Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre

-24/7 facility
-variety of shifts; 8/12 hours

-diverse staff

-numerous opportunities for advancement

-excellent salary and benefits offered

-high volumes of patients seen
Very good place for students to learn
I was a co-op student at RVH as well as an ER volunteer. Overall I can say that the establishment was very organized, and the staff members treated the volunteers and students with respect. I would recommend to a student interested in healthcare.
Not what it appears to be
Was so happy to start working there, but then....you're told to CARE. MY CARE values are so different then what they want to you to care about. Because they dont actually want you to care.
They thrive on intimidation.you can't stand up for yourself.
There are much better dietary jobs out there
Very hard to make a living as most positions are part time and older staff refuse to retire. The kitchen has a serious bullying problem with a handful of the regular staff bullying the part time staff. When brought to supervisor and manager’s attention nothing has improved. Before being hired was told I would be working in the kitchen but actually spend half of my shifts working in the dish room I have been passed over to be trained in kitchen opportunities for less senior staff
Do not recommend
RVas easy been the worst place that I have worked at in over a decade. I put many years into this place and sonority really wasn't taken into account for new positions. They accept externals instead making nurses feel trapped, unsatisfied, resentful and disloyal. They also will hire family members with no experience over those who do have experience. I brought this up both to management and HR and it got me nowhere. I have been MUCH happier since quitting.
Management is brutal
They care nothing about employees , especially if you are an injured worker.
Patient to nurse ratio is inherently unsafe placing both at risk. Staff turnover in some departments is excessively high, reflective of the poor moral.
Great place of employment
Very fast paced work environment. Learning new skills daily. Staff and management are amazing, hours are good, competitive pay, great HOOP benefits, lots of room for further career development.
Great work environment
Great work environment, flexible office hours, great staff, very accommodating with needs, great pay. A little bit of turn around within staff, but overall great experience.
Excellent student placement experience.
RVH was a fantastic placement to utilize spiritually-integrated psychotherapy. Fantastic supervisor, great team to work with (and to consult on tough cases), I really could not have asked for more. The hardest part for me was having to leave due to my partner being posted.
Pension and pay good
Pay is ok for what we do, but getting time off is almost impossible
Employees are great management is not so great

Having a pension at the end is why most people work here
Pros
pension and pay
Cons
cant get time off
Disappointing
Unacceptably long waits and staff to do not seem to care about their paitients. Understandably so, it’s a hospital serving many people, BUT there is no reason as to why patient's should be treated without respect, courtesy, etc. I've seen many negative online reviews about this hospital, and from personal experience I just didn't enjoy my time I spent doing my clinicals here
Amazing
Amazing staff, atmosphere and patient care. It is a privilege to work with dedicated professionals. I look forward to coming to work each day and helping my team grow.
It's a great place to work
I work as a Phlebotomist at RVH. It's an amazing place to work. Management is very supportive of staff. Workload is getting heavier though and sometimes it's understaffed. Coworkers are lovely to work with and always willing to help out when they can. RVH just needs to hire more Phlebotomists for the laboratory and it'll be 5 stars.
Pros
Supportive management
Cons
Workload to employee ratio is too high at times
Productive environement with structure
Excellent place to work and learn with structure for management. Lots of levels of meetings and there is a process for every detail.
Excellent procurement structure
Pros
growing workplace
Career Oriented
I work with an excellent team of professionals.
Many opportunities to move around within the organization.

Everchanging and advancement in technology and pratices.
burnout

and

staff

cliques

bullying,
I'm an Anesthesia Assistant at RVH and I love it. Our role within the OR is well developed and allows us to use a variety of skills within our scope of practice every day. Not only is the role great, but our entire Anesthesia department is wonderful to work with daily. They appreciate our help and utilize us frequently in a variety of areas in the OR and out.
Unpaid work but a good learning experience
Many of the jobs that once paid a wage have been shifted to volunteer work. RVH takes on ~800 volunteers and they expect you to do a lot. Great to enhance communication skills and initiative however often student volunteers would not be acknowledged (they would plan barbecues and events for the volunteers on the first day of school instead of a weekend).
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
unpaid work
too corporate
hard to advance career here
fun, busy atmosphere

good options at cafeteria

great co-workers

wonderful patients

hardest part is seeing other people advance when they kiss up
Staff culture needs to improve
As a staff member you were never sure who would be the next one ~walked~ out. If management didn't like you...you were gone!
I believe there are many great people that work here, however, a review of upper management is needed in order for trust to start to rebuild in this organization.
Pros
Lots of great people work here
Cons
Senior Management
Welcoming Environment
From the moment I stepped into Rvh, everyone was very welcoming and very helpful. Also it was a very good experience, I learned a lot about where I wanted to go to school and what field I wanted to work in.