Safeway Employee Reviews

Found 1,190 reviews matching the search See all 10,885 reviews
Treated everyone with respect.
DONUT MAKER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 November 2018
A typical day at work was good and enjoyable.
I have learnt many things there many ways to make bread, learnt about different cultures, many other bakery goods, how to work as a team.
Management. Are very professional and respectful towards employees.
Workplace culture. Many enjoyable people to work with.
The hardest part of the job as dealing with co-workers and the smell of the fryer.
The most enjoyable part of the job was making donuts.
Pros
Free samples. Good pay and benefits.
Cons
Long hours. The fryer smell.
Simple and rather boring job - good for those not looking for hard work
Marpole - All-purpose Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 January 2019
A typical day at Safeway is serving customers, stocking shelves and doing other menial tasks. I gained a lot of customer service skills while working there but very little else. The workplace lacks culture, it is a rather boring atmosphere. Management is very accommodating, and overall nice. However, they make your life very difficult when you try to call in sick, keyword being try because they try their hardest to guilt you to come in even if you give the proper amount of warning.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult customers. The most enjoyable part is making a customers day and knowing you helped them have an enjoyable experience grocery shopping.
expects too much
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 October 2018
honestly the benefits and pay raises are pretty good. however, management is horrible. plus the union doesn't do much for you. always understaffed and expecting you to do multiple jobs at once.
Pros
health benefits, pay raises
Cons
long hours, no social life, terrible mangers, understaffed 24/7
Boring
Cashier/CSR/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 October 2018
I worked at Safeway when people still got raises and a high wage at that time. I left to take care of my children because the hours were from 8am-11pm or you were restricted and lost hours.
The only thing good was that I was making top dollar in 1999 now you can`t get close to that wage if you start now and work the rest of your life there.
I hated every minute I was there by the end after working there for 13 years or so.
I doubt it is any better now.
Pros
Non that I can remember
Cons
Hard work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB24 September 2018
meet new people, learned how to work a cash register, (training) provided management was awesome to work for they were understanding and will to go out of their way to helping you out.
work place culture was good, different cultures working under one roof.
the hardest part of the job is when it was time to go home, and wait for your next shift.
meeting new people and learning ne things was the best part, and helping each other out
Pros
had a lunch room
Cons
the traveling form work and home
productive yet its boring
Deli Department worker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 February 2019
safeway is a great place to work, but in my place in deli department was kind of stressful, because of my coworker that almost all of them is not helping each other to get the work done, but the management is pretty good. have a higher salary and every sunday I get an extra a dollar per hour.
Fantastic for starting work or looking to get into management
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC31 July 2018
Absolutely phenomenal management training, room to advance if you look for it, but there is a slight bit of competitiveness over the management positions.

Management was cliquey but organized and knew what they had to get done and did it.

Most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the other people and putting out a product that YOU had to be proud of. It gave someone something to look forward to going into it every day.

Hardest part of the job was getting everything done in a day. Management and other employees with seniority would pile tasks on you to get done.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Too much too quick at once.
Stressful , negative
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC25 July 2018
Stressful place ,not a pleasant environment .they dont seem to care about you. They do not care about your life needs and will schedule you without taking anything into consideration .Management is not interested . Couldnt wait to get out of there.friends who tried working there said the same thing
Pros
Some nice people work there
Cons
no real chance for benefits or advancement, poor hours
Many hours. Great adult management. Poor teen management.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Frances, ON11 January 2019
Management here consist of 2 types of groups. First is the main management that consist of the main adult managers who keep it running well and responsible. Second group are teenagers who abuse the title, goof around and is difficult to work with. Ususally at night shifts. Lets many get away with lots of wrong doing.

Wages should be higher than min wage due to the intense constant activity that can cause injury and strain.

If you can handle long line ups, up and down customers in different moods and the same day over and over with no changes, then this is for you.

Must keep eye on your pay stub and schedualling as though it changes or is missed many times.
Pros
Great co workers, customers who you connect with. Lots of hours available.
Cons
Dealing with teenagers in management, and schedual screw ups many times.
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 July 2018
Job Work/Life Balance- Flexible hours and break times.

Salary/Benefits- Decent part time hourly job.

Job Security/Advancement- Unionized.

Management- Polite and courteous people.

Job Culture- Casual workplace.
Pros
Flexible hours
Relaxed workplace with friendly staff and easy work
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chestermere, AB3 February 2019
safeway was a very friendly and welcoming workplace. Easy environment to adapt to with employees willing to help whenever needed. Management was very relaxed but very unorganized which created communication problems around my schedule and which managers were responsible for what. I was suppose to have a set schedule which had been communicated with my manager in advance. several times my manager booked me on days i was not suppose to work. When talking to the store manager about these issues i was having with my schedule he was very confused and kept sending me back to talk with my department manager instead of fixing the issue himself.
Pros
very relaxed workplace with postive employees
Cons
unorganized management, no liability
Great atmosphere - despite the setbacks
Cashier (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Alberta, Canada4 January 2019
I first started as a Produce Clerk, where it was made known that women were very unwelcome in that department. During my time in Produce I debated quitting due to the treatment from the Produce Managers - I was not trained properly and was treated as if I was incompetent just because I was the only female in the department. I was told by many other employees how sexist the managers were to them as well. This lasted about 3 weeks before I was transferred to being a cashier - something I am grateful for. Everyone in front-end services was welcoming and were very open to answering any of my questions. The people I work with now as a cashier are exceptionally kind. I have loved my experiences as a cashier and I have met so many great regulars as a result.
Pros
The people you will meet working here
Cons
Long hours, some customer's attitudes, sexism in some departments
a typical pharmacy inside a grocery store
Pharmacy Manager (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC2 August 2018
a typical day at work include serving customers regardless if it is pharmacy related or not. There is a recent change in upper management and the culture of the company has changed. We do not have the freedom to act on market change in individual market in order to boost business as job security is a concern.
Great place for long term work
Fuel Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 October 2018
Safeway is a company you should work for if you are looking to be apart of a team, and want to be able to keep yourself busy. There is always something to do, and you become quite hands on with Lottery, cigarettes, and gas prices when you work in the gas bar. It's always good to keep busy with cleaning, stocking product, counting, and selling goods and services.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Flexable with great people, but wage and organization need work
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2018
You will learn how to do a lot of different tasks, but the primary one here is Customer Service. With the wide variety of customers that you interact with, you will learn how to properly meet these variable needs in addition to making them happy.
In addition to customer service, you will learn how to control and manage gas bar pumps and learn how to properly clean and maintain them. You will definitely gain valuable experience at the gas bar, but if you are just starting out, you may not get a lot of hours. There are exceptions, such as a shortage of employees and call-ins. As you work there longer and people more senior to you move out of the position, your hours will improve. Management is okay, but the primary grocery store will often fail to contact your department, even when you page for assistance. When they do respond, they typically handle the situation well.
The major downside to working in this position (part-time), is the wage, which is right at minimum, and the minimal benefits. When you work long enough, you only get tiny wage increases. If you have a good attitude and get things done, it will be difficult to have a hard time with people at the workplace. The coworkers are great to work with.
Pros
Great workers, lots of customer service experience, varied work
Cons
Low wages, limited benefits
Not bad but not great
Front End supervisor (Current Employee) –  MB11 August 2018
The best parts of this job lie in developing relationships with the community and your coworkers, especially at smaller stores. You work closely with your coworkers!

The work is often repetitive and unfulfilling.

New employees start at minimum wage and get raises based on the amount of hours they work. Its kind of like a checkpoint system. because of this It takes a long time to get a decent wage.
Pros
employee and customer relationships
Cons
pay, unfulfilling work, experence largly is dependant on who your manager is.
Fun working place.challenging
Floral Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 August 2018
I like how friendly the people working in thw store where i am.good management.it has union which i like the most.competitive salary.they also have good benefits for both full tume and part time
Pros
Overtime with pay
good
PHARMACIST ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 January 2019
I have learned so much in my career, they provided so much information to their employee, good benefits. The only downside is when you are at the top rate there is only cents increase per year
Worst experience I had
General clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 August 2018
Poor work culture
Treating employees like assets not human resources
Very poor HR management
Poor salary scale
No supervision on employee's satisfaction and staff retention does not matter at all.
Pros
Cons
Poor management
Coworkers were friendly
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 November 2018
Learned that helping people doesnot cost at all.Management were good. Culture was good too. Too many customer but less associate to satisfy all. But i enjoyes the customers.
Pros
Made a lot of contacts.
Cons
Getting buss at night was tough.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.6K