Safeway Employee Reviews

Fun, Clean
Cashier/Courtesy clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 December 2017
I was a cashier and in floral which got hectic at times but it was mainly ok. It's a lot like high school though, everyone has a cliqu. wasnt too happy about all the gossip either.
Pros
Food
Cons
late nights
Good part-time job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 December 2017
Schedule is good for part-timer, schedule is put out 1 1/2 weeks in advance. The people there are nice and work with you to get a schedule that works for you. Extra hours are available if someone calls in sick.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Some customers can be unreasonable
great place to work
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC8 December 2017
great service, good employees good experience busy place lots to do good management friendly staff. hardest part of the job would be running the deli as it is very busy
Productive workplace
Floral Department/ Sales (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 December 2017
Typical work day includes busy independent work in my department. I've learned time management and interpersonal skill sets at this job more then ever that I will take with me. The overall management of the store is wonderful. The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers in bad moods, or when they get upset at things outside your own control (it just comes along with customer service). But the good outweigh the bad as the store is run quite smoothly and everyone does their part.
Pros
decent hours in my department for students
Cons
hard time getting time off on holidays because cause department is so small
good place for part time
Coutesy clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 December 2017
every safeway/sobeys is different so cant really be all too biased, they all have there short comings and benefits, hours are always terrible unfortunately
Pros
easy work
Cons
bad pay
daily activities with minimal staff
Pharmacy manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 December 2017
Many changes since owned by Sobeys.
Daily activites can be completed with stressful times due to staffing deficiency.
Overall work is based on team member and each location is variable
Very little hours unless you are lucky enough to get full time
Person in Charge (Current Employee) –  Selkirk, MB4 December 2017
I have work at Safeway for almost 8 years and still cant get anything close to full time hours and there are still tons of hour cuts and not enough staff to run the store
Good people, paralyzing upper-management
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC28 November 2017
For the time that I worked here, there were both good and bad moments. My coworkers were all nice people who were willing to lend a hand if you needed it, and they were easy to get along with; the same could be said of our direct manager. Unfortunately, a lot of the equipment we needed to do our job was so old that it was either near-obsolete or completely broken. Our manager did what he could to get things for us, but he was unable to get most of what we needed without the go ahead from his own superiors, who often had no clue about our situations.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Paralyzing management
Understaffed
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 November 2017
Most of the co-workers are easy to get along with, but as with all retail stores, they are quite understaffed at night.

There is no opportunity to become a supervisor/manager. This may have changed since I was last there.
Pros
Decent pay for Grid A
Cons
Take forever to get to Grid A
flexible hours for students
Cashier and bakery clerk (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC25 November 2017
As a student, they work around my schedule and allow me to have a flexible schedule. It's a relaxed job, but it can be kind of boring. Management is good.
Pros
flexible
Cons
boring
Productive Work Place In The Meat Dept
MEAT CLERK (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 November 2017
Working with Sobey's was a good opportunity to work and learn future employment skills.The hours were good and my department manager was a good boss and team leader.
Union Job UFCW1518
Manager (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC19 November 2017
Was only part time had no benefits and no stat pay for my position. Was working towards getting full time hours but is hard in a union environment. Great company
Pros
Clean work environment
Cons
Hard work in dusty areas at times
Easy going
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 November 2017
Nice staff and co-workers sometimes very annoying customers and struggled to remember produce codes which irritated some. Training was provided and very well done.
Pros
Nice staff, forgiving
Cons
Takes up weekends
Awful Management, worse "lifers"
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC13 November 2017
absolutely hated management, absolutely no help, if you ever had an issue they were never helpful and I would always feel belittled when I had an issue. Management are bullies who dont know how to do their job. If you are coming into the store as a fresh face, be prepared to be talked down to, not only from management but from the "lifers"
early morning, fast paced
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC12 November 2017
I would help to get fresh baked goods ready to deliver to a couple locations that didn't have in store bakeries. I would fry doughnut, package buns and muffins etc. and a little cake decorating.
Professional and an extremely caring environment to be included in.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 November 2017
I enjoyed working with co-workers whom were much older than I am, I aspire to be as professional and driven as them. They truly make you feel welcomed, and will take care of you as a new member of the team. Understandings when it comes to flexibility and work hours, and awesome management!
enjoyed
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 November 2017
I loved working at Safeway, they became family. Majority of the employees were kind and respectful and I loved it about Safeway. I felt at home and safe.
Fast paced, highly motivated, team focused, high level of communication
Bakery Production Helper (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB10 November 2017
In the bakery department as a helper you learn various tasks. I learned how to proof, fry and decorate donuts. I also got to help assist the bakers with bread, cookies, muffins and setting up various other goods to be baked. Keeping areas clean and organized was another task, as well as washing dishes and taking out trash.

The staff were always highly motivated and had high levels of communication. Everyone got along and was eager to help others when needed.

The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the fast pace, especially when there were special orders added to the regular work load. That wasn't bad though, because of how helpful and encouraging the team was.

The most enjoyable part of the job was continually learning new tasks and being surrounded by hard working, positive people! The manager was amazing. He always ensure all staff were sure of the expectation and confident in what they were learning.
Pros
Highly motivated staff, high communication skills, raises, stability, morning meetings, positive work environemt
Cons
Limited Full-Time positions available, very high pased, working with very high heat as well as frozen products
It’s a good working area
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB10 November 2017
Possibly an easy job, employees are great and job management is good and hours are sometimes good basing on what type of work time you choose. Work hours are terrible during this time of year
Pros
Cons
Midueam hours
Wonderful place to work
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 November 2017
Learned a lot
the longer you are there the more the will show you and train you
it was fun
the have great benefits
hardest part was the hours but after awhile I got stable hours
the most enjoyable part was how friendly everyone was and how great of an environment it was working there
Pros
free food
Cons
the hours where not the grates

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.