Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre

Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre Employee Reviews

Canada46 reviews

mentalpatienthealthstaffenvironmentmanagementtimegreat

Student review

Nurses are very friendly to work with, always helping the students and helping each other out. Doctors and medical student are always happy to answer questions and allow student to participate in many "procedures". Overall very pleased with my experience

Stressful and toxic workplace!

1. Management?Unit Manager(s) & Supervisor(s):Have terrible interpersonal/communication or complaint resolution skills and couldn't care a less addressing and/or following up of legitimate, serious employee concerns, issues or complaints.2. Workplace culture?Staff pettiness, endless gossiping, false allegations, frivolous/childish complaining to management and the unbelievable histrionic behaviors of RN's, RPN's, unit managers and supervisors with known patterns, history and behavior.3. The hardest part of the job?THE STAFF YOU HAVE TO WORK WITH AND WORRY ABOUT!!! ... Your constantly stressed having to keep your guard up and walking on egg shells, constantly trying to avoid conflict, bullying, harassment from troublemakers eg; float RN's/RPN's, clicks and of course the infamous narcissistic, incompetent MICRO-MANAGERS with known patterns, history and behavior who have little to no experience or knowledge of patients daily routines or of unit functioning and dynamics. 4. The most enjoyable part of the job?Working along with dedicated, competent, MATURE and EXPERIENCED STAFF was an absolute joy and stress-free privilege (rare) and especially working with patients that are moving forward along their journey with their plan of care in achieving the same goals and positive outcomes as you would for them.

Insights into Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Good compensation, terrible work culture

The royal mental health centre in brockville is truly the worst place any one could ever work. The employees from nursing to allied health to management are all extremely unsupportive. The employees bully one another and are truly so awful to be around. This place will destroy your mental health which is ironic for a mental health facility.

Pros

Compensation

Cons

Everything else

Gain really good experience

I loved working at the Royal the team is incredible but getting a full time job can be challenging. I learned a lot here and my supervisor was incredible

Pros

Free drinks occasionally

Amazing workplace

Love my tea, the environment, and the workplace. Everyone is ready to help when needed. Staffs are really nice and enjoyable. I would recommend this to anyone.

I love working for The Royal Ottawa Health Care Group.

My work is very satisfying and provides the tools that I need to do an excellent job. I have flexible schedule so that I can balance work and personal responsibilities. I love that we work as a team and that I can share my ideas and learn from my mistakes.

Pros

Flexible scedule. Work from home when the job permits.

Cons

Meetings at a distance.

enjoyed working with my colleagues

Management sucked and was rude to interact with. I felt after I was hired that had I disclosed I had a disability I would not have been offered an interview. I was constantly being criticized and Management kept tabs on people through other department staff so you often felt you were being watched but never knew by whom at any one time. Creapy.

Pros

the coworkers i had were great

Cons

Manager was not very nice to interact with

No chance for advancement and hiring unqualified persons

The staff are great, management is quite horrific (high turn over rate for managers, or they are sick...pregnancy ...no consistency). There are little chances for advancement and no empowerment for nursing. The schedule is horrible and they change it every few years- The brockville site gets little to no support (educationally) and they hire non qualified persons to manage nursing-

Pros

Pay

Not a supportive employer.

The pay and benefits are great but that’s about it. Staff are frequently bullied and discriminated against. Not an inclusive environment. Nursing staff aren’t culturally competent, trauma informed or use recovery language. They spend too much time online shopping Ironically, staff with mental health concerns are also not supported and rather, are pushed out the door. Upper

Pros

Great pay and pension and benefits. Unionized environment

Cons

Unsupportive management

The Royal Ottawa Hospital is not a fair employer

I would not recommend anyone to apply to work at ROMHC. They do not cate about their employees or patient care. For them it is all about the almighty buck! Very old boy club thinking and cover up for each other

Pros

Decent wages and benefits

Cons

Terrible management; very poor relationship with employees

An ok place to work as long as you never challenge management

Most frontline staff do genuinely care about delivering competent, accessible and respectful patient care but there’s definitely still a lot of old school management (ie staff bullying/intimidation that is often difficult to articulate and report). Ironically, the Royal offers extremely poor mental health support for staff.

Pros

Unionized, decent vacation

Cons

Terrible sick benefits (no short or long term disability for CUPE members)

Great work-life balance

Supportive employer with great company perks including yoga, staff appreciation lunches, gym, and mindfulness. There's a reason they are one of the area's best employers.

Compassionate care, collaborating with team patient and supports.

Enriching work. The Team is comprised of Psychiatrist, Psychologist, Registered Nurses, Registered Practical NurseSocial Workers, Child Youth Counselors, and Recreational Therapists. Acuity changes rapidly and escalates spontaneously. Care planning and discharge planning are ever adapting to patient needs. Support to family and CAS workers is vital. Groups, activities, 1:1 counseling, active listening, and encouraging youth to utilized learned coping skills encompass the routine on the unit.

productive place to work and teaching hospital

great place to work . love it . friendly environment . teaching hospital. family As a rule, patients to correct diagnosis and treatment. good quality healthcare delivery encompass safety of patients and providers; efficiency of care without defensive or excessive practices; being patient centric; efficient, impartial and timely services oriented. most of the managers are good . multicultural.

Fast paced environment in Mental Health

The environment is very fast paced and can at times be stressful as you are trying to juggle many different facets of your job in an 8 hour work day. Management varies in their management styles, it all depends on which department you happen to work in.

Amazing workplace!!!!

The staff are very friendly, managements is great! Awesome place to work. The cafeteria has great food.. Nice easy on the eyes facility. Patients are well taken care of

Good people terrible pay

Staff is good here but it's a revolving door. They can't keep security staff here because the wage is unlivable and with a difficult rotating schedule getting a second job is also quite difficult

Great Place to Work!

I loved working at The Royal. You actually have time to talk to your patients which is essential in psychiatric nursing. Management is okay and fairly supportive. There are lots of educational opportunities and opportunities to work on different units. The work load is busy but realistic. The pay and benefits are fantastic. The culture is fun, a lot of great staff.

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Educational Opportunities, Realistic Workload

Cons

Alternating Shifts

Great work environment

Great supervisor, very friendly work environment. Flexible hours. Work is varied. Parking pass provided to volunteers. Overall very positive experience.

Good

i only worked through an agency at royal ottawa, good environment nice people very professional i worked there for a short amount of time, monday-friday

respect & dignité

je suis respecté, mon horaire de travail l'est également.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement