Ryder System Inc.
Happiness score is 60 out of 100

Ryder System Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 254 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,856 reviews

Insights into Ryder System Inc.

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Inclusive work environment

Productive but very much negative people

A lot of competition in negative way. People try to push you down Hard work is the key but too much negative gossips on the back and very negative people in team spoil your day

meh

Lots of favoritism in the company. Multiple chances given to employees when they should have been removed.New people always being hired instead of letting people already working there the chance to move up.

(Ryder Domino's route) Management is great and all the guys are very friendly and will help you if you have any questions or concerns. You never do the same route twice in a row so that is nice. You start around 4-5 and sometimes go all night. Pay is good more than a couple over minimum and you have room for advancement if you are serious about the job

Pros

Easy work. Route changes

Look here only as a last resort

Poor follow-through, supervisors don't get adequate training for their role, blatant favoritism, management is completely out-of-touch, Safety program is a built on do-what-I-say-not-what-I-do.

Pros

consistent hours

Cons

negative work environment

Wouldn't recommend

It's a very fast paced work environment and I was always asked to do more than what I was supposed to.I wasn't given any trainings to learn about the job and was thrown into the madness with litttle knowledge. Then they expect you to operate as the senior or guru of the system and if you do not meet their expectations, they will start throwing sticks at you from everywhere.Seriously, I wouldn't recommend at all and I'm just thankful that I survived for a year just to get the experience and walk away from here.

Pros

Ot

Cons

Poor training, management, work environment

Awful workplace

Bad workplace get your title and GET OUT this is a terrible environment if you are young and excited about logistics it is messy and unorganized it is a he11 hole where happiness goes to die

Cons

Toujours des routes stupides.

Les routes sont faite par TorontoBeaucoup de perte de temps avant, pendant, et à la fin du quart de travail

Pros

aucun

Cons

désorganisé

My career really took off at Ryder

Excellent people at our location in Calgary! Management is the best I've ever worked for!! We are consistently improving and encouraging the team members to provide input as well!

Not bad

Some of the office employees could be nicer, but generally good. I have bin miss treated without my fault. They could consider the drivers safety a lot more ,with they equipment. It’s a good company to work for I like it .

Pros

N/a

Cons

Flexible, depends on your run.

Good job

Good place to work management was easy to speak to except a couple have a chip on the shoulder but definitely one of the best places that I have worked for the only reason I left was to buy my own truck.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Trucks could be better

OK work. Terrible supervisor

Extremely stressful work, unsafe work environment, which means very very high employee turnover rate. My supervisor is very incompetent, and immature, acts like a child that never grew up. He is causing lots of issues among his team and no one is loyal anymore as a result. He fails to realize we are in Canada and not back home. His back home style of supervising people is driving this business in the wrong direction.-good forklifts -hostile work culture due to management and my supervisor-management is clueless how to run the show, they keep changing strategies and confusing all the employees. -the hardest part about the job is not the work itself but the ability to keep yourself sane and not lose your mind, as there is no sense of direction. the management and the supervisor is conflicting in their outlook which is causing confusion among employees.-extremely unsafe work environment due to them pushing people to work beyond their capabilities. employees driving forklift all over the place and not in their lanes due to management pushing for higher performance numbers.-the most enjoyable part is when you are having lunch

Pros

N/a

Cons

Hostile work culture, Management doesn't have clear sense of direction.

Horrible

Management was very undisciplined in their day to day tasks. There seemed to be absolutely no critical thinking within managers. Almost like there was a poorly defined script and tasks list set up and was partially implemented. No real guidance from any individual on training, safety, and expected roles. Just no real drive from anyone to help out or try and make the company grow and thrive.

Pros

Nothing really

Cons

Poor company structure.

No knowledge of the transportation division.

Managers have little knowledge about transportation. Even dispatch was lacking experience in most areas. Driver turn over rate was non stop. Always new drivers with little knowledge on most areas.

Pros

Newer equipment

Cons

Great customers at sites.

Alot of B.S. right from the interview stage.

Management is superficial & lacks integrity. Would not recommend job to anyone. It's a " pass the buck " environment where it all ends with you. Looking into something is just like having them lookk into a hole in the ground.

Pros

You go home.

Cons

Safety is a joke. As long as you sign off & they get thier numbers thier happy.

Stressful and Tiring Workplace

I work at the Fort Hills site (7 on and 7 off). I've been here for quite a while. No wage progression, no opportunity for growth, not even a performance review. They grossly underpay their employees while grossly overworking them at the same token. Management is inept, they're hardly ever at site to see the deplorable working conditions employees are subjected to, nor do they care. It's all about their bottom line. I also question their hiring practices. It seems like they bring people up to site just to fill the void while overlooking experience, skill set, fit, work ethic, etc. There's workers there who get away with shoddy and substandard workmanship without consequence while others get reprimanded and picked on. There's also a lot of gossiping, backstabbing and favoritism in the workplace. "A" team is better than "B" team, day shift vs night shift are prime examples of what employees are subjected to working here. There's constant turnover where employees seek greener pastures to get away from such a toxic environment. I don't see things getting any better any time soon. It may sound pessimistic but that is my reality.

Pros

Steady work, 7 days off

Cons

Shady workers, deplorable working conditions

Good place to work, if you’re interested in transportation- this is a great place to work and has a great reputation in the Industry- the compensation is wonderful if you know what you’re doing but the culture is a little dog eat dog/ cover your butt

Pros

Good compensation

Cons

Spotty management

Ryder cutting jobs

worked for Ryder over 9 years. I learned that you are just an employee number as bending over backwards for several years to get customer out of shop asap doesn't help. guys are mostly good but don't accidentally hurt yourself or you will be micro managed. would of left a few years ago but with job losses I stayed to them shutting down a complete shift without warning. pay good and benefits and most of management. don't need much experience as what they hired without any type of background checks and bad work as mgmt doesn't check there work or work with a tech most of the times. also no training on related equipment

Pros

pay, benefits, rrsps and perks

Cons

safety seems to be mgmts decisions, tool supply, no training, job security

Fun, challenging, great atmosphere

Ryder has been a great place to work.You genuinely feel like you matter, and I leave work most days with a sense of accomplishment. I cannot speak for all locations, but at mine, management is very approachable and eager to help with any issues. I'm supplied with the right tools to do the job and as much literature as I need to troubleshoot most issues. Very strict with safety, which does at times go a little overboard, but much better than the alternative.

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, stock options. Friendly and compassionate, not just a number

Cons

Safety is important but they take it too far, simple tasks cannot be completed because of rules that don't make sense, Fleet work so a lot of the same issues each day, not overly exciting, hard for an apprentice to get well-rounded training

Good

Working at Ryder has been a phenomenal experience. Good team players with a very conducive atmosphere. I like the ethics and work culture and to see how diverse employees are. Overall is good.

There was a disconnect between the shop and upper management.

No one shop at Ryder feels the same. Some are relaxed while some are more stressful than they need to be. I was fortunate to find one that was relaxed and relatively stress free. The issues came when anyone above my immediate manager tried changing things because "their metrics weren't hitting their goals" which usually caused issues because what works with one shop could ruin another. Regional managers seemed to cycle through a revolving door so by the time one of them gets settled into the position and understands how it works, they would get booted to be replaced by an individual that had little knowledge or training on the position. My advice to mechanics applying at the company is the bigger the shop, the more scrutiny you are under and the more stressed you are likely to be.

Pros

Full Benefits

Cons

Flip flopping upper management

Not worth it your license

Pay is only good cause you work 70hrs plus, yes plus,, because if you don’t get your job done because of illegal loads they force you to take, then your job is on the line but so is your license. Your driving for vicwest which can’t make a legal load to save there life’s. most if not all drivers are stressed and worried about there licence Each time they pass an mto. 95% of loads are illegal Supervisior there is great but the upper management is absolutely garbage and will throw you under a bus.

Pros

Great supervisor

Cons

No OT till 60hrs, equipment, illegal loads, poor upper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ryder System Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.1K