Russel Metals

Russel Metals Employee Reviews

Canada54 reviews
Very busy Steel Service Center
Great place to work just too fastpaced for me. Hard-working employees at this facility. Bosses were very demanding. Co-workers were very kind and helped a lot.
Excellent company to work for.
RMI acknowledges the work of their employees through in house promotions. Most managers are good to work with. RMI has a top notch executive team. Very supportive and involved in day to day activities.
Always busy
There is always something to keep you busy and make the day go by fast.
The warehouse staff are not the friendliest people, but they warm up to you. You can leave your job at Friday at 5pm and not worry about it till Monday at 830am
Work life balance was weak
The morale and culture of the workplace was not the greatest. People were insecure and needed to make themselves Look better by dragging others down. Management was the worst and most insecure by far
It paid the bills
There were obvious problems with obvious solutions. Overall it felt more like management was more interested in keeping the money up top than in helping the workers with morale or safety.
co workers were great
working at russel was a great experince and i enjoyed working for the people that i did. it was fast paced at times but i like that kind of work. the managers would fun to work with as well.
fun place to work
Working there was great, espeaially for a young kid. I learnt what I wanted and didn't want in my future job. Met some amazing people there. Always enjoyed working outside the best
Great Place to Work
Great company culture - very open door and flat in structure.
Very fair total compensation package.

Nice people in Corporate and the Branches.

A lot of long term employees - speaks for itself.
Run don’t walk
Stay away from this company bad safety culture. Horrible employees union employees don’t care high on drugs loading steel. People sleeping on night shift management knows does nothing about it. If you value your life don’t work here.
Pros
Cons
Don’t even apply
The worst plae to work at
Worst management
They have policies In place but they do not follow them

Longest employee there was me and I was there 1 year in the financing sector
great experience
Commuted to Mississauga to work for Russel Metals. Was with the company a very long time. Office was always clean and fellow employees were friendly and professional.
Not bad
I was here for a year it was okay alright I would say. I like steel and dust and they sure got lots of it I'll tell ya. Watch your legs bud, watch your legs.
decent company
Great company with great potential but still operating in the past. no flexible work hours, hardly any movement or development opportunities - not good nor bad.
Local Branch is a great place to work
The local branch is a great place to work. If we had more/any corporate support the local branch would be much more successful. Current management is only interested numbers on a spreadsheet, no human interaction with workers or customers.
Pros
No policts
Cons
Lack of corporate support
daily life and responsibilities
show up to work everyday, assist in the daily maintenance and operation of the cut to length line. Helped to maintain quality of metal production and shipping. Cross trained to transfer from bay to bay to assist in meeting deadlines. I would work different shifts ( day, evening and nights) as required by the company.
Pros
lots of routine
Cons
great benefits
Work life will be based on YOU
The day to day grind outcome will depend entirely on you.

A bit of background on myself. I'm a very hardworking and intelligent individual. I dont need direction when I know what I'm doing. I did my work, and most of the time I picked up the slack for others who didn't pull their weight. As a result, management was very happy with me. I got lots of hours, probably taking more than i should have. I left to go back to school, but in an effort to keep me I was offered everything short of the moon.

Takeaways:

- If you dont want to put in the effort, work hard and not meander like a mindless drone, dont be upset when your sitting at the bottom of the totem pole

- Addition to top remark: work here for X number of years doesnt mean you get constant free passes. If your a drain you should be let go and re-evaluate why your such a lazy sack.

- Concerns are heard but not always acted upon. This is normal for many workplaces. Not all suggestions are good suggestions. You have ideas? So what, everyone else does too. You're hired to do a job. Give your input but leave it at that.

-Whine and everyone is likely to become annoyed with you. Dont be that guy. It's stupid.
Pros
Alot of overtime, great pay based on YOUR work ethic, fun people to work with (for the most part)
Cons
Lazy people still managed to get hired
2018 at the moment going down
not bad place, with no bright future.they supply with PPE, matching shares up to 3%, and have disant pension plan.the place is split between office people non-union and floor people -union.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
not everybody is friendly
Productive workplace
Learned to work as a team member. Fellow workers always available to answer any kind of questions we may have. Management was equally open to help staff as well.
Poor Management
Management unapproachable and unavailable. Promoted by tenure rather than appropriate skill set and leadership skills.

Overtime hardly ever required but mostly due to the fact that job analysis isn't completed leaving some areas overstaffed and some severely understaffed.

Management unwillingness or inability to effectively manage the financials and not provide profit sharing at this location.
A pleasant place to work
I worked there for 3 years and found everyone to be friendly. The workload was variable and some days were very difficult to keep up with orders. Everyone there was pleasant to work with and management seemed to hesitate to micro manage.
Pros
Work-life balance
OK place to work. A lot of issues within management
I started off in an entry level position which was Bar Pulling. I was in charge of making sure that orders were getting done as per priority. I did that for 3 years then worked my way up to a Machine Helper. I worked on a Brake Press and a Shear. I also would fill in for the material handler in that Bay when needed. I was then upgraded once more to a Cut-To-Length Helper. We would run 48''-72'' wide coils of steel through the machine. Then it would be stretched leveled and cut to the customers specifications. Management there was touch and go. Sometimes things would run smoothly and other times the complete opposite. Most of the guys I worked with were decent, but of course like anywhere, you're going to have people who are just miserable. The hardest Past of the job was how busy we would get sometimes. Just keeping up with the orders was difficult the odd time. The most enjoyable part of the job was having a purpose. Getting up everyday and going to work and making money.