Royal University Hospital

Royal University Hospital Employee Reviews

As a nursing student it was very educational and the nurses were very helpful. The hospital was always clean and tidy in the hallways, and equipment was always stocked.
It is a pleasant workplace. Offers a good benefit for you and your family and dependents. Parking is a challenge.
Busy but fairly good place to work. Fails to provide parking spaces for employees. Trauma centre of the province and now has the childrens hospital attached to the main hospital.
Pros
near the river where you can take a walk during break
Cons
difficult parking
Royal University hospital is an acute care hospital with 450 beaded hospital, facility includes modern equipment, adult and pediatric treatments, obstructive gynecology etc.
A typical day at work in the ER was fast paced, The staff on were always supportive and the management I had was fantastic! The hardest part of the job was the shiftwork when my family was starting to expand.
They offer good benefits. Managers are easy to deal with. Though other employees feel superior especially if you are still a trainee. Parking is a problem as you need to pay for it everyday.
Challenging and rewarding experience with ever changing priorities. Required exceptional communication skills, computer skills and understanding a acute care patients.
I would work here again! It is a great enviroment and the work place is comfortable and secure. Great stafff and benefits! My favorite hospital in edmonton so far!
Understaffing makes for a stressful work day. Healthcare workers have been asked to take a cut in pay. Staff are generally unhappy and this leads to conflict at the workplace.
Where I worked, it was a very busy environment. I worked 12 hr shifts. The department was a 365/7 days a week. My managers were great! They trusted in our abilities and were confident in our decision making. The job required problem solving, liasons with charge nurses, ward clerks, patients, doctors, clinical coordinator, all departments. It was a small department (about 40 staff). We all had to work as a team. It is a great department, awesome co-workers that all have become like family. I would say the hardest part of the job was walking away for a break, knowing your co-worker was being inundated with phone calls. We rarely took breaks, just because of that.
Pros
Great Place to work
Cons
Parking!
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Royal University Hospital?
I enjoyed working in RUH chemistry lab. They have competitive salary and great benefits. I love the fact that the test menu is very wide and the work is very diverse. Over all, as a new graduate, I enjoyed learning and working at RUH.
I worked at this place for a very short time before my husband was transferred back to Winnipeg. I worked in their small outpatient pharmacy, with a couple of really helpful pharmacists, I learned a lot about compounding from one of them!
Pros
Nice facility
the management and the people are nice. I like how helpful the other staff are. There's a union as well, so you feel safe from abuse from other staff or mistreatment.
Cons
Tax deductions is very high
Very good place to work. Great management and good support staff. Got to self schedule and my leave of absence was granted with no concerns. Break times were planned well
Pros
teaching hospital so great medical staff involvement
RUH is a very busy place, but great care is given here! Management is very helpful and work hard to protect the patients and workers. The employees at RUH are all co-workers and work together as a team, making the experience beneficial for clients and patients.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Hours
Upgrades are ongoing but many more are needed to get this hospital to the levels of other big, tertiary, metropolitan hospitals. Overall, a great place to work at because of the enthusiasm of the staff.
Pros
doctors are great
Cons
no free parking for staff
My work was the same as at St Paul's Hospital. I am a people person and enjoyed working with the public. It was a very stressful position as we were the front line in Emergency. I did Clerk work along with doing the floor work. Such as stocking, ordering supplies, and portering patients to the wards and for tests. I learned to relax in chaotic circumstances and how to laugh with the staff. The management was fairly good as running an ER is a very hard trying to keep the staff and patients happy.
Pros
The income and Meeting people
Cons
Long 12 hour shifts
Taught Special Care Aide students for six hours a day. Primarily First Nation students. Also supervised students in Long Term Care settings for eight hours shifts. Learning about First Nation culture and tradition was great. My co-instructor was great to work with, providing support to each other. Hardest part was seeing students struggle with personal issues while trying to keep up with the course. Best part was how proud the students were when they passed the course. My coordinator was very supportive, letting me make most of the decisions but stepping in when necessary.
Pros
working with first nation students
Cons
the course was contract work, year to year
I learned how to be a team player and challenge myself in my work. I had great co-workers and management. I love working with people and the clients were great.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Pay for parking
My current job position its rewarding. My coworkers team it's great they all have a great job ethics. unfortunately my company does not offer me any career advancement and that has let me to look for out side. I want to be able to build a career with in a company that offers the opportunities and room to growth.
I enjoy working in the hospital. This job is very important to me and gave me an opportunity to continue my education because of flexible working hours.
Pros
good benefits and good working environment
Cons
no parking