Ruth's Chris Steak House Employee Reviews

Horrible Working Conditions - Minimum Wage
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON31 May 2019
Working at this location as a full time dishwasher was stressful and not a fun place to work. The tip pool averaged $10 a week for each dishwasher and the tip out for the servers was 7% of sales, clearly management is lining their pockets instead of passing the tips to the hardworking back of house staff.

You frequently work functions where there is no gratuity at all that is passed to the back of house. Functions of up to 500 people are regular and the dish pit is understaffed. Those that do work with you are older, lazier workers and the management doesn't seem to care about their lack of performance.

You are frequently sent home early and there is no reliable hours at this location. Your paycheck is never consistent. Seniority doesn't seem to matter either.

In short, it is not worth working here given the amount of work you must do and the poor tips you do receive.
Cons
No free meals, poor tip pool management, managers that don't care
Has it's ups and downs
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON13 May 2019
While working at Ruths Chris i've grown to love the diversity of the team.
Working here is more meant as a part time job, I wouldn't recommend a career here.
Great
Host (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON3 March 2019
Great atmosphere, great for people who want to be a host but not deal with rushes. Laid back job, short shifts, and you get tips. This is also great if you are entry level, you can learn a lot from this environment.
Cons
Not a lot of shifts
good place
Kitchen Helper (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON31 January 2019
very fast paced work environment with high standards. teamwork is a must. I have learned teamwork ethics. very good place and they give free meal as well.
fun workplace
Bartender / Server (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON5 November 2018
fun workplace with lots of great staff and managers
tourist area
slow days busy nights
fun drinks to make
enjoyable atmosphere
.....................
Not what i expected
Server (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON15 February 2018
Not quite what I expected.
With a 7% tip out of your read plus an additional tip oUT to food runner and server assistant it's next to impossible to make money.
Banquets often go on your paycheck with no clear acounting of what function is was.....many go unpaid.
Time off is easy.request it and it's given.
But if your thinking a high end steakhouse think again.most guests come in with coupons or vouchers that the server has to tip out on......the turnover in staff is massive.
Pros
Flexible time off
Cons
Tipping out insane money and going home with very little.
Below Average for a High Class Establishment
PANTRY COOK (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 August 2017
For a company that marks up their products by over 200 percent, I was expecting more than just above minimum wage. Despite my drive to work, I was never offered a raise or praise for going above and beyond. Management refuses to acknowledge their poor choice in hiring and frequently chose to hire underqualified workers.

This restaurant is the reason I left the culinary industry.

If you are looking for an easy job, stay away but if you love the industry and want to help grow a restaurant, go ahead and try.
Pros
free lunch once a week, good tipout
Cons
penny pinchers, poor hiring practices
awesome
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON14 May 2017
Ruth's Chris is an amazing environment to work in. Co-workers are outgoing and make the shift go soothly. Management is very understanding and willing to work with the staff to ensure they are happy at work.
Fun and exciting environment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2016
Although it is an expensive restaurant you feel right at home working there. The staff members instantly become friends and family and there is truly no other job I've felt so comfortable with so quickly. I enjoyed every shift there.
Pros
Discounts on meals
Cons
Long nights home if you dont live close
Great Company
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 January 2016
Great for the person that enjoys deliver 5 star service. Great if you like only working evenings and weekends. Hours are not too long. This is a franchise store
Pros
Food quality and service quality
A really fun environment
Server Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2016
A really fun environment. You get to meet great people both staff and guests. The staff is really professional and customer centered which is a good thing.
Pros
Decent money for students
Cons
Hours can be really long
Servers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 January 2016
At Ruth’s Chris Steak House in Edmonton, the restaurant is built in a Heritage Building that was once a bank. Our historic setting includes private dining in former bank vaults surrounded by two feet of concrete and six-ton vault doors, yet with a very spacious feeling. Fireplaces in our cozy dining room and lounge create a very relaxing setting that is ideal for an important business dinner, a romantic evening of fine dining or an incredible meal before the game.
Fine Dining Steak House
general manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 December 2015
Upscale Fine Dining Steak House downtown Toronto

I gained a vast amount of knowledge in my employment with Ruth's Chris. What I liked most about my job was the family environment, we had servers that had surpassed my 12 year employment with 20 years on the job. That is a testament to the amazing director of operations that also was with the company for over 20 years.

I really enjoyed creating and maintaining the wine list. Ordering, tasting, learning seminars...all a passion of mine!
Pros
Close to home
Cons
in the basement with no direct light
Productive and fun environment to work in
Food and Beverage Server (Current Employee) –  fallsview blvd, niagara falls14 May 2015
The staff is incredible. Everyone in the staff is willing to help one another out and work as a team. Its a happy environment, and serves great food.
Great food and people.
Server (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON25 February 2015
A typical day consists of waiting on guest in a professional manner; offer menu advice and build a connection with guests. Ensure the complete satisfaction of everyone you encounter.
I feel that working as a team is important and could be stressed more throughout the company. The hardest part of the job was how little I was able to utilize all my skills. I enjoy building great experiences and offering new information to the guest.