Safeway
Information from Safeway:

Safeway Employee Reviews

Canada1,547 reviews
Found 1,547 reviews matching the search
On job learning. Closing clerk got paid to take first aid....mgmt had favorates and they got what they want. Didnt schedule senior people first but would schedule favorates first...even if not senior people....some people didnt have ro qork weekends and others did
great place if you are a minority, as you get treated better and can claim people are being racist in order to get out of your responsibilities. manager takes the best shifts and doesn't care about fellow workers
I love working in Starbucks it’s taught me a lot of new skills and how to be as quick as possible with customers drinks... I love working for Safeway I have a lot friends that I adore, I love meeting new people and my regular customers
Pros
I love making drinks and helping others choose their drinks
Cons
I suck at beverage sequencing
its crazy too work for safeway because u should work hard with low salary
Co workers are not friendly at all

Union is fake and they do nothing for u

The shifts are not good
Frankly, most management at any given store are exceedingly incompetent and toxic. Corporate doubly so.
The work environment is highly frustrating and depressing, bordering on hostile. There are many good people working here, but upper management -at any given store- are irredeemable. Use as a stepping stone or short-term starter job only. Safeway is a cesspool of mediocrity. Skilled, hard-working, intelligent people: do not apply. Your hard work will not be recognized or appreciated, you will be exploited further for your skills for very little return benefit. Your intelligence will constantly be insulted.

Work elsewhere for your own mental health.
Pros
Cons
Awful management. Unhappy people. Highly disorganized company.
I have worked at a Safeway for 6 years now and I always say it’s great.... if you have no other options. You will likely never see a promotion. You will never get a raise. The union is a joke. If you are part time you have next to no benefits. And they don’t care if you hate your job because to them you are 100% replaceable
Pros
Cons
To many
All in all staff is friendly and very kind, the problem was at the meat manager she was typically hard! She controling the staff by the hours she provides to them.. hourly rate is the minimum rate in SK . She will ask for availability like day night ! 8am-8pm and she will not give more than one or two days work per week around 10 hours every week max.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Bad meat manager !
Very good company that i work for before apparently i left because of my husband job move to mississauga if not not i will stay till i retired. Seens I back to bc I apply again but because of union issue they can't pay me same as b4 and I have to restart my wages again so I rejected, but union protect employees so ........ still this is a very good company to work. Very happy to work there for 6 years.
Always short staffed, schedules keep changing without any notice, you need to check schedule daily. Too much micro managing . Manager needs to trust her employees more it’s ridiculous that the garbage is locked up and employees have to call management to come and unlock the garbage for it to be placed in compactor Employees not appreciated.
Pros
Working with good people
Cons
Not enough staff
Hardly any work hours are available. I only got 5 hours a week, and sometimes I got nothing. Everytime I ask them about my low hours, they tell me that business is slow. I checked the schedule and noticed that people of Indian origins have little to no hours while everyone else had atleast 3 shifts a week.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Low hours. Especially if you are Indian
I have worked at the St. Albert Inglewood Safeway for a few years now and have noticed heavy oppressive and discriminatory behaviors from some of the managers. They keep you in one place all shift, every shift, with no opportunity for advancement. When I brought an issue up to the branch manager, she dismissed me with a raised voice and wouldn’t hear my story. I feel unhappy and repressed at the Safeway
Pros
Some coworkers are pretty cool to work with, floor managers are usually willing to work with you on an issue
Cons
Rudeness and unprofessionalism by managers and oppression
Its easy and quite working at oceanpark safe.Everyone is co-operative and kind.
I like working as a cashier there.The one thing i like the most about woking is that everyone is helpful there
I left after management last minute decided to discuss whether or not I was happy there and the amount of complaints I’d received. I was never told about these complaints and they didn’t make it very fair. They pressure you to take on shifts, scheduling is bad, one particular manager was not nice to anyone ever and should’ve been taking time off to sort personal problems.
Pros
Made friends
Cons
Management, entitled customers, poor scheduling
Great home/job balance, excellent pension and benefits. The people who work here are very kind and are great people. I loved working here through school because they were so good at scheduling
I enjoy working with people and helping in anyway I can. I am good at it when I have a line up full of customers and my team are all hard workers. Safeway is a fast and a steady pace of customers and we are there to provide ower time an Services for the shoppers whom go through at all times of the day and we are there to make a difference. Hope we made a difference for all shoppers.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
We gotta work for it
Very nice working place,co worker are excellent,fair salary,very good environment,the managements are very considerate. I recommend working here because the people are so nice.
Depending on the day it can get very busy or very slow. Safeway has lot of team work and family value oriented. The workplace can be very stressing if your team is lazy and unmotivated. The most enjoyable part of Safeway was my breaks and lunch.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Lack of advancement
Of the jobs I have held, this is by far the most demeaning and soul sucking place I have ever worked for. There is no incentive, there is no advancement. It's only stagnant bitterness, and passive aggressive management.
Pros
Cons
No support, excessive workload with no help, terrible pay.
I honestly felt unsafe and uncomfortable working nights at my local Safeway. Yes, working the night shift is already difficult for someone who has never worked nights before, but my supervisor made working there stressful and hazardous. He constantly bullied and belittled staff members - and even opening threatened staff about working more than they could handle. I was even told that if I wasn't done a certain task that "there'd be h*** to pay." He constantly stacked inventory 15 feet onto carts, which made some stacks reach 20 feet. And when it fell, he would shout at us for causing it. I had a near miss and another instance where a box fell on my head, which was full of salad dress and I'm now concerned about having light migraines. He also blamed us for not stacking properly, when he was handling most of the material poorly himself.
Personally, if you want to work in a safe, stress-free work environment, DO NOT work for the night crew at this Safeway.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Shift work, hazardous working environment, bullying and harassment
The upper management did not treat all employees fairly, favoritism is rampant, they do not listen to employees, and expect more work from employees than they give hours for.
* it's really great working at Safeway if
u love to interact with customers

* The working r lovely and very helpful

* I learn a lot about customers here love it
Pros
Great location to work
Cons
Insufficient hours