Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre

Working at Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre: Employee Reviews

Canada50 reviews

patientstaffcaremanagementplacepeoplegreatworking

It's all about the $$$

even though they say patient care is their main priority, that starts with staff satisfaction. overworked and unsatisfied staff cause safety risks for the patients. Not a great pace to work unless you don't mind having little to no input into any aspect of your work.

Horrible Managment

No support, horrible managers. Thankless. Their idea of thanks is a hat with RVH on it. Managers no nothing about staff's desks and daily work flow. Disgusting how managers walk around like they're so much better than staff

Pros

Cons

No support.

Insights into Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Energizing work tasks

Most fulfilling organization I've ever worked for

This is the best location that I have been fortunate enough to work for. TEAM RVH employees are a big family, everyone looks out for each other. Management has a progressive and ever evolving mindset open to hearing feedback and embracing change. I.E - compressed schedule for the summer (4 days instead of 5) Love the dedication put into the Diversity, Inclusion, Equity and Belonging committee they have. Good pay, proud to work here and I suggest to everyone. :)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Work from home, Competitive Pay

Cons

Wellness centre has been closed for over a year due to COVID

Toxic corporate management. Overworked and exhausted, but great front line colleagues.

Worst of the 3 hospitals I've worked for as an Allied Health Professional in my 20 years. Constant expectation to work unpaid overtime, and management acts like you are the problem if you get burnt out. Moved to RVH for the increased salary, but it wasn't worth it. Was there for 4 years, and then applied for my old position at my previous employer. 20 years in the field, and RVH is by far my worst experience. Colleagues were wonderful talented people, but completely exhausted and burnt out as well. Some colleagues in other fields seemed happy, but I recommend looking elsewhere if you are a front line Allied Health Professional (OT, PT, SLP, etc.).

Reasonable place to work.

Its a reasonable place to work, however things over the last 2 years have been stressful. Not enough people to back fill sick leaves. Management doesn't always think through their decisions, how it will impact patients or the people doing the work.I would say the people you work with are wonderful, and are the best part of the job.

Good place to work with good Teammates

Lots of nice people ready to help you find your grips. Safety measures is firmly in place and client/Patient Service is top notch. A fairly big hospital with over 3000 staff members both full time and part time.

Ambitious and energetic workplace with opportunities to grow within

The Cardiac Rehab department is the best department within RVH to work for, as they are supportive, encouraging and have an awesome team environment. Great dept for growth and space to apply your ideas.

Pros

Support, encouragement, happy and fun team

Cons

Company has mandatory vaccine policy

Good opportunities for career advancement

Managers have been great. I’ve had the opportunity to change clinical specialties with good support from management. Great nursing teammates. No regrets choosing this hospital as my workplace.

Bad management. Always understaffed. Always had great co workers but senior employees treated new staff badly

Understaffed. Bad managers on most floors. Hospital cares more about how they look on paper than how they function in reality. Staff not appreciated, favouritism by managers to their favorite staff always given before skill set and proper employee given opportunities they deserve

Pros

Good orientation, always available shifts

Cons

Bad management, treated as a number, no personal attentiveness to staff, hospital cares more about how they look on paper

Not a professionaly lead hospital. To "top" heavy.

Close team members were an amazing family net. Management did not care about any and all concerns, even say. Very much who you know and how you will suck up to move ahead. No work/life balance. To many senior leaders, not enough actual people working.

Enjoyed the environment and coworkers

Most of my day was providing directions in the hospital for patients and visitors. Transporting patients by wheelchair, stretcher or bed to other departments. It could be tough to get ahold of the department manager, but was not often required. Most staff were very nice and welcoming. Some definitely have a "holier than thou" complex. It was tough at times when you worked alongside young kids. I really enjoyed getting to chat with a variety of people every day.

Current employee

Working as a nurse for over ten years there, the culture is very difficult. Management will not support you. It is a very toxic work environment that is difficult to leave. The bullying is constant despite the “no harassment” policy. The workers are underpaid and overworked. Horizontal violence is in abundance. Your voice is silenced. You are not allowed to speak about what happens behind closed doors or you risk getting fired. Burn out is real.

Productive friendly place to work

Great place to work very friendly and easy going environment. Very helpful while learning and asking questions. Very flexible with your schedule and easy to pick up shifts.

Pros

Excellent management

Cons

Not very much training

Wouldn't recommend

Part-time staff: Disorganized scheduling - will be fighting for shifts most of the time if you want full-time hoursIf you are a float, be prepared to be moved to a different floor with short notice after getting report. Managers - Do not care about their staff. Do NOT want you to excel in your career. Poor management skills.If wanting to move to another floor/position -HR/management will block you from doing so. Because of short staffing.Difficult to fight with union.Lots of bullying/clicks - Certain floors are worse than others. If you are new, it can be difficult to make friends .Staff are unhappy and do not want to be therePatient assignments are high and NOT worth your license, management does not care. Period. I was hired for a temporary position - overjoyed when I got the temporary position - thinking I would try to apply for a permanent position. I was GLAD when I left RVH. They have a lot to do to fix their organization.

Pros

Wage

Cons

Nurse/patient ratio, bullying, managers

I love working at RVH it’s an amazing place and such great colleagues to work with. I feel very respected and see how the values of the organization really impact the care we provide.

Pros

Everthing

Cons

Wage could be better

What its like to work at rvh

Iv learned how to communicate better with sick people. And be in a environment like this. I've created good relationships with my employees. I've got trained I'm every area.

Pros

Good salary

Cons

Very good place for students to learn

I was a co-op student at RVH as well as an ER volunteer. Overall I can say that the establishment was very organized, and the staff members treated the volunteers and students with respect. I would recommend to a student interested in healthcare.

Not what it appears to be

Was so happy to start working there, but then....you're told to CARE. MY CARE values are so different then what they want to you to care about. Because they dont actually want you to care. They thrive on intimidation.you can't stand up for yourself.

There are much better dietary jobs out there

Very hard to make a living as most positions are part time and older staff refuse to retire. The kitchen has a serious bullying problem with a handful of the regular staff bullying the part time staff. When brought to supervisor and manager’s attention nothing has improved. Before being hired was told I would be working in the kitchen but actually spend half of my shifts working in the dish room I have been passed over to be trained in kitchen opportunities for less senior staff

Do not recommend

RVas easy been the worst place that I have worked at in over a decade. I put many years into this place and sonority really wasn't taken into account for new positions. They accept externals instead making nurses feel trapped, unsatisfied, resentful and disloyal. They also will hire family members with no experience over those who do have experience. I brought this up both to management and HR and it got me nowhere. I have been MUCH happier since quitting.

Management is brutal

They care nothing about employees , especially if you are an injured worker. Patient to nurse ratio is inherently unsafe placing both at risk. Staff turnover in some departments is excessively high, reflective of the poor moral.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement