Ryder Employee Reviews

Driver at Ryder
Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 December 2018
My day starts at 6:30 in the morning at which point i must check my load on the truck, check which stops i have for the day and plan my route to ensure i get my stops done in the most efficient way possible. Depending on the number of stops I usually come back, get unloaded and then load up any returns that need to be delivered. My day usually ends between 5 and 5:30
Truck Mechanic
Truck and Trailer Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Weston, ON5 December 2018
I was a preventative maintenance mechanic at Ryder in Weston ON
There standards and preventative maintenance scheduling I feel are second to none. Of all the places I worked I can recall how well Ryder takes care of there equipment. Two thumbs up
Pros
Pay security
Poor managed company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 November 2018
Don't waste your time you're better off working at Tim Hortons. Management were hired based on who they in know nit what the know. Too much favoritism to need to be operated like a profession organization and not a play ground
Pros
Cons
Over worked under payed
Truck & Coach Mechanic Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON10 October 2018
Lots of work to do, never a dull moment. Great people, good hours,
Shift work from 6:30am- 3:00pm,, 3:00pm-11pm. Steady days off. Basic day to day routine.
Stage
Aide-mécanicien (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 September 2018
Ce n'était que pour faire un stage, ils sont vraiment strict sur la sécurité des employés.
bad place to work
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON18 August 2018
you are told to perform unsafe work and when you refuse they stop giving you work management are lost and confused
company treats employees like trash and then wonder why there always short staffed
they should try having some respect for the people that are the backbone of the company.
Pros
non
Cons
bad place to work
Fair workplace
Senior Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON8 August 2018
Fair workplace to work at. Like most companies today time and money have become the priority in getting the units back to the customer. Would recommend.
Logistics is a good business
Supply Chain Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON3 August 2018
I enjoyed working there, logistics business provides daily challenges which keeps you engaged. It was my first exposure to the business and look forward to another opportunity to work in the field again.
Pros
Business
Cons
To short an opportunity
very racist management
Apprentice Technician (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON23 July 2018
ryder is an ok place if you like to be a pet for management.
not the best place to work if you want to learn. all you do is change oil and wiper blades. management is very racist also.
Pros
Cons
management
Location management are biggiots
Truck & Coach Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 June 2018
If i knew how badly managed this place was i would not have started work. Upper management at this location are very racist. they also work on a by me coffee and i will let you relax ( do no work). they have no regard for honest and any sense of personal responsibility. they have mastered the art of fall out and drop the the blame on colored employees.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Everything under the sun and the moon
Exciting fast paced environment. Good team collaboration
Asset Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 June 2018
The fast paced environment creates for an exciting work atmosphere. Customer satisfaction is at the top of the priority list. Problem solving and collaboration makes for great team efficiency.
Pros
Ever Changing
Cons
Public Company
Cut throat management.
Local Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario2 May 2018
Company does a restructure every 2-4 years. This is a clever way to dump salaries or employees they no longer want. Upper management take care of themselves. Middle management and ground employees suffer.

It is too bad because the employees are fed up of the constant change and lack of support.
Pros
Collegues
Cons
Senior Management Team
Absolutely nothing positive to say about this company
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2018
Title says it all. It has been years since my employment here, but I sincerely doubt that has changed anything. I would be hard pressed to recommend this as even a starting position
Steamlined operations
AZ Driver (Current Employee) –  Toyota Canada Accounts22 April 2018
If you are a newbie trucker, probably not the place for you as they expect you to be a professional who knows their stuff coming in. I see a lot of complaints on here that are obviously from newbie drivers who are not really familiar with the industry yet. But if it's not your first rodeo, Ryder is a great company to work for in my experience because for the most part, you get the same truck everyday, you pretty much know what your hours are going to be each week, management completely leaves you alone if you are doing your job correctly and on the TMMC accounts at least, the work is extremely easy work. No touch, big customer yards, fairly relaxed pickup/delivery schedule and the equipment, though not great, is not too bad. I think the oldest trucks we have on our account are 2013's. If I do have one complaint, it is the lack of social and driver appreciation programs. For a company as big as Ryder, they can do better than a $25 gift card from Walmart as a Christmas bonus. Quarterly safety meeting, though paid, are pretty useless as far as teaching an experienced driver anything new and burn 4 or 5 of your Saturdays per year. Dealing with Ryder's repair shops as a Ryder Integrated Logistics driver can be frustrating as they tend to prioritize rental customers rather than their own employees.
Pros
Easy work, industry average pay, steady regular hours
Cons
A little aloof regarding driver appreciation/recognition
Hr
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON14 April 2018
Make sure that you have another job to go to Applied and have had numerous interviews. The HR team does not have the decency to contact you with an answer. The person that you have interviews with does not do this either. I think this very unprofessional for a company that is one of the biggest in the world I had worked for them years ago and at that time thought it was the best place to work. Have to put all the blame on The HR and upper management Stay clear of Ryder
Pros
Cons
management
good be could be better
Warehouse Picker/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON21 March 2018
While I was there the work is consent state of flux, it either too busy or not enough
While management needs some training on how to treat the employees
Sink or swim
Rental Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 March 2018
If your looking for a company who treats you as a number, has a sink or swim training method this is your dream job!
They train you at another location then put you in the location your supposed to be and everyone does everything different.
It is not a team environment! Everyone is catty and backstabbing welcome back to high school.
They want you to eat,sleep,breath Ryder they don’t care that you have a family with children at home
Pros
Benefits after a week, good pay
Cons
Long hours, terrible training
it is an ok place to work;
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Ontario7 March 2018
I have seen this company go from a top company in our field to one of the worst, in the past few years I have seen a half dozen locations close where competitors are opening new ones (in Ontario)

all managers above the branch level should be terminated. I don't understand how they can make so many poor business decisions and still be employed.

HR is a joke and should be disbanded and handled outside

You are expected to be in contact with work even on personal time

Advancement is an option but it is who you know and have seen a few "backroom deals" to create job positions for people "favorites are a reality"

Training is offered, but mostly for mechanics and a lot to do on your own time if interested.

high turnover

safety is a focus

We go through spending freezes where we go without supplies (pens, paper..etc)

Salary I would say is average and weekly for hourly people, benefits keep getting clawed back; we do have bonuses but not for everyone

Performed a reduction in workforce a few years ago right before Christmas (understand sometimes business is business but still)

if you like living under a microscope and micromanaged, please apply today; everything is questioned
Pros
good people on the ground level
Cons
everything else
Ryder Edmonton
Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 March 2018
Great co-workers (technicians) horrible management. Union shop. Shifts are unorganized and low seniority gets shafted (nights, graveyard or wknds). Good pay (weekly) with incentives. Facilities are old and falling apart. Can't fit longer units in the shop and close bay doors (sucks in winter). Have to fight for a bay some times or work outside. Locker room and lunch room are gross.
Pros
Good pay & co-workers
Cons
Management & facility
Good entry-level
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Concord, ON23 February 2018
Good entry level position for those fresh out of school. There are opportunities for advancement however they are limited and are taken quite quickly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ryder. Our community is ready to answer.