Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre logo
Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre

Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre Management reviews

Clear

enjoyed working with my colleagues

Management sucked and was rude to interact with. I felt after I was hired that had I disclosed I had a disability I would not have been offered an interview. I was constantly being criticized and Management kept tabs on people through other department staff so you often felt you were being watched but never knew by whom at any one time. Creapy.

Pros

the coworkers i had were great

Cons

Manager was not very nice to interact with

No chance for advancement and hiring unqualified persons

The staff are great, management is quite horrific (high turn over rate for managers, or they are sick...pregnancy ...no consistency). There are little chances for advancement and no empowerment for nursing. The schedule is horrible and they change it every few years- The brockville site gets little to no support (educationally) and they hire non qualified persons to manage nursing-

Pros

Pay

Not a supportive employer.

The pay and benefits are great but that’s about it. Staff are frequently bullied and discriminated against. Not an inclusive environment. Nursing staff aren’t culturally competent, trauma informed or use recovery language. They spend too much time online shopping Ironically, staff with mental health concerns are also not supported and rather, are pushed out the door. Upper

Pros

Great pay and pension and benefits. Unionized environment

Cons

Unsupportive management

The Royal Ottawa Hospital is not a fair employer

I would not recommend anyone to apply to work at ROMHC. They do not cate about their employees or patient care. For them it is all about the almighty buck! Very old boy club thinking and cover up for each other

Pros

Decent wages and benefits

Cons

Terrible management; very poor relationship with employees

An ok place to work as long as you never challenge management

Most frontline staff do genuinely care about delivering competent, accessible and respectful patient care but there’s definitely still a lot of old school management (ie staff bullying/intimidation that is often difficult to articulate and report). Ironically, the Royal offers extremely poor mental health support for staff.

Pros

Unionized, decent vacation

Cons

Terrible sick benefits (no short or long term disability for CUPE members)

Fast paced environment in Mental Health

The environment is very fast paced and can at times be stressful as you are trying to juggle many different facets of your job in an 8 hour work day. Management varies in their management styles, it all depends on which department you happen to work in.

Amazing workplace!!!!

The staff are very friendly, managements is great! Awesome place to work. The cafeteria has great food.. Nice easy on the eyes facility. Patients are well taken care of

Great Place to Work!

I loved working at The Royal. You actually have time to talk to your patients which is essential in psychiatric nursing. Management is okay and fairly supportive. There are lots of educational opportunities and opportunities to work on different units. The work load is busy but realistic. The pay and benefits are fantastic. The culture is fun, a lot of great staff.

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Educational Opportunities, Realistic Workload

Cons

Alternating Shifts

Caring Allied Health Professionals and Wonderful clients

The hospital has high demands on allied health to carry high case load, see as many clients as possible each day with little time for administration, professional development, and to close files up before client is able to be discharged to community based services (outpatient programs). Management and upper echelons are very disconnected from the realities affecting allied health, management objectives are not congruent with realities of needs of clients. Allied health colleagues are very dedicated to well being of clients.

Pros

Experience working in mental health

Cons

High work loads

Great workplace

The Royal Ottawa is a wonderful place to work, great scheduling, management, and job! I have enjoyed every shift here at the royal, everyone makes you feel welcome and is very helpful.

Jobs at Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre

See more jobs

Great management, great place to work

I have had a great experience volunteering at the Royal Ottawa for the past 2 years. The management at the Royal is very well organized and flexible.

Productive and fun work place

-assisting patients with different diagnosis and needs -Every work day at work is different so I learn something new every shift. -most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the patients succeed in the program. -Hardest part of the job for me is dealing with conflict between co-workers. -management is supportive of staff

excellent place to work

staff show respect and team work. CEO is dedicated to following up on staff issues. Communication among staff is transparent. Overall job satisfaction is excellent.

Fair place to work

I worked with mental health patients so the company gave seminars on safety often to help avoid incidences as much as possible. There were a lot of safety measures in place such as wearing a device that, if you pressed it when in trouble, an immediate alarm would sound at switchboard and an announcement over the intercom would tell everyone where to respond so lots of people came running to your aid. We also got CPR training, back safety, crash cart knowledge etc. I worked on the Substance Use floor so it was rewarding to see people go through being sober for 1 week, 1 month, 1 year etc. and returning to give me a hug and thank me for helping them. I had trouble with one co-worker only as she wanted to be the boss on every shift and when I asked her why, she didn't really have an answer so management got involved and she flew off the handle and refused to work with me.

Pros

nice building and co-workers were helpful

Cons

some patients could be combative (not their fault)

Environment which allows for younger workers to develop

This position entailed dealing with various stakeholdes on a daily basis which was the most enjoyable part of the job. I learned that sometimes organizing a meeting to make sure everybody is at the same place and has the same understandings on issues can cut down on future meetings. Periodically management allowed a bit a flexibility with regards to making decisions which was an attractive aspect of the job.

Pros

stable hours

Cons

competing priorities

Great learning experience, wonderful facility

A typical day at work involved multiple perimeter patrols of both the inside and outside of the facility. Whenever a code was called security was to be one of the first on scene. I learned quickly to prioritize and work as efficiently as possible. The management team worked really effectively with the security team to make sure the facility was secure at all times. My co-workers were great and very easy to get along with. The hardest part of my job was knowing that at any second you could be thrown into a volatile situation. The most enjoyable part was helping people.

Pros

great facility