Russel Metals Employee Reviews

Not bad
Steel Guy (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 January 2019
I was here for a year it was okay alright I would say. I like steel and dust and they sure got lots of it I'll tell ya. Watch your legs bud, watch your legs.
decent company
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 January 2019
Great company with great potential but still operating in the past. no flexible work hours, hardly any movement or development opportunities - not good nor bad.
Local Branch is a great place to work
Manager Thunder Bay Operation (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON3 December 2018
The local branch is a great place to work. If we had more/any corporate support the local branch would be much more successful. Current management is only interested numbers on a spreadsheet, no human interaction with workers or customers.
Pros
No policts
Cons
Lack of corporate support
daily life and responsibilities
CTL Helper Final Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 November 2018
show up to work everyday, assist in the daily maintenance and operation of the cut to length line. Helped to maintain quality of metal production and shipping. Cross trained to transfer from bay to bay to assist in meeting deadlines. I would work different shifts ( day, evening and nights) as required by the company.
Pros
lots of routine
Cons
great benefits
Work life will be based on YOU
Operator / Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB10 August 2018
The day to day grind outcome will depend entirely on you.

A bit of background on myself. I'm a very hardworking and intelligent individual. I dont need direction when I know what I'm doing. I did my work, and most of the time I picked up the slack for others who didn't pull their weight. As a result, management was very happy with me. I got lots of hours, probably taking more than i should have. I left to go back to school, but in an effort to keep me I was offered everything short of the moon.

Takeaways:
- If you dont want to put in the effort, work hard and not meander like a mindless drone, dont be upset when your sitting at the bottom of the totem pole
- Addition to top remark: work here for X number of years doesnt mean you get constant free passes. If your a drain you should be let go and re-evaluate why your such a lazy sack.
- Concerns are heard but not always acted upon. This is normal for many workplaces. Not all suggestions are good suggestions. You have ideas? So what, everyone else does too. You're hired to do a job. Give your input but leave it at that.
-Whine and everyone is likely to become annoyed with you. Dont be that guy. It's stupid.
Pros
Alot of overtime, great pay based on YOUR work ethic, fun people to work with (for the most part)
Cons
Lazy people still managed to get hired
2018 at the moment going down
Industrial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 August 2018
not bad place, with no bright future.they supply with PPE, matching shares up to 3%, and have disant pension plan.the place is split between office people non-union and floor people -union.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
not everybody is friendly
Productive workplace
Service Centre Representatiive (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 April 2018
Learned to work as a team member. Fellow workers always available to answer any kind of questions we may have. Management was equally open to help staff as well.
Poor Management
Worker (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan30 March 2018
Management unapproachable and unavailable. Promoted by tenure rather than appropriate skill set and leadership skills.

Overtime hardly ever required but mostly due to the fact that job analysis isn't completed leaving some areas overstaffed and some severely understaffed.

Management unwillingness or inability to effectively manage the financials and not provide profit sharing at this location.
A pleasant place to work
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 March 2018
I worked there for 3 years and found everyone to be friendly. The workload was variable and some days were very difficult to keep up with orders. Everyone there was pleasant to work with and management seemed to hesitate to micro manage.
Pros
Work-life balance
OK place to work. A lot of issues within management
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 March 2018
I started off in an entry level position which was Bar Pulling. I was in charge of making sure that orders were getting done as per priority. I did that for 3 years then worked my way up to a Machine Helper. I worked on a Brake Press and a Shear. I also would fill in for the material handler in that Bay when needed. I was then upgraded once more to a Cut-To-Length Helper. We would run 48''-72'' wide coils of steel through the machine. Then it would be stretched leveled and cut to the customers specifications. Management there was touch and go. Sometimes things would run smoothly and other times the complete opposite. Most of the guys I worked with were decent, but of course like anywhere, you're going to have people who are just miserable. The hardest Past of the job was how busy we would get sometimes. Just keeping up with the orders was difficult the odd time. The most enjoyable part of the job was having a purpose. Getting up everyday and going to work and making money.

Want to know more about Russel Metals?

Ask a question
unorginized
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK7 February 2018
Company has excellent purchasing and sales department. But getting material out the door was an issue.. So customer confidences sometimes was an issue
Pros
once a month staff lunches
Cons
management seemed to have agendas for their areas that did not coincide
Productive and fun place to work
Administrative Supervisor/Traffic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON26 September 2017
I fully enjoyed working here. It was an amazing company to work for! The people and management were great to work with and I learned so much over the years!
good place
BRAKE AND SHEAR OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB28 July 2017
good place good people easy enviroment to work in and management can be underastanding also family oriented and allows you to maintain a life outside of work
Pros
good people
Cons
nothing out of the normal
Boring
Slave (Former Employee) –  Alberta29 May 2017
Management sucks, people are rats and snitches. Nobody can be trusted as it will used against you. Very difficult to understand policies as they as changed to suit the company and not employees
Working for russel metals inc.
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 May 2017
I work Through a temp agency, while working for Russel Metals Inc. I have the opportunity to expanse my working experience. My day would start with getting paperwork ready for the Admin. team to file while I distribution mail and answering phones.
The management was great they were very supporting, They show that the care for their staff. I really can't same anything negative about the management or the job i was doing.
Pros
Working with a great team
Cons
Having to leave a company that I came to enjoy
Personnel friendly and easy to work with.
Inside Sales Supervisor / Processing (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 April 2017
I enjoy the team building aspects of my job and the people working in my department. They were receptive to suggestions made by myself and upper management.
Pros
Bonus Plan
Cons
Sales and production interaction.
Fun place to work. Everyone gets along with each other
Warehouseman (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 April 2017
On a typical day there was lots to do. everyone helped with their part making the job very effective. Great place to work,supervisors were fair and imput was valued
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
not much chance of advancment
Fast phased workplace with fun working atmosphere.
QA Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 November 2016
Old fashion management style, but an effective distributor of steel products, customer service oriented with steady workflow. Immediate inspection of non-conforming products is sometimes not doable without disrupting daily loading schedules.Finding solutions to some difficult work situations is enjoyable in fulfilling a typical day. The downside of the fast phased work environment is work safety. Younger workers are sometimes over confident and hurt themselves.
Pros
Social Club
Decent
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 November 2016
A decent place to work with good pay and benefits. also availability to advance and educate. Work is static and never changing
Russel Metal
Traffic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON26 July 2016
I work for Liberty staffing to get the temp job with Russel meta. It was a great experience and this job was a stepping stool on getting my experience in Transportation.
It was an organizated comapany that had a strong sales team
Pros
First experience in Transportation and warehousing
Cons
Lack of supervision after the day shift