Safeway Employee Reviews

Lacking in direction
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC14 June 2018
The staff themselves are generally all great people. But the actual company is lacking in a definitive direction of how it wants to go about its business and who is their target market.
I was Safeway before Sobeys
Senior Buyer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 June 2018
I had some really great managers that really helped me advance, but there were problems. I left because something didn't feel right. a few months later the Sobeys takeover was announced.

Sadly most the good people I knew are gone, but a few are still there.
Customer Service Driven
Person in Charge (Assistant Manager) (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 June 2018
A typical day at work is providing superior customer service in order to satisfy the customer, while ensuring I still get my job done.

I have learned how to treat customers with courtesy, and respect. Management has given me the opportunity to learn many positions within the company.

The hardest part of the job is it is not a 9 - 5 job. Shifts change daily and there is no standard weekly schedule. You could work until 11 pm one evening and have to be back at work the next morning at 8 or 9 am.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the friends I have made over the years while working there.
Pros
If you are going to school they accomodate your schedule.
Cons
Little chance to get a full time job.
Average Minimum Wage Job
Grocery Store Clerk/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 June 2018
Safeway is a grocery store company that offers quality groceries to its customers. It is a little over average pricing but overall good quality and always fresh produce.
some people are nice and some people yell at you
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 June 2018
this Safeway is good company to work for but they are strict to all the time I help each department find a price help customer find a item do baskets do shopping carts return items and clean washroom and change garbage I worked there fifteen years and I get three breaks I was terminated for missing one day of work on my one week vacation I was terminated when I looked at one schedule
Pros
no free lunch
Cons
busy
Good enough for a survival job
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2018
At the time I worked there, Subway was the only grocery shop that did not give any employee discount (you do get some insider coupon but with limitations and mostly not even good stuff). The schedule can be a mess. Working with the public is always a challenge. Sometimes you can be asked to perform functions that have nothing to do with your actual position. Money is as low as possible and you even pay union fees. The people are nice but of course that is variable. The music whole day can be annoying for some people.

An ok job for survival and making some extra cash if you are unemployed or first job.
Pros
Sometimes free food on meetings, insider coupons
Cons
lots of work but no money, customers are priority so they can be rude
Enjoyable workplace
Food Preparer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2018
I enjoyed my time at safeway because of the people I worked with directly every day. I learned a lot about business, customer service, and food prep/safety.
Pros
Workplace
Cons
Not enough hours for salary
batch cook (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC4 June 2018
It was nice working during 9-5 hours because there were more staff.
And what I've leaned there was we worked great as a team.
Management was lad back but always made sure you were doing you job right and correct.work pace was fast pasted and fun.
Hardest part of the job was late nights due to short staffed.
Enjoyable part was fast pasted environment with great coustomers
This was a very productive work place, teaches you costumer service and how to work with people
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK3 June 2018
I really liked this job, I liked working with the people but I thought it was time for spending new. Nothing wrong with this job teaches you good costumer service and
Pros
4 hour shifts
Cons
Great job to have
Was able to crosstrain in other areas
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 May 2018
I was full time but it took a while as full time was hard to get.
I was able to meet a lot of people and management was good. Safeways requires you to transfer locations out of the blue.
Pros
meeting people
Good place for buying quality groceries!
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC27 May 2018
My work experience at Safeway was a pleasant one, everyone in the workplace were friendly and polite! A overall good work experience! I would recommend.
Disrespect From Management and Union.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sardis, BC27 May 2018
Neither the store manager, nor the union protected me after I was harassed by other employees. I've never seen anything quite like it before. Major lapses in leadership all around. No wonder the staff turn over is huge at this location. It's a revolving door for a very good reason. Just not worth the stress for what is essentially a permanent part time job with no future.
Pros
Cons
Refusal to abide by WCB regulations and provide a safe, harassment free work environment.
Not bad for a student job.
GAS BAR ATTENDANT/COURTESY CLERK (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON26 May 2018
While good for a student job, it can be occasionally stressful, because of lack of staff. Likewise, raises are earned by spending more time there, and then it's very little. PICs only make an extra dollar as compared to minimum wage staff, so there is very little incentive to do better, or increase responsibilities.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Occasionally disorganized
a very productive learning experiance
Fort Saskatchewan - Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB26 May 2018
it was a very nice place to work. All my employees were very nice to me and they were happy if I did the best that I could. They had to let me go for unknown reasons.
Pros
nice break-room
Cons
no training
good job
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB25 May 2018
A fun little job for a high school kid, i learned lots and has great interactions with people. It helped me communicate with people better and i learned alot
alright
Cashier & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2018
safeway is a alright place it was an amazing first job for the year and half but there was no advancement, not till it was my last day they offered me a postion higher up that i asked for three months in advanced.
Pros
the friends you make
Cons
long hours, rude bosses, rude customers
fun and exiting to work here in safeway
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 May 2018
i like to work to safeway pharmacy and to the whole store, they treated me as a family.I learned a lot each day. I am very thankfull to thea management because they giving me a chance to enhance my knowledge. thank you very much.
Pros
free lunch sometimes
Cons
lonh hours
Enjoyable environment
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 May 2018
The job requirement were very enough to allow me to develop many new skills with respected food services. For example, one day I could be making pizza and the next day I could be serving a variety of meat and cheese to the customers.
Pros
Offered benefit packages and Union support
Cons
Limited work hours available
Was very understaffed, was given very little respect due to my age.
Bakery Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 May 2018
I have heard about good safeways that people like working in, but the store I was at was not one of those. The District manager did not authorize our department to transfer in more staff to help, but tripled our workload. We could not keep any new staff because the workload was too intense for anyone who got hired, and it also took a toll on all of the current workers in my department. The branch and department managers requested to promote me to help with the under-staffing issues, but it was denied by upper management because I was only 21 at the time. They try their best to not give anyone sick pay, and the stress was so intense it caused many of my coworkers to have mental breakdowns, anxiety attacks, and develop stress disorders. After I quit (to save my own mental health) I had to take a year off work for therapy and healing. I have heard from some of my former coworkers that the location I worked at still has not improved.
Pros
Great teamwork and in-store management, amazing customer service
Cons
Terrible work compensation, stressful environment.
Co-workers and patients served kept me looking forward to the work day.
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2018
The hours during that time of my life were flexible and matched my lifestyle. I immediately built strong relationships with the staff at my home store, however that is one of my strong points, as demonstrated repeatedly on my annual reviews. I've always felt that not only does it make coming to work more enjoyable, but if you don't work well with your coworkers and other healthcare professionals then it's the patients who suffer as well. A typical day at work was ensuring to lighten the mood in the pharmacy if needed and then dive in to dispensing and fixing problems. Safeway gave me the tools to open my own store and take on any and all issues related to operating a retail pharmacy. The most difficult part of the job was allowing others to leave issues/problems/unfinished business for the next pharmacist on duty as I have a hard time not doing everything myself. I've since learnt to delegate better however if questions arise I end up finishing the work myself rather than explain and show how to fix/complete the problem. However, teaching and apprenticing comes naturally to me so the reason for taking on issues myself may have been a product of my busy environment and keeping the patients satisfied if I feel they may become impatient. The most enjoyable part of my job should be unanimous with any other pharmacist's which would be helping our patients the best way we can and ensure they leave happy and feeling they are in good hands.
Pros
hours
Cons
non-pharmacy related personnel making pharmacy related decisions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.3K