Ryder Employee Reviews

Found 166 reviews matching the search See all 2,865 reviews
Worst place i have ever worked
Class 1 Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2019
Very disorganized, Dispatch is absolutely incompetent. management isn't much better. Only pay overtime to class 1 drivers after 60 hours a week. Benefits are ok but employees pay for them. If you are thinking of a career with Ryder I strongly suggest punching your self in the face it will be less painful then working for these clowns. They will cut your hours with zero notice and leave you hanging. scheduling is done the day before so you never know what you are doing ahead of time. They will send you out of town and run you over your allowed driving hour when ever they feel like it and won't care if you are screwed. Slip seating, and if you get to work and they send you out over night on zero notice you will not at all be prepared for a over night trip. ABSOLUTELY THE WORST COMPANY IN THE WORLD TO WORK FOR.
Horrible company!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON7 February 2019
Ryder makes you work 40 hours and only pays you 35 hours every week. Ryder makes you pay for your own benefits 70, 80 or 90 percent coverage you pay to get the benefits and you pay 30,20 or 10 percent again out of your pocket to get whats not covered.

Overtime at Ryder's new facility in Milton is after 44 hours not 40 hours. Part time, seasonal and contract workers are told that they deserve and get paid less than full timers to start. Do not bring up your right to get paid the same as a full timer or Ryder will deny you a job or fire you if you bring it up after hired. There are no inspection sheets for the clamp trucks. Ryder says they do not need it as it is Ryder managing the company and they do not have to follow the law of Ontario and inspect there machines before they drive them.
Pros
Cons
No dignity and no respect.
Sink or swim
Rental Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 March 2018
If your looking for a company who treats you as a number, has a sink or swim training method this is your dream job!
They train you at another location then put you in the location your supposed to be and everyone does everything different.
It is not a team environment! Everyone is catty and backstabbing welcome back to high school.
They want you to eat,sleep,breath Ryder they don’t care that you have a family with children at home
Pros
Benefits after a week, good pay
Cons
Long hours, terrible training
it is an ok place to work;
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Ontario7 March 2018
I have seen this company go from a top company in our field to one of the worst, in the past few years I have seen a half dozen locations close where competitors are opening new ones (in Ontario)

all managers above the branch level should be terminated. I don't understand how they can make so many poor business decisions and still be employed.

HR is a joke and should be disbanded and handled outside

You are expected to be in contact with work even on personal time

Advancement is an option but it is who you know and have seen a few "backroom deals" to create job positions for people "favorites are a reality"

Training is offered, but mostly for mechanics and a lot to do on your own time if interested.

high turnover

safety is a focus

We go through spending freezes where we go without supplies (pens, paper..etc)

Salary I would say is average and weekly for hourly people, benefits keep getting clawed back; we do have bonuses but not for everyone

Performed a reduction in workforce a few years ago right before Christmas (understand sometimes business is business but still)

if you like living under a microscope and micromanaged, please apply today; everything is questioned
Pros
good people on the ground level
Cons
everything else
Good Work place
Inventory Control Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 January 2018
Good Company, staff and co-workers
Pay rates are less as compared to other competitive companies.
Benefits are lesser than other companies.
Lots of management and structure changes in last 2 years.
Employee appreciation and internal promotion is good.
Pros
Job security
Cons
no significant raise in last 5 years.
Supportive
OPERATIONS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC19 December 2018
Great company to work for. Great team; supportive management. Excellent place to learn new skills in your department as well as others. Cross training encouraged
7 years of slavery
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 July 2017
Inside a warehouse the winters are cold and the summers are hotter indoors. I was sent home for wearing shorts. Must wear thick uniform. Im not learning anything. in fact, I'm forgetting things I used to know. Management are major tools. People are funny. I like the people. Hardest part of the job is waking up at 4:20am and being so hot since we work hard and I'm sweating by the end of the day. Also it's dirty. it's dusty. Breathing dirty air into my lungs. They don't vacuum all the dust and then they have fans that blow it all around. Lots of males at my work have had heart problems. One even died at the age of 60-something. Enjoyable part of the job is sitting on my butt/listening to music and doing computer work.
Pros
Good money. Good benefits. Fairly relaxing environment
Cons
Dirty, hot, must wear uniform, working in a warehouse
Driver at Ryder
Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 December 2018
My day starts at 6:30 in the morning at which point i must check my load on the truck, check which stops i have for the day and plan my route to ensure i get my stops done in the most efficient way possible. Depending on the number of stops I usually come back, get unloaded and then load up any returns that need to be delivered. My day usually ends between 5 and 5:30
amazing company, terrible amangement
Lube Technician (Current Employee) –  Concord, ON18 December 2017
amazing company to work for but managers, supervisors and HR representatives makes the company and work life irritating. overall, if they stop hiring university graduates to work in the industry. working at the shop will make life a lot better
Pros
amazing pay, benefits
Cons
managers and HR
Truck Mechanic
Truck and Trailer Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Weston, ON5 December 2018
I was a preventative maintenance mechanic at Ryder in Weston ON
There standards and preventative maintenance scheduling I feel are second to none. Of all the places I worked I can recall how well Ryder takes care of there equipment. Two thumbs up
Pros
Pay security
bad place to work
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON18 August 2018
you are told to perform unsafe work and when you refuse they stop giving you work management are lost and confused
company treats employees like trash and then wonder why there always short staffed
they should try having some respect for the people that are the backbone of the company.
Pros
non
Cons
bad place to work
It is a good place to work as a driver.
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 September 2017
My only experience is as a truck driver.
As such I see my dispatch staff more than I see management.
Dispatch staff tend to be inexperienced, as they are the first step in the door for office workers.
This is generally the case for most trucking companies.
As such, I see times where the dispatch staff fails to make logical choices, and chooses options that cost time and resources over better thought out plans.
Pros
Good pay/benefits
Cons
Long hours as a driver
It's a good company.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 January 2018
A lot of knowledge I gained here in this company. One of the best employer also in Canada. The benefits are very good. A lot of room to grow in this company.
Location management are biggiots
Truck & Coach Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 June 2018
If i knew how badly managed this place was i would not have started work. Upper management at this location are very racist. they also work on a by me coffee and i will let you relax ( do no work). they have no regard for honest and any sense of personal responsibility. they have mastered the art of fall out and drop the the blame on colored employees.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Everything under the sun and the moon
Truck & Coach Mechanic Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON10 October 2018
Lots of work to do, never a dull moment. Great people, good hours,
Shift work from 6:30am- 3:00pm,, 3:00pm-11pm. Steady days off. Basic day to day routine.
Great Place to Work!
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 November 2016
It was a tough decision to leave my last employer who I worked for over 10 years but I'm glad I did. It has now been 10 years since I joined Ryder! Ryder has afforded me opportunities that have supported my continued career growth while maintaining my work life balance. The Company focuses on strengthening our values of expertise, collaboration, innovation, safety and trust. Employees are supportive of each other and work hard to exceed the expectations of our customers on a daily basis. I'm proud to support an organization that has great values and values me!
Pros
Training, Employee Development, Benefits
Great place to work ... with many awards to prove it!
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 November 2016
Ryder is a great place to work!

Fortune magazine named Ryder as one of the World's Most Admired Companies where it ranked third in the Trucking, Transportation, and Logistics industry category – with high marks in various categories including social responsibility, innovation, use of corporate assets, and people management.

Canada Top Employer's competition named Ryder as one of rgw Greater Toronto's Top Employers. Further, Trucking HR Canada has named Ryder Canada as a Top Fleet Employer based on their demonstration of effective human resources approaches in the areas of employee recognition, compensation, lifestyle, employee engagement, wellness, professional development, recruitment and retention.
Too many ridiculous rules
Truck Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 September 2017
Worked for them over 3 years and it was miserable jail time. The pay was good benefits were average. The accent for safety is way too much. If you want to play games and go by their policy book and follow all produres to make a simple service last half a day of work this is the place for you! I would not recomend any mechanics nor my worst ennemy to go turn wrenches at any Ryder Truck Rental location. Managent are liars and back stabbers.
Pros
Cons
Pay and easy apprentices jobs
very racist management
Apprentice Technician (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON23 July 2018
ryder is an ok place if you like to be a pet for management.
not the best place to work if you want to learn. all you do is change oil and wiper blades. management is very racist also.
Pros
Cons
management
Good teamwork and positive environment to work.
Copy configuration technician (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 February 2014
Every morning before we start our daily duties, we all gather together to the hall for a meeting and morning exercise. I have good rapport with my colleagues and we work together as a team. The management people are supportive to us. They acknowledges our sucess and good work by giving us recognition and rewards. The environment I work is safe and have that sense of teamwork. The enjoyable of part of the job is when I get to problem solve and fix the challenging problems of the machines. It gives me that sense of satisfaction and drive. I would like to have better work benefits like dental benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ryder. Our community is ready to answer.