Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre

Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre Employee Reviews

Canada44 reviews

Bad management. Always understaffed. Always had great co workers but senior employees treated new staff badly

Understaffed. Bad managers on most floors. Hospital cares more about how they look on paper than how they function in reality. Staff not appreciated, favouritism by managers to their favorite staff always given before skill set and proper employee given opportunities they deserve

Pros

Good orientation, always available shifts

Cons

Bad management, treated as a number, no personal attentiveness to staff, hospital cares more about how they look on paper

Good opportunities for career advancement

Managers have been great. I’ve had the opportunity to change clinical specialties with good support from management. Great nursing teammates. No regrets choosing this hospital as my workplace.

Not a professionaly lead hospital. To "top" heavy.

Close team members were an amazing family net. Management did not care about any and all concerns, even say. Very much who you know and how you will suck up to move ahead. No work/life balance. To many senior leaders, not enough actual people working.

Toxic environment

Poor manager relationships, unsafe workloads, poor support from union. Lack of support in general. Lack of required resources. Unorganized. Minimal orientation.

Enjoyed the environment and coworkers

Most of my day was providing directions in the hospital for patients and visitors. Transporting patients by wheelchair, stretcher or bed to other departments. It could be tough to get ahold of the department manager, but was not often required. Most staff were very nice and welcoming. Some definitely have a "holier than thou" complex. It was tough at times when you worked alongside young kids. I really enjoyed getting to chat with a variety of people every day.

Current employee

Working as a nurse for over ten years there, the culture is very difficult. Management will not support you. It is a very toxic work environment that is difficult to leave. The bullying is constant despite the “no harassment” policy. The workers are underpaid and overworked. Horizontal violence is in abundance. Your voice is silenced. You are not allowed to speak about what happens behind closed doors or you risk getting fired. Burn out is real.

Productive friendly place to work

Great place to work very friendly and easy going environment. Very helpful while learning and asking questions. Very flexible with your schedule and easy to pick up shifts.

Pros

Excellent management

Cons

Not very much training

Wouldn't recommend

Part-time staff: Disorganized scheduling - will be fighting for shifts most of the time if you want full-time hoursIf you are a float, be prepared to be moved to a different floor with short notice after getting report. Managers - Do not care about their staff. Do NOT want you to excel in your career. Poor management skills.If wanting to move to another floor/position -HR/management will block you from doing so. Because of short staffing.Difficult to fight with union.Lots of bullying/clicks - Certain floors are worse than others. If you are new, it can be difficult to make friends .Staff are unhappy and do not want to be therePatient assignments are high and NOT worth your license, management does not care. Period. I was hired for a temporary position - overjoyed when I got the temporary position - thinking I would try to apply for a permanent position. I was GLAD when I left RVH. They have a lot to do to fix their organization.

Pros

Wage

Cons

Nurse/patient ratio, bullying, managers

I love working at RVH it’s an amazing place and such great colleagues to work with. I feel very respected and see how the values of the organization really impact the care we provide.

Pros

Everthing

Cons

Wage could be better

What its like to work at rvh

Iv learned how to communicate better with sick people. And be in a environment like this. I've created good relationships with my employees. I've got trained I'm every area.

Pros

Good salary

Cons

Very good place for students to learn

I was a co-op student at RVH as well as an ER volunteer. Overall I can say that the establishment was very organized, and the staff members treated the volunteers and students with respect. I would recommend to a student interested in healthcare.

Not what it appears to be

Was so happy to start working there, but then....you're told to CARE. MY CARE values are so different then what they want to you to care about. Because they dont actually want you to care. They thrive on intimidation.you can't stand up for yourself.

There are much better dietary jobs out there

Very hard to make a living as most positions are part time and older staff refuse to retire. The kitchen has a serious bullying problem with a handful of the regular staff bullying the part time staff. When brought to supervisor and manager’s attention nothing has improved. Before being hired was told I would be working in the kitchen but actually spend half of my shifts working in the dish room I have been passed over to be trained in kitchen opportunities for less senior staff

Do not recommend

RVas easy been the worst place that I have worked at in over a decade. I put many years into this place and sonority really wasn't taken into account for new positions. They accept externals instead making nurses feel trapped, unsatisfied, resentful and disloyal. They also will hire family members with no experience over those who do have experience. I brought this up both to management and HR and it got me nowhere. I have been MUCH happier since quitting.

Management is brutal

They care nothing about employees , especially if you are an injured worker. Patient to nurse ratio is inherently unsafe placing both at risk. Staff turnover in some departments is excessively high, reflective of the poor moral.

Great place of employment

Very fast paced work environment. Learning new skills daily. Staff and management are amazing, hours are good, competitive pay, great HOOP benefits, lots of room for further career development.

Great work environment

Great work environment, flexible office hours, great staff, very accommodating with needs, great pay. A little bit of turn around within staff, but overall great experience.

Enjoyable place to work

-24/7 facility -variety of shifts; 8/12 hours -diverse staff -numerous opportunities for advancement -excellent salary and benefits offered -high volumes of patients seen

Excellent student placement experience.

RVH was a fantastic placement to utilize spiritually-integrated psychotherapy. Fantastic supervisor, great team to work with (and to consult on tough cases), I really could not have asked for more. The hardest part for me was having to leave due to my partner being posted.

Pension and pay good

Pay is ok for what we do, but getting time off is almost impossible Employees are great management is not so great Having a pension at the end is why most people work here

Pros

pension and pay

Cons

cant get time off

Disappointing

Unacceptably long waits and staff to do not seem to care about their paitients. Understandably so, it’s a hospital serving many people, BUT there is no reason as to why patient's should be treated without respect, courtesy, etc. I've seen many negative online reviews about this hospital, and from personal experience I just didn't enjoy my time I spent doing my clinicals here

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement