Royal Crown Academic School Employee Reviews

Overall a good place to work
ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 March 2019
My experience teaching at RCAS was mostly good. When I read some of the negative reviews I wonder when they were written, because I believe things have improved since then. There is a new, very capable principle and they've recently moved to a new, beautiful facility that is much bigger than the previous one.

I found management to be for the most part respectful and helpful. My sense was that they wanted the experience to be a good one for all their teachers. I was impressed by the little things they did, like holding a really nice Christmas party and giving everyone a bonus at the end of the year.

The salary could be higher, but this is the case with all private schools, and I actually think RCAS pays better than a lot of them. And they now offer benefits after three months.

I had some difficulty with some disruptive students who didn't seem to want to be there--I did think that management could have explained more at the outset about mechanisms for dealing with problem students, because they do have them. By and large though, I enjoyed my students, most of whom were there to learn. They were definitely the best part of my experience.
Great For New Educators
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 February 2019
The reviews below have either been highly hyperbolized or the school has undergone a massive transition over the past few years. I thoroughly enjoyed working at RCAS. The staff - including the management - are indeed quite supportive, friendly and they have just moved to a brand new facility.

*I feel that RCAS is a great place for new-educators who are not looking to clock in and out. As a teacher, I saved some time by not having to prepare class material from scratch, hence why this can be a great place for new educators entering the field.* Although this time should be expected to be used for marking - classes are 2.5hours so it's understandable that there is more marking in these accelerated ESL classes.

Most students are quite respectful and many put forth a genuine effort to improve their English skills. Like most jobs, the environment can be what you make of it. Like most places, job security and benefits, exist assuming one is a competent employee and waits the standard 3 month waiting period for benefits to kick in, like most other jobs.
Terrible Work Environment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 March 2018
There are many poor reviews for this school already. Based on my experience, the reviews are very accurate. Here are the highlights of why not to work for Royal Crown Academic School (also posts jobs under Crown Academic School).

- rude admin
- poor communication
- hostile work environment
- no job security
- no benefits
Avoid at all costs
Teacher (Former Employee) –  North York, ON19 July 2017
Horrible pay and unrealistic expectations. They do not pay you what they promised and you will be overworked. Students are very spoiled and most of them are forced to be in school because their rich parents cannot handle them in their home country. Students are rude and mouth off whenever you try to do your job. There are no support or much resources to help you. CEO will try to convince you to just give them marks and credits after they have failed 3 or 4 times on the same course. Yet, they require a ton of paperwork in case the ministry comes and check the credibility of the school. Students are commonly 20 year olds who make no attempt to learn and routinely disrupt the class. All in all, low pay, horrible community, rude students, no support.

Thank you for your feedback.

• All new teachers at Royal Crown are offered $3200 per month, with deductions taken in the form of EI, CPP, and federal tax. The regular work week will be comprised of 33-38 hours. As with any teaching position, teachers will be required to prepare appropriate lesson plans, unit plans, as well as mark student work. Typically, this will extend beyond the normal school hours. Teachers can use their own discretion in deciding how much time is spent outside of school preparing such items, but should apply with the general understanding that this type of responsibility is common in any teaching position.
• From a behavioural perspective, the majority of students at Royal Crown are incredibly polite to our staff. As with any school, there will always be a handful of students who are more challenging to work with. It is our intention to hire teachers with the appropriate classroom management skills who are capable of dissolving disputes rather than escalating them. Compared with public schools and other private schools, overall the rate of behavioural incidents is very low. It is extremely rare and almost non-existant for a physical altercation to take place between students or for a student to swear at a teacher. The biggest challenge will be the occasional student with attitude or a student who is always on their cell phone. As classroom management issues go, Royal Crown is on the lower end of the spectrum.
• All departments have an extremely large and plentiful Dropbox or Google Drive containing resources accumulated over many years, which is shared  more... with new teachers at the discretion of the department head for the purpose of sharing resources. We do expect teachers to contribute new and original work to the resource bank, and we will not openly share the entire database to new staff at the very beginning. However, once a positive relationship has been built between a new staff member and the school administration, and the new staff member has demonstrated a strong work ethic by contributing their resources, then we are happy to openly give full access to our resource bank.
• The administration staff including the vice-principal, guidance counsellors, and student services, are always available to teachers to address any questions or concerns about students, give classroom supplies, and provide a full support system in any way that we can.
• Students who fail the same course multiple times are provided with an ESL/English remedial class twice per week, with the goal of providing them with the additional support and remediation that they need to advance to the next level.
• We will never ask a teacher to ‘give student marks’ or to pass a student who has not met the curriculum expectations of a particular course. We are a legitimate, credit-granting institution certified by the Ministry of Education, and we expect all staff and teachers to abide by the proper rules and standards. Teachers are encouraged to use every available assessment tool at their disposal, including the utilization of various strategies outlined in the Growing Success document (make-up assignments, extra opportunities, heavier weighting of items at the end of the course compared with items at the beginning). Our goal is to provide our students with every opportunity to demonstrate their learning, in line with the ideology that their final mark should reflect their ‘most recent, most consistent’ level of achievement. Students who have failed the same course multiple times are in extra need of assistance, support, and extra care from our teachers, and we would want our staff to be understanding of these cases and do everything in their power to help the student advance to the next level.
• We are inspected by the Ministry of Education once every 2 years and occasionally once every year. They have explicitly outlined to us in detail the specific documents that they expect our teachers to be working with on a regular basis, as well as the assessment practices that they expect our teachers to be upholding, in accordance with Growing Success. Examples include: lesson plans, unit plans, anecdotal notes regarding observations and conversations, assessment of/as/for learning, etc. All items are standard and expected in the teaching profession, with a stronger emphasis being placed on these documents in private schools as compared with public schools.
• The average age of students at Royal Crown is 16-18, as the majority of our students are in Grade 12. There are a small handful of students who are 19- 21, but not very many. Conversely, there are also a small handful of students who are 13- 15, in the younger grades, but not very many.
• The staff community at Royal Crown is friendly, approachable, and always willing to help out new staff members. Our welcoming community allows new teachers to feel comfortable asking questions and integrating themselves into existing social dynamics. Our staff is very kind, thoughtful, and over time has developed into a family-like community that has grown and expanded to include a complement of over 25 teachers of various ages and backgrounds, each bringing a unique and fresh perspective based on their own teaching experiences.

Once again, thank you for your comments and feedback. Teacher satisfaction is incredibly important to us, and we appreciate the openness of current and past staff members.

Beware of management at this work place
Teacher (Former Employee) –  North York7 July 2017
The management at this establishment regularly break their word and drop teachers on very short notice and for no apparent reason given. This happened to many teachers, not just me. Managment treat staff like a commodity and use them like a product to be bought and sold.The pay is not good. The benefits are non existent.

The students are good. Some of the staff members were very nice and helpful.

Beware of this place, They'll use you up and spit you out as it suites their purposes.

Thank you for your feedback.

• All new teachers are given a 1-semester (2.5 month) probationary contract with the option for renewal for the full school year at the conclusion of the contract. Both the staff member and the owner of the school will sign the contract. In some cases, the school will opt to not renew a contract, based on a variety of factors including: performance of the teacher, feedback from the department head, feedback from management, feedback from students.
• Our goal is to have a solid foundation of professional, high-integrity, hard-working, caring, and supportive teachers who will do everything in their power to both uphold the standards of the Ministry of Education but also satisfy the various learning styles of our diverse student body. Royal Crown reserves the right to not invite a teacher back for the next school year, or at the conclusion of his/her contract, if they are deemed to be not a good fit for the school and for our students.
• We will opt to renew approximately 80% of our contracts and invite a teacher to return. However, there are some teachers who have not been invited back, for various reasons. It is regrettable that we could not continue this professional relationship with the individual writing this review.
• At this time, there are currently no benefits. As the school grows and expands, the intention is to provide benefits to staff in the near future.

Great students and teachers, horribly exploitative owner, bad pay, broken agreements
English and ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 June 2016
This a private high school in Toronto that is geared towards international (mostly Chinese and Nigerian) students wanting to go to a Canadian University. First, the pay is terrible. It sounds ok at first ($21/hr) but it's only for classroom teaching hours, about 25 hrs a week. Teachers will work doing prep and marking for 40+hrs/week, so it works out to $13/hr. The students pay $40,000/year in tuition and the owner pockets the profit. There are also no paid holidays or sick days, no benefits, and no signed contracts. The owner breaks verbal agreements about class appointments with no notice, leaving teachers without a month or two of pay and stranded. No EI is paid into so teachers without work can't even go on EI if suddenly left without work. It's brutal. Another teacher and I quit and walked out yesterday because the owner promised us a month of teaching the Ontario Literacy Course and then broke his word with a week's notice. So brutal. Avoid!!
Pros
Small class sizes, great students, great teaching staff
Cons
Terrible pay (no prep time, no paid sick days or holidays), no benefits, owner profits at expense of teachers, broken verbal agreements

Thank you for your feedback.

• All new teachers at Royal Crown are offered $3200 per month, with deductions taken in the form of EI, CPP, and federal tax. The regular work week will be comprised of 33-38 hours. As with any teaching position, teachers will be required to prepare appropriate lesson plans, unit plans, as well as mark student work. Typically, this will extend beyond the normal school hours. Teachers can use their own discretion in deciding how much time is spend outside of school preparing such items, but should apply with the general understanding that this type of responsibility is common in any teaching position.

• Teachers are given a full 2 weeks winter holiday, and a long weekend in the spring. Our facility is shared with a Synagogue, and so classes are cancelled for many Jewish holidays in September and October. All holidays are paid. Teachers are free to take multiple paid sick days, as we will cover classes internally with available teachers. In addition, teachers are entitled to a full 2-month summer vacation holiday (unpaid).

• Regarding this particular case, the literacy course (OLC4O) runs during summer school, which falls outside of the standard 10-month school year.  more... Enrollment in OLC4O depends on the number of students who require this course, based on the results from the OSSLT. Fortunately, our students were very successful on the OSSLT that year, and thus the enrollment in OSSLC was low. As a result, we only needed to run 1 class of OSSLC instead of the initial 3 that was originally planned. Our intention to run this class with this particular teacher was communicated verbally with the full intention of running 3 classes. As with many private schools, enrollment can vary and be unpredictable, and we did end up cancelling this class. It was regrettable, but it should be noted that this period of time (3 weeks in June) falls outside of the standard school year contract. Summer school courses are limited in number and subject, and there was no signed contract in this instance that was broken. We will never break a contract in the middle of the school year and leave a teacher without pay. Our intentions were clearly communicated to this teacher, along with the possibility of change.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Crown Academic School. Our community is ready to answer.

2.1