Russel Metals

Russel Metals Employee Reviews

Excellent company to work for.

Featured review

Russel Metals selected this as a representative review
RMI acknowledges the work of their employees through in house promotions. Most managers are good to work with. RMI has a top notch executive team. Very supportive and involved in day to day activities.

Amazing team and excellent corporate structure

I was hired at Russel Metals in 2020 during the pandemic, just over a year later I have nothing but good things to say. Russel Metals is a large network of truly amazing humans. What a breath of fresh air after 18 years in Electrical wholesale. My skills were very transferable making for an easy transition…but the biggest differences I see are in the management level. Here life/work balance is taken seriously, employees are encouraged to think about their impact on the company, their health, finances, and overall how to live a better life and make better decisions. This is a very positive atmosphere, even during challenging days where the workload can be large, but manageable with the assets of a strong team. When you need support it’s there. I should have come here years ago!Good luck future applicants :)

Pros

Pay scale, team interaction, management

Cons

Learning the industry if you are new can be a challenge but not overwhelmingly so

Great company culture

Yet to meet a person who wasn't a pleasure to deal with or talk too. Great corporate culture. There is truly an open door policy here from direct managers all the way to executive management.

Pros

Compensation, Management, corporate culture

Cons

Nothing as of yet

Productive, safe environment where Management is concerned for the well being and safety of it's employees.

I have been an employee with Russel Metals for 20 years currently working in the Puslinch facility. Over the years I have moved up several job positions in the company but currently I'm an Operations Assistant. Russel Metals Inc. has programs for people who want to better their education to move up to other positions. There is a lot of room for advancement for anyone who is interested and willing. The company has a pension plan, great benefits, great vacation structure and bonuses. Most employees in my branch are long standing employees who have been with Russel for 10 to 30 years of service. The managers here are always looking at ways improve and maintain the safety at this facility. I was working from home remotely during this pandemic and I honestly enjoy coming to work instead of being at home for the interaction and involvement with the people here and the hands on part of my job. One day in the future I will retire from this company and I will look back with no regrets.

Pros

bonuses, barbeques, happy place to work

Cons

I can't think of any cons for my position and work atmosphere here.

No available advancement, poor management

From the time I started to when I went on maternity leave, my time at Russel Metals was good. Everyone got along, found myself to be busy and learning something new everyday. Once my maternity leave ended, and I returned.. my experience took a complete turn to the worst. My position and what I was doing disappeared without me knowing previously. I was then pushed into a monotonous position within administration where I found myself completely bored, sometimes doing no work all day. In regards to management - I found myself having a difficult time trying to find an accommodation when I came back in order to pick up my son from daycare and be able to continue working for the company.I was told by management to “tell someone who cares” while wanting me to choose work over my own family. I was told as well that I had no respect for other people after parking in a spot that was not designated for my manager. And, lastly he called me strong willed, as I said that I proudly take after my uncle and grandfather (who both passed.. and who also both worked with my manager). My manager proceeded to respond with “your uncle and grandfather were two very different people. Your uncle was the salt of the earth who had everyone’s respect while your grandfather had no ones respect nor anyone liked.” This is what broke the camels back and what forced me to look for new work.

Pros

Good and fun coworkers

Cons

Poor management, not busy, favouritism

There's far better places to work.

This company needs an overhaul from top to bottom if things are to ever improve here. So unorganized, so mismanaged, always behind on everything. Constantly back ordering customer orders. Many long-term customers have taken their business elsewhere. There's too much favoritism throughout the plant, passing off tasks to those who actually work and don't throw a hissy fit when told to do their job. Many long term employees have left for other jobs this year through frustration, and because they've simply had enough. Things used to be better here. It's been on a steady decline since I started here, and there's no hope in sight.

Pros

Pay is slightly above average

Cons

Poorly managed, no supervision.

Not a happy or nice place to work

The manager has zero people skills the lead hand yells at the crew every day telling them that we are retarted and useless the job is very demanding with little reward I worked there for 2 years hoping things would change but not for a big company I saw many people come and go some only lasting 1 month leaving crying and upset because of the lead hand

Pros

Cons

Demanding work no reward

When it’s busy it’s rewarding

When it’s busy it’s busy, with overtime, and a sense of accomplishment after the day is done. When it’s the slow time of year you’re afraid to go into work, layoffs hurt more than just the employee, no sense of job security at all.

Pros

Good wage

Cons

Won’t last long

Good co-workers

Enjoyed the work and the diversity of things to be done .Due to the economy and the cutbacks the work environment became rather strained. It's also a union job which has its pros and cons. Overall I enjoyed working there Russel is a good organization to work for. Other than I feel that the supervisory staff lacked experience in the industry.

Pros

Good coworkers

Cons

Lack of experienced supervisors

Very busy Steel Service Center

Great place to work just too fastpaced for me. Hard-working employees at this facility. Bosses were very demanding. Co-workers were very kind and helped a lot.

Work life balance was weak

The morale and culture of the workplace was not the greatest. People were insecure and needed to make themselves Look better by dragging others down. Management was the worst and most insecure by far

It paid the bills

There were obvious problems with obvious solutions. Overall it felt more like management was more interested in keeping the money up top than in helping the workers with morale or safety.

co workers were great

working at russel was a great experince and i enjoyed working for the people that i did. it was fast paced at times but i like that kind of work. the managers would fun to work with as well.

fun place to work

Working there was great, espeaially for a young kid. I learnt what I wanted and didn't want in my future job. Met some amazing people there. Always enjoyed working outside the best

Great Place to Work

Great company culture - very open door and flat in structure. Very fair total compensation package. Nice people in Corporate and the Branches. A lot of long term employees - speaks for itself.

Run don’t walk

Stay away from this company bad safety culture. Horrible employees union employees don’t care high on drugs loading steel. People sleeping on night shift management knows does nothing about it. If you value your life don’t work here.

Pros

Cons

Don’t even apply

The worst plae to work at

Worst management They have policies In place but they do not follow them Longest employee there was me and I was there 1 year in the financing sector

great experience

Commuted to Mississauga to work for Russel Metals. Was with the company a very long time. Office was always clean and fellow employees were friendly and professional.

Not bad

I was here for a year it was okay alright I would say. I like steel and dust and they sure got lots of it I'll tell ya. Watch your legs bud, watch your legs.

decent company

Great company with great potential but still operating in the past. no flexible work hours, hardly any movement or development opportunities - not good nor bad.

Local Branch is a great place to work

The local branch is a great place to work. If we had more/any corporate support the local branch would be much more successful. Current management is only interested numbers on a spreadsheet, no human interaction with workers or customers.

Pros

No policts

Cons

Lack of corporate support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Russel Metals. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement