Royal Oak Pub Employee Reviews

experience with the oak
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  wellington st. ottawa24 April 2018
enjoyed the challenge , would most likely go back and work for the rest of my career. I like working with the organization because they take the time to know their staff.
Awesome company to work for
GENERAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  KANATA, ON7 August 2015
Great company. I have learned a lot over my 20 years of employment. Salary has always been fair, as well as perks and benefits. I started as a server/bartender, and was quickly promoted to assistant manager and then general manager.
I arrive at work at 9 am on a typical day. I calculate end of shift cashouts and float checks and balance books. Perform a manager walk to check for operational issues and set up bar. Most managers working for this company work 3-4 serving shifts a week. I get the pleasure of serving people from 11am to 6pm... Essentially get paid for making people feel welcome and "at home".
I have learned inventory and cost control, yearly budget projections and how to handle difficult situations calmly and effectively.
Hardest part of the job.... Covering for people with a poor work ethic. Best part of the job... Making peoples day a little better. A lot of lonely people come to bars/pubs... If I can make them comfortable and bring a smile to their face then I have been successful.
Pub environment
bus boy (Former Employee) –  ottawa23 May 2014
learned customer service and hard work
tasks were repititive
customer interaction
co-workers were probably best part of the job
Pros
jason
Cons
late nights
A great local pub!
Bartender/Acting Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario (The Glebe)14 December 2013
Great pub-style atmosphere with a good base of regulars who made it fun to come in and work.

My only qualm is that their model for cutting labour costs did not mesh very well with my idea of what it means to give exceptional guest service.
Very organized team of managment and owners
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 May 2013
I've learned many things from the Royal Oak Pubs, safety , liquor laws and regulations, protocols, WHMIS training, and much more.

My work day starts by doing beer counts, organizing, cleaning, and prepare for our lunch and day.

When management is not availible I would be the one to take care of the situation. My co-workers are very well trained as well.

The most difficult part of my job is not having much room to grow or advance.

The part I enjoy the most is the people, and the unpredictability of the day. It's always a challenge.
Pros
meet great people, challenging, constant movement
Cons
no security, no advancement