Safeway Employee Reviews

Great workplace with room for growth
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 August 2018
I started a cashier but after only 5 months I was promoted to customer service where I was given far more responsibilities. It's a great work environment and everyone is always super friendly. They are very flexible with availability and cancelling shifts.
Great job with great pay
Floral Dept. 2nd Manager /Cashier (Current Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC13 August 2018
I worked for this company for 12 years and would have continued if they did store to store transfers, but they don’t. The only reason I left was because I had to move.
Biased Management
Curtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 August 2018
Most of the elderly workers are racist, management was very biased towards the elders. Most of the co-workers believe they have power over the youth, but at least the bathroom was kinda nice.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Job Work Life Balance
Customer Service & Cash Office (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 August 2018
Shift work makes your job work/ life balance manageable. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people such as workmates and customers. A typical day at work involves solving problems regarding customers and trying to satisfy their needs.
Not bad but not great
Front End supervisor (Current Employee) –  MB11 August 2018
The best parts of this job lie in developing relationships with the community and your coworkers, especially at smaller stores. You work closely with your coworkers!

The work is often repetitive and unfulfilling.

New employees start at minimum wage and get raises based on the amount of hours they work. Its kind of like a checkpoint system. because of this It takes a long time to get a decent wage.
Pros
employee and customer relationships
Cons
pay, unfulfilling work, experence largly is dependant on who your manager is.
Staff are very friendly
Deli Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 August 2018
Good Part-time job for students. There are many hours to go around and the stores are open early to late. There is always availability during holidays.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Long days standing on your feet
Fun work place. Management sucked
Barista (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC10 August 2018
Had an alright work experience with Safeway. Kept the store fairly clean.
Just managers were a bit rude and unfair to deal with. Not saying all stores are like that it was just my own experience.
Pros
Great people to work with. Good pay.
Cons
No reliable staff. So equals longer hours which there is no thank you for your ot.
Enjoyed making different types sandwiches, was great to communicate with customers while working.
Fast Food Worker (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC9 August 2018
Opening Shifts were all about cooking and lots of cooking.

Learned to make sandwiches and many different dishes, names of many items one couldn't imagine.

Management was ok.

Enjoyed talking with the staff while working.

Dealing with the customers while maintain the hot food.

Cooking.
Pros
10% discounts
twenty eight years at Safeway
Front-end Supervisor and Acting Floral Manager (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 August 2018
I prefer not comment on the end of my twenty eight years at Safeway. I enjoyed the people and customers and most of the experiences that I had . Since Safeway was bought out by Sobeys, the store and morale has been diminished
Mindless work makes for long shifts
CASHIER/FRONTEND (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 August 2018
I only enjoyed my time at Safeway because of my coworkers. The work itself, cashiering in particular, is quite repetitive and mindless. Once you have memorized the produce codes, there is not much thinking involved. This made for shifts that felt extremely long.

It got a little better when I had enough seniority to handle the self-checkout and customer service desk. The tasks were more varied and each customer request was different. Plus you are not confined to a little till and can move around to keep your blood circulating better which was important because your feet would ache at the end of each shift.

The management was strict but fair and generally really nice though the job-life balance was not great. If you want days off you have to set those in your availability as otherwise they will try and get you to come in every day, and they would because it always gets super busy around five.
Life at Safeway
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 August 2018
First part of my work day involved cleaning up the aisles, then either bagging groceries, collecting buggies, and then returning products to shelf. Working into the night, I was tasked with locking the west doors, collecting garbage and doing last minute cleaning.
Pros
Near my house, solid employees
Cons
Long hours, repetetive tasks, rude customers
Worst experience I had
General clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 August 2018
Poor work culture
Treating employees like assets not human resources
Very poor HR management
Poor salary scale
No supervision on employee's satisfaction and staff retention does not matter at all.
Pros
Cons
Poor management
a typical pharmacy inside a grocery store
Pharmacy Manager (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC2 August 2018
a typical day at work include serving customers regardless if it is pharmacy related or not. There is a recent change in upper management and the culture of the company has changed. We do not have the freedom to act on market change in individual market in order to boost business as job security is a concern.
Not a career company anymore
Sales/ Services Clerk - Florist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 August 2018
Worked in a few different departments within the retail outlets.

Overall, management was ego based. Last minute hours cut based on Manager's personal incentives not being met. Could never rely on projected pay.

Union environment.

Culture ranged by location. Overall was quite oppressive.
Safeway
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC1 August 2018
management are not well trained to manage an entire store, workers get zero training as cashiers. union does barely anything but complain. managers are always right in hr's eyes.
Pros
people you work with
Cons
management
left because company was bought out
produce manager, assistant and , grocery manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 August 2018
42 years at Safeway.. Had a Brain aneurysm and came back during the Sobey's buy out.. .. I felt we were disappointing our long term customers so I retired
loved working here. super fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 July 2018
safeway is one of the best places i've worked so far because the environment is so lovely and the people are just super kind, you always have your one bad customer but i find with safeway that rarely happened.
Safeway on Dawson Rd -Courtesy Clerk
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON31 July 2018
I enjoyed working as a courtesy clerk at Safeway.
I was kept busy throughout the day doing multiple tasks
from cashier, stocking shelves, unloading pallets, display ends, price checks, bringing in carts, cleaning and helping customers find the products that they're looking for and answering questions.
I struggle with anxiety on a daily basis but I decided that one day I wanted to step up and put myself out of my own comfort zone in hopes that I can improve and learn how to over come my anxiety.
It took some time but I adapted well to the surroundings, I always greeted customers with a smile and tried to provide the best service that I can. I would say that working at Safeway has helped me overcome my anxiety and Iv'e became more confident in myself.
The Managers, supervisors, employees and the other clerks where very friendly and made me feel welcomed. Although there is only one thing that Iv'e had difficulties with and that was bringing in the carts during winter season. I was called in almost everyday to cover other peoples shifts "which I didn't mind." I was the only female clerk on the team at the time. When the store got busy during the winter, I was the one to bring in all the carts by myself and the parking lot wasn't paved very often. The store got so busy during Christmas rush and other days when they had sales.Every time I brought all the carts inside thinking "okay carts are good now" then looking to see that they 're all outside again, Non stop. Iv'e almost collapsed one day, I was only given a 15 minute break. Then I was back out there again because I was
  more... the only clerk available. The only thing I would recommend is that during winter season or any season, that Safeway should have at least 2 clerks minimum on the floor because a clerk has a lot of responsibility's or look into purchasing a machine that makes bringing in carts easier like the one Walmart has. The most enjoyable part of working at Safeway was meeting new people and greeting customers. "A smile goes a long ways and it can really make anyone day.' I liked being kept busy throughout my work shift with multiple tasks and challenges.  less
Pros
Good work hours
Cons
carts "during winter"
Fantastic for starting work or looking to get into management
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC31 July 2018
Absolutely phenomenal management training, room to advance if you look for it, but there is a slight bit of competitiveness over the management positions.

Management was cliquey but organized and knew what they had to get done and did it.

Most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the other people and putting out a product that YOU had to be proud of. It gave someone something to look forward to going into it every day.

Hardest part of the job was getting everything done in a day. Management and other employees with seniority would pile tasks on you to get done.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Too much too quick at once.
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 July 2018
Job Work/Life Balance- Flexible hours and break times.

Salary/Benefits- Decent part time hourly job.

Job Security/Advancement- Unionized.

Management- Polite and courteous people.

Job Culture- Casual workplace.
Pros
Flexible hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.4K