Ryder Employee Reviews

Cut throat management.
Local Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario2 May 2018
Company does a restructure every 2-4 years. This is a clever way to dump salaries or employees they no longer want. Upper management take care of themselves. Middle management and ground employees suffer.

It is too bad because the employees are fed up of the constant change and lack of support.
Pros
Collegues
Cons
Senior Management Team
Absolutely nothing positive to say about this company
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2018
Title says it all. It has been years since my employment here, but I sincerely doubt that has changed anything. I would be hard pressed to recommend this as even a starting position
Steamlined operations
AZ Driver (Current Employee) –  Toyota Canada Accounts22 April 2018
If you are a newbie trucker, probably not the place for you as they expect you to be a professional who knows their stuff coming in. I see a lot of complaints on here that are obviously from newbie drivers who are not really familiar with the industry yet. But if it's not your first rodeo, Ryder is a great company to work for in my experience because for the most part, you get the same truck everyday, you pretty much know what your hours are going to be each week, management completely leaves you alone if you are doing your job correctly and on the TMMC accounts at least, the work is extremely easy work. No touch, big customer yards, fairly relaxed pickup/delivery schedule and the equipment, though not great, is not too bad. I think the oldest trucks we have on our account are 2013's. If I do have one complaint, it is the lack of social and driver appreciation programs. For a company as big as Ryder, they can do better than a $25 gift card from Walmart as a Christmas bonus. Quarterly safety meeting, though paid, are pretty useless as far as teaching an experienced driver anything new and burn 4 or 5 of your Saturdays per year. Dealing with Ryder's repair shops as a Ryder Integrated Logistics driver can be frustrating as they tend to prioritize rental customers rather than their own employees.
Pros
Easy work, industry average pay, steady regular hours
Cons
A little aloof regarding driver appreciation/recognition
Hr
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON14 April 2018
Make sure that you have another job to go to Applied and have had numerous interviews. The HR team does not have the decency to contact you with an answer. The person that you have interviews with does not do this either. I think this very unprofessional for a company that is one of the biggest in the world I had worked for them years ago and at that time thought it was the best place to work. Have to put all the blame on The HR and upper management Stay clear of Ryder
Pros
Cons
management
good be could be better
Warehouse Picker/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON21 March 2018
While I was there the work is consent state of flux, it either too busy or not enough
While management needs some training on how to treat the employees
Sink or swim
Rental Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 March 2018
If your looking for a company who treats you as a number, has a sink or swim training method this is your dream job!
They train you at another location then put you in the location your supposed to be and everyone does everything different.
It is not a team environment! Everyone is catty and backstabbing welcome back to high school.
They want you to eat,sleep,breath Ryder they don’t care that you have a family with children at home
Pros
Benefits after a week, good pay
Cons
Long hours, terrible training
it is an ok place to work;
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Ontario7 March 2018
I have seen this company go from a top company in our field to one of the worst, in the past few years I have seen a half dozen locations close where competitors are opening new ones (in Ontario)

all managers above the branch level should be terminated. I don't understand how they can make so many poor business decisions and still be employed.

HR is a joke and should be disbanded and handled outside

You are expected to be in contact with work even on personal time

Advancement is an option but it is who you know and have seen a few "backroom deals" to create job positions for people "favorites are a reality"

Training is offered, but mostly for mechanics and a lot to do on your own time if interested.

high turnover

safety is a focus

We go through spending freezes where we go without supplies (pens, paper..etc)

Salary I would say is average and weekly for hourly people, benefits keep getting clawed back; we do have bonuses but not for everyone

Performed a reduction in workforce a few years ago right before Christmas (understand sometimes business is business but still)

if you like living under a microscope and micromanaged, please apply today; everything is questioned
Pros
good people on the ground level
Cons
everything else
Ryder Edmonton
Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 March 2018
Great co-workers (technicians) horrible management. Union shop. Shifts are unorganized and low seniority gets shafted (nights, graveyard or wknds). Good pay (weekly) with incentives. Facilities are old and falling apart. Can't fit longer units in the shop and close bay doors (sucks in winter). Have to fight for a bay some times or work outside. Locker room and lunch room are gross.
Pros
Good pay & co-workers
Cons
Management & facility
Good entry-level
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Concord, ON23 February 2018
Good entry level position for those fresh out of school. There are opportunities for advancement however they are limited and are taken quite quickly.
stable work enviroment
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Ontario14 February 2018
rotating shift work with good start and finish times.
friendly environment with a team of mechanics
able to stay up to date with training for all heavy-duty truck systems
Pros
hours of opperation, training
Cons
wages, manegement, ability to advance
It's a good company.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 January 2018
A lot of knowledge I gained here in this company. One of the best employer also in Canada. The benefits are very good. A lot of room to grow in this company.
Bonne compagnie
Représentante à la livraison (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 January 2018
Belle ambiance de travail
Esprit d'équipe
Pret a travailler meme dans des conditions de travail difficile ( Meteo)
Good Work place
Inventory Control Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 January 2018
Good Company, staff and co-workers
Pay rates are less as compared to other competitive companies.
Benefits are lesser than other companies.
Lots of management and structure changes in last 2 years.
Employee appreciation and internal promotion is good.
Pros
Job security
Cons
no significant raise in last 5 years.
Shunt Driver (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON11 January 2018
Regularly scheduled job, nice people, various jobs available, night shift is not for me. Would recommend company for people who like various shifts for work.
amazing company, terrible amangement
Lube Technician (Current Employee) –  Concord, ON18 December 2017
amazing company to work for but managers, supervisors and HR representatives makes the company and work life irritating. overall, if they stop hiring university graduates to work in the industry. working at the shop will make life a lot better
Pros
amazing pay, benefits
Cons
managers and HR
Driving truck is a tough job, but Ryder is family friendly
ACZ Driver (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON1 December 2017
Driving truck is a tough job, but Ryder is family friendly
Equipment is newer and well maintained, runs are on a strict timed schedule therefore you get home everyday.
Pros
Good pay rates
Cons
Do your job and get paid.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 November 2017
Do your job .voice your opinion. Show your skill be recognized and get hired. Get paid do overtime. Be safe. Teamwork.benefits transfers. I did all this and am happy to be here.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Makes you lazy.
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Mansfield,MA.26 November 2017
Geat company to work for.Benefits are good , people are good to work with.We are always learning different things about the trucking industry.Also they have a good 401 savings plan.
Should stick to renting trucks
ex manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 November 2017
Very lazy HR person in London , never there , always says she is busy when you want to see her , and she thinks she runs the company , but she should be in rehab. Drivers all nice , but using agency drivers reflects a bad image on the customers. Too many people in management have been there too long and can't think outside of the box. Too many EGOS and internal relationships between males and the female .
Pros
big name company
Cons
Management stuck in the old way of doing things
Storehouse
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON25 October 2017
I liked the actual job I performed, and the hours were good. OT happened now and again depending on the needs of the customer. The company is however top-heavy when it comes to management. I had three bosses and five other associates that I worked with in the storehouse with. At times it was confusing as you didn't know who was actually running the show. Communication from top down was horrible. I always felt like I was being kept in the dark and felt as if the company didn't want to share anything with me. Also, the rate of pay for this particular place I worked at were far, far below the industry average for this type of job. I also felt that the benefit package was a little 'cheap' as if Ryder found the cheapest benefit plan that they could for their employees. I actually had better coverage when I worked a full-time retail job!!

The workplace culture is weak and from my experience it was made clear to me that employees with any sort of professional opinion, either positive or negative where quickly shown the door. No associate coaching or professional growth is offered, nor do the management seem interested in promoting from internal ranks, although they claim to.

Personally and professionally speaking, I would hounestly stay far, far away from this company if you're looking for a career. If you just need to make some dollars real quick, this might be for you.
Pros
Good hours, M-f
Cons
Poorly Managed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ryder. Our community is ready to answer.