Royal Ontario Museum Employee Reviews

Fantastic place to work with great people
Indigenous Knowledge Resource Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 August 2018
As an Indigenous Knowledge Educator, I enjoyed the challenges the position provided me. Although temporary, I would not hesitate to apply again should an opportunity present itself.
Pros
Meals provided
Fundraising and Events Coordination
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 June 2018
The Museum building is beautiful ...I wish I could say the same for management, HR and overall culture. In efforts to streamline cost a number of departments are combined and managed by ineffective leadership and angry support staff. ROM want to sell to the outside world that its seamless to host events and its anything but seamless, it is so dysfunctional at times its ridiculous. Leadership berate staff in meetings for their own unorganized polices and crush morale of staff that have no power to make things better. Top executives demand event and fundraising revenues yet place incredible road blocks to achieve those goals. HR basically don't want to hear any concerns and direct you back to the problem senior management- I saw great people let go and the problem negative staff stay .... Unless serious changes are made it will never get better....
Pros
Free Rom Exhiit Passes
Cons
events and funrasing events seen as intrution
Dysfunctional Institution
Technical Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ontario30 April 2018
A bureaucratic environment that may not be sure of its place in a modern connected world. Put the collections on line and sell-off the specimens. The cabinet of curiosities is so yesterday.
Pros
Syndicat - 40 hr / semaine
Cons
Management and HR
Overall fun and interactive experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 April 2018
ROM offered me a volunteer experience in the March break to present different activities and displays for visitors. I like that I got to explore the museum during my free time and interact with other fellow volunteers and make new friends. During the time that I was there there was also many cultural themed activities such as air spray tattooing and addicting video games.
a very friendly/respectful environment with lots of opportunity to learn
Volunteer ROMKIDS (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 April 2018
During my week working in March Break Camp I really learned a lot and even though it was hard sometimes, I am looking forward to work with them again.
Great place to volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 March 2018
One 4 hour shifts every other week for weekend shifts volunteers and one 4 hour shift every week for weekday shift volunteers. Overall, excellent place to volunteer, great change of pace from the day to day hustle and bustle.
Great Place to work
Facilitator (volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 March 2018
If you love culture this job is for you. Get to interact with lots of interesting people. Volunteer coordinators are very helpful and genuinely care a lot
Environment is fun, dedicated, and passionate
Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2018
Incredibly enjoyable, the environment is fun and light, and I get to spend time talking to lots of people about a subject that I am passionate about. Great sense of camaraderie and team driven accomplishment.
An engaging, fast-paced work environment
Children's Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 January 2018
At the Royal Ontario Museum, the work was quite fast-paced and difficult at times. Often you would have to deal with unhappy customers. The other staff however were great and very supportive. We had several fun after-work events.
Great
Druxy's, Cashier and Sandwich artist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 November 2017
This was my first job. There was a lot of training and the place felt like family. I worked there as a cashier for one year, and loved it! I recommend this place to everyone who is looking to apply.
Pros
Family feel
Cons
Not a lot of hours
Volunteer Work
Hands on Biodiversity Gallery Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 July 2017
Fun volunteer work perfect for individuals who love children and teaching. Good experience working in a team and gaining knowledge of teaching large groups.
Fun, Education place to work and volunteer
ROMKids Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 May 2017
While volunteering at the ROM, I learned a great deal about the exhibits and programs put on. All my coworkers where kind and helpful if needed and spoke highly of the ROM, just as I do.
Pretty fun, has a lot of rules to follow but is a very rewarding experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 April 2017
Fun atmosphere with nice learning/education programs for kids. The ROM also hosts events for older people so it's really an all-around type of job. Pretty strict on the rules to follow but it's all understandable, work environment is very friendly and open. You'd have to be pretty knowledgeable of where each gallery/exhibit is and where the washrooms are. Overall very rewarding experience and would have loved to continue but advancement was a bit slow and I had to move on.
Pros
Free snacks, surrounded by history
Cons
Lots of leg work and lots of rules
Rewarding Work at a Welcoming Workplace
Gallery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 April 2017
Though the hours for my seasonal positions at the Royal Ontario Museum were long, I learned to communicate effectively with large groups of people, and people of all demographics. I worked with young children of different abilities, as well as older citizens who enjoyed learning. The most enjoyable part for me is seeing the wonder and awe in someone's eyes when they see and/or learn something new for the first time, and knowing that I was a catalyst for this experience.
Great place to work with professional colleagues
Visitor Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 April 2017
The best part about working for the ROM is the people I work with. Everyone is friendly, professional and willing to help; they're used to having new employees every so often, so they make sure to train everyone well. The atmosphere is pretty relaxed except for when peak season arrives and during special events (e.g. Friday Night Live). Pay is great, but the only unsatisfactory thing is that the number of hours for part-time employees can be very low. Overall, it's an enjoyable place to work.
Pros
Great work culture
Cons
Barely any hours for part-time employees
Great Organization
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  100 Queens park1 March 2017
Very nice organization. Good benefits, pay, and job practices.
Very well organized. Interesting place to work at.
A little bit too strict on policies.
Pros
Government job with all benefits of it
Cons
Lots of internal politics
Quiet, lots of exhibits to see
Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2017
Great working environment.
I learned a lot about Canadian art
Management is knowledgeable and helpful
Workplace culture is relaxed but busy
Hardest part of the job: not enough hours
Most enjoyable part of the job: learning something new everyday and the beautiful spacious environment.
Pros
Free viewing of exhibits
Cons
not enough hours
A great place to work
Accounts Payable Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 January 2017
I worked here for about 10 months as it was a co-op job but i really enjoyed it and the people in the finance/accounting department. Working here gave me a great amount of experience and a strong network system.
Productive and fun place for volunteering and developing skills
Education and Programs Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2017
Skills developed: Creativity, Policy interpretation, Presentation, Interpersonal, Organization, Teaching

Management is very friendly, and can ask them anything; also relatable people

Coworkers are fun to talk with and share knowledge
Pros
Fun co-workers
Cons
Sometimes slow
Excellent
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2016
Excellent experiences volunteering at the Royal Ontario Museum during Family Fun Days. I look forward to future events.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Ontario Museum. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4