Russel Metals Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Worker (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan30 March 2018
Management unapproachable and unavailable. Promoted by tenure rather than appropriate skill set and leadership skills.

Overtime hardly ever required but mostly due to the fact that job analysis isn't completed leaving some areas overstaffed and some severely understaffed.

Management unwillingness or inability to effectively manage the financials and not provide profit sharing at this location.
A pleasant place to work
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 March 2018
I worked there for 3 years and found everyone to be friendly. The workload was variable and some days were very difficult to keep up with orders. Everyone there was pleasant to work with and management seemed to hesitate to micro manage.
Pros
Work-life balance
OK place to work. A lot of issues within management
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 March 2018
I started off in an entry level position which was Bar Pulling. I was in charge of making sure that orders were getting done as per priority. I did that for 3 years then worked my way up to a Machine Helper. I worked on a Brake Press and a Shear. I also would fill in for the material handler in that Bay when needed. I was then upgraded once more to a Cut-To-Length Helper. We would run 48''-72'' wide coils of steel through the machine. Then it would be stretched leveled and cut to the customers specifications. Management there was touch and go. Sometimes things would run smoothly and other times the complete opposite. Most of the guys I worked with were decent, but of course like anywhere, you're going to have people who are just miserable. The hardest Past of the job was how busy we would get sometimes. Just keeping up with the orders was difficult the odd time. The most enjoyable part of the job was having a purpose. Getting up everyday and going to work and making money.
unorginized
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK7 February 2018
Company has excellent purchasing and sales department. But getting material out the door was an issue.. So customer confidences sometimes was an issue
Pros
once a month staff lunches
Cons
management seemed to have agendas for their areas that did not coincide
Productive and fun place to work
Administrative Supervisor/Traffic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON26 September 2017
I fully enjoyed working here. It was an amazing company to work for! The people and management were great to work with and I learned so much over the years!
good place
BRAKE AND SHEAR OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB28 July 2017
good place good people easy enviroment to work in and management can be underastanding also family oriented and allows you to maintain a life outside of work
Pros
good people
Cons
nothing out of the normal
Boring
Slave (Former Employee) –  Alberta29 May 2017
Management sucks, people are rats and snitches. Nobody can be trusted as it will used against you. Very difficult to understand policies as they as changed to suit the company and not employees
Working for russel metals inc.
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 May 2017
I work Through a temp agency, while working for Russel Metals Inc. I have the opportunity to expanse my working experience. My day would start with getting paperwork ready for the Admin. team to file while I distribution mail and answering phones.
The management was great they were very supporting, They show that the care for their staff. I really can't same anything negative about the management or the job i was doing.
Pros
Working with a great team
Cons
Having to leave a company that I came to enjoy
Personnel friendly and easy to work with.
Inside Sales Supervisor / Processing (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 April 2017
I enjoy the team building aspects of my job and the people working in my department. They were receptive to suggestions made by myself and upper management.
Pros
Bonus Plan
Cons
Sales and production interaction.
Fun place to work. Everyone gets along with each other
Warehouseman (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 April 2017
On a typical day there was lots to do. everyone helped with their part making the job very effective. Great place to work,supervisors were fair and imput was valued
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
not much chance of advancment
Fast phased workplace with fun working atmosphere.
QA Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 November 2016
Old fashion management style, but an effective distributor of steel products, customer service oriented with steady workflow. Immediate inspection of non-conforming products is sometimes not doable without disrupting daily loading schedules.Finding solutions to some difficult work situations is enjoyable in fulfilling a typical day. The downside of the fast phased work environment is work safety. Younger workers are sometimes over confident and hurt themselves.
Pros
Social Club
Decent
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 November 2016
A decent place to work with good pay and benefits. also availability to advance and educate. Work is static and never changing
Russel Metal
Traffic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON26 July 2016
I work for Liberty staffing to get the temp job with Russel meta. It was a great experience and this job was a stepping stool on getting my experience in Transportation.
It was an organizated comapany that had a strong sales team
Pros
First experience in Transportation and warehousing
Cons
Lack of supervision after the day shift
Not a place for the weak
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 May 2016
underpaid and overworked.
One sales man schedules all work, puts his jobs first followed by others.
Underpaid for the amount of work that is done, and under appreciated for the amount of work that is done.
Difficult setting to work in as management has favorite's and if you don't fall in that list then your days are numbered and made hard so that you either quit or make enough mistakes and get let go.
Benefits
Cons
Too much to list
weekly outings with employees for lunch
sales representative (Former Employee) –  Boucherville, QC23 March 2016
I worked for this company on -2- occasions,from 1976 to 1987,and 2003to2014 .
now I am retired and looking for a pat time job.
every day was a pleasure to wake up and go to work.
over the years there were many training programs,that the company sent us on (purchasing@sales).
I always had a very good relationship with the people I worked with.
the hardest part of the job was when I lost an order,and the easiest was dealing with customers
Pros
learning on the job
Consistent Workplace - nowhere to go and low comp however
Corporate Management (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 February 2016
-Relatively no changes day to day; culture of anti-change entrenched in most employees
-Upper management does not provide honest, two way communication about economic environment to employees
-Strong nepotism and 'Old Boys Club' among senior staff; mid and lower level staff used as scapegoats for poor results. No accountability for executives.
-Good work life balance, however nowhere to move up within organization (extremely flat)
-During compensation meetings; comp for non-senior exec staff often far below market, which is said to be made up for by large bonuses. However bonuses never meet forecasts or expectations.
Pros
9-5 job, low stress environment
Cons
No career advancement, low pay, nepitism, zero accountability for management
Russel Metals - A Family Company
LOGISTICS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 November 2015
Russel Metals does not take it lightly when they speak of customer service. As the number 1 tenant of the company, they push the envelope with innovation to provide the customer what they need. This number is the through-line of the company and reflects back upon its service to its own employees. Russel Metals looks after its own which results in a better service to their customer.
Benefits
Cons
Inexperienced management team
was ok place to work
Saw Operator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB30 June 2015
coworkers were ok, busy days would go fast, could always find work to do, inside or out, could help other workers with their jobs
Cons
can not say
Amazing Employees
Regional Controller (Former Employee) –  Edmonton2 April 2015
Amazing Employees. Great experience. Great Salary. Bonus for completion. Training was awesome. Expectations fair. That is the end
Productive and diverse workplace with opportunity for growth
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 March 2015
Russel Metals is a supportive company with great benefits and lots of opportunity for growth when skills are displayed. It is a fast paced environment with lots of diverse coworkers who are fun to work with. I enjoyed providing quotes for processed steel in various sectors and learned to read AutoCAD drawings and customer sketches. I also enjoyed the contact I had with my customers and working to ensure they had the products they needed as quickly as possible.

Very supportive management was crucial to my professional growth.

I created many business relationships at Russel, many of whom I am still in contact with for many reasons. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the pace while still maintaining quality and attention to detail. When the steel market is busy, customers need it yesterday!
Pros
Fast paced evironment
Cons
Long hours for those who want to ensure customer satisfaction