RYCOM Corporation Employee Reviews

Great for a starter job
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 April 2019
Great co-workers and awesome Christmas parties. Rycom has shown me that at the end of the day, its all about business. Hardest part of the job was convincing HQ that more than 2 headend managers are needed to manage 3 major cities. 8.5hr min day is needed, you may need to work late depending on how the calls went that day & on weekends without compensation. My Boss was one of the best I have ever worked with - don't get me wrong, but you will bring work home with you. To work for the company for 3 years and have the Owner look at me with confusion as to whom I was - really opened my eyes considering I was the only female working for Western Canada at that time.
Pros
Company Provided Cell Phone & Laptop. Full-time Hours, Expense Reimbursements
Cons
No Vacation Replacements, No Advancement Opportunities, No Annual Raises, Benefits given dependent on position, Possible Demotions, No appropriate HR set in place.
They do not value emoloyees
Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 July 2018
I spent over a year with Rycom in Edmonton. While the company as a whole seems to be well rounded.....the western Canada part of the company seems to be neglected.
In Edmonton we had a decent manager who went looking for jobs to quote. But they never got approved or even looked at. He left the city for a job where he was encouraged to use his skills.
The tech's have to pay for parking, and in some circumstances material or tools for a job. This would be fine if we were re-embursed in a timely fashion. But it would routinely take 8-10 weeks to get paid back. Kind of sad that a person has to pay to go to work.
Last is the lack of hours. Rycom seems to rely on pre-arranged contracts through major companys, and if there is a lag in that work the tech's sit at home. Can't pay the bills with 11 hrs a week.
It seems that a lack of accountability in upper management will be the downfall of the western Canadian side of Rycom.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Lack of hours
fun place to work with
Data Visualization Designer (Co-Op) (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON26 April 2018
I got to learn a lot of stuff about how building automation works. How important it is for IoT. Workplace culture is very happening and colleagues are super amazing.
Most unorganized company i have ever worked for
Structured Cabling/Networking Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 September 2017
They do not care about employees. edmonton branch is a satelite branch run out of calgary....and hard to get materials when needed . Office manager left edmonton.and filled position with a tech. Wont bid on jobs only take on 3rd party jobs. Have to expence everything parking some matetials etc then play waiting game to get it back....basically have 1 big client and its still a 3rd party job....most of time do service calls . Never get hours unless big job on the go...get swore at on phone regularly by calgary office .
Ya you get a company van ...but they are all autowrecker specials...they wont approve repairs unless deamed major unsafe... rycom as a company is good . Just being a satelite branch run out of calgary is there biggest flaw... they need to replace calgary boss and his potty mouth little lady that likes to swear more than a sailer...
Pros
Company van
Cons
No hours and calgary plays favorites
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON22 October 2015
Friendly staff and good positive environment to work in. Lots of benefits. Hard to advance within the company. Overall really great place to work.
Fast moving Company always busy.
Manager, Service and Installations (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON16 October 2015
Well managed company. Emphasis on efficiency and customer satisfaction. Benefits are very good and perks such as nutrition, yoga, fitness, health are supported directly by the company. Issues are addressed quickly.
Pros
Good Management support
Cons
long hours, almost always short on resources.