from produce to petrol in their store locations. the gas bar in particular was fun to work at an taught me a lot about patience and customer service.

It's fine

If you need to work and get some money, it's an alright place to do that, it's unionized so you have people on your side, and the people that work here are good.

Safeway values money over the well-being of their employees. Toxic experience.

Good work places thrive off of positive reinforcement and a healthy culture. Working in the Safeway bakery department was my first job ever, and those two things were barely present. Although it’s a busy job, working in the bakery isn’t a bad job when the department is run properly, but it was toxic and disorganized. My initial experience at Safeway made me scared to go to work; there were fights between employees and the amount of things they expected you to instantly remember was overwhelming. It was constantly disorganized, and my shifts were often changed a day before they were scheduled. I was criticized and threatened over small mistakes as a brand new employee. There were even a couple of times that my supervisor texted me outside of work and asked why I screwed up. I didn’t sleep well knowing I had to go to work; it made me anxious. My coworkers confided me when they learned I was quitting, and they shared how management has screwed them over with their pay raises and scheduling. This job should pay more than minimum wage.

n/a

Good place to work with others in a retail environment. Lots of team work. Variety of different work skills and opportunities. Career opportunity for those who want to put in the work and time.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Safeway?

It was a job

Working at safeway could have been considered my first job. it was a nice experience to go through, and am thankful for taking me in when they did. As time went on, the hours never got better so I had to leave. Hopefully they'll hire more Full time staff

Pros

good co-workers

Cons

inconsistent hours.

Good to start at canada

Very nice work culture,coworker were helpful,bust too far frome iran.i start work there as a part time during my first 2 years at school,then i was full time worker last 2 years.

Sanitation and maintenance

Sanitation and maintenance Forklift operator Damage product is collect Collect Pilot Cutting a plastic Collects cardboard Mopping floor Wishing by a machine in the floor

Pros

Half hour breakfast

Cons

Half hour for lunch

productive work

Provided a great environment to work and had a great customer service experience. Learned how to deal with different kinds of customers and satisfying the needs of the customer.

Poor management

The manager I had for the deli department was never there when we needed him and he tried to make us save on food by going against food regulations I tried to make complaints and lost my job

good

I have learned so much in my career, they provided so much information to their employee, good benefits. The only downside is when you are at the top rate there is only cents increase per year

Flexable with great people, but wage and organization need work

You will learn how to do a lot of different tasks, but the primary one here is Customer Service. With the wide variety of customers that you interact with, you will learn how to properly meet these variable needs in addition to making them happy. In addition to customer service, you will learn how to control and manage gas bar pumps and learn how to properly clean and maintain them. You will definitely gain valuable experience at the gas bar, but if you are just starting out, you may not get a lot of hours. There are exceptions, such as a shortage of employees and call-ins. As you work there longer and people more senior to you move out of the position, your hours will improve. Management is okay, but the primary grocery store will often fail to contact your department, even when you page for assistance. When they do respond, they typically handle the situation well. The major downside to working in this position (part-time), is the wage, which is right at minimum, and the minimal benefits. When you work long enough, you only get tiny wage increases. If you have a good attitude and get things done, it will be difficult to have a hard time with people at the workplace. The coworkers are great to work with.

Pros

Great workers, lots of customer service experience, varied work

Cons

Low wages, limited benefits

Nice day at work, looking forward to go next day.

It was a comfortable company to work for, friendly and knowledgeable management. Pleasant work environment, unfortunately a big Canadian grocery chain end up acquiring Canada Safeway.

Great People

Staff are some of the best I have worked with. Days go by very quickly as the pharmacy is always really busy. Some difficult customers as in any pharmacy.

Just the worst.

The management where rude and not helpful at all, the union was garbage. Everything about this grocery store is terrible, except maybe their brand name cheese is good.

satisfactory

satisfactory place to work, would work there again, going through change over to sobeys, looking for something new and consistant after 25 years service

Pros

hours

smell

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement